Is that the answer to: "How many hands does it take to count Charlo's failed vows?" :tongue.:

May favourite part of the hobby is probably the personalisation and detailing. The ETL timelime kind of pushes that to the back, so I ended up with stuff I wasn't 100% satisfied with, so I'm putting a bit more effort into these models.

Edited by Xenith

So, my third tactical squad has been missing a sergeant for about 8 years. No longer. The plasma cannon, plasma gun tactical squad has a new leader, Vet. Serge Solon:

gallery_58096_13426_361228.jpg

'The Arbitrator', Solons oversized combi plasma dates back to the closing days of the heresy, as does his full set of Mk6 power armour.

He'll be joining these guys in battle:

gallery_58096_13426_18612.jpg

I guess I'm a little concerned that my painting scheme, style and ability has changed so much that he will look out of palce with these other guys...but that's why battle companies have six tactical squads, right?

Edited by Xenith

• 3 weeks later...

After a long, arduous tot up and conversion to 8th ed point values, I'm happy to say my BA collection currently sits at around 8500pts fully painted. It shouldn't take too much to push this to over 10,000 points, and hopefully I can do this by the end of the year, unless I get too distracted by my Tyranids and Thousand Sons.

I may have too many armies.

So I've begun long process of updating all the old photobucket links with B&C gallery links, but it's going to take a while...sooo boring. In the meantime, all my older photos have been uploaded to B&C.

As I mentioned in the BA today thread, I picked up the intercessors starter kit and a couple of demo primaris sprues to begin making a unit to see how they stack up against regular marines, both in modelling and painting.

In a trip to my lock up I raided my main bits box and pulled out a couple of old metal models that need some love, the mk3/8 sergeant with power maul and the old sternguard with combi plasma, as well as a melta gunner. Next up will be a 5 - 10 man tactical squad, then maybe some sternguard.

Edited by Xenith

I approve old metal figures. Waiting to see them painted. One of my projects in the pipeline is an Honor Guard made from 2e/3e metal figures.. Metal figures are the best.

I've made it a point for my sternguard and my current vanguard vets to be the old metal blood angel marines.. Unfortunately I also have 10 plastic vanvets sitting in my box (storm shields etc.) which means I won't be able to totally go metal only for my vets.

Interesting ideas - the ones I pulled out are not 'old' old, more like 4th ed, so almost 15 years ago. I do have old old 2nd ed metals that I was going to induct into the 2nd company, but an now wondering if they might make better veterans... Any pics of yours, Spagunk?

I do also have the metal standard bearer and priest from the old command squad, Appiah, they're on the list. I sliced the standard bearers bolter hand off a long time ago, I need to replace it and work up the courage to sculpt a banner!

Edited by Xenith

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

It's been a while since I worked on my BA, between being busy with work, World of Tanks and building a new Tyranid army for the new edition, however I want to try and get through my backlog of stuff, and keep building the Chapter! First up is a Dread, and old school metal Furioso that I stole the arms for wen building Kaspar the Destroyer. he gets a regular set of Ven Dread arms with interchangeable weapons.

gallery_58096_12427_89820.jpg

I've also embiggened him with spacers at the ankles and waist, but not quite so much as I did his chaotic cousin.

gallery_58096_12427_407888.jpg

A marine now only comes to about his waist, adding about 4mm in total.

Over the weekend I got a basecoat down on this guy, more pics to come.

Continuing work on Ancient Borgio:

I added a little freehand to the armour

gallery_58096_12427_31417.jpg

Stirland battlemire all over the base

gallery_58096_12427_702648.jpg

Chapter symbol. I havent worked out whats going on that lower plate yet

gallery_58096_12427_333676.jpg

And my first playing around with copper paints and the nihilakh oxide. Good fun. Assault cannon is removable.

gallery_58096_12427_415441.jpg

EDIT:

I've also started repairing broken photobucket links. Bear with me, there's like 4 years worth of stuff there...

Edited by Xenith

And I'm calling him complete, for now. Maybe once he's been in battle he can get some more honours and a bit more weathering.

gallery_58096_12427_387156.jpg

gallery_58096_12427_335717.jpg

gallery_58096_12427_543116.jpg

gallery_58096_12427_332991.jpg

EDIT: Looking at these snaps,. I forgot to finish the lenses on the waist section, whoops!

Edited by Xenith

This came out very nice Xenith.

I like the way you embiggened him very much.

Did you just stack some metal washers in those joints there or ?

I stripped my old metal dread quite some time ago and never remade him since I had built the newer fellas ...

I will steal that idea when he gets rebuilt now *nod.

Suppose one should always have some something to threaten to dread sock with ... damned kids =)

Codex season makes me all project oriented hehheh.

Perhaps we will see the chapter ancients get some love since they had a thing going in Angels Blade there last year. More usable I mean.

Anyhow, came out very nice for sure. Saweet old model.

This came out very nice Xenith.

I like the way you embiggened him very much.

Did you just stack some metal washers in those joints there or ?

Thanks! On the biggenning: Just stacking washers leaves the join a bit brittle, as the washers crack apart, and the pins dont fit into the holes so well.

On other dreads I've pinned the foot and waist, however on this one I added a blob of green stuff into any holes, and a tiny tiny bit between washers and metal model.

Theres a single washer in Borgios ankles, and two thicker ones at the waist - the chaos dread above I think has two at the ankles, and the feet are pinned. The other librarian dread I did has spacers and pinned feet.

You can add another washer at the arms too for more bulk, but I skipped that this time.

Fiery design on the Plasma is ace. How do?!

Nothing but brush control!

3 thin coats of averland over the chaos black spray, slightly thinned meph red and a detail brush, draw wibbly lines from the muzzle of the gun backwards, then go back and tidy them up and make them slightly thicker towards the base. Painting 'U' shapes between wibbles joins them together, then just fill in the red outline.

Edited by Xenith

Kool.

Really gives it a nice look.

I had not rebuilt my old one because the stature seemed off compared to the new ones.

This solves that nicely - thanks for the idea.

No worries - the old metals are almost identical to the new ones - the metal ones are smaller as they never came with the scenic base the new ones do.

I'm travelling at the moment but I can get you dimensions of the washers i used if you like.