Steel Wings versus Death Wing 1k game

Aqui

Well, I've just got back from my first 6th Edition game and it's also the first proper game in over twenty years. It's also my DIY Chapter's baptism of fire.

I haven't written a battle report before, so if I've left anything out I apologise in advance sweat.gif I did try to write down as much as I could without stopping the battle too much.

I played my local GW's store manager, and he was good at pointing out the rules and was patient with me (as I'm quite forgetful when learning something new to start with laugh.png ), although I did have a little trouble keeping up at times as I'm rather hard of hearing. I won't tell you who won until the end.

So, my set up is as follows:

med_gallery_51296_5005_560845.jpg

HQ:

Iron Lord Hubros (Captain)

Digital weapons

Command squad:

Company Champion

2 power fists

1 Lightning Claw

1 Plasma pistol

2 combi weapons (Melta/Bolter and Plasma bolter)

2 Tactical 5 man squads

2 sergeants with plasma pistol

2 Dreadnoughts:

Nishrai Venerable Dreadnought

Assault Cannon (and storm bolter)

Iron Clad Dreadnought Bayadom

standard load out with Assault Launchers

Landspeeder Typhoon

1000 pts exactly

Death Wing:

Belial

Terminator squad 1

Chainfist

Cyclone

Terminator squad 2

Cyclone

All Thunder hammers

5 Raven Wing bikes

1 with Plasma gun

1 with Melta gun

Terminator Librarian Level 2

Turn 1

Steel Wings deploy first:

med_gallery_51296_5005_253959.jpg

Raven Wing Scout

med_gallery_51296_5005_255120.jpg

(The picture shows starting position, they move towards the bottom of the picture)

Death Wing, Beliel and Librarian in reserve.

Nishrai moves forward to attack Raven Wing and kills three bikes outright, with assault cannon.

med_gallery_51296_5005_332821.jpg

LS:T is wrecked by Death Wing squad 2 with Belial and Librarian after firing Typhoon. Hits Terminator squad 1 once, scatters 2 inches but fails roll to wound.

Terminator squad 1:

med_gallery_51296_5005_70441.jpg

Terminator squad 2:

med_gallery_51296_5005_506748.jpg

Death Wing - First Blood

Turn two:

Tactical squad seize objective.

med_gallery_51296_5005_867612.jpg

Command squad with Power fist kills one Terminator, before being killed by the others. Command Squad down to Apothecary, Marine with Melta combi weapon and Hubros. Tactical squad near objective are reduced to three including sergeant (Look out, Sir!) by Librarian using Psychic Shriek.

Nishrai kills one more bike who falls back. Nishrai doesn't pursue, and instead attacks Death Wing squad 2 killing the Sergeant.

Raven Wing bike rallied and attacks Marines who were reduced to two by Death Wing squad 2. The squad charges and one Marine left, falls back very near table edge.

Turn three:

Bayadom kills Chainfist Terminator.

Hubros challenges Belial. Hits but fails to wound. Belial hits twice with Fleshbane. Hubros down to one wound.

Command squad Marine with Powerfist kills one Terminator, but dies as well. Apothecary dies.

Remaining Tactical Marine charges bike again. Bike fires on Overwatch with Plasma gun. Overheat and dies!

Nishrai finishes remaining Terminators in squad 1.

med_gallery_51296_5005_461717.jpg

med_gallery_51296_5005_704618.jpg

med_gallery_51296_5005_478320.jpg

Belial kills Hubros. Kill the War Lord.

Bayadom kills the Librarian Terminator. Remaining Tactical squad members near him die.

Turn four:

Bayadom kills other Terminators. Belial destroys Bayadom, but blast kills him.

med_gallery_51296_5005_478320.jpg

No remaining Dark Angels models remain - Nishrai and one Tactical Marine Steel Wing are left.

Steel Wings win.

All in all, I enjoyed the experience very much. Whilst I'm obviously very happy I won, I'd have been quite satisfied by a close one, which it would have been if Bayadom hadn't been such a monster. Even in death he served, is a quote that really rang true with him. When I get around to painting him, I really am going to give him the best paint job I can to reflect what he did today happy.png

Lessons learned:

I knew that taking two bare bones Tactical squads was unwise, but even so, they provided enough targets for the Death Wing to concentrate on whilst Bayadom mashed them up. Not the way they should be used I know, but I will be reading up on how to get more out of them once I've got the models to make them both ten man squads.

The Dreadnoughts. In my fluff, Nishrai and Bayadom are with another Dreadnought who I'm planning on getting (Zahilim, a Rifleman Dreadnought) are collectively know as the Triumvirate, or "Three kings" in the Native language of Petracco, the Steel Wings' homeworld. Well, they definitely were today happy.png

Whilst I love the LS:Typhoon, I definitely deployed it wrong, and today won't discourage me from using it again. I just need to learn how to use them effectively. The Command squad was so-so. The Marine with the Melta Combi weapon and Power Fist killing the Terminator made me whoop with joy as I thought he was going to get creamed. He was killed by the same terminator, but considering the difference in power, he deserves an accolade as well happy.png

It'll be a while before I get another game with them, as I want to get a few more models for them before I do. I also want to get a functioning force for my Rainbow Warriors and play a game with them, so that's what I'm focusing on next.

In any case, the Sons of Manus did him proud today! happy.png

Amazing report dude, I recognized the store from your first picture, as it is my local store too :)

I'm playing my first game (pretty much ever!) with my DW on Sunday, if you fancy a game in the next few weeks let me know!

Amazing report dude, I recognized the store from your first picture, as it is my local store too smile.png

I'm playing my first game (pretty much ever!) with my DW on Sunday, if you fancy a game in the next few weeks let me know!

Good luck for Sunday ^_^ The Death Wing are certainly a powerful force, and I'm still rather awed that I won :blink: so Codex: Space Marines is not as useless as some people make it out to be :lol:

I'm not sure when my next game will be, as I'm back to work after 6 weeks off on sick and I'm not sure when my next week end off is.

When I find out, I'll let you know ^_^

Hey there, I had been following your army list thread previously, but honestly couldn't have offered any real advice to you prior, so seeing how they performed was very interesting.

Sounds like it was a fun battle, particularly the last Ravenwing overheating and Belial dying to your dreadnought's last gasp :p  It's those little things that make 40k exciting!

There was definately more you could do tactically, but I can tell you are already aware of that, and so I'll just say well done and I hope you enjoy your future games as much :p

P.S:  Is that the Coventry store? looks pretty spacious from the pics, I might have to swing by when I move to south Leicestershire next month...

Hey there, I had been following your army list thread previously, but honestly couldn't have offered any real advice to you prior, so seeing how they performed was very interesting.

Sounds like it was a fun battle, particularly the last Ravenwing overheating and Belial dying to your dreadnought's last gasp tongue.png It's those little things that make 40k exciting!

There was definately more you could do tactically, but I can tell you are already aware of that, and so I'll just say well done and I hope you enjoy your future games as much tongue.png

P.S: Is that the Coventry store? looks pretty spacious from the pics, I might have to swing by when I move to south Leicestershire next month...

Thanks for the reply ^_^

It was a lot of fun, and one of the reasons I came back to 40k (asides from getting into DOW/DOW Soul Storm). I had come back just as the rumours of 6th Edition started, so it's not been until now that I've had the points available and the spare time to get a game :lol:

I could have done a lot more tactically, but that's part of the learning curve ^_^ The Overheat and Dreadnought exploding were two totally unexpected events in the game and when Belial fell, I couldn't believe it :blink:

It was the Coventry store. I've only been to two GW's since I've been back in the Hobby, this one and GW Brum (Birmingham for non UK members :lol: ). Both stores are okay sized, not especially large compared to others I've heard about. The original GW Brum store in the '80's and early '90's before it moved to Corporation street was far larger (unless I was just that much smaller :lol: ). GW Coventry was packed the day Dark Vengeance was released and there wasn't much room to do any of the events that they had on offer. I turned up around 2pm on the day of release and it took a while to be able to get in (I thought that I'd missed my chance at getting the Limited Edition one, but I was lucky). South Leicestershire is a bit of a way from here. I take it there aren't many GW's where you're headed?

Well Coventry is around a 45 minute drive from where I'll be so fairly close :p  I like to play in gaming clubs rather then the stores themselves, but I am thinking when I move to the new area, that I will do a tour of the surrounding clubs and venues.  Not only to find which I like best, but also to do reviews on each and post them on my blog :p

The lincoln store (where I currently live) is kinda pokey and dark.  Not really the shop's fault but compared to GW's in other cities it feels a bit cramped even when its empty :p

Well Coventry is around a 45 minute drive from where I'll be so fairly close tongue.png I like to play in gaming clubs rather then the stores themselves, but I am thinking when I move to the new area, that I will do a tour of the surrounding clubs and venues. Not only to find which I like best, but also to do reviews on each and post them on my blog tongue.png

The lincoln store (where I currently live) is kinda pokey and dark. Not really the shop's fault but compared to GW's in other cities it feels a bit cramped even when its empty tongue.png

There are a few clubs in the area (not just in Coventry), but I haven't seen any of them yet, as my car is off the road at the moment <_<

I'll send you a pm for a link to them if you want?

• 3 weeks later...

Emperor's Immortals, Kierdale, thank you for posting ^_^

Whilst I have some more units to add to my Steel Wings, I am concentrating on my Rainbow Warriors for now, at least until I've got everything I have painted.  I'll see what the points cost comes to, and see what else I need to make them effective.  I'm quite excited to see how they do in the future ^_^

Archived