Lexington's Word Bearers - [4.19.19 - CSMs and Dreads!]

Lexington

"Bring fire and bring shell and heap all upon the pyre. With flame and gun we shall make an end to the withered husk that is human life. And in the blazing furnace of battle we shall forge anew the iron will of yet a stronger race.

As wriggling maggots upon a rotted corpse they glut themselves upon the rank flesh that is the Earth. Such is mankind, blind and bound to a dying world, nought but the writhing worm that mires itself in the corruption of its own progenitors. They who feast today do so in ignorance of their mortality. For tomorrow they must die or change, and, if changing, then forever open their eyes to the dark hunger of eternal life."

Hey everyone,

I've played Word Bearers in some variant or another for the past fourteen years or so, always fiddling with and changing my army, burning it to the ground every once in a while before resurrecting it from the bit-strewn ashes. With the crusty Age of Adulthood upon me, tho, I figure it's finally time to set these bastards down into a form that'll stick. I'm starting out by entering into this year's Librarium Painiting Challenge, but hope to keep going with this WIP blog as a way to keep motivation up. Let's see how it goes.

This army was originally inspired by John Blanche's CSM from the 2nd Edition Chaos Codex:

gallery_23421_8142_67915.jpg

There's a mix of devotional imagery, baroque machinery and base savagery in that army that speaks of something filled with black, vile intent, and I hope to tease out some of that same surreal madness. Of course, lately, I've had other inspiration, as keen eyes will be able to tell.

Anyhow, less talk, more models:

gallery_23421_8142_6725.jpg

gallery_23421_8142_319645.jpg

gallery_23421_8142_291403.jpg

My first squad, ten mean, rowdy boys from the wrong side of the galactic core. This is the subject of my LPC vow for the year. They're not quite done (you may notice the one chap on the far right with no arms...), but are nearing completion. Next up will be some gap filling and basing - any thoughts on that last one will be appreciated.

gallery_23421_8142_59175.jpg

This guy's my favorite so far, though his armless friend may challenge that status soon enough.

So, comments, ideas, criticism and the like? All welcome!

Edited by Lexington

Love the poses ^_^  Whilst every model has something about them that makes them unique, they don't look out of place with each other as a group.

Besides a few mould lines, they look very good ^_^  I take it the horned helmets are from Warhammer Fantasy?

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. Sorry for the radio silence - an amazingly hectic work week last week meant I was up for little more than coming home and staring into space before face-planting into bed most days. With the weekend rolling through, tho, I managed to make a few revisions to the squad, mostly minor, but here's a big one.

gallery_23421_8142_3739.jpg

His previous pose just wasn't working for me - too static and directionless. Try as I might, I couldn't tease anything interesting out of that mechanical arm, so it had to go. Pretty happy with what's come since, and it gave me reason to test out a bolt pistol design lifted from DarkVen's awesome 8th Grand Company (you think I'd get sick of stealing from Kurze's boys, but, hey, whatever works).

...of course, typing this, I realize he's not equipped with a requisite bolt gun, and I've just undercoated him and the rest of the squad. Time to look in to some on-the-fly modifications. *sigh* Well, you know, the best work can come from the biggest challenges...

Finally settled on an arm configuration for Tusky:

gallery_23421_8142_121954.jpg

Not the most immediately threatening pose, but I'm a firm believer that bolters should be a bit frightening, and I think that comes through nicely when held as a primary weapon by a nasty creature like this. Besides, the squad's already chock-full of Marines holding a wicked-looking hand weapon in a leisurely manner. No need to overdo it.

In non-LPC news, here's a couple of in-progress character models that'll be leading eventual Cult Squads:

gallery_23421_8142_425224.png

Tubbo here will be leading a squad of similarly-helmed Plague Marines, though I'm a bit stuck on how to do the squad itself. While there's a lot of "fat" power armored miniatures out there, it's not so common to see something like this, where the weight of the miniature gives off a look of stout, implacable strength as well as bloat. It's a look I'd like to carry through for the whole squad. Definitely open to ideas if anyone has 'em!

gallery_23421_8142_151745.jpg

I've got a shameful love of dumb villain designs from late 80's/early 90's pop fantasy, and it's definitely what's driving the aesthetics here. He was originally created to lead a squad of Thousand Sons, but I've been thinking that he might get swapped out and used as a normal Sorcerer, what with their immense usefulness in the new Codex. Eventually, he'll have an arm that's reaching out, zapping some poor, off-screen fool with the power of Chaos. Or Van Halen. You know, whichever.

I take it the horned helmets are from Warhammer Fantasy?

Yup! I'm trying not to overuse them, as it'll get tiresome, but a few of those heads have an amazing, savage look to them.

Anyhow, as said above, I've got the LPC squad undercoated and ready to paint starting tomorrow evening. Updates as they come!

Edited by Lexington

Eek.  Another army tempting me to make the foolish error of trying to truescale.  Curse your awesome results! :tongue.:

You've done a great job cramming a whole lot of detail onto the models and making it looks like it always belonged there.  I do not envy you the inevitable hellish frustration that will bring during painting.  All those nooks and crannies...:ermm:

Edited by Firepower

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread.

Badass marines man, can't say more. Love all the detailing and poses, they look ready for kicking some asses :thumbsup:

I guess I must keep up with my own marines, thanks for the inspiration!

Aw, you guys. :)

That dark apostle is brilliant, there is something about that head that is soo unnerving and creepy.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the 2nd Ed-era Blood Angels Death Company Chaplain the head and weaponry came from. I've always thought the death mask and blood symbolism in the Blood Angels meshes well with the Word Bearers' brand of savage faith, but it's difficult to bring old metal miniatures up to scale with my "biggerized" aesthetic. Seemed a shame not to use this guy, though, so I chopped him up in hopes that I'd find some way to use his most iconic bits somehow. This worked out even better than I'd planned!

Sorry for the radio silence - I've been trying out paint schemes on the squad's test model, and it's been frustrating trying to find a color palette that's satisfying. Think I've got a handle on something, though, and none too soon given how the LPC deadline looms. Pictures tonight!

Edited by Lexington

Paint test photos for you all. I'm pretty happy with the orangey hue and rough blocking - kind of trying for that surrealist Blanche vibe here - but something doesn't quite "click" for me yet. Thoughts from those more talented with color are definitely appreciated.

Oh, by the way, if anyone's curious, that's resin sand on his base, which I'm testing out as a weird, goopy ballast replacement. That is to say, despite appearances, that's not a more, uh, Slaaneshi substance.

http://lexingtonnet.com/sicarii/painttest1.jpg

http://lexingtonnet.com/sicarii/painttest2.jpg

http://lexingtonnet.com/sicarii/painttest3.jpg

Edited by Lexington

• 10 months later...

The sounds of apocalypse echoed from Ipsos. Thunderous roars of canon and the crumbling of concrete walls. Screams and wails suddenly silenced with the sickly crunch of pulverized bone ground into bursting flesh. Cracks of static followed chants of catechism and the offering of fresh souls to fell gods.

The world was burning, but from the forward command chamber of the
++The Promise of Absolution++, the planet appeared unblemished, free of the war and violence that raged upon its surface, without a hint of the darkness that the future held.

Within years, the only living memories of Ipsos would lie in the minds of those unfortunates herded into the warships of the Sicarii, to be used as slaves and fuel for the blood rites of those corrupted men and Astartes that dwelled within those terrible vessels. The remaining population would be worked to extinction, erecting huge buildings of brick and bone ascending into the world’s choked skies; monuments to a dark pantheon, seeking favor of powers that had long been silent to the long-damned Legionnaires.

From upon a throne of concrete, the Lord of that dark host listened to the cacophony in silence, and watched the world die without emotion. This was a beginning, a first step in greater things. Ipsos was a small world, hardly heating the blood of his Marines in its resistance. It was not a war of glory for his gods, but a murderous reminder.

An example.

A message.

The name of a conqueror, written across the stars in blood.

“Tremble, Imperium,” said the Lord Esarhaddon. “For I have returned to claim you.”

------------------

So, yeah. We're back. Almost a full calendar year has gone by, and it's time to kick this project back into gear. Since seeing Brother Heinrich's unbelievably cool Land Raider, I've had Chaos on the brain. Now DarkVen and his 8th have come back, too, so I figured this is as good a time as any to ride their rotten Nostromian coattails to glory.

New year, new squad:

http://lexingtonnet.com/bncsicarii/squad2/threebodies.jpg

They're just at the beginning stage (poor, armless bastards), and they're really not the focus of my efforts right now anyhow. As said, I got back into the Chaos game after seeing Brother H's Land Raider. Of course, on the tabletop, Chaos Land Raiders operate in a space between sub-optimal and utter garbage. However, their close cousin the Spartan Assault Tank has no such issues, so I decided to work on one of those delicious Chaos Terminator delivery systems.

Problem is, tho, the Spartan's an expensive model, and I'm not really a huge fan anyway. Those Heresy-era tracks and sponsons don't blend with the rest of my vehicles, and replacing them seems difficult for a result I won't be very fond of. So, how about a new design?

http://lexingtonnet.com/bncsicarii/spartan/spartanblueprints.jpg

This thing will be quite a project, incorporating Subtle Discord's Land Raider extra armor pattern, Chapterhouse Studios' Iconoclast Land Raider conversion kit and both treads and possibly engines from Blood & Skulls Industries. Plus, if I'm feeling saucy, I may make operating mechanical struts for the doors, as seen on this awesome Storm Eagle assembly. Stay tuned for updates.

Edited by Lexington

Some cool conversions plus they are not blue.

Thanks! Tho I imagine you're not going to be too fond of my Rubricae... :wink:

I really fancy a cream egg now! Cool spartan assault idea and nice marines. Cant wait to see some paint :smile.:

Vehicles and paint...*shudder*. I finally broke down and got an airbrush this summer, so hopefully it won't be such an obstacle anymore.

I like what I see. Stoked to see that Landraider variant, really cool and practical.

Very much appreciate the comments, Brother H - as said, you've been a big inspiration of late. I'm actually planning on exploring the 'Golgotha' pattern further in a Storm Eagle and other large transport/assault boats.

The build of the Spartan is on hold for the next day or two while I await the arrival of some bits. Right after posting that sketch, I realized that the back end of an IG Valkyrie would make a perfect base for the assault ramp and enclosing armor. Thankfully, those are plentiful and cheap on eBay!

For now, here's the beginnings of the Terminator squad that'll be inhabiting the Spartan:

http://lexingtonnet.com/bncsicarii/terminators/postone/group.jpg

http://lexingtonnet.com/bncsicarii/terminators/postone/maul.jpg

http://lexingtonnet.com/bncsicarii/terminators/postone/axe.jpg

The plastic Terminators aren't bad, but I really liked the hunched, bulky feel of the Jes Goodwin originals. Their proportions gave off the look of an enormous predator, completely unconcerned with the prospect of personal safety - anything that's earned their enmity is prey, not foe. Their armor was also adorned with bare hosing and vents, giving it a more primitive look than their Imperial counterparts, and really played up the idea that these were space suits rather than 'warplate.' So, to recreate that feel, I've tried to widen their lower torsos with similar material, and tried to make them a little taller without thinning out their overall silhouette.

http://lexingtonnet.com/bncsicarii/terminators/postone/chainfist.jpg

Happiest with this bit - it's a finicky thing, but I've never liked the newer chainfist design, which just looks like an accessory for a power fist, rather than a unique weapon. I've merged the old metal bit with the new fist, which worked out better than initially estimated.

Thanks for viewing, all!

Edited by Lexington