Design advice for a custom Vulkan

Jimsolo

For an upcoming tourney, I am trying to re-do my scratchbuilt Vulkan He'stan, including a complete rebuild and (finally!) getting a paintjob on him.  I've run into a snag, however. One of his shoulderpads has a circular field and a small nameplate on it.  My concept was that this piece of his armor was a pre-Heresy relic.  (So, no Salamanders iconography, instead, 18th legion iconography.)  I was going to put a stylized XVIII on the nameplate, and had originally intended to put the eighteenth letter of the greek alphabet on the circular field.  Unfortunately, after counting it out (and then thumbnailing it) I decided that a sigma looks rather silly in the circle. 

So I have this shoulder pad here: 

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/8/8/256013_sm-Vulkan%20He%27stan%2C%20Custom%20Vulkan%20He%27stan.jpg

And no idea what to put in the circular field.  Any suggestions?

A single headed eagle would be quite appropriate?

First up, the original Roman 18th Legion lost their eagle standard at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, which was recaptured 5 years later by Germanicus' armies.

Also, as he's a Salamander - after Prometheus stole fire from the gods, Zeus had him chained to a rock and his liver ripped out by an eagle every day, only for it to grow back overnight so he could go through the whole thing again the next day.

Jazzman!  Great idea!  I wish that it had come sooner, lol.  Unfortunately, B&C went down and I had to have it painted for a tournament on the 9th.  I went with an elongated XVIII.  If I redo it, you have the winning suggestion.  Thanks for the help!

Archived