Shrineworld Garrison (what’s still legal??)

Kierdale

Thanks, WarriorFish. Simply repeated drybrushing and shading, drybrushing and shading.

And he's done!

Completed for Regiments of the B&C: Heroes of the Guard, I give you sergeant Sergei Dragunov of the 1st Stoutfort Rangers: a volunteer regiment of homo sapiens rotundus sharpshooters and refugees from their lost homeworlds.

His squadmates Barrett, Whitworth, Steyr and cousins Mosin and Nagant, Heckler and Koch will all be made in good time.

med_gallery_63428_8145_107846.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_4831.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_105504.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_211008.jpgmed_gallery_63428_8145_315063.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Salamander is on the back burner though I have all the bitz I need now.

For the upcoming Pride of the Guard I'm working on a monument to General Charles Kierdale III...

The base is a camembert container which I found had artillery shell-like bulges on the bottom.

med_gallery_63428_6841_19918.jpg

Various offerings have been placed about its base, and prayers stuck to its sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along very well! I'd put a small line on the "shells" to make them look more like some ordnance so you can see the warhead, or perhaps a different colour for it? I think the side is a great blank sheet for transfers/scribble script if you have the time and patience!

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I think I'll add a (rhinox hide) line across the shells. I thought about doing the tips steel but I don't want it to look like they are actual shells, so I'll keep it all bronze.

I'm checking my stock of posters to see if I have anything suitable/the right size.

And I'm done! In the end I did do the tips of the shells steel. :)

Monument to General Charles Kierdale III

Hidden Content
Erected after his fall, which brought an end to the Infernumundi Campaign, the monument to general Charles Kierdale III was built in the Citizens’ Square in the capital of Kierdale’s Shrineworld to commemorate the 12 worlds conquered by the 49th Expeditionary Force under his command. The granite cylinder was laser-cut from the volcanic plains upon which the final battle took place and inlaid with a single silver-tipped bronze artillery shell for each of the worlds conquered in the name of the Golden Throne:

Chyror

Duenth II, III and V

Nalung 7

Tonis Secundus

Therwor Beta and Gamma

The orbital cities of Cedicu

Bryceport

Geldfen II

and finally Infernumundi itself.

The statue of general Kierdale is cast of bronze mined on those conquered planets where it could be mined, and was forged on the shrineworld itself, picts taken by imbedded scriveners providing the inspiration for the statue’s pose: depicting the general as he ordered the final assault against the Greenskin horde from the cupola of his Baneblade command tank. The massive skull of the Ork warboss slain at the end of the offensive is mounted upon the monument between the general’s statue and an Aquila and Imperial Guard emblem toward the rim.

The monument to General Charles Kierdale III is a common place of prayer for the families of those serving offworld with the shrineworld’s regiments, with offerings of flowers, food and alcohol often left at its base and prayer sheets and entreaties to Him upon the Golden Throne often stuck to its sides.

Images

Hidden Content
med_gallery_63428_6841_32836.jpgmed_gallery_63428_6841_275884.jpgmed_gallery_63428_6841_380222.jpgmed_gallery_63428_6841_596056.jpgmed_gallery_63428_6841_571354.jpg

A couple of the offerings(?): a golden aquila and a helmet...

med_gallery_63428_6841_273209.jpg

med_gallery_63428_6841_67103.jpg

And the ubiquitous bird droppings...

med_gallery_63428_6841_150484.jpg

If I have time at the weekend I'll take some photos with models around it.

I haven't had chance to check if the link still works, but I got the posters long ago...Here.

• 4 months later...

Chaos has me for this year's ETL too, but I'm buying an Ork Dakkajet tomorrow to convert/clean it up into an IG flyer (as I remember someone else did a year or two back). Buying it before the increase the price and add in more Ork bitz I won't need!

What would you recommend (bearing in mind DftS comes out this weekend)...a Thunderbolt might be too big? A Lightning or Avenger?

Thanks, Nighthunters, but I eventually went for a Lightning in the end.

Firstly I've seen another member of the IG forum (who, I don't remember...I'll have to search) who made a Thunderbolt from a Valk kit. It looked great and was of a decent size so maybe I'll do that sometime. Plus the Ork flyer is 2HP and a Thunderbolt, IIRC 3HP...I don't think my little flyer has enough bulk.

I didn't go with an Avenger as I want it to be a fighter (presuming that the Avenger will be 'Attack' when FW puts out the rules) and I couldn't find a good place to put the Gatling cannon.

But for some Green Stuff filling, it's built, so soon I'll post some photos and the background I wrote up.

DftS leaves Guard out in the cold, along with the FW units. I have no idea when (or if?) an FAQ for the FW units is coming to bring them in line with the new book? I'm more of a ground person, so I'm afraid I can't offer much help!

Here's the background on the fighter:

The Martlet

Hidden Content
The Martlet

A small aerospace fighter from the Mechanicus world of Alceforge, the Martlet is technically similar in performance, armour and armament to that of the more common and most often considered more graceful Lightning air superiority fighter. The Martlet’s STC, believed to have been an design dating back to man’s early colonial wars during the expansion in the Dark Age of Technology, had been since unused and kept deep in the archives of Alceforge until the nearby shrineworld of Kierdale’s World requested the adeptus mechanicus to supply them with air power at short notice. Lightnings and the larger Thunderbolts would have taken much time to fabricate - and in truth the desperate tone and lack of proper salutations of the provincial baron-governor’s request had grated with the magos - and so the dust was blown off the old, simple, yet rugged Martlet design and the small fighters were put into expedited production, over a hundred churned out of the forgeworld’s foundries before magos Glosta shipped them off, glad to see the back of the unsightly design.

Nicknamed `legless` due to its lack of undercarriage - a nickname which stuck with ground crews who claimed that anyone who chose to strap themselves into one of the fighters had to be drunk - the Martlet is built around a single 5AA8-29 engine (larger than and superior in performance to one of the Lightning’s two F100-XB afterburning turbofans). This powerful engine is both one of the fighter’s strengths and weaknesses, for while a Lightning can remain airborne should it lose one engine, many a Martlet pilot has found themselves in peril should the 5AA8-29 be damaged. A handful of skillful pilots who lost their engine have, it is often quoted by advocates of the fighter, managed to land their ships making use of its booster ramjets: a pair of smaller engines built into the wing roots with offset nozzles. It is these ramjets which give the Martlet its superior maneuverability; the short firing of one can sent the fighter aerobatically spiraling and jinking through the air, or both give it a boost enabling it to intercept even advanced Xenos aircraft.

The Martlet’s armour is thick and heavy hence its powerful engine and ramjet compliment, with its greatest weaknesses being the yawning air intake at the nose, and the lack of armour about the rear sections of the main engine (the enginseers of Alceforge excused this as being for cooling purposes). Though rated for low-orbit, the Marlet is seldom piloted at such altitudes without considerable blessings and the consecration of new breathing apparatus and cockpit seals.

Armament consists of a pair of lascannons mounted in the leading edges of the wings, enabling it to take out enemy fighters quite confidently with a single shot and engage vessels far larger than itself. This is supplemented with a long-barrelled autocannon mounted off the plane’s centerline, the Martlet’s machine spirit being entrusted with trimming the plane to handle the cannon’s recoil. The cannon is mounted on the starboard side of the nose and is commonly damaged by rookie pilots who have not yet mastered how to belly-land the Marlet or land it perfectly on the launch cradles provided by the mechanicus.

The striking similarity of the Martlet fighter to many Greenskin planes is rumoured to originate with an attack at which the legendary Mekboy Orkimedes was present, either upon Alceforge itself or during a battle against Imperial forces fielding Martlets.

Such similarities and general rumours are quashed at every opportunity by the machine priests of Mars.

And the WIP images. It's pretty much done but for some GS filling of chipped orky armour panels and where ammo feeds are going into the wing-mounted lascannons. Those areas will be smoothed over

...and of course there's the cockpit to add in the end.

med_gallery_63428_8145_748.jpg

med_gallery_63428_8145_183680.jpg

Cockpit details.

med_gallery_63428_8145_48780.jpg

And one undecided point:

to add (or not) an Aquila piece sticking out of the front air intake (there is a structural post vertical in there which would be the mounting point). Thoughts?

med_gallery_63428_8145_448841.jpg

There's an aquila on one wing and a winged skull on the other (reversed on the underside), and finally the painting scheme will help make it look Imperial, of course. :smile.:

Surprising how easily an Ork vehicle can be converted, I'm not sure on the intake aquila though. It'd look Imperial but I'm not sure if it'll work on the overall model - perhaps something best decided on once you've finalised the rest of the model?

I do like this idea

How about putting a cone in the air intake like this 

You could even make it more pronounced so it becomes like a nose cone on the plane

http://d1h8qm6whtl6z3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Jet-engines.jpg

Thanks for the intake suggestions...

...you coulda mentioned them before I glued it together! :D (not that I gave you the chance)

I might see about building the post up inside the intake after I've painted the rest of it, as some suggested.

Anyway, the Martlet is away in a box until the ETL is over (or I feel the need to do some construction rather than painting for a change).

Surprising how easily an Ork vehicle can be converted, I'm not sure on the intake aquila though. It'd look Imperial but I'm not sure if it'll work on the overall model - perhaps something best decided on once you've finalised the rest of the model?

It's almost like they were all stolen, or lost STC's. I wonder. I have seen so many fantastic builds with this kit. My favorite was a viper from, BSG. Edited by walter h

• 9 months later...