So there's been a recent increase in reports about flaming and baiting in threads. I know this can be a heated place to debate, but there should still be no need for these reports to occur. Therefore, I feel we need to reiterate some ground rules.
Before posting or responding to a thread, I ask that you adhere to these rules:
1. No Personal Attacks - There are very hotly debated topics discussed here, and can lead to high tensions. Understand the limitations of the internet, and do not read too much into what is posted. Remember, without facial expression certain remarks can and will be taken the wrong way, no matter how innocent you think they are.
2. Answer the questions as listed with your opinion(s) and the rules that support your opinion. Rules from other Codices can be used to support your opinion, but understand that GW is not known for following precedence. Additionally only two Codices have been released under 6th to this point, so pointing to a rule in a 5th edition codex can be problematic.
3. Rather than attacking a poster you disagree with, post a simple question regarding their logic, with rules references for them to respond to. IF you cannot do so, or cannot respond to such a question, without baiting language or flaming the person directly, then simply post you disagree and leave it at that. Agreeing to disagree is NOT a show of weakness!
4. Don't be snarky etc - There's many words I could use to describe this behaviour, but you know what I mean. Make your point on an argument, back it up. But then don't follow up with "but you'd know it if you'd read the rules" or something to that effect. A good argument should not need this as well, and at best this is just baiting or flaming. It does not make you look cool, nonchalent, etc. in fact quite the opposite.
5. Try not to repeat arguments. If you, or someone else, has already stated your point, either refrain from posting, or post that you agree with (poster's screen name). This may be the hardest, as in a long debate it can take a while to sift through everything and most of you want to dive straight in, but please be aware that it is bad form to post an argument that has already been brought up and answered.
6. Understand that not everyone is going to agree. That is okay. This is a game, played with toy soldier, governed by Rules that are not always well written. Until it gets FAQ'd, people will disagree. Even after it gets FAQ'd, people will likely still disagree, that is okay, and everyone needs to understand that.
Come on guys, these are common sense. We're here on this board to debate problems and misconceptions in the rules of the game. This cannot happen fully if the above is being ignored. Posts not adhering to these rules will be removed or have the offending content edited, with further retribution likely.
Now most of you are like this anyway, which is great, so keep on doing what your doing. Some just forget themselves in the heat of the moment, to those people, if you know you're getting frustrated at a debate, take a break for a while, it'll still be there when you come back.
Hopefully with everyone following these rules, we can have a good, enjoyable experience in the OR.
Edited by DarkGuard, 20 May 2013 - 08:27 PM.