That deathwing terminator is amazing

Thanks! It's really all down to the Wraithbone spray - I'd have happily left him like that and just did a recess shade, however I wanted to play around with some colour gradients so gave him an overall wash with the Skeleton Horde. This scheme would be really easy to do, especially if you had a pot of wraithbone to clean up mistakes.

So good you've chosen Flesh Eaters!

There's another image of them I've found in the Warhammer 40k compendium:

gallery_105306_14251_1329.jpg

That's ace, thanks! I think from the winged helix symbol on the standard, we can assume that's an apothecary. I'm laughing at the idea of the Primaris Apothecary model as a Flesh Eater. It gives a whole new connotation to the pose of the model looking at that gene seed...

Not sure if the memory thing kicks in for geneseed as well since it's purpose is to get implanted into another human and we don't know of any Marine having access to memories or skills etc. from the previous owner of the geneseed (or any for that matter since it would go back several generations of Marines then).

Not sure if the memory thing kicks in for geneseed as well since it's purpose is to get implanted into another human and we don't know of any Marine having access to memories or skills etc. from the previous owner of the geneseed (or any for that matter since it would go back several generations of Marines then).

From implantation, no, as the gene see then bypasses the Omophagea which is the organ that extracts the memories - as long as it's consumed by a living astartes, it should go into that organ and give some memories, but you're right, we don't really see the end result of easting a space marine at all - well, there's one scene in Battle for the Fang.

There is some underlying hints that geneseeds do somehow retain psychic memories of previous owners/donors. But it's only eluded to, not outright stated.

I do remember that I think, but it's old, old fluff. 

Not too sure about it, but isn’t the Omophagea supposed to work if a marine ate the flesh of the deceased as well? Literally only marines have a gene seed, but the organ works on all organic matter: humans, Orks, Eldar, all of them.

So nobody would have to destroy the future of his own chapter by cracking open a cold one and receiving his memories. :)

Lovely red on that Flesh Eater, Xenith!

So nobody would have to destroy the future of his own chapter by cracking open a cold one and receiving his memories. :smile.:

:laugh.: Heh, naturally, the gene seed comment was more me talking about painting the Primaris Apoc as a Flesh Eater - he's looking at that gene seed kind of funny. Needs BBQ sauce. 

99120101178_PrimarisApothecary01.jpg

Lovely red on that Flesh Eater, Xenith!

Thanks! I'll be painting the rest of the reivers as FE's then maybe some more if I can deal with the freehand.

Edited by Xenith

One thing to note is that technically the geneseed is actually two organs. The first one is implanted during the process of making a marine. The second one is grown by the marine itself and can be harvested after some period of time (fluff is all over the place on how long that is).

It was remarked in HH book 8 that the blood angel's geneseed was specifically tailored for rapid growth so that they can recoup their numbers in record time. With an over-active omophagea and rapid growth, a relatively small unit of blood angels to can survive on its own and actually increase in numbers. The training would be inherited from who they battle as well as combat losses and geneseeds can be harvested quickly. It's an interesting bit of fluff as it questions a lot about what BA's were actually supposed to be designed for by the emperor. Literally seems like they were designed to be scary monsters in that they can't be stopped, lusted for utter destruction of their enemies and would eat/drink the blood of their enemies to gain strength etc.

Edited by Spagunk

One thing to note is that technically the geneseed is actually two organs. The first one is implanted during the process of making a marine. The second one is grown by the marine itself and can be harvested after some period of time (fluff is all over the place on how long that is).

It was remarked in HH book 8 that the blood angel's geneseed was specifically tailored for rapid growth so that they can recoup their numbers in record time. With an over-active omophagea and rapid growth, a relatively small unit of blood angels to can survive on its own and actually increase in numbers. The training would be inherited from who they battle as well as combat losses and geneseeds can be harvested quickly. It's an interesting bit of fluff as it questions a lot about what BA's were actually supposed to be designed for by the emperor. Literally seems like they were designed to be scary monsters in that they can't be stopped, lusted for utter destruction of their enemies and would eat/drink the blood of their enemies to gain strength etc.

Yeah but at the same time the presence of Sanguinius surpressed the Red Thirst to some degree. Even just the single feather with a drop of blood in stasis was enough to surpress the Flesh Tearer's thirst for long enough to retreat from the moon during the Devastation of Baal.

It's really somewhat confusing what the intention behind the creation of the Blood Angels was.

Yeah but at the same time the presence of Sanguinius surpressed the Red Thirst to some degree. Even just the single feather with a drop of blood in stasis was enough to surpress the Flesh Tearer's thirst for long enough to retreat from the moon during the Devastation of Baal.

It's really somewhat confusing what the intention behind the creation of the Blood Angels was.

I'm guessing he's the "AZ5" button for them. Pre-sangy i think they were just "culled" by throwing them to the wind with no support. Sanguinius being a pressure valve may also have been intended at some level. One thing they didn't touch on in book 8 (probably due to Alan passing away) is that it appears at some point BA knew how to harness their rage with relics and objects. Death masks, chalices and the like were absolutely there in the fluff but unlike 40k, nothing was mentioned on how they seemed to exert some influence.

My opinion is that Sanguinius absolutely constructed proxies for when he wasn't around to help his first sphere control rowdy marines. I would imagine it had something similar to the crystals used for force weapons where in he imbued aspects of himself into objects and granted them to his command to help manage things. Again, not in the HH book but I am assuming this was the case given what we know.

Great discussion guys, the BA are the Legion, and I love the delve into their history and symbolism. I think you're absolutely right in relic objects being focal points for the thirst - I mean, they use art etc to stave off the effects and keep their minds focussed elsewhere, and we see that Sanguinary priests have an effect on nearby marines, letting them harness the thirst in a more controlled manner, as the priests try to suggest. Whether the effect of enhanced bloodthirst is from the actual grails they carry, or because the priests literally have the blood of Sanguinius within them is unknown, the latter making the grail merely symbolic, more like a placebo.

tenor.gif

Also, today I let nostalgia get the better of me and made a series of bids on a certain auction website. I absolutely love Librarians, I love the psychic-ness of them, and I think they have some of the best models ever made for Space Marines. When I saw some 2nd ed ones for a decent price, I scooped them up, along with the 3rd ed terminator captain for nostalgian reasons. He also came with a multimelta so I can finally make a 4 man multimelta Devastator squad, and one of the best assault marine sergeant models ever. As amazing and intricate as the new sculpts are, for me they just lack the character that these old ones do.

I think these guys are going to look amazing with a modern paint job and on 32mm bases. They'll have real presence, and round out my Librarius. It's tempting to make them as 30k models, they'd fit right in.

gallery_58096_11797_22854.jpg

gallery_58096_11797_55165.jpggallery_58096_11797_73963.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Snap :smile.:

nNZADjT.png

Are you using the metal sergeant as an assault marine or some kind of veteran? I haven’t decided with mine yet - considering a VV sergeant, old veteran fallen to the DC or possibly even a Captain as I don’t have a JP Captain with power fist.

Good question, I've not decided between having him as a 40k assault sergeant in the second company or a assault squad sergeant in a 30k siege of terra force. I've actually got 2 of them, so I can have both, but I wouldn't want two identical assault marine sergeants. One might go onto an old skool vanguard vet squad. 

The model would also be great as a VV or captain if you can get a right handed storm shield, or other weapon for that hand. 

I was a little concerned that the Flesh Eaters would be too bright to do effective battle damage on (silly, I know, it looks great on fists) so I had a quick go at typical scratches and the chapter icon. The white is a little thick up close, but I think it's effective and looks great from a distance.

gallery_58096_16283_920036.jpg

gallery_58096_16283_452826.jpg

Now I've started working on the rest of the reiver squad. Thinking I might have the Flesh Tearers as scouring era, and the Eaters as Age Indomitus.

Small update, I've been working on the Flesh Eater Reiver squad and am pretty much done to tabletop standard. I'm in love with the scheme, however it's a huge departure for me, working with a bright undercoat. In around 1999 i tried chaos black undercoat and never went back, as missed spots in recesses just look like shadow, while they really stand out with bright undercoat.

I also got my hands on a box of aggressors and got my bits box out to try and make up models for the remaining units to complete the company.

All the while, looking at my Thousand Sons...

Some pics of the WIP Reiver Squad. There's a lot of red on these, and I'll have to find some way to break it up a bit. Likely white err 'devotional' texts.

gallery_58096_16283_1109282.jpg

gallery_58096_16283_1690005.jpg

The sergeant has to be the grittiest member of the unit for the Flesh Eaters, not the Prettiest like for the Blood Angels. The bionic arm is from the Iron Hands upgrade set, pointing hand cut off and replaced with the normal reiver blade. The point hand has been daved for someone else. There's also a bit of fluff on his face that I didnt notice when taking the photos, that's gone now.

gallery_58096_16283_465347.jpg

The beginnings of Librarian Esteban Valdez, 'The Mind Eater', a Phobos Libby who will be a Flesh Eater. Phobos Lt gets a head swap to look more like a descendant of Sanguinius, and his head will go to another Incursor sergeant most likely.

gallery_58096_16283_227065.jpg

As you can see, none of the bases have been paid any attention, they'll all be going on Sector Imperialis bases to match my Tyranid army - I tend to make my armies in pairs like this so they look good fighting one another. My BA 4th company is set during the Second War for Armageddon, and this Primaris force is a 'Cleansing of Baal' Indomitus crusade type thing of successor chapters, so they'll look like they're sweeping through the cities repelling nids as they go.

gallery_58096_16283_1908515.jpg

Also, this just arrived in teh post:

gallery_58096_7835_1459700.jpg

I managed to get my hands on a Fractal Blades Kill Team for Edited by Xenith

If you want to break up the red a little bit you could also change the colour of a few details. Like the grav-chute wings could be metal coloured, the belt could be black or brown leather etc.

Other than that ... well they are Blood Angels (successors). Being 90% red is the fate we chose unless we went with a more exotic colour scheme like Knights of Blood or Angels Sanguine or such. :D