Night Lords "Tenebrous Winter" (GREY KNIGHT 08/12)

AlanofAngels

Hey everyone! After an extremely lackadaisical week of painting, I managed to get the second biker done (I have to admit I've been daydreaming of Khorne Daemonkin a lot lately :wink: ):

gallery_47732_9950_352683.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_509127.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_116269.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_456227.jpg

So he's rocking the pistol instead of the chainblade. I noticed while painting that the FW bolt pistols are extremely well detailed, much more-so even than the GW ones. I also opted for the golden terror-mask on the helm of this fella; I've been loving that lately since it gives an almost samurai-esque feel to the helmet. That puts me at 66.6% of my ETL vow (lol :tongue.: )! Anywho, much more to come! Thanks for looking! :smile.:

@Vel'cona: Don't worry, I still am loving my NL! I just also have a small itch to scratch with Khorne :wink:

@IP: Thanks dude! It's taking its sweet time :tongue.:

Just for the lols, I through a collage of the completed claws together on some free software; you'll have to excuse my lack of skills with regards to doing photo stoofs:

gallery_47732_9950_542013.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_519178.jpg

I'm getting the Claw Leader for the bikers assembled right now, so I'll post pictures of him prior to painting. More to come! :smile.:

@Magnus: Thanks bro! Hahahahaha don't worry I'm still going strong! Must..... resist!

@Vel'Cona: Thanks a bunch man! It was just something I thought I'd do as a quick painting break, but I do quite like it!

Just getting the bike leader assembled so I'll post pictures soon! More to come! :smile.:

Yeah, I have to echo that the greatest strengths of these models are the crisp lines and overall neatness of the paint job.  Honestly, they're so cleanly painted that they look machine-tooled!  I'm super envious, as my paint "style" (such as it were) tends towards the messy and imprecise.  Seriously, how do you get your paint down so smoothly?  :huh.:

@Heinrich: Thanks bro! I'm a gomer for clean marines :tongue.:

@Scribe: Thanks dude!

@Vel'Cona: Thanks man! All I do is water it down hahahaha! I've never even used an airbrush before! 

So I started on the Claw leader but the camera is being weird so I need to figure out what's going on with the SD card to post the pre-paint photo; if it doesn't work I also have a picture on my phone I can use if all else fails :wink: More to come!

"Is Death Ready for a Redesign?"

Haha your choice of painting surfaces is so apropos! :D

Your work continues to be too notch. If this were high school, you'd be the kid that wrecked the grade curve for everyone else.

See, and all these pros are always insisting I need to learn how to airbrush!  I think I just need to get a steadier hand (good luck with that, I suppose).  Still, awesome to see the WIP on this!

wow, what a truly great NL thread. Your colors are great, the metalwork is top-notch, your edging and lightning work are *exactly* as bold (an not overdone) as they need to be... on top of that, sweet FW bikes!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

@Scribe: Hahaha thanks man! I wish I knew something about airbrushing but unfortunately I haven't used one before.

@Flint: Yeah that newspaper knew what it was doing :wink: Thanks Flint! I'm missing your NL lately!
@Magicman: Thanks dude!
@Vel'Cona: Thanks man! Yeah I know a lot of top notch people are pushing airbrushes these days, which I understand from an efficiency perspective (for basecoating andarmy painting). I still think brush work is better looking overall.

@Geektom: Haha thanks dude! I love the FW bikers!

Speaking of which, the Claw Leader is done:

gallery_47732_9950_141103.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_694666.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_492212.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_552260.jpg

And some group shots:

gallery_47732_9950_353373.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_553237.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_761970.jpg

So that finishes up my first ever ETL vow! Also, with some changes in my army list, those will be the only bikes to be done (to make room for some terminators and a sicaran :wink: I love those models too much and was perfectly willing to drop some bikers).

I do need to make a few changes to the 2 normal bikers in the squad as they will actually have meltaguns, so I need to paint those up real quick and do a hand swap on them, which should be pretty easy. After those hand swaps, it's time for my first rhino :tongue.: More to come!! :smile.:

See, and all these pros are always insisting I need to learn how to airbrush! I think I just need to get a steadier hand (good luck with that, I suppose). Still, awesome to see the WIP on this!

By "pros" I'm guessing you mean painters who do commissions or sell on eBay. May pros (as in competition winning painters) I have been lucky to speak to value traditional brush skills. Even the ones who use an airbrush and masking to start larger areas. And I'm not just talking Golden Daemon either.

Man, Alan, that bike squad is just brutal. I love the red stripe down the leaders bike, the iron warriors helmet, your trademark subtle lightning. Just beautiful, you make me feel inferior :P Seriously, evertime you update you make my day a little better :D

So, next is a rhino?? Will it be a regular Mars pattern or do you have some of forge worlds wonderfull upgrades in mind?

See, and all these pros are always insisting I need to learn how to airbrush! I think I just need to get a steadier hand (good luck with that, I suppose). Still, awesome to see the WIP on this!

By "pros" I'm guessing you mean painters who do commissions or sell on eBay. May pros (as in competition winning painters) I have been lucky to speak to value traditional brush skills. Even the ones who use an airbrush and masking to start larger areas. And I'm not just talking Golden Daemon either.

Agreed. It matters not the way you get the result only the result itself.

I really love these night lords congratulations on the ETL vow.

I love the red "speed stripe" on the Champion!  It's a subtle change that still makes a statement about the model's status, and the color is smooth and perfect as always!  How much do you thin your paints to get this kind of finish?

Archived