Making Noise Marines Scream

Bonzi

My Emperors Children army is officially feared in my gaming community.  I've played several games vs World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Nids, Astra Militarum, and Tau now and the consensus is that people don't like playing against my EC.  Mostly I've run the Kakophani formation with the Obliterator detachment which has proven effective time and time again.  Most recently I've tested out some different builds using the Warband detachment with a Spawn auxiliary and a Daemon Prince as a comand choice.  I've also given Lucius a shot as a way to get an extra doom siren into a foot squad of Noise Marines.  Verdicts are as follows:

Lucius:  In the past I've panned him as a sub par choice but after using him in the Kakophani as its Lord I appreciate him much more.  He will never stand toe to toe with great beat sticks, but as a way to get a second doom siren in a squad and get a challenge bot he works great.  The big plus side for Lucius is he doesn't have a preset warlord trait which means he can generate a good one off of our great Leadership table with a reroll if you get a duffer.  He also covers the AP 3 high initiative side of the challenge spectrum which lets you put a power fist on the sergeant for the heavy hitting.  In a large unit of Noise Marines mounted in a rhino with an Icon and extra CCWs, Lucius represents a huge roadblock to opponents, hard to kill with shooting but deadly dangerous to try and shift in CC.

Warband:  Mixed feelings.  I appreciate it as a way to bring a greater variety of units such as a squad of raptors or terminators to our army along with obsec, but in my game against the Tau I kept finding myself missing my Sirens and Blastmasters.  The utility of having CSM with melta and plasma guns never really paid off in my favor.  The Raptors proved a very keen addition to my force, but I can add those to a Kakophani via the raptor formation.  Obsec never really paid off either, I have better luck clearing objectives with turbo powered sirens rather than trying to use obsec to capture points from units I can't shift with regular weaponry.

Spawn:  I found my tax spawn terribly useful in my game for capturing points and eating overwatch.  I need to think of a way to do a clean conversion that will fit in my army (my EC don't have spiky bits or mutation, they are clean pretty boys of the 30th Millennium variety).

Daemon Prince:  My god he carried me to victory in a Tau game.  Between, Combat Drugs, Elixir and a random Boon of Mutation I got +1 WS, BS, Init, A, & T.  Also rolled the 4+ FnP and the nova scream on the psychic tables.  In one game my Prince killed: 2 squads of Pathfinders, 2 squads of Breachers, a Crisis Suit Commander & drone, a Ghost Keel and two drones, and a Stormsurge battle suit.  The only things he didn't kill himself was a Riptide, 2 squads of Breachers, 1 squad of Pathfinders, and two three man Crisis Suit teams.  The Prince really gave me the speed and hitting power I've been lacking in the past.  I'm really considering a list built around the Kakophini and Raptor formations with Spawn and a Prince added in for my next matchup.

Well and here I was considering to kick the Daemon Prince from my list because after all he is REALLY expensive and I could easily bring 2 Heldrakes instead or some other stuff. :D

How about a more in-depth analysis for the DP? How did you use him? Loadout? What did and didn't workout with him? Mastery level a good necessary or simply a bad idea for Emperor's Children (not Psychic lore specific, I guess we all know which powers are good and which aren't ^^)

On a sidenote: I really wish we had a Bike formation for our meta-detachment...they are pretty much the only thing i'm missing for my ideal army list. sigh

Nice to hear Bonzi! :)

It's pretty much the same for me, not the being feared stuff, but my kakophoni are doing really good. I'm leaning towards just including doom siren squads, but last game just two small sonic blaster squads put enough wounds on a dreadknight to matter.(shred is amazing on those high-volume guns!)

Since the traitor legions book I've beaten grey knights, harlequins, death guard, ynnari(! I can thank army wide split fire for that one) and dark angels. All armies that i usually would have more trouble with.

Next couple of games are gonna be 1500pts, I'm looking at 4xDoom sirens in rhinos plus 2xblastmaster+sonic blaster squads. With support from three maulerfiends and their warpsmith babysitter, he wont mind riding along with one of the rhino squads. :)

The obliterator cult sounds nice, I need some good models for them before I can run that though.

My Emperors Children army is officially feared in my gaming community.  I've played several games vs World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Nids, Astra Militarum, and Tau now and the consensus is that people don't like playing against my EC.  Mostly I've run the Kakophani formation with the Obliterator detachment which has proven effective time and time again.  Most recently I've tested out some different builds using the Warband detachment with a Spawn auxiliary and a Daemon Prince as a comand choice.  I've also given Lucius a shot as a way to get an extra doom siren into a foot squad of Noise Marines.  Verdicts are as follows:

Lucius:  In the past I've panned him as a sub par choice but after using him in the Kakophani as its Lord I appreciate him much more.  He will never stand toe to toe with great beat sticks, but as a way to get a second doom siren in a squad and get a challenge bot he works great.  The big plus side for Lucius is he doesn't have a preset warlord trait which means he can generate a good one off of our great Leadership table with a reroll if you get a duffer.  He also covers the AP 3 high initiative side of the challenge spectrum which lets you put a power fist on the sergeant for the heavy hitting.  In a large unit of Noise Marines mounted in a rhino with an Icon and extra CCWs, Lucius represents a huge roadblock to opponents, hard to kill with shooting but deadly dangerous to try and shift in CC.

Warband:  Mixed feelings.  I appreciate it as a way to bring a greater variety of units such as a squad of raptors or terminators to our army along with obsec, but in my game against the Tau I kept finding myself missing my Sirens and Blastmasters.  The utility of having CSM with melta and plasma guns never really paid off in my favor.  The Raptors proved a very keen addition to my force, but I can add those to a Kakophani via the raptor formation.  Obsec never really paid off either, I have better luck clearing objectives with turbo powered sirens rather than trying to use obsec to capture points from units I can't shift with regular weaponry.

Spawn:  I found my tax spawn terribly useful in my game for capturing points and eating overwatch.  I need to think of a way to do a clean conversion that will fit in my army (my EC don't have spiky bits or mutation, they are clean pretty boys of the 30th Millennium variety).

Daemon Prince:  My god he carried me to victory in a Tau game.  Between, Combat Drugs, Elixir and a random Boon of Mutation I got +1 WS, BS, Init, A, & T.  Also rolled the 4+ FnP and the nova scream on the psychic tables.  In one game my Prince killed: 2 squads of Pathfinders, 2 squads of Breachers, a Crisis Suit Commander & drone, a Ghost Keel and two drones, and a Stormsurge battle suit.  The only things he didn't kill himself was a Riptide, 2 squads of Breachers, 1 squad of Pathfinders, and two three man Crisis Suit teams.  The Prince really gave me the speed and hitting power I've been lacking in the past.  I'm really considering a list built around the Kakophini and Raptor formations with Spawn and a Prince added in for my next matchup.

I too would love to hear how yourself and others use the units - for example, are the obliterators mainly used to melta stuff, or hold back and use lasers/plasma blasters? Do you deep strike them in every game, or does it vary? And what's the loadout on the Daemon Prince?

I was wondering of Laser Destroyer Rapiers (Rapiers are T7 artilliary, and a laser destroyer is S9 AP1 36" ordinance) would just as well as Obliterators, as I think they'll fit better fluff-wise with my army, you see...

Lovely to hear the EC doing well with the new rules. Once I've finished painting mine up (I've given them Blood Angel heads, and they really go well with the giger-esque weapons) I'll have a 1500pts army - a kakophoni formation, a sorcerer, 1-2 Rapiers and a Chosen unit in a land raider (I lack melta/AP2) and some cultists.

By the way, Slaanbull, I use Forgeworld Myrmidon Destructors as my Obliterators, as I can't stand the GW models. Their size is spot-on, and if you want, you can tweak the weapon arms a little if needs be, but they look fantastic (I think)

The Fey Mallory , how do you have the rapier batteries in your list? I was under the impression since they are not listed in any of the formations that I could not use them in a rapture battalion. For example I have sicaran and had been proxying hell blades before Traitor Legions but since they are not listed under any formations like Fist of the Gods I had to forgo them when using my Kakophoni army.

Again, I thought you couldn't do that either? You cannot ally your main army with the same army. Does the supplement count as a separate army?

I really think I learned that in this thread somewhere as before TL I never used formations.

Actually... you can run the rapture battalion alongside a CAD. It references doing just that in the Traitor Legion book itself (page 125) it specifically states it is Battleforged.

Yeah. I might actually be tripping out.

EDIT: Yep, I was thinking of an Allied Detachment. I had wanted to do that before so I only needed to bring 1 HQ, 1 troop, and then I could bring my Sicaran. If I am not mistaken this is not possible.

Actually... you can run the rapture battalion alongside a CAD. It references doing just that in the Traitor Legion book itself (page 125) it specifically states it is Battleforged.

Yeah. I might actually be tripping out.

EDIT: Yep, I was thinking of an Allied Detachment. I had wanted to do that before so I only needed to bring 1 HQ, 1 troop, and then I could bring my Sicaran. If I am not mistaken this is not possible.

Correct. The Allied Detachment may not be from the same Faction as your Primary Detachment. You can take a generic Chaos Space Marine CAD (two squads of Cultists, one HQ and your Sicarian) alongside whatever Formations and other Legion-specific Detachments you're fielding, though!

@ The Fey

For the Oblits I start them on the field behind cover or rhinos.  I run them in a unit of three and two units of one, the warpsmith joins the unit of three and doubles their shots.  It works dandy to bring down aircraft when you pump out 6 rapid fire tl plasma shots and 12 assault cannon shots, snap fire be damned.  I walk them forward and threaten tanks and heavy infantry when they get in melta range.  I like to buff them with the 4+ FnP power when I get it.  I should consider Deep Striking the lone Oblits, I'll try it in the future.

Deamon Prince: lvl3 psyker, power armor, wings, elixer.  He wracked up such a kill count because the Tau had no skyfire, he rolled 4+ FnP power, the nova shriek, and one other that didn't matter.  The nova power melted his MSU path finders and breachers while he was flying over his lines.  In CC he was unkillable because of T6 and a 3+5++4+++.  The Storm Surge had fired its anchor chains so it couldn't stomp the first rounds, after that my DP tore him down and pinballed through his remaining suits because I had pushed his army into a single corner and they had nowhere to run from a winged prince.

Archived