Differences of the Successors - Update Project - Cons

Grand Master Belial

I originally wrote this at the end of 2007 after the previous codex came out and the Frater of that time wanted more information about their beloved successors. As one who liked to write science fiction for fun, I took to the boards with my own interpretation of each of the Successors and allowed the community to shape them into what became the original article that has since been added to the Librarium. Now it is 2013, little more than five years has passed and a new Codex has come out. With it, the canon for the Successors have intentionally been kept to a minimum to let us the gamers add the missing details with our creative imaginations. Now all of us here have our area of the hobby we enjoy more than the others, be it gaming, painting, converting or writing narratives. For those that enjoy other aspects of the hobby besides creative writing and would like to know more about the Successors, I present this UNOFFICIAL background to you for your use. Take from it what you like, discard what you don't. Use this as a framework to add more depth to your Successor and enjoy!

THE CONSECRATORS

A mystery to all but the Unforgiven, the Consecrators are a chapter that only recently appeared in the records. It could be argued that they were founded secretly after the 26th Founding. But no one denies their loyalty or their skill in war.

HOME WORLD

The Consecrators keep very close ties with the Dark Angels to the point that the Rock might as well be their home. The Consecrators do maintain a number of vessels for their own purpose.

COMBAT DOCTRINE

Little is known save that the Consecrators seem to fight in older suits of armor. There are few to no suits of Mk7 or Mk8 armor and only limited numbers of the Mk6 armor. The most prevalent appears to be Mk3 through Mk5 variants.

ORGANIZATION

The few reports seem to indicate that the Consecrators follow a Codex Organization similar to the Dark Angels almost to the letter.

It is thought that the stripe typically found running down the center of a marine’s helmet has some special significance. Most Troopers bear a Red stripe while Sergeants wear a Gold or Yellow Stripe and Masters wear a White or Bone colored stripe. Veterans tend to add black to their stripe in a variety of ways. Only the current Supreme Grand Master fails to wear a strip on his black helm.

BELIEFS

It is rumored that the Consecrators are to be a spearhead unit that will reignite the Great Crusade with a number that could very well be Legion.

BATTLECRY

None Known

• 3 weeks later...

Adding a legal for this Chapter

I originally wrote this at the end of 2007 after the previous codex came out and the Frater of that time wanted more information about their beloved successors. As one who liked to write science fiction for fun, I took to the boards with my own interpretation of each of the Successors and allowed the community to shape them into what became the original article that has since been added to the Librarium. Now it is 2013, little more than five years has passed and a new Codex has come out. With it, the canon for the Successors have intentionally been kept to a minimum to let us the gamers add the missing details with our creative imaginations. Now all of us here have our area of the hobby we enjoy more than the others, be it gaming, painting, converting or writing narratives. For those that enjoy other aspects of the hobby besides creative writing and would like to know more about the Successors, I present this UNOFFICIAL background to you for your use. Take from it what you like, discard what you don't. Use this as a framework to add more depth to your Successor and enjoy!

For what it's worth, I'll give you my interpretations of them taken from a thread when I was contemplating on how I might expand my squad of Consecrators:

... I was thinking more on the Consecrator's theme. I originally thought a sort of spreading the Lion's word (Word Bearers style) was fitting however I see the Guardians of the Covenant already fill that role. Then it came to me, they are bearers of the most ancient relics of the Legion and relics do not maintain or fix themselves. It seems fitting that Techmarines could play a more prominent role in the Consecrator Chapter, tending to ancient weapons and equipment that other less tech savvy marines simply could not handle. A subtle Mechanicus theme seems in order - nothing on the level of the Iron Hands of course.

But where there is ancient relics of Legion, there could also be clues pointing towards the Legion's darkest secrets. Surely we could not have the Mechanicus influence too rooted, sniffing around our revered weapons. This is where the idea takes a leap, and it really isn't needed, but what if the Techmarines did not spend time training on Mars but rather their complete training was done internally. Surely over 10K years a chapter could have possibly gained and retained the ability to teach their own. Perhaps they even have a group of Mechanicus tutors that are completely loyal to them. The actual Mechanicus would of course be utterly against such a move, in both regards, but that seems a good enough reason to explain the secrecy that surrounds the Consecrators.

This knowledge is much more about maintenance and safe keeping rather than building. They are a chapter of curators in a sense so each marine would have some advanced understanding beyond what his peers in other chapters may be taught. A prominent Master of the Forge would make sense - perhaps the Master of the Forge IS the Chapter Master in this case. Perhaps he is even nick named The Curator or bear the title, Curator General. A Keeper of Relics might work.

And if a time comes when the Lion awakens and reunites the Legion, what a great resource a chapter of technologically adept marines will make...

I like what you have EPK. The idea I am formulating for them is that when SGM Anadiel requested the creation of the DoC, he also started building the Consecrators as the Watchers in the Dark revealed to the SGM the 13th Black Crusade and the damage that will be done at that time and that there were too few marines able to stand against it. Risking all the Sons of the Lion, he started building a second chapter along with the Disciples of Caliban. These were to become the Consecrators. For the longest time, they were hidden within the Rock, but now they are loose to take the fight to the Dark gods of Chaos.

• 1 month later...

The item consecrated to me is not the wargear itself but the marine within.

In my narrative the Consecrators are not an entire chapter, but merely a few squads of Astartes. The second greatest secret in the long, long list of secrets held by the Dark Angels (after the Fall itself) is that after the Fall and the invasion of Caliban, the warp storms that helped to tear Caliban apart and send the Fallen through space and time were not created by the Ruinous Powers, but the result of the Watchers trying to save as many of the Dark Angels as possible.

Both Loyalists and Lutherites were flung across the Universe.

Only Azrael and the most senior Interrogator Chaplains know of this final, dark secret.

The Ravenwing and Deathwing hunt the Fallen, the ones who have turned to chaos and the ones who turned their back to the Lion, but they also are hunt their ancient brothers, loyal, first founding marines.

When the fallen are interrogated and are found to be pure, they are returned to battle, not as Dark Angels, but in their original armour, and as a Consecrator. Then they return to battle alongside their younger brothers, with all the experience and ferocity of one of the original marines. Sadly even some originally loyal to the Lion are forced to repent, having spent too long in the Warp.

Every Consecrator unit in my army is accompanied by an IC, as even after the process of interrogation the DA can never be totally sure of their purity. I field mine as Death Company, as after seeing Caliban destroyed and going through the interrogation no Marine can be completely unchanged.

• 2 months later...

Archived