• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the 1st Squad of the 10th Company are finished:

++INCOMING MESSAGE: ORIGINAL PHOTOS LOST IN WARP++

See the finished unit in this post.

10 scouts, veteran sergeant with power fist. he should probably also have a grav pistol or something, maybe. That would be cool.

Next up is 10 sniper scouts, including a missile launcher and heavy bolter.

Edited by Xenith

Oh how I miss those Scouts.

ETL this year?

Haha, Maybe. I'm torn between BA and Chaos. I need to decide rapidly as I'm working overseas so only go on occasional supply runs for models. 

Well done mate! Great freehand! :smile.:

Thanks! I got quite proficient at those skulls, all 10 in maybe 30 mins?

At the end of the day it's entirely up to you, but you do seem to have been bitten by the BA bug again following our Codex release. Less than two weeks to decide!

As it stands, the Chaos Faction seems to be on a lull right now (compared to last year anyway) whilst we're in ascendency for the first time in years. At the two week mark we were ahead of Chaos on participants and completions so perhaps going with the this year's ETL dark (red) horse could prove fruitful?

• 4 weeks later...

So, inspired at getting back into the BA, and with the options offered by Exterminatus, I set about enlarging my 1st company, with the aim of making an orbital intervention force, making a lightening claw squad, thunder hammer unit with company banner, and tactical term unit with flamer for roasting pathfinders.

Serge

Banner Bearer

Dude #1

Dude #2

Dude #3

These guys are a mix of Dark Vengeance, black reach, tactical, assault and Blood Angels assault terminators. Quite the kitbash.

Edited by Xenith

Great to see you got your muse back!  Too bad you missed ETL, though . . .

Anyway, don't let that discourage you.  Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Yea, I thought long and hard about ETL...but in the end I wasn't enthused enough to. Feeling compelled to paint takes away from it a little, and they definitely wouldn't be what I would call 'finished' by the deadline :)

I'll still be aiming to paint 1000pts or so before the end of September, job permitting. There's a chunky vanguard squad to come after this!

Yes, it's wise not to over-commit and make the process less fun by doing so.  I'm definitely feeling the pressure with the size of the Vow I took earlier this month!  :blink.:

So the tactical Terminators:

Sergeant. This guy has the deathwatch pad, and in game will (occasionally) be used as the Terminator squad from deathstorm, with preferred enemy: Tyranids.

Grumpy Jack. He hates war. Just do the killing and go home.

EDIT: Bling Photos updated!

Edited by Xenith

Thanks!

The flames are dead easy, you just need a steady hand. The hard part is making them seem...random. It's very easy t have each flame peak pointing the same way, which would look odd.

large wiggles of Mephiston red, join the bases of the wiggles with red. inside those, smaller wiggles of fire dragon bright, join up again, but lower, then finally the same with Yriel Yellow.

The bone is same as the angels, Dheneb stone, earthshade wash, rehighlight with Dheneb.

I remember painting flames on some older Salamanders models.  They did not look that good when I did them.  I think you underestimate your skills, sir!  :happy.:

Haha, incidentally, salamanders were the first models I tried to paint flames on!

The main thing with freehand is to not be afraid, and practicve makes perfect. A couple of years ago I couldnt do anything, but can now bash out skulls like that in a few minutes with no problems.

Edited by Xenith

I have just realised that this little thread has over 6,000 views, so thanks for the interest, guys!

I managed to get the terminators sprayed:

gallery_58096_7522_836153.jpg

And the first coat of red down on the tactical terminators.

gallery_58096_7522_62310.jpg

I am still really unsure whether to leave them at Mephiston red and highlight with Evil Sunz, or to go to Evil Sunz and highlight orange.

I cant remember what I did on the last lot. I should really start writing my recipe down...