Of Salvation and Reavers - an LPC vow

Aqui

After much procrastination, I've finally started getting my (amended) vow done. I had planned to do far more, but I've decided to try to step up my painting and try to complete what I've vowed to a higher standard than I use get to. I've vowed nine Tactical Marines (so that I finally have a complete squad) of my DIY Dark Angels successor the Angels of Salvation, and a Dark Apostle (who will be Ansgar Hr'Boor of my DIY Traitors the Bahltimyr Reavers )

So pictures:

gallery_51296_7200_13365.jpg

gallery_51296_7200_83272.jpg

I hope that I can get my Tactical squad to the same consistency as the test mini or better, but I'm going to try a different approach in the way I paint. Before, I'd paint a couple of minis at a time, alternating between each to allow paint to dry and to prevent boredom. This time I'm going to try the "assembly line" method. It's one I've tried before, but I'd always get too carried away with one mini leaving the others behind effectively breaking the method. I'm really going to try to rein myself in this time.

With Hr'Boor, he presents another challenge - he's Finecast. Whilst it shouldn't make too much difference, there will be things I'll have to do different. I'll have to spend some time planning how to paint him properly and take a look at a few painting blogs on Finecast mini painting. The "Halo" that would normally be above his head snapped when I was removing him from the sprue dry.png so won't be added. It's not much of an issue as I wasn't that keen on it to be honest...

Hopefully will have more to report in the next few days happy.png

Another small update. I decided to take the plunge and buy a can of Skull White undercoat spray. It's the first time I've really used it as such, and I was nervous about laying it on too heavy. I might have put a little too much on the back of the mini's, but generally speaking, I'm very happy with the results. Whilst the can is a little pricy for what it is, the amount of time saved and the ability to undercoat without it being too heavy justifies the price tag. If anyone has an alternative to GW undercoat spray, I'd appreciate your input happy.png

Anyway:

med_gallery_51296_7200_59106.jpg

I'm just waiting for the minis to dry, before checking for bits I've missed and to recover from the smell of the propellant blink.png whilst I ensured that as many windows were open as possible, it's not nice on the chest! sad.png

Then I can get one with painting them happy.png Hopefully, will have more to report later today, or sometime tomorrow happy.png

Is the painted marine the "complete" paint sheme?? becouse it looks goodi smile.png can i get some more picts on it?? smile.png

Thanks happy.png

The Angels of Salvation are a DIY DA Successor via the Angels of Absolution. I haven't got that much in the way of fluff yet (and what I do have is in a state of flux...)

The colours for the Chapter is the same as the Dark Angels, but in reverse i.e. the First Company is Green and the others are "Bone/White".

So, pictures:

Front:

gallery_51296_7200_146397.jpg

Right side:

med_gallery_51296_7200_69380.jpg

Left side:

med_gallery_51296_7200_199029.jpg

It was done using a white undercoat, heavy drybrush of Screaming Skull, a heavy coating of Seraphim Sepia and then drybrushed with Screaming Skull and then White Scar.

The mini above, whilst I'm fairly happy with him, was painted fairly thickly despite me trying to water the paint down. However, the others are far better so far (as those have their undercoat sprayed on) . I've finished the Sepia stage, but I've been coughing like a daemon all day, so my hands' shakier than two Porcupines on their wedding night! laugh.png So, I'll be carrying on tomorrow, assuming the cough gets under control.

Another day, another post happy.png

Having left the minis overnight to dry properly, I added another wash of Seraphim Sepia, followed by a drybrush of Screaming Skull. After that a drybrush of White Scar. The shoulder guard edges are painted in two weak coats of Caliban Green. I've done the hands on the weapons in Screaming Skull. Not a massive amount done I suppose, but the fact that I kept to the plan and A) did the minis in a batch (as in each mini had one area done before going onto the next) and B ) thinning the Caliban Green, is a significant step forward to me. I suffer quite a bit with impatience and frustration at my own limited painting ability, so to be able to do this has made me feel a lot better about my progress happy.png

Spray painting the minis has definitely made things easier for me (despite the fumes, which has added to a very sore throat, nausea and general feeling of crappiness dry.png )

Things to improve upon:

Continue to thin paint

Batch painting For The Win

Patience

Improvement of steadying my hands when painting (one of the reasons why I hate painting Shoulder Guard edges)

Anyway, here is a group picture of how they look now:

gallery_51296_7200_272666.jpg

Hopefully I'll be up early enough tomorrow after watching the SuperBowl to be able to get a lot further...

Go Reavers...I mean Ravens :lol:

Thank you happy.png I'm currently reading up on how to paint skin tone (which is why the vast majority of my Marines have helmets laugh.png ) Also planning how to paint Hr'Boor. Hopefully it won't take me too much longer to get my vow completed as the Canoness and Celestine minis I bought a week or so ago are sorely tempting me laugh.png

Edit:

2,000th post! :blink:

After the night that was blink.png I've managed to complete my DA Successor squad, but am too knackered to get started on Ansgar Hr'Boor. I also have a old Space Wolf Terminator Librarian (the one with the runes and Aegis hood) to get started in the Space Wolf Subforum Winter's Advance, but they'll get started tomorrow. Anyway the picture:

gallery_51296_7200_10637.jpg

Can anyone guess which one is the "Test/Original one"? laugh.png

Well Acquilanus, you found the true calling and joined the Unforgiven - at last! :D

Looks good mate - I think the "warm" white was very well done. I think you also have a good recipe for Death Guard right there!

AIsn't the test mini the one on the right? The one with the slightly altered gun? What is it supposed to be?

Well Acquilanus, you found the true calling and joined the Unforgiven - at last! biggrin.png

Looks good mate - I think the "warm" white was very well done. I think you also have a good recipe for Death Guard right there!

AIsn't the test mini the one on the right? The one with the slightly altered gun? What is it supposed to be?

Thanks happy.png

I hadn't planned on getting Dark Angels, but the Dark Vengeance boxset was too good a chance to pass up (especially as I got the limited edition too happy.png ) The "White" is more of a dirty cream (similar to some Death Wing mini's I've seen). If I can afford it, I'd like to be able to make a Marine of each of the Legions before the Heresy, and Death Guard is one I'd like to do sooner than later ^_^ but that's not for ages yet.

Still haven't got the Dark Angel rule book yet, so they are in "reserve" for now, after all I've got other armies to get finished first! laugh.png

You are correct - the Marine on the right is the original, although the weapon isn't modified, it had the plasma gun Marine behind him, making the weapon look odd because of the angle laugh.png

Here's another picture:

gallery_51296_7200_167202.jpg

This time he's to the Plasma Marines' front and right.

Am taking a day or so off from painting, as I've got other non hobby related stuff to do, but Hr'Boor is going to be the first Finecast mini I've painted. There's a lot of detail on him. I don't want to mess him up :lol:

Looking good mate :)

Army Painter are a good alternative to GW for spray primers, tend to be cheaper, have smoother coverage & come in a multitude of colours including bone, which you might find saves you some time ;)

I like the progress you are making with the vow. I have not been brave enough to try the assembly line! I have a steady hand but it is my eyes that are not so good haha.

How a painter gets through the (potential) boredom of the assembly line will vary, but for the squad I've recently done I made sure that each "segment" I was painting (eg, eyes, or the basecoat etc) was something that could be done within 30 mins - 1 hour no longer.  That way, when I had finished, I could get back to the first one for something else to paint.  I also made sure I had something "fun" playing in the background - a favourite dvd that I wouldn't need to watch, but I could follow in my head if that makes sense.  There are still things that I'd do different, but I have learnt a lot from it and it's something I'll do again.  It also helps if you are in a good mood and have nothing else that is begging for your time - no distractions then.

tl:dr - there isn't anything to worry about, even if it does seem daunting at first.  You just need to find a way that you find that works best for you ^_^

If you are still looking for a skin tut here's mine - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/264026-quick-and-easy-skin-tutorial/

It's really easy to do and you'll probably have all the paints already laugh.png

Nearly all the paints (don't have Deneb Stone :lol: ) I painted the DA Sergeant using Tallarn flesh, washed it with a red wash (the new one forgot its name :blink: ), and then dry brushed with Tallarn flesh again. It's okay, but the next time I'll try your tutorial ^_^ According to the story description I wrote for him Hr'Boor is pale faced, so I'll take a look at the Raven Guard tutorials I saw somewhere :lol:

Will still probably have most of my Marines with helmets though :lol:

It's designed to be flexible, so you could use Screaming Skull in place of Dheneb Stone :lol:

As for doing super pale skin start with Screaming Skull, highlight with White and make a mix of washes to this approx recipe 1 part Black, 1 part Blue and 6 parts water. Layer this over the whole face and let it dry and just keep applying it to the recesses, letting it dry in between coats,  until you have the look you want.

It's designed to be flexible, so you could use Screaming Skull in place of Dheneb Stone laugh.png

As for doing super pale skin start with Screaming Skull, highlight with White and make a mix of washes to this approx recipe 1 part Black, 1 part Blue and 6 parts water. Layer this over the whole face and let it dry and just keep applying it to the recesses, letting it dry in between coats, until you have the look you want.

At the risk of sounding like Kryten :lol: , I should have a spare head or two somewhere that I could practice on. Will have to try it ^_^

Archived