Night Lords "Tenebrous Winter" (GREY KNIGHT 08/12)

AlanofAngels

Hey all!

@Magnus: Thanks, man! Sadly I wasn't feeling them :confused:

@Dantioch: Thanks buddy! Loving your Ultramarines, even if they are foolish loyalists! :tongue.:

@Flint: I may sacrifice a few kids from time to time, but I'm not into witchcraft. I'm no monster! :wink:

Barely any time to get anything done, except I actually changed the red on the front to blue; I thought the red looked kind of funky IRL and being at the very front looked a bit out of place.

gallery_47732_9950_90073.jpg

I think that should look better, in the end!

In other news, with a minor change in my Army List, I have dropped the Terminator Lord and added a Sorcerer (with various goodies) because, frankly, I wanted a Power Armored leader because I think that is more fitting for the VIII'th. With that, I ordered a special model to be the base for my Sorcerer and he showed up today:

gallery_47732_9950_190861.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_855894.jpg

I'm extremely excited to be using the Dynat as my Sorcerer, both as a throw back to my old Alphas but also because he is a badass model with exactly the feel I want. I won't spoil the exact plan I have for him, but I'm pretty damn excited.

More to come and thanks for looking! :smile.:

Oh, no red front :( Oh well, still looks good :D

Witchcraft!? What is this heresy!? For shame, sir, for shame :P Dynat is a cool model and definetly one I have on my own bucketlist, I bet you will make him look really awesome in midnight clad.

I also liked the red. Still, you're doing an amazing job with the smooth paint job sans airbrush. Loving it. I agreewith SkimaskMohawk about the bronze area's. perhaps you could make the inclined armour panels below the exposed tracks on top bronze? Top notch work btw on chaosifying. Night Lords allow for some leeway in terms of chaotic implements. perhaps you could put some GS flayed skin here and there?

:tu: 

Thanks for the replies guys! It's funny you mention the color breakup because I was planning on painting the hatch cowling gold and then was torn on where to add gold on the sides. I was thinking, like Augustus suggested, of making those inset front panels gold. The gun sponsons and turret will help to break up the blue, too. I'm planning on making the sponson guards gold, so hopefully that helps to further break up the sides.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Bit of progress recently! I managed to clean up the red area I painted over, as well as broke up the blue portions with some more brass. The inset brass areas on the sides are where I plan on adding the VIII legion symbol in black. Today I got the first layer of highlights on:

gallery_47732_9950_683925.jpg

Later on I'll be starting the second layer of highlights and I might even get to the metals! TONS more to come! :smile.:

@Dosjetka: Thanks dude it means a ton! :wub.:

@Augustus: Thanks brotha! The Sicaran is definitely a joy to paint, and is challenging for me especially because it's the biggest model I've painted in probably 10 years.

Managed to get the highlights all finished today, along with the details like sheathed blade and sleeping bag on the back, which means the chassis is complete!

gallery_47732_9950_261406.jpg

I still have to do transfers, but I'm gonna wait until assembly of the finished model to get to those.

So now I'll be getting to all the little fiddly bits, like the sponsons, exhausts, bolters and turrets (ahoy!). Lots more to come guys and thanks for lookin'!

Edited by AlanofAngels

@Hydra: It's funny you mention that; I have a character planned for him in my NL force (not just a generic sorcerer) that would use the hydra symbols as dragons. The character will be somewhat based on Vlad the Impaler (aka "The Dragon"), tying him into Night Lords that way as well.
@Magnus: Thanks man!
@Kobrakei: Thanks dude! It's strangely a little harder on the tank since there are so many longer straight edges where imperfections show up easier.

More to come!

Just caught up with the recent cool updates.  32mm base are the way to go in my view for Power Armour models, they look cool & they look really cool for your Night Lords force.  Also like the conversion with the Forge World event only model as a updated Champion.

I'm looking forward seen the Sicaran when it all finish :D

Are you planning on getting the new Night Lord brass etching?

@IP: I agree! The bigger bases look a lot better on Marines, and if people have the patience to re-base their entire collection it looks excellent. I kind of lucked out because I only had to re-base 20 models and my bases aren't too intense, plus it motivated me to finally add the snow. 

Thanks for the kind words on the updated Claw Leader, I figured you of all people could appreciate the Iron Warrior vibe :wink:

I saw the etched brass and I can't decide. It looks really cool but I kind of like the transfers, and for things like rhinos and land raiders they already have specific doors. Really only the Sicaran needs some special treatment, but I've already decided to rock the transfers on it! I could see some of the stencils coming in handy though, with the lightning and the various Nostraman runes. 

Gonna get some more done on the Sicaran tomorrow, so more to come!

Thanks, Ludovic! I'm hoping it lives up to the suspense :wink:

I managed to get the exhausts and heavy bolter/cover done! Just got them attached:

gallery_47732_9950_665915.jpg

So that's almost the chassis completely done! Next up is the sponson plate inset and the front sponson guard. I'm hoping I can get them done tonight so more to come!

Hot damn. Looking great. Love to see what you do with the sponsons and the turret.

BUT...

One question is nagging all of us VIII Legion kids... Will there be trophies? That super crisp paint job looks great and all, but it is, after all, a Night Lords vehicle. And they don't leave  ....well, anything, without at least some skin or body parts attached to their vehicles.

So, what's it gonna be, Alan? Are you one of the cool kids, or are you just a crisp-blue-vehicle-painting XIII Legion wannabe? :p

;)