WIP thread - 711th CCAB (Chocochip Rats)

elmo

Thanks baz :smile.:

Work has started on the Baneblade. Not much to look at so far but the sponsons are built. So much going on at the same time :sad.:

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0648_zps18dee499.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0649_zpse72b4631.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/IMAG0650_zpsbdfb1d46.jpg

If you want to know how I went about with the magnetised weapons (special thanks to Sox for the idea of magnetising the lascannon turrets :thumbsup: ) then please be patient as I am working on a tutorial which will go live, hopefully, by the start of next month :wink:

Are you undercoating on the sprue?

Planning far ahead again... I was pottering around in my workshop/shed doing some cleanup after a DIY job and found an old football table base. It is 5-6mm thick fibreboard and it got me thinking...

When I get around to building up my HW teams I want them to be based so as to be able to remove one of the models as a wound marker. One thing lead to another and these where the result :)

gallery_62353_10059_39096.jpg

The discs are a little over 60mm (nearest size of cutter I had) with a 26mm diameter recess drilled out to a depth to fit the standard 25mm plastic base. They have just been painted with a watered down PVA and when dry will get a spray of black primer.

I only made 9 to start off with but I have enough fibre board for at least another 9 :)

If anyone is interested in making their own you will need one of these:

Lighting Holesaw, 65mm Diameter

and one of these:

Kitchen Cupboard Door Hinge Hole Cutter Drill 25/26mm diameter

and naturally a drill with a drill stand

I have made myself a promise as I now have 4 projects on the go at the same time...

1. Finish off the 10 x snap fit figures (this week)

2. Build 9 x HW teams on the bases I have made (assemble ready for spraying next weekend - ML, Mortars, Lascannons/Heavy Bolters)

3. Finish off the Sentinel I just could not resist opening in the last couple of days (this week - if time allows) 

4. Then concentrate on the Baneblade (I need to clear some space on the painting table first!)

Lets see how single minded I can be :tongue.:

Oh look - shiny thing - distracted!!!

I have made myself a promise as I now have 4 projects on the go at the same time...

1. Finish off the 10 x snap fit figures (this week)

2. Build 9 x HW teams on the bases I have made (assemble ready for spraying next weekend - ML, Mortars, Lascannons/Heavy Bolters)

3. Finish off the Sentinel I just could not resist opening in the last couple of days (this week - if time allows) 

4. Then concentrate on the Baneblade (I need to clear some space on the painting table first!)

Lets see how single minded I can be :tongue.:

Oh look - shiny thing - distracted!!!

1. Completed - no squad markings yet till I work out where they are going.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/297/a/b/troop_reinforcements_by_elmo9141-d83yy4w.jpg

2. 3 x Missile teams are ready for spraying

3. Sentinel is magnetised and about 2 painting days short of being complete

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/297/4/f/wip___magnetised_sentinel_by_elmo9141-d83yyqw.jpg

4. no progress :(

I had best see some of the Guardsmen putting these tutorials to good use in the upcoming "Big Guns" or a certain Commissar's bolt gun may have to come into force.. Morale officer and all that don'cha know ;)

I really enjoy the thought process behind the magnetisation, especially when I am forced to think a little laterally like with the scout roll cage and the Landraider Ares. A challenge and fun to boot :)

The Baneblade will be my greatest challenge so far... Will it fight against being magnetised? Will it win? This Commissar will not back from his duty!

On a side note - think of the chaos I am causing to the bitz sites... I never have any left over :) 

I've been away for a bit, sadly only lurking in the background. Work and real life have taken up so much time. I have done some modelling, but no painting sadly.  

Elmo, you are a master! Your models are spectacular! I'm looking forward to seeing your Baneblade. Do you by chance use weathering powder for the dirt/dusty effect? I'm doing a desert camo scheme too, though somewhat radical and would love to know your secret!

I think we need to expedite this "Big Guns" contest... I'm itching to paint my Hellhammer!

Fantastic work and oh so inspirational my friend!

Edited by captain sox

Thanks Sox :)

I have invested in some Tamiya weathering powder but only use it for the soot effect at the moment. My mud/dust is done using a sponge and the following colours in progressively lighter coats... Bestial Brown, Graveyard Earth then Bleached Bone. My normal mud for the DA is taken a step darker with Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown then Graveyard Earth - it all depends if you want European mud or Desert dust ;)

The Big Guns best not start too soon as my 8 in 1 Baneblade has not made much assembly progress due to other shiny toys (yes I am talking to you Mr. Sentinel!) :( 

+++ Message from the Commissariat +++

Imperial Guardsmen!

Recently the glorious 711th CCAB, during a minor skirmish on an insignificant rock captured human turncoats calling themselves Gue'Vesa. These so called Tau human helpers have now renounced their allegiance to the blueskins and have rejoined the Emperors holy armies. A decree of decimation has been declared by the Commissariat and once the punishment has been carried out, they will be absorbed into the 711th as battlefield replacements.

Have no fear Guardsmen, the Commissars will be closely observing these turncoats and on the first infringement they will be harshly dealt with.

The Emperor Protects

+++ Message ends +++

I made these Gue'Vesa during the 4th Ed, when they where an approved addition to Tau forces. Unfortunately they have been languishing at the rear of my shelf, unused and unloved for a couple of years so with my IG collection steadily increasing and with replacement Fire Warriors, now is the time to strip them and re-purpose them to serve the Emperor. The Simple Green awaits...

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/PA260001_zpsbac32af6.jpg

I think your Sgt. lost is arm..  a warning from the commissariat perhaps?

Shall you do these up in the same camo as the rest of your troops, or leave some sort of marking on them showing that they were once traitors that have rejoined the light?

No, not the Gue'vesa, pleeease!

Yesssss... Till GW bring back Gue'vesa ;)

I think your Sgt. lost is arm..  a warning from the commissariat perhaps?

Shall you do these up in the same camo as the rest of your troops, or leave some sort of marking on them showing that they were once traitors that have rejoined the light?

The arm dropped off just as I was moving them.. Could be a sign :)

They will be painted up just the same as the others. The change of allegiance  is just a bit of fun. It was more to do with the models where never used and it seemed a waste.