AKIRA!

Looking awesome dude, the bright red is so cool - especially with the white details. Sweet weathering too.

Sergeant Kaneda it is! Might have to do some campaign badges on the bike also.

Good job on the Outriders.

Thanks Bjorn!

You're doing great, Brother. Never give up, and always be proud of how much you've done and how far you've come. I've enjoyed following for years.

Thanks FM - That actually means a lot to me.

Onto the next unit in clearing the backlog and making my army competitive: 4 Sanguinary Guard and Ancient. These were a bits-box special, and as you can see I'm running low on deathmasks, using them basically everywhere. I do have another box of SG in the cupboard of shame, but those masks are earmarked for Heresy era Destroyers. Non-death mask SG used to be an option, and the box comes with so many spare heads it's unreal, so I decided to make use of some of those.

gallery_58096_16852_385022.jpg

gallery_58096_16852_130467.jpg

Sometimes, something just...works. I was short on SG torsos, so I picked a suitably ornate one from the bitz box, forgetting there were no abs. Also being short on unique right handed powerfists, I opted for a left hander, and a plasma pistol is a plasma pistol. When looking for suitable shoulder pads, a Flesh Tearers one popped out of the box onto my hand, and it just seemed perfect for this stripped-down Sanguinary Guardian. Let's say he's an exchange student, or a guard of Honour left after the Devastation of Baal.

gallery_58096_16852_32545.jpg

Ancient is magnetised to swap between sword and powerfist. It's a decade since the Sanguard box was released, and I'm ashamed to say, despite having bought 3-4 boxes of them I've never made an ancient. Time to fix that. I'm unsure whether the Ancient should go on the standard 32mm or would look better on a 40mm base. There's very little room for decoration on the 32mm, the 40mm would allow for some detail.

gallery_58096_16852_6630.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Good work on the Outriders! Weathering came out nicely.
The bases are nice too. I would apply some minimal gore effects/splatter to that severed genestealer arm to make it more natural on the base.

Very nice posing and good use of bits as always on those SG :)
That helmet on the second guy from the left brings back memories - I can't even count how many times I actually got my fingers stung on that main spike :D Ouch!

These are good times for the SG. All their weapon options are solid which encourages magnetisation (I think it's the correct word?). Being the one that is also still assembling the SG host, I try to magnetise each guy that can be given a Fist so that he has a Fist/Sword-or-Axe and boltgun/something-else option. I'm using the method of gluing shoulderpads to the shoulders as otherwise I'd run out of the winged shoulderpads pretty quickly. It requires some planning and strengthening of the connection point with a cement-type glue, but for me it's worth it.

And yeah, right Power Fists are not common. Once you start using them on both SG and VV (Cause SS are almost exclusively left-handed) they run out quickly. I remember I actually did a pretty decent mould of the DC Fist at one point in time because of that. 

As for the Ancient, you can always build his base up instead. Something like the heap of enemies current Gotrek Gurnisson's model is positioned on. Or more in the BA theme, like the Ancient on that lovely picture:

Blood-Angels-Command-Company.jpg
*Happy to throw it back at you :P

Good work on the Outriders! Weathering came out nicely.

The bases are nice too. I would apply some minimal gore effects/splatter to that severed genestealer arm to make it more natural on the base.

Very nice posing and good use of bits as always on those SG :smile.:

That helmet on the second guy from the left brings back memories - I can't even count how many times I actually got my fingers stung on that main spike :biggrin.: Ouch!

These are good times for the SG. All their weapon options are solid which encourages magnetisation (I think it's the correct word?). Being the one that is also still assembling the SG host, I try to magnetise each guy that can be given a Fist so that he has a Fist/Sword-or-Axe and boltgun/something-else option. I'm using the method of gluing shoulderpads to the shoulders as otherwise I'd run out of the winged shoulderpads pretty quickly. It requires some planning and strengthening of the connection point with a cement-type glue, but for me it's worth it.

And yeah, right Power Fists are not common. Once you start using them on both SG and VV (Cause SS are almost exclusively left-handed) they run out quickly. I remember I actually did a pretty decent mould of the DC Fist at one point in time because of that. 

As for the Ancient, you can always build his base up instead. Something like the heap of enemies current Gotrek Gurnisson's model is positioned on. Or more in the BA theme, like the Ancient on that lovely picture:

Blood-Angels-Command-Company.jpg

*Happy to throw it back at you :tongue.:

Indeedy, my sergeants were all getting custom heraldry and such, so I glue the pad to the torso and the magged arm slots in underneath. Often fiddly to get right, but the left, centre and ancient all have magged options. I left 2 with fixed fists as they'll always be useful .One with a plasma pistol to go with my other full plasma unit. 5 plasmas killing a primaris or aggressor on the way into combat is a decent return. 

Yes, the stealer arm is going to get the nurgles rot treatment, and I need to add some blood flecks etc to the unit. 

How did the mould of the Death co powerfist come out?

How did the mould of the Death co powerfist come out?

Passable.

med_gallery_105306_14251_219346.jpg

One is almost fresh from the mould, the other has been cleaned. Again I chose Milliput for easier post-production corrections. GS would give a smoother finish, but any corrections during cleaning would be harder to hide.

One or two in a squad will not strike as too different.

gallery_105306_14251_406666.jpg

I managed to get some time at the weekend to assemble some more Indomitus stuff, as well as Primaris Mephison that I was gifted for Christmas 2019...

gallery_58096_16283_194092.jpg

I have to say, Mephiston was a challenge. The parts fit ok, but the sculpt is pretty weirdly proportioned. I'd has really liked to use the blood wiping hand on the model as an homage to Mark Gibbons's artwork, but the hand is so small, it just looks odd, and it's covering too much of Meph's face for me. Here's how small the wipey hand is in relation to the others. It's tiny. More normal scale than the heroic scale other hands. But it seems an oversight.

Meph's three hands. The plasma and sword hands are the same proportion, while the wipe hand is half the size.

gallery_58096_11797_92334.jpg

Once I got it in my head that tiny hand Meph would look like this guy:

gallery_58096_11797_21255.jpg

I couldn't un-think it, so went with the plasma pistol. Maybe I'll get another some day and have it as a display piece with the wipey hand.

I'm not a fan of the veiled helm on the Judiciar, so he got a head swap. I'm thinking this one for now. Otherwise I might make the bladeguard ancient into the judiciar and convert this ace model into something else.

gallery_58096_16283_1536.jpg

This is a conversion I've had brewing in my head for ages: A Deathwatch Bladeguard Ancient. No idea what chapter he's from yet, maybe Angels Sanguine. Maybe the halved scheme with a silver arm and gold helm will make him too busy.

gallery_58096_16283_201882.jpg

gallery_58096_16283_54321.jpg

gallery_58096_16283_17037.jpg

Shield arm was sawed off and replaced with the DWatch shield and arm, Xenophase blade cut from the hand and pinned to the bladeguard hand.

All my Bladeguard are from different Chapter so far, including one Blood Angels. I feel that they're the paragons of the crusade, with each chapter sending one brother forwards to be part of the combined unit. They also work nicely as sword and board primaris LT's in case I evern want to field smaller armies of single chapter Primaris.

The eradicators are not glued for now. I want to convert one to have a Multimelta, and maybe add some guitar wire to the others to make them into Heavy Melta Rifles, which I think are superior. -1 to hit when moving, but more base damage. Absolutely brutal if you can get an opposing tank/monster within 24" without needing to move. A unit of 3 has a max damage output of 56 (4 shots at DD6+2; 4 shots at DD6) It's quite mad, and that's at long range.

Edited by Xenith

I'm not a fan of the veiled helm on the Judiciar, so he got a head swap. I'm thinking this one for now. Otherwise I might make the bladeguard ancient into the judiciar and convert this ace model into something else.

gallery_58096_16283_1536.jpg

I love the headswap on the Judiciar. Like you, I am not a fan of the veiled look. I had been thinking of a SG Deathmask for mine but the hooded head looks cool. It really emphasizes how much the model is based on Severian from Urth of the New Sun books (right down to the squared-off executioner's sword).

51dyRHWOGQL.jpg

Nice catch with the Mephy's hand :mellow.: I admit I haven't noticed it myself perhaps because I also chose to use a different hand altogether.
The DW Bladeguard looks ace though. I like the length of the sword and the helmet has a perfect 'knightly' feel.
Judiciar w the hood gives great vibes too.

As for the MM Eradicator - I built one and can heartily recommend the approach I used here as it's the easiest one I think. I am building another one right now, but with a different idea in mind - that he holds the MM from the bottom, like the Devastators do. This approach however will force you to make the MM itself longer (quite a bit) in order to align the hands properly.
Here is how both approaches will compare in terms of looks:

med_gallery_105306_14251_1207945.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_780240.jpg

In both cases, you can use the origina MM cable and attach it to the Eradicator's backpack. Also, both are using the same ETB Eradicator body as base.

EDIT: what type of guitar string would you have in mind? Edited by Majkhel

med_gallery_105306_14251_1207945.jpg

That's nice work - did you just slice the handle off the melta rifle? and swap in the MM? The left hand seems to line up with where the hand moulded to the MM was right? The goal would to have been have them holding them as the devestators do, but I couldn't be bothered lengthening weapons :sweat:

I'm thinking bass strings, as long as I can get them curling round to the backpack without breaking.

Edited by Xenith

That's nice work - did you just slice the handle off the melta rifle? and swap in the MM? The left hand seems to line up with where the hand moulded to the MM was right? The goal would to have been have them holding them as the devestators do, but I couldn't be bothered lengthening weapons :sweat:

Yes, that's what I did:

- From the Eradicator, I cut-off the hand with the rifle, leaving the vambrace intact

- From the Devastator MM (arm and MM), I cut-off the arm and shoulder pad leaving just the hand, which then slotted int the Eradicator's arm

The Eradicator's left hand seems to align, but look closely - it's because I rotated the wrist that you're getting that impresion. It actually ends up quite significantly forward from the original Devastator holding hand.

As you can see, with this second approach, the left arm is already positioned pretty low. And I still had to add extra 5mm length to the MM.

med_gallery_105306_14251_1555392.jpg

I thought that perhaps if I were to bend the left arm at the elbow, I might align it better. But then the MM would have to somehow be even closer to the chest, so it would force me to adjust the right arm as well...

Edited by Majkhel

Iiinteresting, I'll have to try this!

I'm thinking of sticking the melta canister from the underside of the gun onto the backpack in place of the vents, like the official models, then guitar-wiring from the now empty gun-derside to the backpack also, to complete the look.  

I'm pretty pleased to say my Flesh Eaters Outriders got featured on WHTV!

gallery_58096_16283_813082.jpg

You can see the video here, and my guys are on at 4:40.

I can honestly say, having the GW guys show off my models is a life goal achieved...but no rest for the wicked, I have a taste for it now and have to paint better for senpai.

Wow, congratulations! So happy for you! :smile.:

Thanks man, big step! I know a lot of people are getting mentioned, but this felt great.

Well deserved! Did you submit your models via Instagram or anything like that?

Thanks! you just use the #Warhammercommunity hashtag when sharing your models to twitter or Instagram. As you can see, they dont even have to be great photos, just interesting models, possibly on a theme.

In other news' I've been working on my old Land Raider Crusader. I resprayed it back in March 2020, and finally got round to tarting it up. Basic paint job so far, and I've just started working on freehand. I used the drybrushing method for highlighting the raider again, and I can say I'll be sticking with it because:

1) its so much faster

2) it adds a subtle, almost stippled, texture to the armour, and make the thing seem much more real.

The door with the cheques I think will be quartered with different heraldic devices. The green company logo will get a gothic numeral, whatever tank number this is in my army. I think the vindi was #5? Might be up to 6 or 7.

In my youth, I was undecided between the name of the tank, and I painted INVICTOR on the front scroll. Later, when I discuvered micron pens, I wrote VINDICTOR on the top armour. The joke in the gaming club was that the driver fell to the black rage when writing the tank name down :biggrin.: . I think I'd like to honour this and again have mismatching names in those locations.

gallery_58096_11967_78403.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_29219.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_98013.jpg

gallery_58096_11967_92418.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Nice progress buddy and was cool seeing your minis on the Warhammer Twitch stream the other day too!

BCC

That yellow-mouthed melta just made a strong point for me that old-school is best-school :biggrin.:

It needs a wash I think, but will look great on the finished tank.

Thanks guys! Indeed, no school like old-school! The MM is just me sloppily building up the yellow with thick coats of Averland over black, it'll get the shading and charring soon enough.

A little more on the tank front, the LR is at tabletop standard, so I'm putting it back on the shelf to get another tank TT ready, my Stalker. I was given this as a birthday present in maybe 2016. Time to finish it.

gallery_58096_11967_223637.jpg

BA Icon on the front, and yellow muzzles.

It needs a bit more tarting up and some freehand somewhere also. I'm thinking some black panels to break up the red.