Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

My time hasn't been completely dedicated to renegades, for I got my hands on some Oyumaru...

For those who don't know what it is, it's a toy. It starts off as a rather hard rubber block and softens when put into hot water (`oyu` in Japanese) you can then shape it however you wish. After it has hardened you can plop it back into hot water and reuse it if you so wish.

Now, I read that it's very good for making moulds and takes detail well...

I had always liked the little details on the Cities of Death floorpack walls, at the bottom of this statue here:

med_gallery_63428_8145_833055.png

So I took a mould using a block of Oyumaru (I think it was about 600 yen for six blocks too. Very cheap indeed).

Once the putty had hardened I removed it from the model (which wasn't damaged) and pressed in some Green Stuff.

gallery_63428_8145_48426.jpg

And once that was hard (I waited until the next day) I removed that...

gallery_63428_8145_32173.jpg

And cleaned up the pieces...

med_gallery_63428_8145_87281.jpg

I only really wanted the four alcove-like pieces, but had mixed up enough GS to do everything, so I ended up with the skull and two winged thingies too. The moulding didn't come out perfect (perhaps should have pressed in the GS Really Bloody Hard), but well enough (as I'll be painting it up as old stone).

A quick shot with the pack, a single block and a mini for scale...

gallery_63428_8145_12750.jpg

And added it on to the Russ to represent (when I want it) Relic Plating...

gallery_63428_8145_4586.jpg

Two alcoves by the front hull gunner and the skull of the previous driver in front of the current driver's hatch (don't ask what happened to him).

One more alcove on each sponson.

med_gallery_63428_8145_34185.jpg

Stuck one of the winged thingies on the rear of the turret, and the second on the plasma cannon (when I use it as an Executioner).

That ought to stave off any and all bad juju.

gallery_63428_8145_57128.jpg

Now to undercoat it...

• 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly recommend picking up some Oyumaru if you can. I need to practice more, but I'm impressed with it so far.

I've photographed my undercoated Russ for Big Guns but haven't yet had chance to upload it. Will do tonight or this weekend if I have time to get on my PC. I also started basecoating yesterday.

Someday I must look into a Tamiya (or other) spray of a similar colour to Deathworld Forest in order to speed things up!

Lastly, with the rumours of what's happening to WHFB and the army product lines I'm thinking it might be wise to pick up more Ungors (40 more, to max-out my conscripts), and Empire Pistoliers... I am one for panic buying :D

Hopefully for cheap, wouldn't want to panic buy only to find out it's not as bad as rumoured :lol: I just don't have the time for additional projects currently which is annoying as it's something that would be very handy but I've got to be strict if I want any job of surviving :P For example my Big Guns Russ is still in the assembly line... :( Looking forward to seeing your Russ progress as you went the extra mile (or two) on building it :)

Kierdale - unless I missed it earlier - where are you getting the metal Mordian models from? Are they from an old collection of yours, or more recent ebay acquisitions?

[edit] Well, so now I feel silly. I've just checked and they are still available from GW :p [/edit]

Cheers

I

Isiah, you gave me a worry there! I thought they must have been discontinued since I last checked.

Yes, they're from the GW site. I picked up as many special weapons and lascannon teams as I could before those were discontinued (back when there were such rumours). I'm glad the basic squad is still available anyway.

Another couple of update photos from work:

Browns and Leadbelcher done (though the latter hasn't yet been drybrushed or shaded but for the punisher cannon).

med_gallery_63428_8145_57854.jpg

And heat staining on the barrel. The photo looks bloody awful on my PC screen. It looked fine on the phone!

med_gallery_63428_8145_39445.jpg

The cylindrical cover near the muzzle(s) will be painted up...something special.

EDIT:

a question.

Do you think I should do the relic bitz (the little alcoves) in stone or heavily corroded bronze?

Basically like the statue, or like the alcoves on the plinth:

med_gallery_63428_8145_833055.png

Trying to find you an equivalent green spray and using the Hex Code for Deathworld forest (6A6445) the nearest I could find is:

TS28 or TS5  Tamyia are not cheap but very good and you may be able to get them cheaper locally...

obviously these will need to be checked out before you commit to spraying everything ;)

http://www.tamiya-truck.com/images/tamiya_tools_paints/spray_ts/m_85028.jpghttp://www.tamiya-truck.com/images/tamiya_tools_paints/spray_ts/m_85005.jpg

Bronze :wink:

Stone is to DA for the Guard...

A very good point, commissar Elmo! Bronze it is then. :thumbsup:

Trying to find you an equivalent green spray and using the Hex Code for Deathworld forest (6A6445) the nearest I could find is:

TS28 or TS5  Tamyia are not cheap but very good and you may be able to get them cheaper locally...

obviously these will need to be checked out before you commit to spraying everything :wink:

http://www.tamiya-truck.com/images/tamiya_tools_paints/spray_ts/m_85028.jpghttp://www.tamiya-truck.com/images/tamiya_tools_paints/spray_ts/m_85005.jpg

And thank you very much for checking for me!

I had a look at my local hobby shop today and they have Tamiya sprays for about 450 yen each (not bad at all. I had to pick up a new black spray today anyway). I didn't have my pot of Deathworld Forest in my pocket at the time but with the mk.I eyeball TS5 looked too dark. TS28 looked like it would be right (after drybrushing on top and shading after that). I'll take my pot of Deathworld Forest next time to check before buying any though.

Thanks again!

I must look into this hexcode stuff. If they have something close to Elysian Green too that would save a lot of time on infantry! 

Amazing looking Punisher. What green is that?

Deathworld Forest over a black undercoat.

Then a heavy drybrushing of Elysian Green.

A lighter Drybrushing of Ogryn Camo on top of that only on the upper surfaces.

All shaded with Athonian Camoshade.

Love how that statue turned out. If possible, feel free to tell us your secret of success. 

Here's a quote from a few pages back when I had just finished the statue:

The statue was done with a black sprayed undercoat, then a heavy drybrush of Balthasar Gold. That got a heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade then I drybrushed Hashut Copper over that, a little lighter than the Balthasar (the two colours are almost the same to my eyes, though the copper may be a little lighter. Partially I just wanted to use up some of the older [copper] paint).

Had I more time I would have liked to have experimented with a Sepia wash and then a further Copper drybrush but the clock is against me. I did try drybrushing a little Burnished Gold on the hood rim and other extremeties, but I didn't like it much and it hardly shows, so I won't bother when I do another statue.

And yes, I used Nihilakh Oxide for the verdigris. I thought I may have done it a little too heavily, but I looked at a lot of images of old bronze statues and they get pretty black/green...plus you two seem happy with it! Like in GW's original video about how to use it, I put the Oxide on heavily and used tissues to wipe it off (in a downward motion). In areas where it gathered too thickly in crevices I used another, dry, brush to wipe some volume away carefully. On the back it came out a bit streaky in the middle of a curved area, but I put that down to rainfall :wink:

Hope that helps!