The gate aflame - A Black Legion Log *Update 7/3/15

Sith’ari

Wow thanks mate! I'm glad that my stuff helps inspire other people's hobby. Please post up a pic of your Heldrake when its done as I'd love to see it! cool.png

Work continues on Squad D'har, though I had no idea just how detailed the MkIII suits actually were until I started painting them. Soooo many rivets!

• 5 months later...

To quote an old classic - "RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!" biggrin.png

Its been a long time since I updated, but after a quick dalliance with some Daemons I'm back to my one, true love! So this is what I've been up to recently...

First up, some pics of my ETL entries:

Squad D'har

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/03b60335-083a-4312-a6eb-7624be7513e2_zpse99834d1.jpg

The Jackals of Mendestus

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/c0f3bb0c-0aa4-405a-a0e4-bd7686480645_zpsbd1d80f8.jpg

Then something a little more recent, another Lord vying for control of the Gate Aflame:

Jorg Valgaddon

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/ed151283-55a5-4b51-b798-37e4d9de9b12_zps15b53b10.jpg

Finally, as the second year of my new Black Legion warband comes to a close, its time for their annual group photo!

The Gate Aflame class of 2013

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/f60d0bd3-a596-4f4f-988a-99257122ae6c_zpsa5f6f865.jpg

So sorry for the lack of updates recently guys. I intend to update this a lot more frequently & with a squad of chosen on the table, it looks like it'll be another Chaosy year! :)

Cheers!

Cheers guys, I hope everyone had a great Christmas! cool.png

@Midnight Runner: Jorg's face uses the same skin recipe for the rest of my warband, just with a couple of extra highlights.

1) Basecoat with the old foundation Dheneb Stone. Not quite sure what its equivalent is in the new range, Rakarth flesh maybe?

2) Wash Leviathan purple (or watered down Druchii Violet.)

3) Layer with some heavily watered down Dheneb. It might need a couple of coats, but the aim is to keep the purple showing through the skin, whilst keeping it different from the shadows. Sounds trickier than it is, so just layer to taste! smile.png

4) Highlight with Palid Wych flesh and Voila! One seriously unhealthy, batch of skin!

@Dammeron: My regular gaming buddy & I always go a bit overboard when it comes to background for our armies. In fact, I have a stack of background notes on my table about these guys from when he & I fought in the old 13th Black Crusade campaign. I'm trying to condense them down into some sort of coherrent story before our next narrative campaign, so I'll post it up pretty soon! biggrin.png

So I may have set myself a crazy challenge for this year... I want to have at least one of everything in the codex painted, by this time next year. At current count, thats 19 units by Dec 30th 2014. Sounds simple enough... unsure.png

Cheers!

So I may have set myself a crazy challenge for this year... I want to have at least one of everything in the codex painted, by this time next year. At current count, thats 19 units by Dec 30th 2014. Sounds simple enough... unsure.png

Cheers!

Less than 2 units per month, if you can make and paint a new one every 2 weeks, then you're golden!

Even if you want the one of everything shot, it might still be a good idea.  Sure, you'll want 'one mauler and one forge' for your pic, but if you ever actually play with them, you'll want two maulers and no forges or vice versa.

@Xenith: Haha! I'm completely rubbish when it comes to sticking to deadlines! I fully expect to have to pull a few late nighters in this project, but it will be done! :D

@malisteen: Hmm. I've never thought about that before & its a really good idea! I'm hoping to eventually have enough fiends (mauler & forge) for a couple of Apoc formations, but until then, magnetising a couple is a really solid plan. Any thoughts on what size I'd need?

@FENRISÚLFER: They're the old, metal Black Legion pads mate. Link Hopefully that link works, if not you can find them in the CSM section under bits. They're nice pads, but they're too small for the raptor arms and won't fit without a bit of work. cool.png

I've finished painting the first two chosen & I think I've fallen in love with the dark vengeance set! I'm currently converting up the rest of the squad, so hopefully I should have them finished by next week.

'@FENRISÚLFER: They're the old, metal Black Legion pads mate. Link Hopefully that link works, if not you can find them in the CSM section under bits. They're nice pads, but they're too small for the raptor arms and won't fit without a bit of work. cool.png'

Umm.... I think those on Squad D'har are Forgeworld Sons of Horus pads?

• 3 weeks later...

Phew!

Finally finished the chosen squad today and I have to say, they were probably the trickiest things I've ever had to paint. There is just soooo much detail, that every time you thing you've finished, you notice yet another part you've missed! I'm definitely glad to have them finished.

The Kel Hadeem - Those who walk the ashes.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/sangapics13/eb647da7-4080-4a56-855b-6964d4141a89_zpsee7c5d21.jpg

Now I haven't quite decided what I fancy painting next, but what I do know is that I need a break from black! So I'm trying to decide between some Bezerkers, Noise marines or cultists. Help me decide B&C, your my only hope! :D

Cheers!

Haha! Well as it turns out Khorne made the choice for me.

My cultist sprues have gone into hiding and I've got to wait a couple of weeks for my Noise marine parts to arrive, so Bezerkers it is! :D

Archived