ShadowSong Painting Vow

ShadowSong7007

I, Shadowsong7007 of the Index Astartes, vow on the honour of the Crimson Fists to paint and present at least 2 tactical squads, 1 scout squad (10 strong) on or before the 31st of March, 2013. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/b3276076-b299-438a-a63d-f430811b132d_zps2ff5adf2.jpg

So this here is my thread to show my progress and hopefully peer pressure me into finishing my vow. First a disclaimer, this thread is not to teach anyone how to properly do anything. You want to see pictures of someone with skill who paints Crimson Fists go to

Kantor's Last Stand (A Crimson Fist WIP Thread)

This is merely me attempting to get a cool sig picture. Plus I want to get a 1000 points painted so I can get back into playing! I'm a simple person.

Sons of Medusa on the left. I suck at green so that was a no go. Crimson Fist in the middle. I like it and its simple to paint. Lastly on the right is a DIY chapter model that I lost interest in. Feel free to steal the color scheme. Don't mind the Orks in the background. They are harmless, I swear whistling.gif

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/58f93c411cd8b912bfff3530a19713ab_zps6ae15d24.jpg

Sorry about the huge picture sizes. First time messing with pictures from my ipad. Didn't realize they would be huge. Oh well.

So small update

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/FirstWorld_zpsbd67d948.jpg

First world problems I know but I have a reason for it. I originally thought I was going to paint Sons of Medusa but after reading the newest Iron Hands book and the fist test model I wasn't really feeling them. I'm a huge lore nerd so I have to "like" an army before I'll even paint it.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/635e121e90d60fc7faf4f324804d9be8_zpsdf56c2d0.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/62cd057178d8c99060951e8897d1a338_zps522f27d5.jpg

Once again don't mind the orks in the background.

• 1 month later...

Here is WIP shot, finally got done with Mid terms and a tactical squad. The crappy primer I used is what caused the most delay I think. Sorry for the crap photo, only have the phone. The scouts and other tac squad shouldn't take nearly as long.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/b0c66886-57ca-4752-ae98-c484da0f0330_zpscac88379.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/f3612fdb-1a52-4d9c-977a-d466f96aac40_zpsf91e51fb.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/87623e14-e09c-4720-babf-7c4aff25dfd1_zpsa68cce8e.jpg

Looks like your making steady progress. As for the white primer for a dark coloured chapter, that isn't too bad a thing, as I usually find a white primer useful in irder for the model not to be too dark. Keep it up.

It's not the fact that it was white. I had to put 4 coats of paint on there to get a solid decent looking color. I thought maybe I got a crap pot of paint but when I tried it on the grey primer and black it came out fine. I'm glad I went with Crimson Fists, after playing BA so long it's a nice change of pace/color

Honestly man, the only time I've ever used anything except White Primer is when the model is predominantly going to be black or metallic silver. Well, black is also a better primer for smaller scales like Flames of War. But really, White Primer lets you see so much of what you're painting and it makes colors on top of it look much, much better. (If this starts one of those silly primer debates, I'm very sorry.)

Wait, hold up. You read Wrath of Iron AND now are not "feeling" the Iron Hands? What you trying to say, huh? Too good for us?

To each their own I suppose. Personally I find the lambent green of the Sons of Medusa to be the off-putting aspect of them! But hey, if I was to do something other than Iron Hands the Crimson Fists would sneak in to my top 5 choices. (Iron Hands > Minotaurs > Blood Ravens > Imperial Fists > Crimson Fists). So I can respect your decision in that regard. Everything is looking solid, just saw your quip about being put off about the IH and wanted to pick your brain as to "what" aspect of their character turned you away? Naturally it isn't their respect for strength, ability to get the job done with efficiency, or incredible skill at arms that was their down fall. Don't tell me you're upset about our lust for perfection through mechanical augmentation?

LORE FIGHT! No seriously I love these things.

Actually my biggest problem with the Iron Hands and how they are written is the fact they seem to have forgotten why they fight and who they fight for. I get that they don't really get along with other chapters. That's completely understandable. I also get the fact that they aren't as "nice" as some chapters. In all honesty I think the "niceness" of Salamanders and Space Wolves seems to get over played a bit much. To me a Space Marine force being nice means they give you a 5 minute warning before they start shelling the field.

No matter what Space Marine chapter it is they all have to remember that they are there to protect humanity. Just like a guy who wins the lottery and suddenly forgets what it was like being poor, Space marines constantly struggle to remember that at one time they were humans as well. They are there to protect humanity, they do the jobs that humanity can't do. Reading about the Iron Hands it seems like not only do they forget the fact they were at one time humans but they embrace the difference and strive to make themselves even more different from their fellow space marines.

ShadowSong7007, on 13 Mar 2013 - 17:27, said:

LORE FIGHT! No seriously I love these things.

Actually my biggest problem with the Iron Hands and how they are written is the fact they seem to have forgotten why they fight and who they fight for. I get that they don't really get along with other chapters. That's completely understandable. I also get the fact that they aren't as "nice" as some chapters. In all honesty I think the "niceness" of Salamanders and Space Wolves seems to get over played a bit much. To me a Space Marine force being nice means they give you a 5 minute warning before they start shelling the field.

No matter what Space Marine chapter it is they all have to remember that they are there to protect humanity. Just like a guy who wins the lottery and suddenly forgets what it was like being poor, Space marines constantly struggle to remember that at one time they were humans as well. They are there to protect humanity, they do the jobs that humanity can't do. Reading about the Iron Hands it seems like not only do they forget the fact they were at one time humans but they embrace the difference and strive to make themselves even more different from their fellow space marines.

While I see your position I think every organization needs polarization points in order to better define what it means to be a member of said organization. Case and point, Salamanders, Space Wolves, and Ultramarines (In some instances) have a sterling respect for the life of their comrades in the imperial army & navy and will go into harms way to see that life preserved, even if it costs them. On the other side of the coin chapters such as the Iron Hands, Dark Angels & *cough* Marines Malevolent are all more about taking the fight to the enemies of mankind with little regard to the cost of achieving those goals in terms of mortal life. With that distinction (and there is many more chapters that fit into either spectrum, and even more who rest more centrally) we can see that without these extreme points of view a lot of the character of each chapter would be lost. NOW, on to the Iron Hands specifically.

Efficiency, determination, unyielding resolve, and an extreme loathing for weakness and heresy are what drive them forward and, in the case of Wrath of Iron ****spoilers**** the threat of Chaos was paramount within the spires and, driven by urgency and a hatred of chaos, the clan commander made the sacrifices he did to ensure his alpha-strike was successful. It was not merciful or compassionate to the imperial army, but they ARE a military body and it isn't as if the clan commander was sending waves of civilians at the enemy at gun point, right? It comes down to priorities. Iron Hands want to get the job done with efficiency, haste, and do not want to waste time with politicking or discussion. With is really part of the reason I like them so much, I prefer my super soldiers to be somewhat detached. All the lore I read about marines when I was growing up revolved around how they are perceived by mortals and how they truly stand apart in the realm of humanity. That seperation, coupled with thousands of years of history to indoctrinate their neophytes with, Space Marines would have a challenging time clinging to their roots as mortals themselves. The fact that SW's & Sallies do it so well is a testament to how closely knit their chapters are to their human populations. I see the Iron Hands as being far more isolationistic from their mortal counter-parts, only interacting with them when recruiting neophytes and little else.

Regardless! I can understand your aversion, sometimes cold logic and brutal efficiency are intimidating prospects, best to choose a chapter that is very much about shooting Orks in the face. A chapter fighting for survival in the face of tremendous odds, an up-hill struggle to reforge their legacy after being crushed under the weight of the green tide. Lucky their big brother has their back, that's all I can say! Looking forward to more!

• 3 weeks later...

Being sick, mid-terms, work being crazy and who knows what else but I have completed my vow. I didn't update as much as I would have liked but these won't be the last thing I paint and I'm going to pursue my own vow of updating in a timely manner.

Chalk one up for the +Index Astartes+, Crimson Fists! There is only the Emperor!

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/65fe9c4b2e5a31f7f9c53ef0b78d59e7_zpsfe5e097e.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/061088059b558ce41e00c28487cc40ac_zpsc31b903e.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/6f04a52e7eb3ee93d88634c2c089d5ca_zpsac91dff0.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/8686ec480b23e9db322e62b4c78ba8fb_zps75915d90.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/AngryCow27/c38ae76a30dbd5e19028d77149ad0f6c_zps4cb4bbbc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't tell for sure - but you have a great start to yur army there. Any chance of some pics with the light source originating from behind the camera?

Working on that actually, as you can see with my work area I have the light up top which is nice for painting but sucks for taking photos. Will be picking up a couple lights when I get paid, been wanting to set up a nice photo box for awhile.

20130411 181017

20130411 180923

20130411 180913

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update time ....finally.  Finals are done for the semester, Dean List for me /huzzah. Got paid so I was able to pick a decent drafting lamp for picture taking.

Most of these are me tinkering with the lamp and camera, much like my painting don't expect anything fancy.

DSCN0416

Captain and one of the Sergeants

DSCN0425

DSCN0427

DSCN0426

DSCN0420

This guy is one of my Captains. He has a long and storied history. When I got into 40k I bought a bunch of models from a friend of mine who got out of the hobby. This guy was in the box and at the time he had the backpack with the cape on it and a power fist to go along with the power sword. Horribly illegal but whatever, rule of cool baby. So he got painted to go along with the rest of my Blood Angels. What I didn't know at the time was that he is actually a Dark Angel Sergeant. I didn't find out till later when another friend of mine got into 40k and played Dark Angels. So to make our games cooler I we claimed he was one of the Fallen, and if my buddy ever beat him in CC then he would count as captured and get a buttload of VPs. I'm happy to say he has never fallen in CC and has 2 confirmed Dreadnaught kills to his name. Granted they were with haywire grenades but whatever, a kill is a kill.  So now that I have decided to quit playing Blood Angels and went with Crimson Fists he is now a "son of Dorn." Should I play any Dark Angel player I plan to let them know about him. It's my duty as an Imperial subject to let them know about a possible Fallen in their midst.

DSCN0424

DSCN0423

DSCN0422

DSCN0421

Couple of scouts I did. Showing the Camo Cape paint job, nothing fancy but I wanted the urban camo look.

DSCN0429

DSCN0430

DSCN0431

DSCN0432

Last but not least some projects im working on now. As you can see I have painting ADD.

DSCN0436

AoBR Dreadnaught. Standard model, nothing special. Wanted to get it done before the ETL 2. Still plucking models out from the mountain of grey I have trying to decide what im going to do for my 5 vows. I love summer vacation.

DSCN0442

DSCN0441

DSCN0440

DSCN0439

DSCN0438

I ShadowSong7007 answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete Command Squad, Scout Squad, Venerable Dreadnaught, Devastator Squadx2  from CODEX:Spacemarine of total value 1050pts. on or before August 15th. Success will bring eternal glory to the Crimson Fists Chapter and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end

So yeah, there's that. Figured I would go big at first. I have other things to paint afterwards but after looking at the mountain of grey I possess I really wanted to paint these. Excited about the scout squad, I have a Landspeeder Storm still under going renovations after being procured from some unnamed auction site. Will put up pictures for the first part of the vow later today.

So this here is my thread to show my progress and hopefully peer pressure me into finishing my vow. First a disclaimer, this thread is not to teach anyone how to properly do anything. You want to see pictures of someone with skill who paints Crimson Fists go to

Kantor's Last Stand (A Crimson Fist WIP Thread)

I just noticed this shout out.  Thanks for the compliment, Brother.

Archived