Differences of the Successors - Update Project - AoV

Grand Master Belial

I originally wrote this at the end of 2007 after the previous codex came out and the Frater of that time wanted more information about their beloved successors. As one who liked to write science fiction for fun, I took to the boards with my own interpretation of each of the Successors and allowed the community to shape them into what became the original article that has since been added to the Librarium. Now it is 2013, little more than five years has passed and a new Codex has come out. With it, the canon for the Successors have intentionally been kept to a minimum to let us the gamers add the missing details with our creative imaginations. Now all of us here have our area of the hobby we enjoy more than the others, be it gaming, painting, converting or writing narratives. For those that enjoy other aspects of the hobby besides creative writing and would like to know more about the Successors, I present this UNOFFICIAL background to you for your use. Take from it what you like, discard what you don't. Use this as a framework to add more depth to your Successor and enjoy!

THE ANGELS OF VENGEANCE

Of all the 2nd Founding Successors, the Angels of Vengeance seem to be the most reliable when in a mixed force. The brothers of the Angels of Vengeance have maintained the original legion's panoply of black armor (including their fist Company) and it is rumored that they even continue the legion's original mission given during the Great Crusades, clear all who stand in the way of the Imperium of Man. They can be readily called upon to lead an Explorator team to new worlds and to purge worlds of any heretical and Xenos taint. A duty they perform with zeal if not maniacal, for any offense to the Emperor or the Lion is an offense to them.

On the battlefield, their tactical cunning is beyond reproach. Any opponents of the Angels of Vengeance will quickly find themselves dying a slow death as supplies are cut off and their forces diminished. The Angels of Vengeance tend to be quick to anger, however they are very slow to cool. For once the Angels of Vengeance engage in battle, they will not stop until the enemy has been utterly removed and destroyed.

Of all the Unforgiven, the Angels of Vengeance had the best accounting of themselves during the most recent Black Crusade. Their deep-rooted hatred to Chaos and heretics had the Angels of Vengeance taking on any Chaos force that they could find even if they were greatly outnumbered. Though they refused or deferred any glory that they have received, it was made known that the outcome of the Crusade could have been far worse were it not for the stalwart Angels of Vengeance.

HOME WORLD

The Angels of Vengeance are a Fleet based Chapter. In times when it’s numbers have been severely depleted in a protracted action. The remainder of the Chapter will either return to the Rock or to a sector of space that offers them multiple systems where potential recruits can be found and trained.

COMBAT DOCTRINE

They get in fast and doggedly pursue their quarry to the ends of the Imperium. At the time of the Second Founding, many marines who would later become the Angels of Vengeance were a part of Lion El’Johnson’s vaunted Ironwing.

The Angels of Vengeance prefer to take the fight to the enemy and in particular to any weak points that they find in their enemies defenses. To that end, they react quickly mounting their entire strike force in vehicles or drop pods before flooding their target with troops.

ORGANIZATION

The Angels of Vengeance tends to not have any Reserve Companies though they still maintain the unique First and Second Companies common to all Unforgiven Chapters. Every Company is equipped to maximize speed and mobility. The number of vehicles in the Chapter Armory has led to a greater number of Techmarines than other Unforgiven chapters.

BELIEFS

The Angels of Vengeance have lost their impetus that other Unforgiven Chapters have placed on finding the Fallen Dark Angels. Instead they focus on all mutants, aliens, and traitors with equal hatred. When the Angels of Vengeance do encounter a Fallen Dark Angel, the level of grim determination becomes nearly legendary as the Fallen’s schemes collapse under the cunning of the Angels of Vengeance.

BATTLECRY

"Death by a Thousand Cuts!"
"We bring Vengeance!"

Time to update this venerable old document to take into account some changes from the new Codex. But I will let the Frater to suggest any modifications or additions. I left the photos out for the moment so I could see some painted models.

I created this back in 2008 to add some spice to the Successors. Since this is fan made, I thought the Frater here should also be able to add additional input. I'll need to modify it to match the current Codex. Hence, the Update Project.

Well I love it it stinks that there isn't much fluff out there as I couldn't find squat when I was looking.

When there is not enough fluff, make fluff up!

It is one of my favorite parts of this hobby to let my creativity take wing.

I can see the AoV coming into conflict with the AoR over how to pursue the Fallen - The AoV would stay and finish whatever war then were involved with before that went off to chase shadows (leaving a battlefield before it was finished would be tantamount to admitting defeat), while the AoR would drop everything immediately. If they were involved in the same campaign the two chapters might come to blows, and perhaps it would only be defused due to the intervention of the Dark Angel's SGM.

One thing that annoyed me about Fantasy Flight's Deathwatch was that they had almost exactly the same fluff for the AoV and AoR, the main difference being that the AoV are shunned by other Imperial factions for being too stubborn in battle, whilst the AoR's aid was often refused because they sometimes disappeared without warning. Good thing I can ignore that!

• 3 weeks later...

Have to add a legal...

I originally wrote this at the end of 2007 after the previous codex came out and the Frater of that time wanted more information about their beloved successors. As one who liked to write science fiction for fun, I took to the boards with my own interpretation of each of the Successors and allowed the community to shape them into what became the original article that has since been added to the Librarium. Now it is 2013, little more than five years has passed and a new Codex has come out. With it, the canon for the Successors have intentionally been kept to a minimum to let us the gamers add the missing details with our creative imaginations. Now all of us here have our area of the hobby we enjoy more than the others, be it gaming, painting, converting or writing narratives. For those that enjoy other aspects of the hobby besides creative writing and would like to know more about the Successors, I present this UNOFFICIAL background to you for your use. Take from it what you like, discard what you don't. Use this as a framework to add more depth to your Successor and enjoy!

I like it.  You can also add important battles as their are 2-3 times in the new codex's time lines that the angels of vengeance were mentioned fighting along side of the dark angels, plus a decade of time where the second company master of the angels of vengeance was actually in charge of the dark angels ravenwing.  

Only thing I have personally been trying to think about is what would they refer to their first and second company as.  The codex says the successors maintain similar formations but they do not refer to them as the deathwing or ravenwing.    I have been thinking that the deathwing might be dubbed the Vengeancewing or something along that line in the Angels of Vengeance.

Also, was the Ironwing an official wing of the legion. If so where can i get more info on it.  I like the writings you have done as I am not a writer, but I get ideas from time to time.  If i come up with stuff, I will gladly contribute to it.  

Please do!

The Ironwing was a formation from the Rogue Trader days. In more recent times, it is the Spearhead supplement GW released through White Dwarf. Basically, it was an all armor formation alongside the all bike Ravenwing and all Terminator Deathwing.

Please do!

The Ironwing was a formation from the Rogue Trader days. In more recent times, it is the Spearhead supplement GW released through White Dwarf. Basically, it was an all armor formation alongside the all bike Ravenwing and all Terminator Deathwing.

Was thinking of names for the First and Second companies, so I searched other words that mean Vengeance:

Wrath = Wrathwing?

Avengement = Avengerwing? Avengers?

Punish = Punishment Wing, Punishers?

Retaliate = Retaliationwing? Retaliators?

some thoughts

Archived