Making Noise Marines Scream

Bonzi

Are allied detachments allowed for other Chaos factions? I assume I could take a Black Legion Cyclopea cabal if I wanted, for example, but not an allied. I get the philosophy of the formations (as in, I assume it's to allow post-hoc tweaks to the rules, and boost model sales, and maybe enforce a degree of fluff) but their size, pointwise can be really frustrating.

In fact, the cabal is one of very competitive formations that we CSM have IMO.

I often use them especially for semi-competitive games to enhance my bike lord further. They confer very good psychic buffs as well as a delicious hatred (everything), while the cabal themselves got the endless hatred (imperium).

On the other hand, it's just a few times for me to use the cabal as my meta agreed that 3 x lv3 psykers took too much time for a psychic phase and thus made a game boring. We usually have a casual game with neither flyers nor psykers. Just our style tho msn-wink.gif

Yeah other CSM formations are perfectly viable. An 'Allied Detachment' as in the one from the BRB however is not if your primary detachment is already from CSM. We unfortunately don't have a fancy special rule allowing different Chaos Legion Allied Detachments together with another Chaos Legion primary detachment like the loyalist Marines (or at least I haven't found it yet).

However what you can do is take any CSM detachment and call it 'Legion Emperor's Children/World Eater/Deathguard/Iron Warrior/whatever' as long as it fullfills the Legions requirements (like no Marks etc) and another CSM detachment in your list can belong to another Legion.

-snip- This should mean the enemy has to either shoot through the cultists, giving me a +2 cover save, and if I happen to camp in cover, that could accumulate nicely, -snip-

That isn't how cover works. Shooting through a unit gives the target 5+ cover, not a +2 to cover. If they already have a 5+ cover save or better is is meaningless.

-snip- This should mean the enemy has to either shoot through the cultists, giving me a +2 cover save, and if I happen to camp in cover, that could accumulate nicely, -snip-

That isn't how cover works. Shooting through a unit gives the target 5+ cover, not a +2 to cover. If they already have a 5+ cover save or better is is meaningless.

Ah I wondered in which thread I read that. Meant to correct it but couldn't find it after returning home anymore lol

Ah I wondered in which thread I read that. Meant to correct it but couldn't find it after returning home anymore lol

Yep, my apologies - I've been using Shrouding on top of jink quite a lot, and fell into the trap of thinking of cover saves as accumulative, when that's just Shrouding specifically. A shame though. Well, at least shooting through cultists won't give *them* a cover save in itself, although the target will likely have something better anyway. As an aside - who would be especially weak against EC? We seem to handle hordes better than other legions, what with triple-fire guns, and artifacts and spells for horde clearance and boosted on successful leadership rolls here and there (and yet we have no means of lowering leadership, aside from the Fear grin thing, or using certain formations like heldrake terrorpack or raptor talon's, but it feels clunky, or using telepathy, but there's only so many disciplines on can fit in).

I've not fought xenos much, are there any who rely a lot on cover saves, and have lower leadership?

Shrouded and Stealth. msn-wink.gif

It's in the wording. Some are simple modifiers and others give you a flat cover save.

And yes it seems EC are all about the pleasure of slaughtering the weak and listening to their screams. Hiding in Cover means nothing in front of us (at least if we play Noise Marines). Apart from the Noise Marines however we are like any other CSM just a bit more durable. Striking faster than other Marines gives us a slight advantage when non-melee-dedicated units clash against eachother and with an added AP3 Powerweapon it's even better but we are no close combat monsters like World Eater.

Overall I think it's safe to say that EC are good at anti-GEQ and, to some degree, anti-MEQ (I5 AP3 Powerweapons are fun) and are fairly tanky while doing that thanks to the Icon. Anti-TEQ, anti-vehicle and psychic shenanigans aren't stronger or weaker than non-legion CSM.

Finally got my game in against the Wolves. His list was (approximately)

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf with twin Lightning Claws and the 2+ armour relic with the -5 init. Penalty on opponents on a challenge

4 Thunderwolves - 3x Claw and Shield, 1x Hammer and Shield

10 Grey Hunters in a Rhino w/ Melta and Flamer

10 Grey Hunters in a Rhino w/ 2 Meltas

10 Grey Hunters in a Rhino w/ 2 Meltas

10 Grey Hunters in a Pod w/ 2 Flamers

Venerable Shield Dreadnought in a Pod

Murderfang in a Pod

Stormfang Gunship

My list was what I had posted before but in the spolier tags for completeness:

Rapture Batallion

Kakophoni

3x 5 Noise Marines - Blastmaster, Sonic Blasters and Champ with Siren

2x 5 Noise Marines - Sonic Blasters and Champ with Siren

1x 7 Noise Marines - CCWs, Icon of Excess and Champ with Siren and Melta Bombs in a Rhino

Lucius The Eternal

1x Chaos Spawn - MoS

Grand Cavalcade

1x Herald on Seeker Chariot

1x Seeker Chariot

1x Seeker Chariot

1x Seeker Chariot

1x Seeker Chariot

2x 5 Seekers

Renegade Forsworn Knight Detachment

1x Renegade Knight - Avenger Gatling Cannon and Reaper Chainsword

For mission we rolled Big Guns Never Tire with 3 Objectives and 'standard' deployment. The mission wasn't ideal for me as there were 4VPs up for grabs in my chariots alone and against the Wolves I often use them as road blocks to keep the Thunderwolves moving as slow as possible. I've put the 'report' in the spoiler tags as it ended up quite lengthy in the end

My won the roll for first turn. He deployed one of the double melta rhinos on my left flank. His Thunderwolves and the other double melta rhino towards the middle and the other rhino on my right flank with a fair bit of cover for them all.

Before I explain my deployment to set the scene a little: The objectives were 1 on the first floor of a ruin just in front of where his Thunderwolves started. One on my right flank in a crater in no man's land and one in the centre of my deploymemt zone amongst some ruins. His warlord trait was rerolling Morale and Pinning checks within range of his Wolf Lord. Lucius The Eternal first rolled Fear and then got Eternal Warrior on the reroll. For Combat Drugs I got +1 Strength. Not the greatest for my Noise Marines but I figured it would mean I might get some wounds through on the Thunderwolves if I was charged.

I deployed my 3 Blastmaster squads on the top floors of of ruins, one towards each flank and one in the middle holding the objective there. The two Sonic Blaster squads went on the ground floor of the two flank ruins ready to move out of cover to line up decent firing lines after my first turn. The rhino deployed just left of centre with Lucius in it. My Knight on my right flank (my Spawn hiding behind it). Two chariots on the left flank and three towards the middle and my two seeker squads conga lined between my left flank and the centre so his drop pods would have to go in front of my lines and not get around the cover I was using. I failed to sieze the initiative so he went first selecting his two dreadnought carrying drop pods to arrive first.

The two drop pods came down on my left flank dropping in front of a seeker squad and two chariots with my Noise Marines in the ruins now in dangerously close proximity to Murderfang. His Thunderwolves and the left and central rhinos pushed up hugging cover the one on the right stayed put for now knowing it only needed to move at crusing speed one turn to reach the rightmost objective in no man's land. It looked from his first like he was pushing everything towards my left flank to try and roll it. All of his shooting that had range was aimed at the Blastmaster squad on that flank downing the 3 Sonic Blaster marines but the Champion and Blastmaster guy held on.

My turn came and I knew I wasn't going to let him roll that flank in the way he wanted. Both chariots moved upfield past his dreadnoughts and the seekers after their run moves relocated to the centre of the board. The rhino also moved towards the centre to keep out of reach of the newly arrived dreadnoughts. My Knight turned in towards the centre whilst my spawn moved up with it to be in easy reach of the right hand objective. The Sonic Blaster squad on the left worked their way out of thw ruins into Murderfang's rear armour arc.

I figured I needed to get first blood to reduce the pain the Thunderwolves and Dreadnoughts would cause so my three Blastmasters all shot at the central rhino. The three S9 Ignoring cover shots wrecked it and the squad disembarked into the cover of the ruins the rhino had been using. My Knight didn't have range for anything but the newly disembarked squad so his gatling cannon unloaded on them but my opponent made all of his cover saves annoyingly. The sonic blaster squad shot murderfang's rear armour stripping off two hull points the doom siren took the last off. They were open to the charge of the shield dread but as a former wolves player I knew it was more durable than it was killy so they would keep it busy for a turn at least before my Knight or Blastmasters could work on it.

My opponent's turn 2 saw his Stormfang arrive from reserve but the last drop pod didn't. The Stormfang came on pointed at my Knight as I expected it would. His Venerable Dreadnought closed down my Sonic Blaster marines on the left and his Thunderwolves and the rhino on the flank shot over to my chariots that were evading the dreadnought. On the right hand side his rhino moved towards the centre and disembarked the grey hunter squad so he could shoot the rear armour of a chariot. His meltas popped one of the chariots on the left flank and on the right the shooting of the newly disembarked Grey Hunter squad was unlucky and my chariot was unscathed. His Stormfang only managed to light up the ion-shield of my Knight. His Thunderwolves charged the remaining chariot on the left flank killing the Exalted Alluress with contemptuous ease and his Venerable Dread laughed at the attempts of the Noise Marines to stick a grenade to it but only managed to kill one keeping it tied up as planned. So I'd lost 2VPs for dead chariots to my opponent so far...

Too many objective secured Grey Hunters on the table or hiding in their Objective Secured Rhinos now with another still to Pod in. My Knight continued to swing in to the middle of the table. The Spawn jumped onto the right hand objective in the crater with a Sonic Blaster squad following not too far behind. Two chariots positioned themselves to charge the Grey Hunter squad at the back of the board on the right. The Herald's chariot positioned itself to charge the Grey Hunter squad that had been turfed out of the First Blood Rhino and a seeker squad moved to charge with her (after of course so they wouldn't have to take the overwatch. Lucius' rhino moved to the very centre of the table ready to reinforce wherever was required once the Greu Hunter drop pod came down. Blastmaster shooting was aimed at the Thunderwolves who were close to the rhino on the left so I could hit both if shots didn't scatter. One shot scattered wildly. The others took two hull points off the only rhino with troops still embarked and a wound off the Thunderwolves. The Knight struggling for targets this turn, I was ignoring his flyer for now, whilst it was worth 1VP as a Heavy Support choice I figured my Knight's shooting could be better used supporting the ground effort for now. Alas, it shot the Thunderwolves and they saved every singled shot on their Stormshields making a mockery of that idea! In the assault phase the Herald and Seekers charged the central Grey Hunter squad cutting down all but 2 Grey Hunters and the Pack Leader, who in retalliation killed two Seekers. They failed their morale check and were chased down but And They Shall Know No Fear kept the combat going. Out towards the right flank the charge of the two chariots took out 6 Grey Hunters and a Pack Leader but the Grey Hunters killed one Alluress netting themselves another VP and again ATSKNF kept them in combat despite the failed morale check. The Venerable Dreadnought fluffed his lines and killed nothing but the Noise Marines were still failing to leave a mark.

His turn 3 and his pod still didn't land the Stormfang followed behind the Knight looking to get one last shot at it before it's position would leave it unable to see it. The Thunderwolves moved so they could charge the Seekers (that was going to be a one sided combat) and the Rhino with troops still in wrecked itself trying to traverse a crater. The Grey Hunters inside got out and killed the Champion and Blastmaster on my left flank in their frustration. The Stormfang again failed to make a mark on the Knight but its Heavy Bolter took out the Blasmaster in my central Noise Marine squad on the objective - cursed machine spirit. In assault the Thunderwolves trampled the seekers and the Herald was cast down by the Powefist packing Pack Leader but not before his pack was killed around him. The Pack Leader consolidated onto the objective on the left out of sight of everything. In the other chariot combat two more Grey Hunters died leaving one stubborn one that would not be shifted. The Venerable Dreadnought then wiped out the Noise Marine squad and consolidated into the cover of his drop pod.

My turn 3. The Knight moved into the dead centre of the board to get the best angle on the Thunderwolves. Lucius bored or waiting for the drop pod to arrive drove his Rhino close enough to the last surving Wolf rhino for a drive-by double Doom Siren. The Sonic Blaster squad on my right flank moved onto the objective to babysit the Spawn and to hopefully deal with the objective secured rhino over there the next turn. Shooting phase the remaining Blastmaster started things off by killing 5 Grey Hunters after his shot scattered off the only Grey Hunter he could see into a far deadlier position. Delicious. The Knight threw everything it had at the Thunderwolf Cavalry again and the dice evened themselves up leaving just the Wolf Lord and the Thunderhammer Thunderwolf standing. Otherwise Lucius' boredome fuelled drive-by took a Hull Point from a rhino. In assaults the last chariot and the Grey Hunter both failed to do anything to eachother and then we waited to see where the Drop Pod would land...

It came down in my deployment zone scattering just away from the Noise Marines on the objective there. The guys inside had two flamers so I prayed that the Sonic Blaster grunts would save enough of the forthcoming wounds to keep my Champion alive. The Thunderwolves and the Venerable Dreadnought positioned themselves to charge my Knight and the Stormfang decided to leave combat airspace so it could have a hopefully decisive shooting phase on his 5th turn. The Grey Hunters that had podded in forced me to roll some very lucky armour and 6+ FNP saves but my Champion lived with one Sonic Blaster marine to keep him company - all I would need to punish their temerity for turning up in my deployment zone. The Thunderwolves successfully made their charge but the Dreadnought failed his. The Wolf Lord took a hull point off the Knight and the Knight killed the Thunderhammer wielder in response (breathing easier now he's gone). Rolled for 3 stomps and Slay the Warlord and then there was no Wolf Lord... Elsewhere the Grey Hunter at the back of the board killed my last chariot putting him at 4VP for the dead Heavy Support choices.

That meant I needed to get the objectives secured. 1 was held comfortably by me another was under threat by the podded in Grey Hunters and the other was held by the hidden objective secured Powerfist Pack Leader - Lucius had a target even if it wasn't one quite worthy of his time. He moved his rhino and disembarked unfortunately I couldn't quite get the angle on the Pack Leader but I'd have the option of assaulting him next turn if I needed it. The surviving Seeker squad moved to finish off the other sole-survivor from the other Grey Hunter squad. He'd put himself in cover though so I would be striking last - infuriating to the bitter end these Wolves! My Knight shuffled slightly so he could draw a bead on both the Dreadnought and the Grey Hunters threatening my deployment zone to support depending on how my other shooting went. The Noise Champion in my deployment zone positioned himself so that 7 Grey Hunters would fall under his Doom Siren template. The Doom Siren, Sonic Blaster and the Knight's Heavy Stubber removed the Grey Hunter squad. The Knight's Gatling Cannon forced a save or two from the Venerable Dreadnought but it was still yet to lose a hull point. The last Blastmaster tried to kill some more Grey Hunters (who were pretty stranded out on the far left stumbling through scenery and too far away to have any impact on anything unless the game went the full distance) but his shot scattered the full distance instead blowing up a drop pod - ok then!

Turn 5 saw the Stormfang return the board. It lined itself up to deal with Lucius and his squad threatening the objective guarded by the lonely Pack Leader. The Venerable Dreadnought was going to do the same but got caught up navigating the ruins and was therefore kept just out of charge range for this turn. In the shooting phase the Stormfang fired its Helfrost Destructor in dispersed mode and its heavy bolters killing zero Noise Marines (Slaanesh be praised for 4+ FNP!) but its Lascannon did kill one Noise Marine. The Venerableb Dreadnought ran 6" to put himself between the Pack Leader and Lucius.

My turn 5 the Knight moved across towarda my left flank to go after the Grey Hunters stranded over there just to ensure the was no danger of them getting anywhere useful for my opponent. The Seeker squad went and hid to tie up Linebreaker. Lucius and co moves into position to deal with the join threat of the Venerable Dreadnought and his rhino moved to the other side of the ruins to be contestinf the objective with the Dread (but losing out to the Objective Secured Pack Leader as things stood). In the shooting phase a Noise Marine in Lucius' squad made a lucky throw with a Krak grenade stripping the first hull point from the Venerable Dreadnought. The two Doom Sirens managed to strip another hull point between them as well. However, the real target of the Doom Sirens was the Pack Leader behind who was eaten up by the wall of sound. The Knight unloaded his Avenger Gatling Cannon at the Venerable Dreadnought's side armour hoping to remove it and hold that objective rather than contest but the Dreadnought made the most of thr ruins giving him cover and made all his saves. The last Blastmaster killed another Grey Hunter at the other end of the board. I toyed with charging the Dreadnought so he could eat Melta Bomb but figured if the game ended this turn I had the victory with the objective contested and with overwatch I'd have more chances of stripping that last hull point.

Rolled the dice and the game ended. I had two objectives, First Blood, Slay the Warlord and Line Breaker. My opponent had 4VP from killing Heavy Support choices and Line Breaker. Finished 9 - 5 to me.

Summary and tl;dr

The +1 strength on the sonic weapons was incredibly useful. It made the Sonic weapons effective light anti-tank when needed. Where I lacked was anti-tank in assaults to deal effectively with the Dreadnoughts etc. Against a vehicle heavy army I would have struggled though so I can see my bikers and/or Obliterators getting some game time the next time.

Relates to the above point but S6 Doom Sirens with Shred are amazing. I know it's not considered the most efficient way to run the various builds but I do swear by a Doom Siren on any Noise Champion. My meta sees a lot of pods etc so my Blastmaster squads having a way to remove newly arriving threats to their safety is fairly important. Split Fire means the Blastmaster can ignore the distraction too all being well.

Combat Drugs, now I know I said in this thread before they're probably worth the 35pt buy-in but I got nothing from them this game. Not a single attack was made to benefit from the +1 Strength all game.

I've faced harder Wolves lists from this opponent but equally I found I didn't have answers for a lot of things in his list but I was able to fashion make-shift responses to certain units with what I had. Anti-air remains a challenge and I missed the psychic phase.

Lucius was a bit of a passenger (literally) in the end. A combination of factors were responsible for this - I wanted to use his squad as a mobile reserve but equally didn't want to over commit them to fall victim to the Thunderwolves unless I had to. The delay of the drop pod squad saw them twiddling their thumbs a little when they could probably have been taking some of the strain off other units.

4+ FNP is amazing. Need to get this on the go on my terminators and bikers!

Thanks for the write-up Elazar. Fun read, I'm still more a fan of the focused noise marine squads than mixing doom sirens and sonic blasters, but seems like it went alright. :)
What about melta bombs on the champions? 20pts for a meltabomb and doom siren kit sounds alright, this also leaves the possibility of clearing those stupid rhinos and drop-pods, leaving stationary blastmasters to shoot at better targets. Just lob a single krak grenade at the vehicle while siren and pistols find a better target, leaving you able to charge it.
We got the EC rule where we always get a single hit off, so even with a low model count you always get the bomb off, even if a dreadnought blends your champion before initiative step 1.

Just curious, if I'm intent on building an EC list with a Lord and six Noise Marine squads with lots of sonic weapons, is there much point in making it a regular CAD over a Kakophoni? ObSec is nice but those sonic weapon bonuses just seem vicious. Also, would you ever add close combat weapons to a Sonic Blaster/Blastmaster shooting squad to give them some generalist utility, or is this not worth it?

It was so exciting to read your batrep, Elazar. I'm also one who loves the cavalcade formation as a heavy Slaanesh daemon user. Still, flayertroupe would make a better harmony with noise marines, I guess?

Relates to the above point but S6 Doom Sirens with Shred are amazing. I know it's not considered the most efficient way to run the various builds but I do swear by a Doom Siren on any Noise Champion. My meta sees a lot of pods etc so my Blastmaster squads having a way to remove newly arriving threats to their safety is fairly important. Split Fire means the Blastmaster can ignore the distraction too all being well.

My meta is similar, so I always give doom siren to NM and melta gun to CSM (I use 2-3 of them due to the warband formation). Thus far both weapons always earned back their points easily.

Just curious, if I'm intent on building an EC list with a Lord and six Noise Marine squads with lots of sonic weapons, is there much point in making it a regular CAD over a Kakophoni? ObSec is nice but those sonic weapon bonuses just seem vicious. Also, would you ever add close combat weapons to a Sonic Blaster/Blastmaster shooting squad to give them some generalist utility, or is this not worth it?

IMO CCW is only considered when you build a close-combat NM squad (neither BM nor SB, but doom siren & power sword for your sarge).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

A small question, if I may - I'm trying to put my EC forces together, and am trying to decide how to kit out my sergeants. I will mostly be running the Kakophoni formation, along with sorcerers and Daemon Princesses. My Noise Marines will be split between units focused on shooting (Sound blasters and blastmasters) who will likely take up the midfield and camp, and NS units who have just 2nd Close Combat weapons.

So, should I kit the sergeants in these two types of NS units differently? I hear good things about doom sirens, so I'm presently assuming they should all have those? But should I stick with just power swords/bolt pistols, or is it worth going all out on the powerfist/lightening Claw combo?

If swords are the way to go, I'll get my hands on a unit of Palatine Blades from Forgeworld, and use them as sergeants, but I thought I should garner some opinions beforehand...

Thanks,

Mallory.

So, should I kit the sergeants in these two types of NS units differently? I hear good things about doom sirens, so I'm presently assuming they should all have those? But should I stick with just power swords/bolt pistols, or is it worth going all out on the powerfist/lightening Claw combo

yes.

on assault units only

on assault units only, and no you should never buy 50pts melee upgrades for 1W models [unless they have something like ++2inv or something].

So, should I kit the sergeants in these two types of NS units differently? I hear good things about doom sirens, so I'm presently assuming they should all have those? But should I stick with just power swords/bolt pistols, or is it worth going all out on the powerfist/lightening Claw combo

yes.

on assault units only

on assault units only, and no you should never buy 50pts melee upgrades for 1W models [unless they have something like ++2inv or something].

Thanks Jeske :) And it was the answer I was hoping for, as I do love the poses of those Palatine blades.

By the way, I don't know if people here have seen this yet, but Warhammer Community have completed the EC part of build suggestions for Traitor Legions...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/29/traitor-legions-armies-part-3/

The first suggestion is Kakophoni with raptors, and the second is a warband. I'd be curious to know what people here thing to the advice?

I like to give my Sergeants Power Lances but they'd do just as well without them most of the time.

Doom Sirens are always great on any Noise Marine unit. Even on ranged ones even tho it's mostly against Drop Pod and Genestealer Cult shenanigans there.

I'm also no big fan of additional close combat weapons on Noise Marines since statistically they do about the same amount of wounds with Overwatch + first turn of combat as the ones with Sonic Blaster. Just with the difference that they can't shoot as well and are slightly better in following close combat turns which doesn't really matter tho since they aren't exactly a close combat dedicated unit in the first place.
If you are really really tight on points and think they'd help you out better elsewhere it's an option but normally I would just give them Sonic Blaster over an additional close combat weapon.

By the way, I don't know if people here have seen this yet, but Warhammer Community have completed the EC part of build suggestions for Traitor Legions...

https://www.warhamme...-armies-part-3/

The first suggestion is Kakophoni with raptors, and the second is a warband. I'd be curious to know what people here thing to the advice?

Sounds solid. Although instead of Kakophoni + Raptor Talon I would go with Kakophoni + Warband i think. I don't feel the deep strike + charge of the Raptor Talon outweights the ObSec on EC Bikes etc.

I agree, if you're planning on getting close then an upgrade is a good idea as you'll get stuck in a challenge. Due to the more mundane stats/equipment of the Champ you can't go too fancy and would want to make use of the I5 so realistically your options are limited. I'm pretty much just considering power swords as an upgrade, but if you're not surrounded by MEQ opponents a maul is an alternative.

As for GW's tactic stuff take it with a pinch of salt (or more). They like to talk about what's cool, or what they want to field which is fine as long as you remember that's by their criteria which may not be yours. For example I'm planning on also running a Warband as part of a Rapture Battalion, with Raptors - not as good as bikes but I'm aware of this. I want Raptors because I want to model some up!

As mentioned earlier upgrades should be kept lighter on 1W models, but I'd argue NM should be focused on shooting mostly. I like the lists I've seen up here with a single unit made to close on the enemy. Exception being the Doom Siren as aside from being unique it's also rather spiffy and should mitigate or even replace close combat requirements with some luck.

Hello all,

Do you think shriekwave is essential on a Kakophoni Lord?

Since it is a sonic weapon it gets boosted to STR 9 and with splitfire.

Stick him on a bike with some spawn and sorcerors... one Sorceror could take Brand and they can fire at different units.

Hello all,

Do you think shriekwave is essential on a Kakophoni Lord?

Since it is a sonic weapon it gets boosted to STR 9 and with splitfire.

Stick him on a bike with some spawn and sorcerors... one Sorceror could take Brand and they can fire at different units.

I think it's one of the worst items we have tbh.

One use only for an item that on average puts two wounds on its target...meh.

Also it's not a sonic weapon. Only Sonic Blaster, Blastmaster and Doom Sirens are sonic weapons as those are the only ones under listed under "Noise Marine Sonic Weapons" in the CSM codex.

I'm like 90% sure they simply forgot to add the sentence that it's a Doom Siren before the special one use only ability (most likely an editing error) but as long as we don't get an official errata it's simply a terrible relic.

Lucius is really nice in a Kakophoni formation. Double Doom Siren is some serious overwatch capability for anything with worse armor than 2+ :D

Say what!? I've always overlooked that self-scarring emo. I may have to go back and check him out. Did he get any updates or FAQs I missed?

Anyone else think that Kakophoni would synergize well with the Hellfist Murderpack?  Keep all the Helbrutes stock, multi Melta and powerfist.  Having the option to outflank the Murderpack would be fun as well with Maelstrom Rider, giving the enemy difficult deployment options.

Lucius is really nice in a Kakophoni formation. Double Doom Siren is some serious overwatch capability for anything with worse armor than 2+ biggrin.png

Say what!? I've always overlooked that self-scarring emo. I may have to go back and check him out. Did he get any updates or FAQs I missed?

No? Why would he? I'm talking about him and a Noise Marine champion in the same unit obviously. :D

Lucius is really nice in a Kakophoni formation. Double Doom Siren is some serious overwatch capability for anything with worse armor than 2+ :D

No? Why would he? I'm talking about him and a Noise Marine champion in the same unit obviously. :D

Got it! I went and looked in my book and checked online scratching my head the whole time. He seems kinda cool but every time I have used him he was quite a let down.

Khârn and Ahriman got updated minis and some rule changes. I bet typhus will get the same if Nurgle gets some TLC. So I wonder if Lucius would get the same treatment if they did Slaanesh.

Lucius is really nice in a Kakophoni formation. Double Doom Siren is some serious overwatch capability for anything with worse armor than 2+ biggrin.png

No? Why would he? I'm talking about him and a Noise Marine champion in the same unit obviously. biggrin.png

Got it! I went and looked in my book and checked online scratching my head the whole time. He seems kinda cool but every time I have used him he was quite a let down.

Khârn and Ahriman got updated minis and some rule changes. I bet typhus will get the same if Nurgle gets some TLC. So I wonder if Lucius would get the same treatment if they did Slaanesh.

Pretty sure he will....but not yet. All we know points towards Nurgle getting the attention next (from us chaos guys at least).

• 1 month later...

Finally got some time spent on my EC army last weekend.  I made enough progress on my five Obliterator conversions to put them on the table for a game, hopefully this weekend I will finish them up and get some paint on them.  I also wrangled a deal scoring me 30 more mk 4 marine bodies, 10 tartaros terminators, and Ahriman (soon to be an EC sorc) and the Wolf guy from Prospero (soon to be an EC claw/fist jump pack lord).  That will put a wrap on most of my EC infantry needs for 30 an 40K, I'll need more tanks and vehicles from here on out.

I also had an 1850 battle vs a World Eaters army

My army:

Sorc: lvl 3, terminator, force sword, familiar, elixer, MoS, VotLW

Lord: power armor, lash of rending, aura of corruption, MoS, VotLW

10 Noise Marines: power sword, doom siren, meltabomb, icon of excess, extra ccws

-Rhino

9 Noise Marines: power sword, doom siren, meltabomb, icon of excess, extra ccws

-Rhino

5 Noise Marines: blastmaster

5 Noise Marines: x4 sonic blasters

Warpsmith: MoS, VotLW, bolts of vexation

x3 Obliterators: MoS, VotLW

x1 Obliterator: MoS, VotLW

x1 Obliterator: MoS, VotLW

His army

Daemon Prince: CCW relic, MoK, power armor, wings

Lord: relic that adds 3" to move and charge, juggernaught, power armor, fist & claw, aura of corruption, MoK, VotLW

x3 Terminators: x3 combimeltas, MoK, VotLW

5 Chaos Marines: chain ax champ, pistol & ccw, MoK, VotLW

Helbrute: x2 powerfists

5 Bikes: x2 melta guns, MoK, VotLW

10 Bikes: MoK, VotLW (Lord here)

Warsmith: sigil of darkness, MoK, VotLW

x1 Mutilator: MoK, VotLW

It was a classic matchup between World Eaters and Emperors Children, he wanted to get in my face fast as a WE player and as an EC player I wanted him to get in my face fast.  He got turn one charges and smoked my blaster squad but Doom Sirens and Blastmasters made that costly in my own first turn.   My Oblits smoked his DP before he could ever do anything with him.  My big Noise Marine units turned into huge tarpits where I pitted my striking speed and durability vs his volume of attacks.  My lord died in a challenge to his lord but the squad of NM's accounted for two Mutilators, 8 of his Bikers, 5 of his Marines, and all but one of his lords wounds before they wiped.  The other NM squad absorbed two Marine squads and a Helbrute and won, walking out of the fight with the Champ, the Icon, and one NM left.  

MSU squads leveled the field with most of his infantry, cutting their numbers down and wrecking his bikes.  As a play of the game, a naked MSU NM champion with nothing more than a chainsword and a bolt pistol, killed his Lord his a challenge (yay INIT 6 troops, I rolled +1 for combat drugs) before the lord could swing his powerfist.  Granted the Lord was down to one wound, but he was mounted and had gained FnP as a reward.

My Oblits were the one thing he had no answer for.  They accounted for his Daemon Prince, x3 terminators, a Mutilator, a Warpsmith, damaging his helbrute, and capturing several points.  At the end of the game I had lost one lone Obliterator, the rest were unscathed.

Game ended in my favor 6 to 4.  He had just a Warpsmith left.  I had my Oblits, Warpsmith, Sorc and a few very decimated squads of Noise Marines left.

Archived