A (rarely updated) Lamenters WIP Blog

I've been wanting to do some Lamenters for a while, so this weekend I got the itch to finally have a go at them. I'm making a small force of them as allies for my Sisters of Battle, with a group of 1st Co. TDA as the center piece. I'm still not sure what codex I'm going to use, but that's important for modeling yet. This weekend I decided to put together a Rifleman Dreadnought and try out painting some metal Terminators I had on hand as practice for when I put together my new plastic kit later.

Here's the Rifleman Dread:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/rifleman-front-full.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/rifleman-front-close.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/rifleman-front-oblique.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/rifleman-rear-oblique.jpg

The green background for taking pictures of a mostly yellow model wasn't a good idea. I'm going to go back to photographing on a white background.

I'm thinking of making the top part of the sarcophagus front boltgun grey like the horizontal accent pieces, because the bleached bone of the head is washed out by the yellow of the dreadnought body, I think. Maybe. I'm going to stare at it for a few days before I decide that.

I wasn't sure about what to do with the gothic arch things on the front, but I'm OK with what I did, I guess.

I may have gone overboard on the soot and grease effects on the rear, but I think it worked out on the ends of the autocannons. I also need to go back at fiddle with the silver eagle thing on the front of the sarcophagus and also put a heavier wash on the rear armour plate over the engine.

Not sure if I need to lighten up the yellow on top of the dreadnought.

Also not sure if I need to colour in the scrollwork in silver, since it seems to be suffering the same problem contrasting with the yellow as the helmet.

The shin guards are missing because I scavenged them for other models a long time ago. Need to bits order some...

Critques and comments welcome (and desired.) I'll post the experimental Terminators tomorrow.

Having a soft spot for the Lamenters (Since the old "Space Marine" novel - "the Chapter of the Lambs" msn-wink.gif ), I like him a lot happy.png Yellow is a hard colour to do well. I take it you're going to paint their "iconic" Heraldry on his armour somewhere? I think that if you paint the arch above his head in the same colour as below, it might make his head stand out more.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing more happy.png

Thanks for the look! I honestly forgot about chapter heraldry when I was painting him. I'm considering doing some black and white checks across the top on the body, but I'm undecided as of yet. Another thought I had was to put the bleeding heart in the arch of one of the shin guards, and some black and white checks in the other.

Another thought I had was to put the bleeding heart in the arch of one of the shin guards, and some black and white checks in the other.

That would be very cool! I think you should go with that ^_^

I love this guy! when I start the Lamenters part of my four armies thread, I hope they look this good. how do you do your yellow. mine is darker, more mustardy, but I am curious as it looks amazing. do you airbrush!

Hey, thanks! I'm experimenting with a more mustardy look based on the first Imperial Armour Badab War book, but for this one I used Sunburst Yellow washed with Gryphonne Sepia.

I've got to get those Terminators photographed and put up too, been putting it off because the board has been coming and going the last few days...

No reason not to do that now, since I'm having trouble with sleep...

These are the Terminators I talked about earlier:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/Lamenters-Tactical-TDA-WIP-001.jpg

They're done with the brighter colouring I did the Dreadnought with, though it's not as dramatic on the smaller minis. These are old metal and old plastic TDA I had as random spares, though as luck would have it I had enough for a whole squad (last one not pictured, and counting the Chaplain as a Sergeant for now.)

Here's a spare Tactical Marine I'm working on to test out the darker yellow and some marking choices:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/Lamenters-WIP-2-002.jpg

I'm using Reaper's "Palomino Gold" washed with the old stand-by, Gryphonne Sepia. You can't see it in this picture, but I hand painted a big black arrow on the shoulder pad. I did the knee black and was experimenting with hand brushing different numerals for company number, but they kept looking like crud so I blacked over them at the end of the day.

I'm not sure if I want to do green or red for the eye lenses.

For the shoulder pad this time I tried basing the whole model yellow and bringing the white back by stages instead of painting it separately. Loads easier and I like the way it looks better. I don't know how I'm going to do the knees on the regular minis yet. My freehanding is hit-and-miss, and I've never been able to make transfers apply to any satisfaction. The IA book just shows the crossed swords for assault squads, or plain numerals for company number, but I can't decided, and since everything I've tried so far has sucked it sort of has me stumped.

I'm also undecided on whether or not I should paint the non-bones part of the Crux Terminatus a metallic colour or what, if anything. As noted on the Dreadnought, the Bleached Bone doesn't contrast very well with the yellow.

I'm starting an Assault Terminator squad, and I put together the Sergeant last night:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/Lamenters-WIP-2-003.jpg

These guys aren't going to see paint until I've finalized the colours and process on the older minis.

I'm new to Loyalist marines, so I wasn't sure how to load out an assault squad, so I decided to magnetise all of their arms. It's easy, so why not? It should make painting the arms easier, too.

• 8 months later...

So yeah. This WIP blog updates very slooooooooooow.

I couldn't sleep the other night, so I ended up doing some work on my Lamenters because I don't really know why but I did.

Right now what I've got is the base of Palomino Gold, a wash of Gryphonne Sepia, and just now I went back with another layer of Palomino Gold. Next I'm thinking my Sunburst Yellow to do some highlights here and there, but that's not for tonight as I should be in bed right now.

gallery_53134_7133_10706.jpg

It's not the best picture. I get lazy and photograph in my studio, which has terrible lighting. Also you can see where I kept having trouble with paint consistency on their shin guards. Why just on their left shin guards or knees? It is a mystery to me.

I also sprayed my Storm Raven and a drop pod yellow the other day. I'm not planning on really doing anything with those until these Terminators are done, but at least now when I play with them in the meantime they won't be primer white. I don't have pictures of those because they are boring to look at right now.

I bought a couple of shoulder pad lots in pursuit of enough Deathwatch pads for a separate project, so there I was staring at exactly 10 power armour Crux Terminatus shoulder pads when it occurred to me that a squad of Veteran Tactical Marines would look cool and probably fit in with the Lamenters fairly well, who probably aren't lucky enough to have enough Terminator suits to go around. So now I've decided that ALL my Lamenters marines will be 1st Company, because the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Archived