Rainbow Warriors - Casting! Casting!

Aqui

Some nice progress mate smile.png

Thanks! happy.png

I haven't gotten around to painting any more on the mini yet, as I wanted to add the bolter feeds and sculpt a crown (or something similar) However, after writing the little fluff piece in the post further up, I thought of something I want to try:

gallery_51296_6652_214503.jpg

I want to give the Chapter badge the impression that it's glowing. The reason why it's green is because the Marines are from fourth Company happy.png

The test is a little crude, but it gives the general idea. It would have been better if I sculpted the symbol so that the effect is more three dimensional, but I doubt I can get it small enough and looking good enough, so I'll have to do my best in two dimensions happy.png

The paints used:

gallery_51296_6652_223709.jpg

I'll have a few more tries, before I actually attempt it. I'll probably use a pen to draw the symbol and then paint in the rest. A few changes to my work rota will prevent me from doing much else until a week Monday or there abouts, which is quite annoying, but I'll be getting more money for the Ultra Meet in July, so I can't complain too much laugh.png

Any tips for getting it right?

Well i went ahead and painted some up man talk about a job.Hope you don't mind if I post them in your thread brother.

Heres to you brother.thumbsup.gif

^_^

Very nice unit! ^_^

A little progress from a few days ago. Despite taking a lot of pictures, both my camera phone and my camera both seem to make the blue armour look darker than it actually is dry.png

Anyway:

gallery_51296_6652_530180.jpg

gallery_51296_6652_450538.jpg

The green of the cloak isn't truly represented in the picture either sad.png Oh well laugh.png

Hopefully, I'll have time to be able to work on him further on Wednesday. I still haven't stripped the tactical squad yet, but I'll get around to it soon too happy.png

well, if the RW's get picked(though it's not looking promising for them now) I fully plan on developing the whole Aztec/Maya/Inca fluff that seems to be popular now. I hope the votes go through for them.

Well, there are a lot of cool Chapters in your list mate, and I am realistic enough to know that "rule of cool" really does rule msn-wink.gif

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the 4/6 armies progress happy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Long time, no post. Not much to report, short that I have managed to add some undercoat to a demi squad, thus far:

gallery_51296_6652_246407.jpg

The Ironclad was going to be for my Steel Wings army, but I'm going to redirect him for this army. The same goes for the Storm Talon. The Steel Wings will get reinforcements soon enough msn-wink.gif They are both going to be part of my eventual second vow along with another unit (see below).

Here is a group shot of all of the Rainbow Warriors I have painted (excepting the Banner bearer, who is most likely going to get dunked and done again, as the shade of blue is far different to the others, plus I'm really unhappy with the banner itself):

gallery_51296_6652_269386.jpg

The shot shows from the front:

Brother Captain Varagol

Chapter Master (as yet unnamed), counts as Marneus Calgar.

Tactical squad

Devastator squad.

The Devs and this Tac squad aren't part of my vow as they were partially done before ETL started. The Tactical squad also needs to be finished off, although there is far less work to be done on them. Regarding the Chapter logo, I'm seriously considering getting some transfer paper and printing some. If that is the case, I'll hold off painting any on my units and put the transfers on all at once. Hopefully, the lack of any Chapter logo won't stop my vow from being considered complete when I get everything else done...

And here is a taste of things to come for the second vow (along with the afore mentioned Ironclad and Storm Talon), once I've finished the first one and had it verified by Captain Semper:

gallery_51296_6652_134080.jpg

I've never had an Assault squad before, so I'm quite looking forward to making these! happy.png

I'm waiting for the demi squad to dry (and for the fumes to dissipate blink.png ) so I can finish spraying their back halves and at least get the basecoat done today.

Looks goods Aquilanus, I'm happy to see you're already planning a second vow! biggrin.png

Thanks happy.png

Am I right in saying that if I was to declare the Chapter Master and Tactical squad "complete" without their Chapter symbols painted on (because of the inclination to try out printing decals), that that would be okay? Thought I'd better ask before I get them finished. My intention is to get my whole army finished, and them print and add the decals at the end (along with basing - I never used to base models, but if I do in future, I want to have them all consistent)

Yeap, don't worry about the Chapter symbols - do it the way you like it after the event. Basing is also optional, so again no probs. :)

If you do decide on the basing though it'd be awesome if you'd give it a go.

Yeap, don't worry about the Chapter symbols - do it the way you like it after the event. Basing is also optional, so again no probs. smile.png

If you do decide on the basing though it'd be awesome if you'd give it a go.

I was thinking of giving them a base in keeping with the Incan/Aztec style, but haven't found something I'm happy with yet. I'll find it eventually msn-wink.gif

Thanks for clarifying for me happy.png

You won't be so enthusiastic about those assault marines once  you start painting Jump Packs for the first time.  But if you're lucky the arms won't be as misaligned as they tend to be with me. :P

But a vow's a vow, so knuckle under and grind away :)

You won't be so enthusiastic about those assault marines once you start painting Jump Packs for the first time. But if you're lucky the arms won't be as misaligned as they tend to be with me. tongue.png

But a vow's a vow, so knuckle under and grind away smile.png

I have painted an Assault Marine, well a Death Company one a few years ago for a friends Birthday (I ordered the bitz specifically), who I keep pestering to join this site, is a massive Blood Angels fan, despite the fact that he looks like he'd be a Space Wolf fan (long blond hair, beard, love of beer... laugh.png ), so I do have a little experience happy.png

@Toxichobbit - yeah, I bought them at a GW (Torquay) when my family and I went to Devon for a holiday when I was just an aspirant. I remember getting the Njall Stormcaller t-shirt at the same time. The shirt is long gone unfortunately. I doubt I'd be able to get in it now anyway! laugh.png

Gitsplitta - thanks happy.png You've just reminded me of a conversation from a while ago. I'll have to get back on track regarding that if the offer is still open happy.png

Edit: Also found some very nice bases that I might use for the entire army from Dragon Forge! happy.png

@Toxichobbit - yeah, I bought them at a GW (Torquay) when my family and I went to Devon for a holiday when I was just an aspirant. I remember getting the Njall Stormcaller t-shirt at the same time. The shirt is long gone unfortunately. I doubt I'd be able to get in it now anyway! laugh.png

Well how about that. I had the Ragnar Blackmane shirt from the same era when I was a young en, though I picked it up from GW Manchester rather than Tourquay. Alas, like yours it's been gone a long time ... not that it'd fit me now anyway.

man im loving the RTB01s i saw there.. nothing like a blast from the past to raise an eyebrow or two...

ill keep an eye on this thread..

Thanks happy.png

If I get them done in time, I'll be taking them to the Ultrameet (although I might construct them anyway if they aren't quite ready) happy.png The list I'm working off is currently 1.5k, but I haven't added the Assault squad and Storm Talon to it (although I don't currently have Death from the skies), so it might hit nearer 1.9k. If I use my Steel Wings as Counts as models, I'll have around 2-2.5. I haven't had chance to get any more games in yet, so I'll be greener than an Gretchin laugh.png

My Ultimate aim for this army is to collect an entire Company. I'd have loved to use nothing but RTB01's, but I want the Assault element to be authentic (i.e. have proper CC weapons), so I'll have to use Mark VII as well. I could go the FW route, but I can't afford the awesome Mark VI models they have sad.png I've chosen to do Fourth Company, as they don't seem to get represented much (I haven't seen many examples at least), plus the darker green I'm using seems to work well enough with the dark blue.

As well as the Fourth Company, I'll have some Scouts as I know that they are seriously underestimated msn-wink.gif

Significant progress made today! I've finished the Tactical squad (baring a few touch ups). Just have to finish the Chapter Master and I can get on with Vow number two.

Pictures:

Combat Squad one (finished):

gallery_51296_6652_200851.jpg

Combat Squad two (in progress):

gallery_51296_6652_33925.jpg

Squad shot (finished):

gallery_51296_6652_7280.jpg

Army shot:

gallery_51296_6652_417982.jpg

The squad next to the Dreadnought is the Devastator squad that I'm chipping away at whilst painting my first vow. It's a pity that I had already started it before ETL was announced sad.png

Oh well, the other Devastator squad, Dreadnought, Storm Talon, Librarian, mounted Chaplain and Assault demi-squad will have to suffice for future vows! (More if I can stretch to it before August as I have the Ultrameet to save up for in July) devil.gif

And my first Vow is finished! The pictures taken have washed out some of the colour (again sad.png ), but I'm glad he's done. I made a bit of a boo boo on his face trying to give it some highlights, but it isn't that noticeable from a distance.

Pictures:

gallery_51296_6652_531555.jpg

gallery_51296_6652_330163.jpg

Just need to get confirmation from the good Captain before I put forward my second vow happy.png

EDIT: The topics 100th post ^_^

Archived