And I'm calling him complete, for now. Maybe once he's been in battle he can get some more honours and a bit more weathering.

gallery_58096_12427_387156.jpg

gallery_58096_12427_335717.jpg

gallery_58096_12427_543116.jpg

gallery_58096_12427_332991.jpg

EDIT: Looking at these snaps,. I forgot to finish the lenses on the waist section, whoops!

The free hand on that is exquisite mate. And don't think I did notice those red and white checked panels - very nice!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I finally pulled my finger out and did some work on the vindicator. On and off painting all day and it's essentially tabletop ready, minus the storm bolter and gluing the siege shield on. Freehand is to be decided on and I'll probably work on it this week.

gallery_58096_11967_415296.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_1100144.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_450668.jpg

I really want some kind of frieze on the rest of the shield, Sanguinius smiting some fools, but I don't know if my imagination and freehand for figures is up to scratch. I'll be poking around the web for some inspiration.

EDIT: Looking back on the last couple of PLog pages, I've completed a single tactical marine and a dread since last July. 2 Minis in 5 months. That's pretty bad, even if I have been working on my Tyranids (still, only 18 models finished there...) I'm going to have to step up my game!

Edited by Xenith

Thanks both! The relief was an experiment that turned out well :)

The charring round the barrel was just a solid coat of chaos black over leadbelcher, and then drybrushed back to leadbelcher, getting lighter on the brushing towards the barrel end.

Still a big advance on my own old method: splosh it with nuln oil and see what happens :yes:

Haha, I still do that too. What I did before was:

Nuln oil over whole barrel

Agrax over front third of barrel

Nuln over front quarter of barrel

3rd coat of nuln at front of barrel.

Okay, so a thing happened. I went for the Dozer Fresco. This was sketched out in about 20 mins, then base colours done in about an hour. It was surprisingly intuitive.

gallery_58096_11967_1671808.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_413783.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_556054.jpg

The name 'Damocles' just doesn't fit this Vindicator anymore. I might go with 'Wall of Terra'.

There's still a lot of work to be done building some depth, but I'm pleased with how it looks so far.

Edited by Xenith

Thanks all! I've never done anything this large before, and this is the first time I've really pushed myself in a while - it's good to play around. I hope to work more on it this weekend, works been busy this week.

That Dread...flames on a Heavy Weapon?  Checkers?  I see the signatures of a fellow old person Venerable.  Or perhaps someone simply knows their ancient texts :teehee:

Haha, yes, I started in 3rd ed, those Templars on the cover, and the BA on the second ed art pieces are constant inspiration.

Looks great! Where did you get the angel for the relief from?

The relief is a cheeky press mould from the ravenwing command squad banner - with the hooded head cut away and a face with flowing locks sculpted on.

"Wall of Terra" is a good name. Is the fresco meant to commemorate Sanguinius' triumph over Ka'Bandha?

The serpent was going to signify Horus, but it's figurative, really. It can be any daemon that the BA have to slay, internal or external. The skull head snake idea is also stolen from the Ravenwing command banner :sweat:

Hi all,

I've put some more work into the Vindicator and I think I'm finished with it for now - potentially barring a name scroll at some point.

I present the siege engine 'Wall of Terra'.

The vindicator 'Damocles' was among the materiels deployed by the Blood Angels in that most desperate of battles, the final siege of Terra by the traitor Horus and his armies. Held in reserve within the inner walls, the crew waited in trepidation as the armies of the damned approached, breaking through the outer defences, disabling void shields, and then beginning blood, brutal fighting in the corridors and walkways of the Palace, the Blood Angels making them pay dearly for all ground gained. The Imperial defences, broken and battered, finally gave way, and great rent appeared in the wall of the palatine gate, the last staging ground of the angels. Knowing their duty, and no fear, the crew of the damocles spurred their engine forwards, blocking the breach with their bulk, the mighty demolisher cannon speaking like the voice of angry gods, scything through traitor ranks. Being constantly resupplied with shells from few remaining servitors as the Blood Angels retreated to the next circle of defences, the Vindicator blocked the path of the traitors for a full thirty minutes before they managed to bring heavier ordnance to bear: A rapier laser destroyer in the heraldry of the accursed Iron Warriors lanced out, piercing the adamantium hull of the tank and damaging the main gun. The tank was over run and the crew slaughtered as the survivors fought their way out of the crippled tank, dying with the knowledge that their sacrifice meant their brothers could live a while longer.

After the siege the Vindicator was recovered and it's blessed hull consecrated. The tank was reborn as "Wall of Terra", the shield of life, and has been in service to the Imperium for the past 10,000 years in which it has reaped a great tally of the Emperor's foes. Sometimes damaged, never lost, the Wall of Terra now serves with the Blood Angels 4th Company under Captain di Bossola, en route to the Armageddon system...

gallery_58096_11967_279613.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_219536.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_259598.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_439303.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_397981.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_543246.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_591676.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_960571.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_1033758.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I had to push myself to do this. I'm pretty lazy, normally.

On that, I vowed in early 2016 to finish the 4th company by the end of that year, which I failed to do miserably. 

I'm going to try and make a real effort to get that done this year, mainly as I've been putting it off and I need to make a dent in my plastic mountain. I'm not vowing, but I'm going to make an effort to get at least 5 man squads made to be able to field 10 units in the company. 

This just leaves me with 15 tactical marines over 3 squads, with the option of an additional 26 marines to bulk out the squads, which is achievable. 

• 2 weeks later...

So flicking through these pages, I noticed I haven't shared photos of my assault squad anywhere - I think I finished them around the same time as my death co, but wanted to stagger the posts on them to make more clickbait titles. In the end, I totally forgot to post them, so here goes:

Assault Squad Marsellus:

Sergeant Marsellus (Now illegal)

gallery_58096_13569_195533.jpg

gallery_58096_13569_302155.jpg

Squad Leader

gallery_58096_13569_379351.jpg

gallery_58096_13569_456888.jpg

Melta gunner 1

gallery_58096_13569_119459.jpg

[/url]

Melta 2

gallery_58096_13569_374335.jpg

Chump

gallery_58096_13569_307470.jpg

gallery_58096_13569_300225.jpg

Luckily I have been compromising on my magnetising by giving each sergeant one 'signature' weapon, with the other arm being magnetised to not entirely gimp myself. One of Marsellus's arms can be swapped out, and I'll likely paint up a power weapon of some sort for him, or nick one from my van vet squad.

Edited by Xenith