So after some gentle guilt tripping at making 5 more vanguard instead of completing my company, I pulled my finger out and started on my 6th Tactical squad, Squad Saturno.

They're going to be a good old fashioned Las/Plas squad, as these seem to be relatively effective, in terms of either 2 plasmas running up field, or a las sitting back with an objective. These were a staple of pretty much every marine army in 3rd ed. Interesting how things come full circle eh?

gallery_58096_15988_27957.jpg

I also had to make the obligatory "Gets Hot!" marine. I have a few plasmas in the army, but no one with proper respect for his weapon yet. I also have relatively few 'funny' marines, beyond my deado co. with the brick and brother bullet catcher in my dev squad.

gallery_58096_15988_724255.jpg

I also sneakily put a combi plas on the squad leader and will give him a chainsword. Not quite WYSIWYG, but I want to be able to run these as 2x5 man units if I need to, which lets me have the extra combi plasma.

When this squad is complete, I just need 10 more tactical marines, 5 more assault marines and 5 devs to finish the company.

I also made an 'inspiration' album to collate all the random pics I come across that make me want to make models. This is the latest.

gallery_58096_15990_11359.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...

So now with BoB in my hands, I thought I'd see what point changes were made to my former 1750 list:

154 / Balthasar, Librarian Dreadnought - Veritas Vitae, heavy flamer

99 / Chaplain Diabocca - Jump pack, infernus pistol

143 / Smash Captain - TH/SS/JP, Death visions, ignore wounds on a 6 trait.

91 / Squad Solon: 5 tacticals - plasma, combi plasma, power fist

86 / Squad Jovor: 5 tacticals - grav cannon, storm bolter, power maul

119 / 10 scouts - bp+blades, serge with powerfist

207 / 10 Death co - Jump packs, 2 fists, axe, maul, 6 with Cs+bp

237 / 10 vanguard - 7 shields, 6 fists, relic blade, 2 swords.

102 / Brother Borgio, Dreadnought - assault cannon, storm bolter

121 / Kaspar the Destroyer, Death Company Dreadnought

171 / 'Thunder's Echo', Stormhawk Interceptor - typhoon missiles, assault cannons, icarus stormcannon.

114 / Razorback - TLAC

67 / Rhino - Storm Bolter

Total 1711.

So that's 39pts shaved off, which is reasonable for an army that was already doing ok, especially with the added extra stuff like doctrines and +1 to assault rolls. The basic dread dropping by like 20pts again (-10 from base, -10 from fist) is pretty insane and is a steal for 102pts. Only issues is he's slow. I think getting a Furioso with blood claws and a meltagun for 111pts is pretty bonkers. 8" move with 2d6+1 charge is awesome and will merk loads of dudes. 

My 99pt chaplain will likely get subbed out for Lemmy, his boons are now too great to ignore. 

Sanguard now seem interesting to try out. My unit of 5, with 4 plasma, 1 melta, 3 swords 2 axes now comes to 171. I'll trade the rhino and razor out for those. Borgio has found himself out of range occasionally due to 6" move and 24" asscans. TL Las sorts that issue and increases my LRAT capacility. He's still a low threat compared to the libby and DCD, so he's unlikely to be shot at, and if they do, more fool them. 

1750 Point Battleforged Batallion+Vanguard = 9CP.

Batallion

100 / Chaplain Lemartes - Jump pack

143 / Smash Captain - TH/SS/JP, [Death visions, ignore wounds on a 6 trait.]

119 / 10 scouts - bp+blades, serge with powerfist

225 / 11 Death co - Jump packs, 2 fists+cs, 1xbp+axe, 1xbp+maul, 6 with Cs+bp

247 / 10 vanguard - 7 shields, 6 fists, relic blade, 2 swords, 1x2claws.

171 / 'Thunder's Echo', Stormhawk Interceptor - typhoon missiles, assault cannons, icarus stormcannon.

Vanguard

154 / Balthasar, Librarian Dreadnought - heavy flamer [Veritas Vitae]

122 / Brother Borgio, Dreadnought - twin lascannon, storm bolter

121 / Kaspar the Destroyer, Death Company Dreadnought, SB, Melta

171 / 5 Sanguinary Guard, 4 plasma pistols, 1 inferno, 3 swords, 2 axes. 

Total 1750 on the nose. 

Not massively different to my other army, and plenty of optimising to be done, but I really want to try some new additions out. 

EDIT: I've made a separate army list thread:

XBA: The Lists.

Edited by Xenith

I am totally stealing your "Gets Hot!" Marine. Thank you.

Thanks! Steal away, I stole it in turn from my buddy Skink, who stole it from someone else. So the easy bake marine lives on.

Here's some more recent photos. I'd advise cutting the hand off with a sharp knife and rotating it slightly for better face coverage.

gallery_58096_15988_137044.jpg

I think when he gets painted he's going to be head to toe in warding litanies. I think he needs more purity seals as is.

gallery_58096_15988_67078.jpg

Edited by Xenith

So I got a game in last night against an experienced Eldar player, hadn't used the army in a while, but a serious tournament player.

His army was

Brigade? Maybe double battalion actually?

Craftworld traits were expert craftsmen (reroll to hit and wound per unit) +4" range to all shuriken weapons.

Farseer, doom, executioner

Warlock

Autarch, bike, Lance, ignore wounds on 6, magic hat of -1 to hit.

6x5 avengers, all with bladestorm power

Dragons (in falcon)

5 wraithguard, wraithcannons

Bonsesinger

Spiders

5 jetbikes, 5 cannons

5 shining spears, star lance

Prism

Falcon, lance

Reapers.

My list was the above. We played a new mission from Chapter Approved where you can burn objectives in your opponents DZ. 6 objectives, spread out, quarters deployment. He won the roll for first turn.

Needless to say I got hammered on objectives, I called it at the end of turn 3, with 6 - 3 on objectives and I only had my vanguard left.

I'll add a fuller write up later.

So, coming back to the promise write up. We tried a new mission from CA:19, burny burny something. 6 objectives, 2 in the middle, 2 in each deployment zone, worth 1pt if you hold it at the start of your turn. If you hold one in an opposing DZ, you can burn it for 3cp.

Here's the battlefield, after charge moves in my T2.

gallery_58096_15972_681253.jpg

And end of my T3 where I was essentially wiped.

gallery_58096_15972_566945.jpg

Batallion

119 / 10 scouts - bp+blades, serge with powerfist

Vanguard

154 / Balthasar, Librarian Dreadnought - heavy flamer [Veritas Vitae]

Flew forwards, murdered some avengers, got fire dragoned.

122 / Brother Borgio, Dreadnought - twin lascannon, storm bolter

Took 8 wounds off the fire prism then got nuked in turn 2.

121 / Kaspar the Destroyer, Death Company Dreadnought, SB, Melta

Nuked by the prism turn 1.

171 / 5 Sanguinary Guard, 4 plasma pistols, 1 inferno, 3 swords, 2 axes.

Shot up a bit in turn 2, jumped forward and killed a unit of avengers, got shot, lone survivir charged and finished th dark reapers.

Batallion

Auras were super useful. I got the +2" charge one with smash capt, the remainign death co, librarian dread in range, and all were successful. Then jumped forwards and beat the farseer to death before gettig shot at by everything. Absolutely worth the points.

Charged the Killed the shining spears T1, killed the dragond t2, got killed by the autarch before he could strike T3.

Double tapped the jetbikes before charging to finish them off. Scored a point or two. Workhorse unit.

Shot off the board T1.

119 / 10 scouts - bp+blades, serge with powerfist

Hid and were out of position to get a charge. Got charged and wiped by the autarch for their efforts.

Shot off the board T1, mostly. Coupleof survivors finished off the shining spears with the captain.

Dropped down in T2 after most of my army was wiped. Went to take out the fire prism and rolled a huge 12" charge, enough to engage the bonesinger also, consolidated to take out the warlock, and fisted the autarch to death turn 3.

Missiles missed, stormcannon knocked a couple of wounds off the prism T1. T1 the assault cannons thinned out the dark reapers. Mobility is awesome and can threaten everything.

Learning points:

• His Avengers can all advance and shoot, covering about 10" per turn, so he had the objective game in the bag. Even basic Eldar foot troops can motor now and fire effectively.
  • I put the DC too far forward again. Whhile they were out of sight, the 16" spears shot forwards and mauled them. I need to really think on their positioning, or hold them further back to make my opponents first move less obvious. If I steal I can always FF them forwards. I didnt use the strat to increase the 6+++ to 5+++, and I should have. It would have saved 3/4 more lives.
  • I definitely preferred Borgio with the lascannons this time. He could really reach out and touch stuff. I'll be trying that again.
  • The sanguard did good, despite not having opportune targets. The 5x plasma pistols didnt really come into play, as I had quite long charges to make against small units. Next unit will be all bolters (and fists?)
  • Vanguard did their thing again, and well. I see why Mort loves them. I need another unit.
  • Scoring: 2x5 tacticals and 1x10 scouts ist much. They did ok in my last 4 games, but in this I was really outmatched in the objective play. I couldnt infiltrate onto any that were out of LOS of my opponent. This was partially my fault as I placed half of them. I could do with 5 snipers with cloaks. Unsure what I can remove to add this, or if I should swap the grav cannon tac squad for 5 intercessors.
  • Maybe keeping the DC in reserve also will solve my problem. Then they can drop in with the Vanvets in T2, and I can UWoF Lemartes over to them if his litany of 2" goes off. Maybe a Sanguinary Ancient with banner would do this better?
Edited by Xenith

Looking back at this game, I feel the terrain was a major factor in my loss. The big wide open space in the middle with little LOS blocking stuff is ok for Sigmar but not 40k. We also didn't rearrange the terrain after the tables use as a demo board. Going forward I'll be randomising the terrain a bit more before deploying, and also trying to get on the 40k board.

No opponent worth their salt should disagree with a little terrain randomisation, and if they do I'll offer choice of deployment zones.

Yeah, that terrain was severely lacking for a 40k game. Even if it’s all ruins, it’s not enough still.

Glad you got successful with the VAS and Dreadnoughts as well, I’ve been neglecting the latter a bit because of points and their relative slowness. Will you be taking a DC dread again? If not, he could add you a Sang Ancient and some points to spare.

I agree with your assessment on DC. If deployed on the board, a lucky steal will see your opponent focus-fire them into oblivion turn 1, so you’ll need to deploy something like a Vanguard or Sanguinary Guard as well to spread out targets.

• 1 month later...

Welcome back!

I 'm not painting anything other than Primaris (not even half painted projects like a Stormraven) until I get a working fully painted 2K all-primaris force.

The new age of Baal is here!

Hey Xenith :)
I'm following the 12 Month Hobby challenge and it helps me paint my half-painted projects, like lone scout. Nice warm-up before ETL. Also a slow work on Primaris is taking place - 2x3 Suppressors, Infiltrators and soon probably Incursors.

Welcome back!

I 'm not painting anything other than Primaris (not even half painted projects like a Stormraven) until I get a working fully painted 2K all-primaris force.

The new age of Baal is here!

Hey Xenith :smile.:

I'm following the 12 Month Hobby challenge and it helps me paint my half-painted projects, like lone scout. Nice warm-up before ETL. Also a slow work on Primaris is taking place - 2x3 Suppressors, Infiltrators and soon probably Incursors.

Thanks both! I love my firstborn, but it seems on the table, the Primaris are by far the more effective. GW did a good job of stealth-redundancy on normal marines. Between Dark Imperium, Shadowspear, Wake the Dead, and me buying Primaris stuff, I have ablout half a company already

Captain

Phobos Captain

3x Lt's

1x Phobos Lt

20x Intercessors

10x Infiltrators

10x Incursors (or infiltrators)

5x Reivers

9x Inceptors

3x Eliminators

3x Suppressors

3x Aggressors

1x Invictor Warsuit

All for the pile of shame. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been mulling over the Flesh Tearers for a little while and finally decided to pull the trigger. I'll still be using BA rules, but I fancy painting a little darker, dingier colour scheme...even though I find it at odds with Primaris.

I seen these Flesh Tearer pad icons on Shapeways a little while ago, and now I finally odered them. They should stick easily onto primaris pads, and save me a lot of time.

gallery_58096_15020_170132.jpg

I also picked up Flesh Tearers Red contrast paint to do a test model. I'm generally not a fan of contrast on flat armour surfaces, but one test model can't hurt. Maybe it'll do as a recess shade that will blend into the khorne red of the base paint. Who knows.

This still leaves me in a quandry as to how to paint my HH BA - I was going to do a flesh tearer scouring era force, then a flesh eater force, despite them being second or later founding. Could always fudge their history a little, but the bright red with white stripe looks cool.

After placing the order on Friday, my Shapeways Flesh Tearer pads arrived today:

gallery_58096_15020_604738.jpg

That's a big box for such a small item. Needless to say it was well packed. I do believe I forgot to order icons for my invictor suit, so I might have to try and bend some of these to shape, or order vehicle icons...

After placing the order on Friday, my Shapeways Flesh Tearer pads arrived today:

That's a big box for such a small item. Needless to say it was well packed. I do believe I forgot to order icons for my invictor suit, so I might have to try and bend some of these to shape, or order vehicle icons...

Nice!

I have mixed feelings about how the curved icons fit over naked shoulder pads. Sometimes they seem a bit too bulky and out of place. The pro to it those is you get more per pound versus the shoulders. Though fancy shoulders are like my kryptonite.

I've been in touch with a chap about some fancy transfers. If I ever get them I'll send you a DM with recommendations or not.

Nice!

I have mixed feelings about how the curved icons fit over naked shoulder pads. Sometimes they seem a bit too bulky and out of place. The pro to it those is you get more per pound versus the shoulders. Though fancy shoulders are like my kryptonite.

I've been in touch with a chap about some fancy transfers. If I ever get them I'll send you a DM with recommendations or not.

I've fitted one pad and can say that these are really fine detailed, they don't feel too large or out of place like the old chapterhouse ones. I'll get a photo up when I can. My main issue is that pads are curved left to right but also up and down, and the shapeways icons are only curved left to right, making the fit imperfect. I'm playing with hot water to see if I can flex them into position.

Haha, I'd be honoured bud - I'll probably get stomped but it'll be a good looking game! I live pretty close (in US terms...) to Warhammer World, so if you make a stop there let me know.

I managed to get a game in on Thursday at my GW: 1500pts; Scorched Earth from CA:19

Blood Angels. 9 CP. (-2 for 2nd relic and death visions)

Battalion

Captain de Bossola - Jump pack, relic blade, grav pistol, Angels Wing. Warlord: Gift of Foresight; Death Visions

Lemartes, all rerolls one, +3" charge one, mantra of strength

5 Scouts - bp+ccw, serge with powerfist

5 scouts - bp+ccw serge has power sword

5 scouts - shotguns

5 scouts - shotguns

Stormhawk Thunder's Echo - Icarus; Typhoon; assault cannons

Vanguard Detachment

Librarian Dread Balthasar - Heavy flamer, wings, shield, Veritas Vitae

11 Death co - 2x with fist and chainsword; 1x axe and bp; 1x maul and bp; 7x bp+cs

10 VanVets - 3x fist and shield; 2x sword and shield; 2x chainsword and shield; 3x bp+cs

5 Sanguinary Guard - 3x sword+angelus; 2x axe+angelus

Death Company Dread Kaspar the Damned - Talons; storm bolter; meltagun.

My opponent was Dark Angels and had:

1x Sammael on Corvex

10x RW knights, 1/2x grenade launchers

1x RW apothecary

5x scouts - bolters

5x scouts - 4x bolters, 1x sniper

6x Intercessors, bolt rifles

Lieutenant: Jump pack; power fist; warlord; trait for 1x reroll of hit, wound, etc roll, CP back on a 5+.

Dark Talon

Drop Pod

4x company vets - 3x plasma guns, serge storm shield (in drop pod)

4x company vets - 3x melta guns, serge plasma pistol (in drop pod)

1x lieutenant - combi plas (in drop pod)

1x ancient - standard of something - dead model can shoot again on 4+  (in drop pod)

I'd managed to make the terrain a bit more BA friendly with no obvious fire lanes, some LOS blocking stuff in the middle, my opponent Dan is a fun guy and forgiving when it comes to my 8th ed noobishness - I played him before.

The game was a bloodbath, with most of my guys dying t1. I'd learned to feath the alpha strike after playing him last, but he managed to seize t1 from me and I got murdered again. 

After T1 all I had remaining was:

Lemartes

Librarian Dread Balthasar - Heavy flamer, wings, shield, Veritas Vitae

5 scouts - bp+ccw serge has power sword

5 scouts - shotguns

2 Death co - 2x with fist and chainsword

2 VanVets - 2x fist and shield;

5 Sanguinary Guard - 3x sword+angelus; 2x axe+angelus

My opponent had:

1x Sammael on Corvex

4x RW knights, 1/2x grenade launchers

1x RW apothecary

5x scouts - bolters

5x scouts - 4x bolters, 1x sniper

6x Intercessors, bolt rifles

Stormhawk Thunder's Echo - Icarus; Typhoon; assault cannons

Drop Pod

4x company vets - 3x plasma guns, serge storm shield (in drop pod)

4x company vets - 3x melta guns, serge plasma pistol (in drop pod)

1x lieutenant - combi plas (in drop pod)

1x ancient - standard of something - dead model can shoot again on 4+  (in drop pod)

Half my army including 2/3 of my heavy hitters were wiped out T1, with most of my opponents stuff left. The stuff that remained, however, did pretty damn good. The Lib dread accounted for the dark talon, sammael, the ancient and second lieutenant, as well as holding and burning objectives. The sanguard came in, murdered some scouts (thanks to explosive judgement), then minced the intercessors. 

I can see why SG are so popular right now. 2W and 2+Sv make them reasonably durable, Dd3 is good, and the point frop is the icing on the cake. 

My scouts were the real MVP's though killing a few RW bikers, ganging up on the apothecary and scoring some objectives. The Stormhawk was also really good, wiping the warlord lieutenant and both veteran squads before scoring linebreaker. Might have to paint up my Stormtalon. 

Edited by Xenith

Another one bites the dust. I finally got these scouts painted after a few years undercoated. I need to realise that things really dont take too long. I did the remainin three members over 2 episodes of Dr Who or something like it.

Group shot

gallery_58096_13057_175809.jpg

Cloak details

gallery_58096_13057_1343023.jpg

And this guy again:

gallery_58096_13057_154806.jpg

These scouts were some of my first models, when I was looking for cheap ( Edited by Xenith

So my shapeways FT icons arrived and I'm trying to get them to fit onto my marines, however there are some large gaps at the top where they dont fit the upper curve. I'm thinking I'll have to heat and bend them.

Apologies in advance for the close up blurry pics.

The icons do look great, however I cannot find a good place to site them without part not being in contact with the model.

gallery_58096_15020_397026.jpg

Out of contact

gallery_58096_15020_235129.jpg

gallery_58096_15020_249758.jpg

gallery_58096_15020_235357.jpg

I contact wt the icon top, and the bottom is out of contact.

gallery_58096_15020_368892.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Brass etch was the same on shoulders. There is a company that does shoulder-specific icons but I forget which.

I got out the hot water and they respond well. It's just a pain having to part-glue them down then bend. Might get out the tweezers and try to shape them en-masse. 

I like all the bits that shapeways propose : weapons, icons, Imperail knght parts etc ... 

But I have a problem with there shoulder pad's icons. I find the icons to thick. 

I can't wait to see what your Infiltrator looks like with the paint.