Differences of the Successors - Update Project - AoVig

Grand Master Belial

I originally wrote this at the end of 2007 after the previous codex came out and the Frater of that time wanted more information about their beloved successors. As one who liked to write science fiction for fun, I took to the boards with my own interpretation of each of the Successors and allowed the community to shape them into what became the original article that has since been added to the Librarium. Now it is 2013, little more than five years has passed and a new Codex has come out. With it, the canon for the Successors have intentionally been kept to a minimum to let us the gamers add the missing details with our creative imaginations. Now all of us here have our area of the hobby we enjoy more than the others, be it gaming, painting, converting or writing narratives. For those that enjoy other aspects of the hobby besides creative writing and would like to know more about the Successors, I present this UNOFFICIAL background to you for your use. Take from it what you like, discard what you don't. Use this as a framework to add more depth to your Successor and enjoy!

THE ANGELS OF VIGILANCE

"The origins of the Angels of Vigilance are shrouded in mystery. It is suspected that the Chapter came into existence during the Second Founding, but it is unknown from which Legion their gene-seed originates. Given the monastic nature and unflinching devotion to duty of the Space Marines within the Chapter's ranks, it is believed that they may be one of the Dark Angel's successor Chapters. However this is unconfirmed and certainly the Chapter is not listed in the Apocrypha of Davio as such.

HOME WORLD

The fortress monastery of the Angels of Vigilance is a gigantic orbital dock circling the world of Pervigilium. These docks are situated just outside the Cadian Gate, the stable corridor of space that leads from the Eye of Terror to Earth. Each time the fleets of Chaos erupt from the Eye of Terror, the Angels of Vigilance stand ready to fight them; and when warp space is calm enough to allow passage, the Angels of Vigilance take the fight to the forces of Chaos.

Pervigilium itself is a feral pre-black powder planet, in perpetual state of war amongst various tribes. A single continent surrounded by a mass of water.... Terrain is not good enough to sustain a regular yield of crops so inhabitants are forced to hunt for food most of the time... tribes clash in order to establish the better hunting grounds.

The forbidden place at the top of a mountain is taboo for all the inhabitants and the keep surrounding it is guarded by a squad of marines at all times, with one month rotation.

COMBAT DOCTRINE

Unlike many other Chapters of Space Marines, the Angels of Vigilance have never once mobilized their entire Chapter to fight in warzones across the galaxy. Each battle brother has sworn a blood oath that the monastery shall never be undefended and each time the Chapter has been called to war, at least one company is duty bound to remain on the monastery. Several times in the Chapter's history the Masters of the Chapter have had their loyalty questioned when they have ignored the High Lords of Terra's requests for the Chapter's aid.

The source of this blood oath is unrecorded, but Imperial histories show that in the years following the Horus Heresy, the Dark Angels Legion of Space Marines disobeyed direct orders from the High Lords of Terra and launched a campaign against the ruling castes of Pervigilium. Years later, following the Second Founding, the Angels of Vigilance took up station around the planet and have kept watch on it and the Eye of Terror ever since."

The Angels of Vigilance are especially good at fighting the forces of Chaos as they tend to encounter them during every Black Crusade, as most forces come through the Cadian Gate. The Angels of Vigilance field a large number of Assault squads to emphasize their credo to strike swiftly to quickly destroy their opposition and withdraw.

Due to their close proximity to the Eye of Terror, they can often send units into the Eye to fight the forces of Chaos in their own territory.

The Angels of Vigilance are one of only four chapters to have served in both the Third War for Armageddon and against the Thirteenth Black Crusade

ORGANIZATION

The Angels of Vigilance is another chapter that organizes their Reserve Companies like the Battle Companies. In this way, the Angels can respond quickly to any available crisis near the Cadian Gate.

Another variance is in the 5th and 6th Tactical Squads. These two particular squads train not only as Tactical Marines but also as Assault marines. In this way it is possible for a company to field up to four Assault squads instead of the standard two. The 5th and 6th Squads usually operate without jet packs as jump packs require a lot of skill and training to use effectively. Time the 5th and 6th may not have. Instead they utilize drop pods and other transports to deliver them to the field of battle.

BELIEFS

Every 5 years the tribes are visited and the fittest youths are taken into the stars, while the remains of former members are returned in a metal sealed casing.

BATTLECRY

None

Time to update this venerable old document to take into account some changes from the new Codex. But I will let the Frater to suggest any modifications or additions. I left the photos out for the moment so I could see some painted models.

Another variance is in the 5th and 6th Tactical Squads. These two particular squads train not only as Tactical Marines but also as Assault marines. In this way it is possible for a company to field up to four Assault squads instead of the standard two. The 5th and 6th Squads usually operate without jet packs as jump packs require a lot of skill and training to use effectively. Time the 5th and 6th may not have. Instead they utilize drop pods and other transports to deliver them to the field of battle.

Not sure if this is true, but

I was under the impression that marines promoted from the 10th company usually went first to devastator squads then assault squads then tactical squads, hence the 5th and 6th tactical squads (or any tactical squad) in any battle company formation could deploy as assault marines or devastators if the mission required it?

Also that would mean that the tactical marines would also be trained to use jump packs?

Fair point.

When I wrote this, the fluff at the time was that Scouts would be promoted into one of the 4 Reserve Companies based on their aptitudes. The Space Marine Codex has since modified that so that Scouts will always be promoted to the 9th Company.

Just one of the many re-writes to come.

Fair enough, they are pretty cool though, I was having a gander through...almost makes me want some new shiny dark angel minis... =D. I like the fact that their reserve companies are actually more battle companies, which has always made much more sense to me...why would space marines have half their chapter as reserve formations! (and what exactly do they have captains for if they aren't deployed as balanced combat formations!).

On the whole I don't like the idea that the squads are fixed in the codex, I find this highly unlikely considering that marines are the masters of war and should be deployable in whatever role is required.

Hmmm...a thought. Borrowing from 1st and 2nd Comp, the 4 Reserve Companies never fight as individual companies, but as 4 Reserve Forces with 2-3 squads from each company. They are Codex adherent but fights like a battle company.

I would imagine that would be how they would work, that would give you basically 4 battle companies of

5 Tactical Squads

2 or 3 Assault Squads

2 or 3 Devestator Squads

So it isn't much of a leap just to say they have 7 Battle Companies. I can't imagine there would be any point really in having a reserve force of more than one or two companies of space marines ready for deployment or on rotation to repair and rearm. And if they were in reserve they would still need to be organised as a battle company in order to respond to any threat. Since they always have 1 Company stationed at their fortress monastery this would mean they would have their 1st and 2nd veteran companies, then 5 battle companies deployed to various warzones and 2 battle companies rearming or refitting (1 in reserve and 1 guarding in the monastery) and then 1 Scout Company.

With regards to the fluff on the organisation of the battle companies: 5th and 6th Tactical Squad could be used able to deploy as a vehicle borne assault squad in order to be used as a quick reaction force against direct combat threats to tactical squads which are considerable considering their operations are near the eye of terror. Additionally they could be mounted in razorbacks instead of rhinos so that they do no remove firepower from the battle line by rearming with combat weapons instead of bolters.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding a Legal to reduce Confusion

I originally wrote this at the end of 2007 after the previous codex came out and the Frater of that time wanted more information about their beloved successors. As one who liked to write science fiction for fun, I took to the boards with my own interpretation of each of the Successors and allowed the community to shape them into what became the original article that has since been added to the Librarium. Now it is 2013, little more than five years has passed and a new Codex has come out. With it, the canon for the Successors have intentionally been kept to a minimum to let us the gamers add the missing details with our creative imaginations. Now all of us here have our area of the hobby we enjoy more than the others, be it gaming, painting, converting or writing narratives. For those that enjoy other aspects of the hobby besides creative writing and would like to know more about the Successors, I present this UNOFFICIAL background to you for your use. Take from it what you like, discard what you don't. Use this as a framework to add more depth to your Successor and enjoy!

Archived