Black templars LR Crusader (Commission)

Samæl

Very nice work. I really like the scripting you did. Is that freehand?

Other areas that are well done:

1. The dirt and grime on the side. On the back, it's not clear if it has the same level of dirt on the exhaust housing, so if not, you might consider adding that if possible.

2. MM turret. Very cool. I really like how that turned out.

3. I like how your gold turned  out, but it seems a tad bright. Given how you've produced a fairly battle worn vehicle (which is how I think vehicles should look), the gold looks a little out of place. Perhaps it's just the lighting or maybe the gold needs a light wash to tone down the brightness a bit.

Bravo on the work!

Cheers,

Very nice work. I really like the scripting you did. Is that freehand?

Yeah, the scripting was free hand.

Other areas that are well done:

1. The dirt and grime on the side. On the back, it's not clear if it has the same level of dirt on the exhaust housing, so if not, you might consider adding that if possible.

There is weathering there, but you can't see it well in that photo.  I'd do another pic, but the land raider was picked up yesterday.

2. MM turret. Very cool. I really like how that turned out.

Thank you, I was tired of dealing with the OOP metal parts of the model and decided to do something different.

3. I like how your gold turned  out, but it seems a tad bright. Given how you've produced a fairly battle worn vehicle (which is how I think vehicles should look), the gold looks a little out of place. Perhaps it's just the lighting or maybe the gold needs a light wash to tone down the brightness a bit.

I did two sepia washes over the gold work, and it's not that bright when you have it infront of you.  Next time I might try doing a watered down black wash instead of the sepia when the background color is that dark.

Bravo on the work!

Thanks for the feed back.

Overall it's not a bad piece.  The tiny bits like the headlights are quite well done.  And I love the glowy MM barrels.  But some of it looks kind of half done by comparison.

The gold, as was pointed out, is a bit bright.  Bright is fine, seeing as gold doesn't really corrode.  But it could use some breaking up.  Too much of it in one spot looks garish (the right door).  A simple, carefully palced dash of red does wonders for this, but even some clever use of a silver instead of gold in trimmings would do pretty well.

The trim around the white panels really needs to be tidied up, especially in the back panels.  The white pannels themselves could use some work too: grime and dirt is an awesome way to lend character to this sort of paintjob, but there's a real lack of uniformity going on, like each panel was a test for a different weathering technique.  The sort of smeared-dirt effect you got on the front right one I think worked out best, and would try to duplicate the effect on the other three.  But for a bit of realism, try not to leet the brown in the corners to get too dark.  Stippling is a great technique for that kind of work.

Finally, what's that white stuff that got into the cracks along the uper left edge?

That's all I got. 

As a Mechanized Infantryman and the proud owner of this tank, I can honestly say that I have never once seen mud splatter uniformly across the hull of my Bradley. Maybe Land Raiders are different, but I doubt it. Trust me, as good a photographer as Samael is, his pics don't really do justice to the work. The dirt in the crevices of the steps on the troop door, the random blotches of dirt, the heat-discoloration of the metal on the MM barrel. It's about as accurate as I could ask for! For goodness sakes, he even shaded verdigris onto the brass Mechanicus cogs. All of this, done in a single week, in his spare time... I'm totally good with it, just as it is!

Gunslinger, as you crew a fighting vehicle, how much damage to the paint is acceptable, or at least is common on your vehicle? Do they get lots of nicks and scrapes that would be noticeable on a 40k scale vehicle or are they relatively chip free and only get mud etc on them?

Gunslinger, as you crew a fighting vehicle, how much damage to the paint is acceptable, or at least is common on your vehicle? Do they get lots of nicks and scrapes that would be noticeable on a 40k scale vehicle or are they relatively chip free and only get mud etc on them?

The paint on tracked military vehicles doesn't chip. It gets scratched on the underbelly, but the only time the paint gets chipped like you see in most weathering is in a major explosion. During field maneuvers you will get heavy mud and dirt on the tracks and back, but only on the hull above the track on the back of the vehicle.

Archived