Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

Thanks!

The weathering was a bit of both.

Some Rhinox Hide sponged on (it shows up most on the yellow nose, less on the brown and green camo areas) then Leadbelcher painted within the Rhinox Hide. I think I sponged it on here and there too. Some of the bigger metal scratches were simply painted on.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have the FW IG index there's even more tempting stuff...

An Atlas sat by artillery (or any vehicle likely to take a pounding) can heal as well as an Enginseer (use both!)....plus the conversion would be cool. Might be good for an eBay salvage (how fitting!) rather than a new Russ kit.

And I might change the plans I had for my Salamander: rather than a Scout I might do it as the Command version so it can give a feiwndslu vehicle within 6" +1 to hit :tu:...as well as the modelling opportunities. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

and gave him a cig too as if he thinks at the back the sarge' isn't going to notice. The slacker of the squad, perhaps.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8193744898_cc05517d67.jpg

Wow its like Im looking at myself in the 41st milennininininium. 

• 1 year later...

Blows dust off thread

I’m putting off entering my Mentor Legion vs. Genestealer Cult Armies on Parade entry until next year and have decided to enter my Guard instead.

To do:

Make board - simple enough. Mainly dirt, some concrete to go with the basing of certain units. Some low cork-wall ruins.

Tidy up older models - the army was painted years ago and while this is not going to be a repaint, there are a few things I want to do to fix the army’s image: a few head swaps for starters. Replacing ‘normal guard’ heads with some of the WHFB Outrider heads that some of my latter-made officer models have:

gallery_63428_8145_19248.jpg

For example the two veteran squad sergeants:

gallery_63428_8145_26020.jpg

Off with his head!

gallery_63428_8145_12606.jpg

And his!

med_gallery_63428_8145_124485.jpg

Not even officers shall escape the purge!

To be replaced with ones more like this:

gallery_63428_8145_6459.jpg

In the fluff I had it that the veteran squads, having seen more combat, were less about the pomp and circumstance that the rest of the army held so dear and thus dirtied up their armour, covering rank and squad markings....

No longer!

gallery_63428_8145_14050.jpg

The veterans will be losing their green armour and weapon-casings, to be replaced with shiny ones!

And they’ll polish them bloody well!

If all that gets done quickly enough then there’s also:

20 more Homo sapient variatus penitents to add to the herd squad

5 Scions (though likely armed for KT rather than 40k)

A Hydra (currently half built)

Finally back with the most important army ;) Looking forward to it, especially the Scions :D

Still my biggest army....I think.

And the most tankological.

Buuuuuut GW announced that AoP is one day this year. Not one week for each game (AoS/40k)...I hope I can make it...

• 2 weeks later...

As well as the still-not-finished Mentor tactical squad on the side of my tray, here’s my WIP repainting the armour of the 20 veterans. Leadbelcher now, silver atop that next. The two sergeants have new heads and I replaced their las pistols with bolt guns.

med_gallery_63428_8145_217758.jpeg

Green armoured ones are awaiting repaint.

The officer in the lower left corner needs his sword redoing (airbrush, now I have one).

med_gallery_63428_8145_411730.jpeg

This chimera commander had a normal head and had it replaced...likewise the Medusa commander:

med_gallery_63428_8145_450112.jpeg

Beards still to do :D

I think I want to repaint everyone’s bases too...

Oh dear :D

Thanks.

Veteran armour repaint WIP

Back rank: Leadbelcher shaded, next is Stormhost Silver

Front tank: Leadbelcher done but not shaded

med_gallery_63428_8145_8742.jpeg

And here’s one with completed armour. Nice and shiny, as a member of the Lord’s Chosen Men should be!

med_gallery_63428_8145_21291.jpegmed_gallery_63428_8145_140187.jpeg

He’s peering at the hole in the top of his crappy finecast meltagun :D

I’m getting the armour done at a rate of about two a day in my lunch time at work.

med_gallery_63428_8145_576642.jpeg

Once the armour’s done muzzles will get blacked out, markings added to shoulders, etc.

I realise that, should I want to add more Infantry Squads, what with Mordians not being readily available anymore I would need to use Cadian models, which doesn’t bother me too much. The [Mordians] are from one regiment on Kierdale’s Shrineworld, the [Cadians] from another. Perhaps give the [Cadians] silver armour like these veterans, and to differentiate them I plan to add -on the left shoulder of these veterans- some script to mark them out as oath-sworn chosen men.

Anyway, back to repainting the bases of the rest of the army...

Three new conscripts/penitents...

One who thinks he’s Solid Snake

med_gallery_63428_8145_452938.jpeg

“GRENADE!”

med_gallery_63428_8145_319833.jpeg

...you can just see his spine-implant bomb too. In case they get a bit rambunctious. Or heretical.

And my favourite -hence three angles :D - I tried to get his hand close enough to hold the rifle but couldn’t quite...but actually really like how it turned out anyway. I like to think he’s firing anyway, and his getting his hand to his weapon to steady it as he moves.

med_gallery_63428_8145_597773.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_8145_648348.jpeg

Nine done so far. I gave one - not very visible here - a largish axe but don’t like it and replace it with a knife.

I’ve got enough lasguns for two more. The next nine will have to wait until I’ve got another box of Cadians.

And the armour is done on 11/20 veterans.

Note: "Frag out!" is the warning a US Army soldier gives when HE throws a grenade AT THE ENEMY. "Grenade!" is the warning given when THE ENEMY throws a grenade AT HIM.

Clearly he's catching the grenade, then, intending to sacrifice himself to serve the Emperor, and to save his squad.

Note: "Frag out!" is the warning a US Army soldier gives when HE throws a grenade AT THE ENEMY. "Grenade!" is the warning given when THE ENEMY throws a grenade AT HIM.

Clearly he's catching the grenade, then, intending to sacrifice himself to serve the Emperor, and to save his squad.

Aye, that must be it :D

On a more serious note, the ungors kit has options for hand weapons, spears and bows so you get a lot of arm poses (or if there aren’t quite the ones you want, it’s easy to to handswaps). :tu:

Starting to paint them.

Though I have 20 I only had lasguns for 11. The other nine will have to wait. I might get some Ryza lasguns (from Shapeways) for them as I love the retro look.

Just blocking in fur at the moment. After that I’ll give them an Agrax wash then drybrush the skin and fur.

med_gallery_63428_8145_590014.jpeg

Contemplative (praying?) one with (etched brass) Aquila on a cord.

med_gallery_63428_8145_45625.jpeg

I like making them so much - but will soon have enough for a squad of 30...a second conscript squad isn’t really viable, is it?

Perhaps some suicidal Special Weapons Teams...penitent beastmen wielding a pair of flamers(?) and a demo charge...?