Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

I had the third of my extra February holidays yesterday and got a fair bit of work done on my two infantry squads. Greens and metallics based, layered, highlighted and shaded. Done. Bases 90% done, just some branches to paint up.

Should be able to do the skin tones and red (epaulets) during my holiday tomorrow, along with minor detailing (scanner screen, etc) and that'll be them done.

Then the Russ...

Thanks, SevenExxes.

Finished up 1st platoon's two infantry squads just now.

First platoon, first squad:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8528475262_22bc99dcf8.jpg

And a close-up over the sergeant's shoulders at his auspex. Looks like there's something out there...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8528474890_2c71115516.jpg

First platoon, second squad:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8228/8527360573_cf835fe7df.jpg

And the sergeant. Upon uploading the photos I noticed the red splotch on his tunic. Will fix that before I sleep.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8528475002_050f7e2595.jpg

And one focusing on the Aquila on the end of his hammer.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8527360215_c2c68d5c36.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some more WIP shots of the Russ later this week...

Thanks, all!

Yesterday, looking at those two sergeants I had an idea to spice them up a little, colour-wise. With red indicating infantry and yellow indicating command, I've added a little -just a little- yellow to their epaulets and brassards/lanyards (which is it?): the ends of the lanyard ropes and the edges of their epaulets. Just sets them apart from the grunts that little bit.

I'll post photos when they're done.

Likewise all visible tanks crews will have blue (support colour) decoration and Pask (did I mention I bought him? ) will have blue with yellow edging as he's support-command.

I had given the Medusa-captain yellow decoration but am going to repaint those bits blue.

brassards/lanyards (which is it?): the ends of the lanyard ropes and the edges of their epaulets.

Lanyard is the ropey looking thing - via wiki and previous experience.

A brassard or armlet (British English) is an armband or piece of cloth or other material worn around the upper arm, used as an item of military uniform to which rank badges (or other insignia)

may be attached instead of being stitched into the actual clothing. The

brassard, when spread out, may be roughly rectangular in shape, where

it is worn merely around the arm; it may also be a roughly triangular

shape, in which case the brassard is also attached to a shoulder strap.

A lanyard may refer to a rope or cord worn around the neck or wrist to carry an object.[1]

Usually it is used where there is a risk of losing the object or to

ensure that it is visible at all times. Alternatively it is a length of

cord or wire with a hook at the end used to fire an artillery piece,

Looking forward to your next lot :)

Thanks, Elmo, lanyard it is then.

Here they are repainted, alongside the PCS unmodified mini. Only the trim `U` of the epaulets is yellow, the center is still red.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8226/8534745230_a0ce4af23f.jpg

My 4th of that mini is going to become a standard bearer.

I like the added colour, and intend to go back to the CCS medic and add white trim to his epaulets.

My veterans are going to need some unit colouring too. I have an idea for that...

...and hopefully Russ progress photos next time.

+++Message starts+++

Fighting is getting severe, casualities are high.

High command is demanding progress reports on the arrival dates for reinforcements....

Do not fail the Emperor......

+++Message ends+++

You are making great progress on your vow but bear in mind that there are now 3 weeks till the closing date - "The Emperor expects....."

Thanks for the encouragement :wink:

Work is progressing on the Leman Russ. Sponson and hull weapon options completed. Tank, turret and turret main weapon basecoated. Will be giving the latter pieces a second coat today and hopefully get them drybrushed. Shaded and brown camo to be applied tomorrow. That leaves damage and weathering powders...

...and I'll be doing Knight Commander Pask. Can't add him to my vow, but just for the glory of the shrineworld garrison.

Edited by Kierdale

Thanks,

NightHunters. I'll return to the Sons of Prospero at some time in the future -I still have a box of sniper scouts to make for them- perhaps when Forge World gets round to doing them. For the moment I'm focusing on mortals.

Talking of the mortals of Kierdale's World, it looks like they'll be getting their first taste of combat on the 25th (and last for a long while as my son'll be born about three weeks later).

I'll be putting up a couple of army lists in our list forum for C&C later today.

The Russ is progressing well: I got the green basecoated, drybrushed and shaded, and got the brown camo put on all but one side of the tank. Got to drybrush that then sponge the edges, shade, and then on to detailing.

The end is in sight!

A quick WIP of the Russ. Brown and green are done. I'm still working on the metallics. After that will come weathering and powders. The `hole` that Pask will sit in, which you can see is currently green, will be black.

med_gallery_63428_8145_222450.jpg

Will hopefully have it finished this weekend.

Thank you very much, Warrior Fish!

The green on the tank is Death World Forest (Base), Elysium Green (Layer, for highlights) and Athonian Camoshade (Shade). Simple but I like it. I used Tamiya weathering powders (A-set: Sand, Light Sand, Mud) which help to dirty it up a bit. Will be doing that this weekend :)

Kierdale, you are a military genius.  I surrender.  I have seen your work and have  come to a complete halt on my painting.  I have been batch painting an asembly line of Infantry for months and as I neared the end I looked here and feel inadequate.  Your guys look great.  Faces, colors, and poses all work together.  Damn you man, I now must go back and try to bring life to my troops. 

Brother Paen, thanks for the compliments. I don't think my painting is that good, but my system is fast enough and I'm happy with the results.

I can't do any more work on the Russ today but should be able to finish it on Sunday.

Then I need to quickly make a Master of Ordnance for a game on the 25th. The first outing of the Kierdale's

World garrison!

There will be photos (and blood!).

Better to paint many models well than one model brilliantly. Even more so when you're painting a Guard army :P

I've heard much of weathering powders (mostly the FW ones) and I'm curious as to how good they are. Easy weathering sounds great but I heard that you can't coat/protect them so they rub off or something?

Good luck in your first game Kierdale - the Emperor protects!

The Tamiya weathering powder set I got was very reasonable and hasn't rubbed off noticeably (yet!), though admittedly the models haven't been handled that much yet. I have heard that sealing powders can cause the colours to change.

Anyway, I do recommend them.

With my officers all being nobility I had an idea for the quick MoO I plan to make:

I have some old Empire handgunners that I've been fiddling with and one of them is somewhat bent over, with a pair of 40k binocs in one hand. He's going to be repurposed as my MoO's vox carrier and general dogsbody. The leaning pose will make him look weighed under with radio-gear, and his hand looks like he's proffering the binocs to his master. His facial hair and hood/hat make him look a bit like Baldrick from Blackadder, which helps!

Gotta cram him and the MoO onto one base...perhaps some steps...

Will hopefully have some WIP shots (and a completed Russ!!!) tomorrow or Monday.

I used Forge World's weathering powders on my Tomb Stalker a couple of years ago and haven't noticed any real degradation of the effect, but again it does mostly live in a glass display case. ^^;

The Leman Russ is now completed, along with my LPC oath:

med_gallery_63428_8145_4025663.jpg

...dozer, HK missile, sponsons, heavy stubber and Pask himself are all removeable.

med_gallery_63428_8145_7489174.jpg

A close-up of the blessing on the engine, complete with enginseer's signature.

med_gallery_63428_8145_101950.jpg

Other side, showing HK mounting and the tank's shield (`Pride`, with a crowned red lion).

med_gallery_63428_8145_5619003.jpg

Eradicator, with heavy flamer sponsons. Black scoring on the HK rail and track cover in front from missile launches.

gallery_63428_8145_78367.jpg

Sponsonless Russ (was careful to make sure the camo matched up with and without sponsons) with battle cannon. Note the seal on the lascannon: praying for a `6`.

gallery_63428_8145_73367.jpg

Vanquisher with multi-melta sponsons.

gallery_63428_8145_124614.jpg

And plasma sponsons.

gallery_63428_8145_170167.jpg

A better shot of the full Vow forces:

med_gallery_63428_8145_6356851.jpg

And, as ZDog over on the Boot Camp suggested a Master of Ordnance would help in my game on the 25th, I have begun construction...

gallery_63428_8145_102802.jpg

That WIP hand railing-turned-handset will be attached by a wire to private Dogsbody here:

gallery_63428_8145_53528.jpggallery_63428_8145_694.jpg

The MoO himself will be stood atop some steps, with Dogsbody at the bottom.

Work begins on the base:

gallery_63428_8145_75754.jpg

Have glued spare lead into the base so it doesn't fall over.

EDIT: edited in a few better photos.

Edited by Kierdale