Rainbow Warriors - Casting! Casting!

Aqui

Looking quite good!  Love those old MLs...

I do too ^_^  Pity there were no old Plasma and Melta weapons back then :(  (or at least one that didn't look too out of place amongst the others)

I do have an old Chaos Conversion Beamer that has never seen paint that I'm working out how to integrate into a scratch built Tech Marine/MoTF (once properly reconsecrated of course ;) ).  Also in my bitz box are what seem to be some old school IG Las Cannons.  Not sure if I'd be able to use them as they're far too small compared to modern ones.  They were attached to the Marines who have since been paint stripped.  I suppose if I really needed Las Cannons I could always get an allied detachment with some rather than mix up old and new models (which is what I want to avoid).

I don't have the same nostalgia for older models that most folks do. In fact, a lot of the older models I played with I generally hated (rhinos in particular).

But what makes it real sad is seeing what you can do with the modern plastics next to the older models. Again, for those that enjoy that throwback, it's likely no biggy. it just bothers me.

I think your highlights need a bit of refinement, meaning slightly thinner lines, or a blend from mid to bright highlight in the width you have now. And the oldies have a whole lot of details which are just dark blue with the rest of the models- dunno if that's deliberate or if you just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's not bad work, but I wouldn't be a proper grumpy old Chaplain if I didn't browbeat you for any perceived shortcomings, and occasionally just the fun of it msn-wink.gif

I don't have the same nostalgia for older models that most folks do. In fact, a lot of the older models I played with I generally hated (rhinos in particular).

But what makes it real sad is seeing what you can do with the modern plastics next to the older models. Again, for those that enjoy that throwback, it's likely no biggy. it just bothers me.

I think your highlights need a bit of refinement, meaning slightly thinner lines, or a blend from mid to bright highlight in the width you have now. And the oldies have a whole lot of details which are just dark blue with the rest of the models- dunno if that's deliberate or if you just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's not bad work, but I wouldn't be a proper grumpy old Chaplain if I didn't browbeat you for any perceived shortcomings, and occasionally just the fun of it msn-wink.gif

I can see your point of view ^_^

The older models are...tired in many ways, but I suppose because I used to have nearly a hundred of them painted in the Steel Wings' original colours (dark blue and black with a yellow winged skull), I still have an affection for them. I'm like that with a lot of things. I still have my Spectrum 48k (although I haven't switched it on for years), a Commodore Amiga that I spent ages searching for a working power supply. Once I got it working, the first thing I loaded was Space Hulk, and unfortunately the rose tinted glasses failed this time around. The game hasn't stood up to the test of time. It's still playable, but anyway...

Your points on my highlighting are valid, but I'm still getting to grips with it. Way back when and more recently, I used dry brushing to get details to show on models, so I still have a way to go, but it's been fun getting there and to me that is significant. A lot of the details that I could have painted in have been left, as I want them to get to a reasonable (a relative term to be sure) table top standard. I can always go back to them further down the line, and in any case it just means (in theory ;) ) that the details on the newer models will stand out all the more. Well, that's the theory... :blink:

I'm quite a grumpy old Chaplain in real life, my online persona being far more chipper than I actually am, so I can relate to that ;) I dare say that if we ever met, we'd get on famously, grumbling about "When I was a lad..."

Who knows? :lol:

Just an idea for the Cold One mounted fellow, but how about giving him a storm bolter (if you have one knocking about)?

You could always build a makeshift one with a couple of modern bolt pistols.

I like the progress on the dev squad ;)

I'm quite a grumpy old Chaplain in real life, my online persona being far more chipper than I actually am, so I can relate to that msn-wink.gif I dare say that if we ever met, we'd get on famously, grumbling about "When I was a lad..."

You got more than 10 years head start on me in the old department, but I have grumpitude well beyond my years, and my Paddleum says I'm more Chaplainy msn-wink.gif

When I was a lad...

..we didn't use snippers and knives to get models off the sprue. We had thumbs and fingers for that (true story).

..codexes gave us options that models didn't.

..the name Rainbow Warriors didn't cause immediate snickering and snorting.

..Blood Red was another term for 'orange'

..green paint counted as proper basing

..pink headed aliens rode around in limos.

..deploying a psycher meant the rest of a match consisted of simply sitting back and watching with a satisfied smirk.

..a piece of paper with a Killa Kan drawn on it was perfectly acceptable.

..we didn't have forums full of threads to derail with sudden Foxworthy styled jokes.

teehee.gif

About the availability of old Plasmas...  I ended up using the FW plasmas they created to go with one of the early armor types (don't remember which at the moment).  They're more squarely shaped than the newer ones, making them reminiscent of the old plasmas... but they're cleaner and a bit more consistent with the new aesthetic.  I do really like the modern plasmas and las cannons over the old ones... but I'm pretty locked into the "re-living my early days of 40k" thing.  I've snagged my old las cannons mainly through trades or purchases from guys selling off their old stuff.  They are no where near as big as the new ones... so you might be able to make a convincing las cannon conversion out of an auto cannon.

I will eventually, be making a "modern" version of my chapter with state-of-the-art weapons and armor.  But I have some things to do yet with my Badab War era force before I go down that road.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, and I bring you the latest in what I'm currently working on.

I've taken the step of entering the ETL under the Ultramarines this year instead of the Liber as I did last year. My main reason is that I'm solely entering my Rainbow Warriors and they are official Successors. It won't stop me from keeping an eye out on my Brothers there and giving any encouragement I can happy.png

Right, I have a Tactical squad in Fairy power spray as we speak, but didn't take a picture. I'll take a picture at some point soon. However, I had the bitz I need to make my "Counts-as" Marneus Calgar arrive this morning, so I attached them together using blu-tack. The pictures aren't brilliant, but they should at least give an indication of how he'll look. I did buy a sword to attach to him, but it's more Gladius sized than a "proper" powersword, so I may have to find an alternative. I also have a fair bit of gsing to do on him as I want to model the bolters attached to Calgar to the model. I have a few spare bolters that I can sacrifice for that purpose.

Anyway, the pictures:

gallery_51296_6652_171386.jpg

gallery_51296_6652_124866.jpg

I'm using the same head as I used for my Brother-Captain Varagol model I did a while ago. His head dress will be a lot better than Varagol's, as I learned a fair bit from making it, plus I intend to take a lot more time on him. He hasn't got a name yet. I may use the name I gave the Chapter Master in my story "Bringing light into dark places" (which currently escapes me, so I doubt it's that good! blink.png ), or I might work out a better name and change the name in the story.

I might change one of the shoulder guards and add a Terminator symbol one instead. I'll post better pictures when I've decided what I'm going to do. I've also decided to try to put a stylised Chapter symbol on his cloak, instead of on a shoulder guard, as in theory the bigger surface area I have, the better I can paint. In theory laugh.png The positioning of the parts are rough at the moment, but I do want him to look as if he's charging the enemy.

Comments etc are, as usual, very welcome!

Taste the Rainbow! laugh.png

I think he looks cool as isthumbsup.gif

Thanks ^_^

I've been looking at the mini since I posted the pics. I've used the head for Varagol, Eh'Tor (who I'll have to find a decent sword or staff for and get around to painting <_< ) and now him. I'd prefer to have some variation, but the Space Wolf head makes it easier to sculpt a head dress from. Lazy I know :lol: I might have to see if there is another one I can use, or I might simply use the head I was going to use for my first Amber Dragon mini (A Terminator with Thunder Hammer and shield), which is bald. If I use the latter, I might simply put more "bling" on the armour than give him a head dress as well.

I'll have to sleep on it and make a decision. Speaking of which, I should try to get some sleep. It's not the first time I wish that Catalepsian nodes actually existed :( :lol:

Looking very good. Glad to see some RW in the ETL this year!

One thing is that he's pointing rather low down. How about raising his right hand so it's level with the ground?

Looking very good. Glad to see some RW in the ETL this year!

One thing is that he's pointing rather low down. How about raising his right hand so it's level with the ground?

I had positioned him the way you mentioned, but it wasn't until after I took the picture that I noticed that his hand had drooped somewhat laugh.png I'm not sure whether to leave his head where it is, or whether to have him facing the same way his hand is pointing. I have tried both positions, but I'm equally undecided laugh.png I think I'll leave that decision until I've glued some of the parts together to make the mini more stable. Despite a fair amount of blu-tack, even looking at him makes him fall apart! laugh.png

Looks good. I do have to say I giggled like a little girl reading "rainbow warriors" and "fairy power" together =D

laugh.png I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out! As long as I avoid painting swords and staffs in bright, sparkly colours, I should be okay! laugh.png

A little progress to report. My Tactical squad remains in the "Smelting pool", as I have a stonking headache and have no wish to make it worse by releasing the fumes from the stripper sad.png However, I've attached most of the counts-as model together. The torso is still separate from the legs, back pack and shoulder guards to make it easier to paint. I've used two sniper scopes to form the basis of the fist mounted bolters. I still have to construct the shell feeds for them, probably from green stuff. After that I have to decide on what head gear he'll get.

In any case, I'm quite happy with my progress. The shoulder guards will most likely be painted in some form of gold (which means a trip to the local GW tomorrow, as I only have one of the bronze type paints). I've also decided to go ahead and use the sword, as most of it's hidden behind the cloak, so it's size shouldn't be an issue.

Pictures:

gallery_51296_6652_282980.jpg

gallery_51296_6652_359234.jpg

I won't start on base coating etc until I have finished sculpting everything. Hopefully, that'll be Monday, or towards the end of next week. Assuming my headache goes, the Tactical squad will be scrubbed clean sometime tomorrow.

Looks good (though be sure to get rid of the mould line on the sword's pommel msn-wink.gif ).

I noticed after I posted wallbash.gif I'm getting better at remembering to remove them though. As far as I know, that's the only one left :lol:

I am ashamed! this is actually the first time I have looked at this! those beakies take me waaaaaaaaay back! you know I had originally planned on the rainbow warriors being in the four armies. maybe it's not to late. I would love them more than ultras, I think. I would not do the old school beakies though, that is all you!

I love the blue you have.  The Iron Snakes are honored to count you an ally!

Stay Classy Rainbow Warriors!

I am ashamed! this is actually the first time I have looked at this! those beakies take me waaaaaaaaay back! you know I had originally planned on the rainbow warriors being in the four armies. maybe it's not to late. I would love them more than ultras, I think. I would not do the old school beakies though, that is all you!

I love the blue you have. The Iron Snakes are honored to count you an ally!

Stay Classy Rainbow Warriors!

happy.png

They were always a favourite of mine even back when, but it was down to another poster asking about them that really got me started down this path happy.png Whilst I love the old beakies as well, the lack of detail and limited posing present a few problems, but I'm committed (or should that be - I should be committed? laugh.png ) I like your Iron Snakes a lot. This successor of Guilliman will stand by them! happy.png I like the Ultras, but I could never figure a way to put my own stamp on them without being too derivative sad.png so this is far better happy.png

I do like the darker blue as well. The test minis and the Standard bearer were done in a shade that was a lot lighter. They'll get stripped and redone eventually. I'm currently waiting for the primer to finish drying, otherwise I'd have at least have given him the base coat. I'm hoping it'll be dry when I go into the kitchen in a few minutes. Otherwise, it'll be after I finish work tomorrow when that gets done.

I've decided that I'll give him a head dress, but try something different. Not sure what that is yet though. I'm also in the middle of writing a little fluff piece in the same vein that a few others have done, to try to give an indication of the Chapter's character. Hopefully, I'll get that done in the next hour or so (I'm currently rewatching Dr Who and thus am distracted laugh.png )

WHO?

Who indeed? msn-wink.gif

Anyway, the little fluff piece is ready. The primer wasn't quite ready when I checked and it's a little too late now to make a start. For now, I hope this will suffice!

The traitors had not seen their enemy up close. In the murk, those they faced seemed ephemeral, ghostly even. The only evidence of their actual existence was a brief burst of light before the claws of death rushed to claim them one by one. Colour was rare on this planet. The sky was almost permanently dark, the smog choked the air far above, leaving the natives permanently grounded and fearful. Fearful of anything bright or shining. Everything was tinged with grey, even the skin of the peoples who lived here. People who turned their back on Him on Earth.

The traitor Guardsmen shivered in the rain, each warily eying the others as much as the surroundings, a futile way of ensuring that no one was suddenly snatched in the gloom. The group numbered over thirty when they set out to patrol the area. Now there were six. Reports noted a creature "borne of light", one that had the strength of ten or more men and was impervious to even the strongest weapons. That was a mere three days ago. Three days of terror. Sleepless, agonising, heart stopping terror.

Ahead was something that none of them had seen before. It was almost blinding, a mean feat considering the limited visibility, the mist smothering everything it enveloped. Whatever it was, it didn't seem to notice them.

The patrol leader, a stick thin man with hideous scars cut into his sallow cheeks motioned his subordinates to hunker down. Pulling out a magnoculars, he placed the device over his eyes. It showed large patches of darkness where there was no heat, but a large patch emanating from about shoulder height. It was a symbol. He tried to make sense of it, forcing the contraptions controls to make it clearer, an electronic whine made in an effort to do so. The traitor guardsman managed to get the corrupted machine spirit to comply and the image came into sharper focus. It was a jagged bolt, ending in a feathered tip. The image then became too bright to stare at as it emanated colours, so many that he had not seen before, not even able to comprehend. The after images were burned into his retinas, cycling through from Red through to Violet and beyond. Reeling, he let out a cry, involuntarily. The shape turned instantly, looking directly at them.

The group's morale broke, none wanting to find out exactly what it was that had killed the others, or join them. The leader had seen their bodies, left where their lives ended. There was no wasted effort in the kills, in fact as a killer himself, he acknowledged that who...what ever killed them was consummate, professional and in complete control. The killing strokes of an energised weapon were clean, surgical. The two men found crushed to death were dealt with in one blow. The five killed with projectile weapons had been shot in the head with a weapon so powerful that whatever had been fired had simply pulped their skulls.

He also knew that they were all killed by one being.

The shadow was moving closer, the smog cleared and out of it loomed a towering nightmare, armoured in a dark blue plate. A Marine, one who was not wearing a helmet. His features were gnarled, leathery and tanned, his skin implied that his own planet was one with clearer access to its sun. Curious tattoos across his left cheek and forehead were in black. His eyes were bright, showing an intelligence, cunning and total ease in his surroundings. Upon his crown, a head dress made up of feathers from alien creatures, held fast in metals of gold and brass. The Marine was studying him, his eyes burned with enmity. The pause seemed to go on forever. The others had gone, leaving him alone with this giant, this killing machine of flesh and armour.

He blinked. In the second it took, the Marine had nearly covered the distance between them, leaping the final stretch. Looking up at his doom, the traitor's mundane life flashed before him, his own bodily functions unable to stand fast. It was not the fate his commanding officer had promised him all that time ago.

As the hulking figure touched the ground his left arm fell forward in a sweeping arc, swatting the pathetic man with an energised gauntlet who had besmirched himself in fear. The crack of his spine breaking sounded out, a gunshot rang as the body squeezed the trigger on the pistol in its death throes. Slumping to the floor, the remains were ignored. Even as he jumped, the Marine could see nothing of importance upon its person.

A brief chirp indicated an incoming transmission.

"Report."

"As you surmised Chapter Master, the enemy has fallen back. They have done their best to seal their bastions doors. It will fall within the hour."

"Indeed." The Chapter Master paused. The others had fled in all directions, their vain hope was that some of them might escape. This was not so.

"Do you require assistance, Lord?"

The Chapter Master studied the landscape. There were a few trees that had somehow managed to survive in this dark world, and a trail that led north. Stepping into a jog, he activated the comm bead.

"Negative. Ensure that all reserves are redirected to the bastion. I have a task of my own.

"I will hunt the remnants of the PDF myself. Out."

The Chapter Master paused again. His augmented hearing had picked something up. He did not turn, knowing what was behind him was no threat at all.

"You stayed when the others fled. The first opponent on this world with a backbone." his voice was barely a whisper, but it carried well enough.

A pistol was hastily drawn, the safety disengaged as it was levelled at him.

"Who...what are you?!" the voice quavered, its owner quite maddened in terror.

"I am a servant of the Emperor. I am His will.

"And I bring light into dark places..."

Turning, the traitor saw the symbol burning on the Marines shoulder guard.

It was the last thing they saw.

Archived