The Tempestas Crusade [ETL IV: VINDICATOR! VOW COMPLETE!]

Urkh

Once again, my birthday has been good to my crusade

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/birthday40k.jpg

That brings my drop pod count up to 4, now I need to hope for either another for Christmas, or I need to buy another so I have 5. I now also have two command squads, so I don't think I'll be needing another of that kit any time soon =)

Ty for the highlighting praise brother *sensored*_scribe. Took me a very long time to come up with the method. As for your other comments, I currently do not own or a drill, or every single one of my guns would have drilled out barrels. And oh crap... I actually meant to paint those blue before I posted it! ty for catching that, and I will have it fixed before my next game (whenever that may be)

Urkh, Hope I can give you some help with the barrels, as a drill is not necessary. 

I do use a pin-vice or two for larger mods and magnets, but for most bolter barrels, my favourite weapon is a 1.0 mm drill bit stuck into some plastic tube (dowel also works).   Drill bits (e.g. Rotacraft) are sold separately and are really cheap. 

Good hunting.

So, after going through the search function on the site for discussions on command squads, I couldn't find the answer to my question.

Does an Apothecary still still count as a "Veteran" for the purposes of taking upgraded weaponry? If not, is he stuck with his chainsword/bolt pistol combo and not able to take a boltgun? If that is true, then I have to pull an arm (and a shoulder pad!) off my Apothecary! That would not be fun at all...

Also, with the way it is written, the banner bearer is still a veteran, and can have upgrades. The only piece I have left to paint for my banner bearer is his weapon arm, and I'm not sure what weapon I would want to put on him. Combi-weapons seems popular, but the arm for holding a boltgun is the same arm as the one holding the banner (although, I don't currently own any combi-weapons, so I'd have to convert anyways). I know that picking the weapons for these guys is highly determined by how I want to use them, and quite frankly, I don't how that is yet. So to help you help me...

The list that I currently run has three drop pods, one has a HFx2 Ironclad, and the other two currently have crusader squads. These cause backfield disruption while an LRC (with hammernators) and vindicator get into their positions. Meanwhile, I have typhoon landspeeders and plasma cannon toting 5 man crusader squads in the backfield giving long range support. Two storm talons wait in reserves to come onto the board. It is a very tight list for 2000 points.

I probably could use a little more anti-vehicle in the list. I haven't gotten to play a lot in the past two editions, so I'm really not sure. The command squad would probably take the place of one of the crusader squads in a pod if I gave them combi-weapons for anti-vehicle. What other ways do you guys think they might be useful? 

Eek... I'm pretty sure the apothecary is just that, an apothecary and not a veteran. Battlescribe doesn't allow you to upgrade any of his equipment if he is included in your squad, not that that is a definitive source.

Command squads are great with Melta - they are a cheaper delivery than sternguard with some increased survivability due to FNP, so long as you run the apothecary. I would consider that once a command unit fires off all it's combi, it's not much of a threat any more. Taking one or two meltaguns over combis makes them a danger in subsequent turns, so forces your opponent to focus shooting on a small squad (who may shrug off more than one barrage of fire).

...PLATE OF DOOM!!!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20141227_001.jpg

Now there are two vindicators in my crusade. May the pie plates of doom rain upon my enemies as a storm of demolition sweeps them away!

Christmas, I love thee.

Also, not looking forward to taking the bolter arm off my apothecary and THEN taking the apothecary shoulder pad off of it and putting it on a different arm... Hassels...

• 1 month later...

Was a very quick game despite the huge points total. Turns out when you have a lot of things that can kill lots of stuff, lots of stuff dies. Sorry it is taking so long for a report. Between work and preparing for a netrunner league, I haven't had much time on my hands.

Some bits of information: the game was Emperor's Will, all the terrain on the table we were playing on was ruins, and there was like, 11 of them. I got the warlord trait that gives me +1 on my seize the initiative roll (I won the roll to deploy first anyways), and to reroll my reserves (the one I was going for). My brother got one that let him infiltrate D3 (he rolled a 6, so he could go up to 3), infantry units.

My list was

HQ (725)

Chapter Master (***).........................................................(255)

Shield Eternal

Artificer Armor

Burning Blade

Honor Guard (***)...........................................................(310)

x8 honor guard

Drop Pod

Standard of the Emperor Ascendent

Chaplain.....................................................................(110)

Jump pack

Melta bombs

Troops (1055)

Crusader Squad.................................................................(510)

x10 Crusader

Meltagun

Power weapon

Sword Brother

Power weapon

x4 neophyte

Land Raider Crusader (***)

Multi Melta

Crusader Squad....................................................................(135)

5 Crusader

Plasma cannon

Plasma gun

Rhino

Crusader Squad....................................................................(100)

5 Crusader

Plasma cannon

Plasma gun

Crusader Squad....................................................................(170)

10 Crusader

3 neophytes

Crusader Squad....................................................................(***)

10 Crusader

Elites (610)

Ironclad Dreadnought...................................................(180)

x2 heavy flamer

Drop Pod

Sterngaurd Veteran Squad.............................................(205)

x5 Combi-Melta

Drop Pod

Terminator Assault Squad (***)..............................................(225)

Thunderhammer/Stormshield x5

Fast Attack (405)

Landspeeder Squadron (225)

x3 Landspeeders w/ typhoon missile launchers

Assault Squad (180)

10 marines w/ jump packs

x2 flamer

Heavy Support (***)

Vindicator (***)

Fortifications (***)

Aegis Defense Line.........................................................(***)

Quad-gun

Formation (***)

Astartes Stormwing.................................................................(***)

Stormtalon Gunship

Skyhammer Missile Launcher

Stormtalon Gunship

Skyhammer Missile Launcher

Stormraven Gunship

Hurricane Bolters

Multimelta

sorry for horrid formatting.

His list had two daemon princes, one had wings and the torrent flamer gun, the other was on foot with the black mace. Khorn berserkers in a land raider, a full bike squad of khorn, 20 plague marines, havoks with heavy bolters manning a quad gun on an ADL, 20 cultists, a helldrake, a bunch of squads of normal chaos marines, and three squads of combi-melta terminators, two had 3 men, and one had 4.

have to get to sleep for work tomorrow. Will hopefully be able to write more up when I get home.

---

Edited to remove some base point-costs

@Sete: I believe I'm allowed to do what I did, am I? I thought what wasn't allowed what doing itemized points for upgrades and models. So, saying my crusader squad totals 250 points is ok, but saying that these crusaders costs x points, this multi melta cost y points, and this sword brother costs z points isn't allowed. 

Anyways, this was my deployment

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150220_004.jpg

from bottom to top: Shooty crusaders surrounding the LRC, assault squad, shooty crusaders w/ neophytes along with a rhino holding more shooting crusaders w/ a plasma cannon in the ruins, assault marines behind the same ruins, the aegis defense line, vindicator, land speeder squadron, and a 5 man shooting crusader squad with a plasma cannon holding my objective in the top ruins.

and my reserves

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150220_003.jpg

from left to right: the guys in the rhino, storm raven holding the terminators at its base, crusader squad with the chapter master that are in the LRC, two storm talons, drop pod holding the stergaurd sword brethren, drop pod holding Brother Morkdred, drop pod holding honor gaurd.

this was his deployment:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150220_005.jpg

bottom to top: chaos marines, forgefiend, inside the ruins are the 20 cultists and 5 havoks (one is manning the quad gun you see there, LR holding khorn berserkers, chaos marines in front of the ruins, defiler behind the ruins, bike squad, daemon prince w/o wings (yah, I know they're modeled on him), 20 plague marines are in the forward most ruins, and the daemon prince with wings is at the bottom of the board out of frame. He has all the terminators and the helldrake in reserve.

His flying prince was also a lvl 3 psyker, and generated smite, an ability that gives all my weapons "Gets hot" on a squad, and one where he rolls a D3 and it debuffs me depending on what he rolled.

Game starts and he steals the initiative from me...

He moves the flying prince towards the LRC and shooty marines on the bottom. Everything else moves forward as much as it can, except the walking prince, the cultists, and the havoks. The bikes were going to flank the northern ruins and were traveling along the northern edge of the table.

He fires the torrent flamer gun at the crusaders behind the LRC and toasts 3 of them. The defiler shoots at the vindicator, and the cover save from the aegis fails to stop a penetrating hit and it is shaken. various firing into the squad inside the ruins with the rhino, a few neophytes bite the dust. Overall, not the worst turn in the world

Templar turn 1:

My pod with the dreadnought comes in behind the ruins with the cultists and havoks where his objective is. The one with the sterngaurd drops by the Defiler. LRC moves up into the ruins, the crusaders and chapter master get out and move through the ruins 6" towards the chaos marines. The speeders move more towards the top of the table. Vindicator just repositions itself as it cannot shapfire its cannon. Crusaders behind the LRC move to still grant a cover save to the rear of the LRC. The assault marines move 12" towards the plague marines.

FOTS SHIRED! The speeders shoot at the bikes, killing 3 of them. Various other shooting kills a few of the chaos marines. The assault squad shoots at the plague marine squad, killing one. Brother morkdread toasted some havoks and a LOT of cutists (15!). The sternguard fired their combi meltas into the defiler, but all of them whiffed on the armor pen rolls (AND IN HALF RANGE TOO!)

The crusaders charge the chaos marines, and the assault squad charges the plague marines. Yes, that's two charges in turn 1 due to his infiltrating men and moving them straight forward. The champion and Sword Brother Sauron fight eachother, and kill eachother. The chapter master takes a huge swath of chaos marines down. Fight is won by 3 wounds, and the marines fall back. Even with the crusader bonus on my sweeping advance, he still got away (the D6 was a 1). The chaplain in the assault squad kills the champion in 1 on 1 battle, but other than that, no one died. 

Chaos Turn 2. A three man squad of terminators comes in behind my LRC, and another by my vindicator. No mishaps here. The four man squad, however, tried for near my speeders, and scattered far off the board. I rolled to be able to place them wherever I wanted, and I put them in a corner on my table edge where they would be no threat anytime soon (southern boarder). I did this to keep them away from Brother Morkdred. The helldrake came in and roasted the sternguard. 

Various shooting takes a hull point away from the rhino. The terminators blew up the LRC and the vindicator. Some more crusaders get roasted by the flying prince who is now in my deployment zone by the terminators who blew up the LRC. The forgefiend and defiler kill many of the marines who are with the chapter master (I positioned them to mitigate damage from the drake, and suffered to the defiler)

Around this time, my cousin shows up. I ask him what he thinks of the board state. He says, "Wow, it looks like (your brother) is actually in a good position for once! What do you have in reserves?" I then point to everything under the table. "Yah, your brother is doomed."

The combat with the plague marines continues.The bikers tried to join in, but failed the charge roll. Both sides do some wounds, but the combat ends in a tie. The on foot prince tried to charge Morkdred, but fails.

Templar turn 2

The Astartes storm wing comes in! However, the honor guard stay in reserves, despite my ability to reroll my reserves rolls. The raven V-lines it towards the helldrake, and the talons go for the biker and the defiler, respectfully. Not much movement other than that.

Morkdread burns the rest of the cutltists dead. speeders and a talon kill off more bikers, The Raven shoots at the Helldrake. One penetrating hit from the Multimelta. Daemon save failed. CRASH AND BURN BABY! Goes onto the havoks and kills them all. Lots of fire goes into the defiler, but only a couple hull points are stripped. 

Combat with the plague marines ensues. My marines lose combat, but the fearless chaplain does not let them even think about falling back.

Chaos turn 3

His berserkers get out of the LR and prepare to charge my chapter master and the rest of his squad. Some minor shooting happens that doesn't really affect me much.

The combat with the chapter master ends with many berserkers dieing to his burning blade. they fall back, but once again, my ability to sweep is hindered by 1's. the combat with the plauge marines ends the same way as last time. The on foot prince finally charges Morkdred, but it seems orks are not the only thing he's good at fighting. The prince takes off one of his arms, and he does a wound back.

Templar turn 3

The pod with the honor gaurd comes in at last!  it drops by the berserkers who are falling back and the small chaos marine sqaud from the combat in T1. The Raven goes into hover mode unleashes the assault terminators right by the defiler and Chaos LR, who are standing next to each other at this point. The talons move to be able to hit the defiler, but also be able to hover next turn to get a good position on the flying daemon prince. I start to move the crusader squad from the ruins that also had a rhino out so that they could try their hand at capturing my brother's objective.

The defiler dies to the guns on the talons and the speeders combined. The Raven shoots at the forgefiend, taking a hullpoint off. 

The terminators multi charge the forgefiend and the chaos land raider, killing the forgefiend. The combat with the plague marines ends the same as last turn. Morkdred didn't like losing his arm last turn, and decided he was just going to not take any damage at all from that daemon prince, while doing a wound back to him. 

Chaos turn 4

With no troops left, and all of my power options on the board, my brother concedes immediately.

In the end, I feel like I could have made better choices with how I used my sterngaurd, and what units went in what transports. I feel like the honor guard should have gotten the storm raven, and the terminators the land raider crusader, giving the crusaders an OS drop pod, instead of having an OS land raider. 

This was all from memory, so I know there's a lot of detail being left out. If we weren't on a time limit with the store, I would have taken notes of the game and more pictures. Hope you guys enjoyed!

Nice battle, and good report!

One question - I have only played against a daemon prince once, but he was toughness five, and your dreadnought should be strength 10, right? Didn't you instant-death him? Or maybe there's another rule at play that I didn't notice.

Actually, Daemon Princes from the Chaos Space Marines book gets a different boon... a Nurgle Daemon Prince gets Shrouded and Slow and Purposeful... not +1 Toughness... your Dreadnought would have killed it, unless you equipped it with Missile Launchers or the Dreadnought Close Combat weapon were ripped off.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been not doing much on the forums recently, but luckily I follow this so I know the ETL is happening! Here is my vow I posted in the strategium thread:

A vanguard vet squad all gunslinging plasma pistols, a dreadnought with multi melta and DCCW w/ Stormbolter, and a three man honor guard squad with no changes for 385 points.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150501_002%201.jpg

GLORY TO THE TEMPLARS! FOR THE EMPEROR!

• 2 weeks later...

The three man honor guard squad is complete

Brother Gregor  (I hate painting resin models...)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150509_006%201.jpg

Brother Vaike (oh dammit, some paint came off the top of his axe!)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150509_003%201.jpg

And Chapter Champion Brother Stahl

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150509_005%201.jpg

All three together

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150509_004%201.jpg

And a bonus, the entire Brotherhood thus far

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20150510_001%201.jpg

Just checked. No basing required. Pretty close to the top of the page of the rules.

Do not worry though firepower, one day my models will be based. Getting the actual mini done is just more important to me, and none of my minis' bases are decorated.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived