Misconceptions About CSM

Nemesor

Re: Huron as a better empire builder than First Captain Ezekyle

What people forget is that the Sons of Horus retreated to the Eye broken, disgraced, and with every other Legion blaming them and their Primarch for the defeat at Terra.

Ten thousand years later, they are the most powerful (non daemon) force under the banner of the Dark Gods, and when Abby says jump, the other Legions/warbands are in the air and ask "How high?" on the way down.

Maybe you overestimate Abaddon. He is a rabble-rouser and leader to those for whom any banner will do, living off the glory of greater men's deeds. How many Daemon Primarchs have heeded his call?

We don't know :).

And a rabble-rouser, I'd say yes but not only. It's known for a fact that he also rule by fear and power (the Black Legion being ten times bigger than the Word Bearers, he's pretty intimidating). He's surfing on the CSM's hatred for the Imperium, indeed, but I don't think he's living off the glory of greater men's deed. I can see many CSMs being tired of the inactivity of their primarch/their ruling concil. Those could be appealed by Abaddon's ideals.

The glory of greater men's deeds?

What glory? The failure on the walls of the Emperor's palace? The shameful retreat into the Eye of Terror? Where was the glory in that? Was there in these "great men" allowing the bonds that bound the True Legions togather to erode away? Or in the "great deeds" of being so caught up in the Great Game of the Hidden Gods that they failed to notice their sons were fragmenting and fracturing, expending more energy in battling one another within the Eye of Terror than in tearing down the Anathema's kingdom of slaves? Are those the deeds of these "great men" you speak of?

One voice has remained true to the ideals of the Great Uprising...a dream of Legion warships in the skies over Terra, of the last vestiges of life being torn from the False Emperor's decaying frame by our bolters and chainblades. Glory to the Despoiler! Praise unto the New Warmaster!

LET THE GALAXY BURN!

Edited by Wade Garrett

The shameful retreat into the Eye of Terror?

at least 2 legions didnt retreat and 1 legion didnt go to the eye .

Was there in these "great men" allowing the bonds that bound the True Legions togather to erode away?

there werent many bonds between whole legions and those that had those , werent happy about it post heresy.

in general even pre heresy and still loyalist the legions didnt like each other , some didnt even respect other legions on a proffesional level [the most extrem case being all legions vs alfa legion]

Well....

I mean they didn't join in the immediate retreat. The Night Lords went off on their tantrum across the stars and were finally cornered/allowed their primarch to be killed at Tsagualsa. After that they fragmented, some seemed to stay out of the EoT for extended periods of time like Talos, others seemed to make it their home with the other Traitor Legions.

The Alpha Legion... nobody is really sure what they were up to, least of all themselves. Some probably did go there, if only to watch over the other traitors. They kept up the Long War on their own terms, sure, but you can't really say where they based themselves, if they did at all. All you can really point to is their victories when they pop up.

Re: Huron as a better empire builder than First Captain Ezekyle

What people forget is that the Sons of Horus retreated to the Eye broken, disgraced, and with every other Legion blaming them and their Primarch for the defeat at Terra.

Ten thousand years later, they are the most powerful (non daemon) force under the banner of the Dark Gods, and when Abby says jump, the other Legions/warbands are in the air and ask "How high?" on the way down.

But that's logical. This is the Chaos community. Begone with your logic! In the names of the Dark Prince, the Grandfather, the Trickster and the Warlord, I exorcize thee, thy foul agent of Logic!

Abaddon is the very definition of the Long War. Others flock to the banner of the Black Legion because Abaddon has clout. The dude has ALL of the marks of the Ruinous Powers! Who else has done that? Nobody. He's been to see every Daemon Primarch and they have recognised him as the new Warmaster. He gets things done, and he crushes anyone who crosses him. He is Space Satan, and it's going to be him who is triumphant on Terra at the End of All Things. Everyone else will just be following in his wake. Abaddon is still pissed off about the Horus Heresy. He's going to finish it. The Siege of Terra was 10,000 years ago for him and the dude is still this mad about it. That's a worthy grudge. Meanwhile, Abaddon has already impressed all four of the Ruinous Powers and earned apotheosis several times over (using the deeds of other ascended Chaos Lords as a standard), but being a daemon prince would slow him down. That is how pissed off this dude is, he's got no time for godhood because he's already amped beyond belief.

Which legion didn't make it back to the EoT?

and the WB went mostly to the storm .

IW didnt fall back till the whole guantlet thing. and loyalist still had to destroy every garnison on every planet they ever held and there were a lot of those .

Ten thousand years later, they are the most powerful (non daemon) force

under the banner of the Dark Gods, and when Abby says jump, the other

Legions/warbands are in the air and ask "How high?" on the way down.

the legion wars took a lot longer then the time huron needed to  collect his , second only to BL force. less time , smaller force to begin with , less resources to start with and he didnt have the whole legion thing BL had [even while losing] , his story was "I just got rolled by imperials ".

IW didnt fall back till the whole guantlet thing. and loyalist still had to destroy every garnison on every planet they ever held and there were a lot of those .

the legion wars took a lot longer then the time huron needed to collect his , second only to BL force. less time , smaller force to begin with , less resources to start with and he didnt have the whole legion thing BL had [even while losing] , his story was "I just got rolled by imperials ".

the legion wars took a lot longer then the time huron needed to collect his , second only to BL force. less time , smaller force to begin with , less resources to start with and he didnt have the whole legion thing BL had [even while losing] , his story was "I just got rolled by imperials ".

?

Not to be picky, but this is still sort of up in the air. Older fluff had Kor Phaeron leading the assault on Calth, and later him and his remaining forces retreating to the Maelstrom, whilst Lorgar lead the rest of the WB against Terra. However, the book Betrayer now place both Lorgar and Angron in Ultramar territory at the same time as the battle of Calth. So either they somehow manage to get back to Terra in time whilst the Ultras are trapped in the Warpstorm Lorgar and his boys created, or the story will be retconned and Lorgar and Angron never make it back.

But Kor was the one who established a base in the Maelstrom, and he did not lead the majority of the WB to Calth, whilst Lorgar retreated to the Eye, establishing their new homeworld on Sicarus, where he remain to this day.

But yeah, a part of the WB legion never made to the Eye, instead finding refuge in the Maelstrom. Unless they recton everything, but I don't think they will remove Angron from the siege of Terra, meaning both him and Lorgar have to find a way to make to Terra in time, whilst the UM need to be stuck in Ultramar, whilst Kor Pharon need to somehow have been chased to the Maelstrom by UM forces who at the same time were stuck in the warpstorm. Maybe the UM forces who followed Kor got out in time, but were later destroyed or chased away from the Maelstrom? This could contradict the UM account that says they destroyed Kor's battlebarge (which was not corroborated, and the Red Corsairs also claim to have that barge in their possession. Or they destroyed his ship, but were still defeated by the rest of the WB fleet?).

I went a little off-topic, but I am definitely curious as to how A D-B and the Black Library will tackle this possible contradiction of the UM being stuck, whilst still chasing the WB to the Maelstrom, and Lorgar + Angron being at Ultramar whilst at the same time getting back to Terrain time.

that "part" of the WB included lorgar am having problems with imagining how a primarch of a non broken up legion would end up with a minor/small force and the WB force in the eye being independent and large enough to be seen as the main WB force post heresy. Also if they ended up in the eye , then they must have had taken part in the legion wars and we have no fluff for that.

or the story will be retconned and Lorgar and Angron never make it back.

but loragar was on terra durning the siege . but then again am not going to comment the HH stuff , as it mostly retcons the stuff I liked in chaos .

that "part" of the WB included lorgar am having problems with imagining how a primarch of a non broken up legion would end up with a minor/small force and the WB force in the eye being independent and large enough to be seen as the main WB force post heresy. Also if they ended up in the eye , then they must have had taken part in the legion wars and we have no fluff for that.

or the story will be retconned and Lorgar and Angron never make it back.

but loragar was on terra durning the siege . but then again am not going to comment the HH stuff , as it mostly retcons the stuff I liked in chaos .

I'm pretty sure the old 3.5 WB background had Lorgar at the seige of Terra, and him retreating to the Eye with his forces, establishing their new homeworld on Sicarus. Sicarus is in the Eye, and is the home of both Lorgar and the Dark Council.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sicarus#.USy8FjBQGAU (yeye, Lexicanum I know. It's just info from the Dark X series and the IA aricle they got during 3ed.)

"In the end, Lord Kor Phaeron was defeated when reinforcements from Macragge drove the Word Bearers from the surface of Calth. Kor Phaeron retreated all the way to the Maelstrom, a turbulent region of the galaxy where the Immaterium of Chaos seeps through into the material realm of the universe.

Lorgar himself lead the rest of his Legion against Terra, where he helped smash down the realm of the master he had once served with the fanaticism of a zealot. In the end, Horus was defeated, and the legions of Chaos were forced to flee. The Word Bearers were also forced to retreat to the Eye of Terror, and there they have remained, returning to the Imperium to raid, pillage, and destroy."

But this is contradicted by the new HH book Betrayer, so I dunno. 

@Totgeboren: Actually having access to the IA articles, I can confirm that is correct, the only Word Bearers who went to the Maelstrom were the survivors of Calth that were able to follow Kor Phaeron.

And Betrayer doesn't exactly contradict the IA article. Calth happens early in the Heresy. Let's say that originally it happened the same time as Istvaan V. The Heresy would never have lasted seven years if Lorgar went straight to Terra.

Let's say that Calth still happened two years after the Heresy. If Lorgar still headed straight to Terra, the Word Bearers would have been knocked out of the fight so much faster and immediately remove one of the Larger Traitor Legions from the board.

But he did head to Terra.

Also, Betrayer presents the answer to the problem of "getting out of Ultramar."

Betrayer, Page 400, Lorgar speaking.

"Ultramar is blighted by the Ruinstorm, cut off from the Imperium. But I know a way back through the fire. We will gather our fleets spread across the Five Hundred Worlds, then we shall rejoin Horus."

So neither the Word Bearers that follow Lorgar or the World Eaters will be trapped in Ultramar. And as pointed out above, they are still headed to Terra. Think of it as "the scenic route."

EDIT: Also, the IA article says he was smashing his father's realm. Can't smash a realm if you only attack one place. ;)

Edited by Kol_Saresk

Yeah, you are right Kol_Saresk. So far so good. Those who followed Kor Phaeron might have been to few in numbers to have an effect of the war, and with Guilliman and the majority of his forces going after Lorgar and Angron in the Ultramar region, he has plenty of opportunity to get caught in the warpstorm. :)

I just sort of expect the old fluff to be retconned for no good reason. The HH series so far has made quite a few such alterations of the story, with events not lining up anymore (for no good reason either imo).

Edited by totgeboren

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, there have been some changes. The RG clones being changed to mutants and some other things. Some things, could be found to actually have had plausibility in the older fluff and is only being brought about now. The Five Hundred Worlds for instance. When referring to Ultramar in the Heresy setting, it mentions Ultramar being Macragge and all of its nearby systems. But when it goes to the 40k setting, all of a sudden a number is slammed on it and the planets are listed. That and things like the path of Hive Fleet Behemoth going from Prandium(a world of Ultramar) to Sybari(not a world of Ultramar) to Macragge. I could be wrong but last I heard, Behemoth moved in a straight line. So if Sybari is nearer to Macragge then Prandium, then not all nearby systems of Macragge are a part o the 40k Ultramar. Meaning that more than just the 8 systems made up Ultramar in the Heresy. A basis that just happened to have been acted upon by BL.

And as I said, some will be retcons, some will simply be expansions based on either plot holes or indistinct subtexts within the background and some will stay true.

@AD-B

I took pleasure reading your post, don't get me wrong (and I find it pretty close to what I had in mind regarding the warbands and the theatrical scenery of the Eye of Terror), yet, a minor sentence, that may be a reaction to my previous posts, regarding Black Legion's warbands' relation with Abaddon made me rise an eyebrow.

Maybe you sense their leader is a weakling getting above his station,

and has nothing to do with Abaddon, as many Black Legion warband leaders

surely don't.

In my mind, Abaddon is the ultimare ruler of the Black Legion, which serves as his sword and his shield.

Being its sole (main?) founder, the very incarnation of the concept of Long War, how could he be another Black Legion warlord among other ?

Back to my mind, when a marine takes the black I imagined that it goes with some kind of twisted knightly ceremony with the painting of its own armour, taking vows and swearing allegiance to the Warmaster of the Black Legion : Abaddon the Despoiler of worlds. Because, when you think about it, Abaddon is the face of the Black Legion, when a marine joins it, he joins Abaddon's Legion. How could it be otherwise ?

Of course, there are tons of Lords of the Black Legions, and some of them are the chosen of Abaddon. And with all those guys, there are countless warbands of the Black Legion, but they all follow (keep in mind that you're in mine) Abaddon's (along with his ruling concil) orders when he orders them around (from time to time). A Lord that would refuse to follow those orders would break the oath they took, and would become "rogue" for the Black Legion, leaving it effectively. If they stay dressed in black, would that still mean they're part of the Black Legion ? I don't think so, because the very point of the Black Legion is not a painting scheme, it's the oath, the hatred for the Imperium, the Long War, the burning desire to end the Heresy like it should have ended (along with some internal currents like bearing the legacy of Horus, mourning his loss, the desire for a professional and serious structure with meaningful goals, the desire for protection and the material means to fight...). The Black Legion is not (only) the Sons of Horus, it's the only post-Heresy Legion, with a clear, active and strong leader.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's dreamland. Rivalries, grudges, jealousy and such are of course not something the Black Legion is free from. And infighting happens. But I'd say Abaddon wishes the strong to survive and to rule above the weak.

Now, get out of my mind, and answer me, am I dead wrong ? What's your take on that perticular subject ?

Edited by Vesper