AE's 2013 LPC vow and WIP thread

I, Angelus Encarmine of the Blood Angels subforum, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present at least one unit of Sanguinary Guard on or before the 31st of March, 2013. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

For The Emperor and Sanguinius!

I finally got lured back to 40K after many, many years and several skipped editions.  The LPC seemed like the perfect motivation to jump start my painting, as that area has fallen by the wayside in recent years.  Ah, how simple it seemed....

This thread will serve to track my progress on the vow.  The Angels Encarmine are the chapter I've decided to paint.  The blood angels were the most appealing from playstyle and background, and the alabaster armor for the death company/sanguinary guard was intriguing both in visual style and as a color I've always struggled with previously.  The chapter's focus on constant crusading also resonated with the story side of my soul.

Now when I made the vow I figured it would be simple given the time that was remaining and the limited number of models that I pledged.  I've never been a fast painter but I'm also not that slow.  And then work & life happened.  The Emperor sustains though and there is still more than enough time to experiment with coloring and complete the vow.  Let the paint crusade begin!  

-AE 

After a month and a half I have completed cleaning the models, priming, and doing a preliminary wash of black to pick out the recesses for when I start layering and blending white.  I've experimented a bit with test models and have yet to find a method for the white armor that I like.  While I have not found the right way for me, I have at least eliminated several options that I didn't like.  So we'll call that progress!

An initial picture of the prepped miniatures is below.  It's taken with my phone camera so quality is not great.  I'll replace it with a higher res picture if I have time before painting.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q724/Angelus_Encarmine/LPC%202013/LPC-2013-1_zpsc3bd4468.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ah...the thrill of the last minute push.  Almost another month gone by and only limited progress to show for it.  Even worse, my actual playing time is suffering just as much.     

My vow is a little closer to completion than shown in the picture below but haven't been staying vigilant with taking photos of the progress.  This shows the prepped minis after several washes of varying mixes of purple and grey.  There's a slightly more violet tint to the color than what shows in the photo.  The wings, weapons and rocks have an initial charcoal base.  From here, I started layering up to a pure white coloring on the armor.   

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q724/Angelus_Encarmine/LPC%202013/LPC-2013-2_zps39dde7c7.jpg

I wanted to keep the white on a cold palette which has been a steeper learning curve than I expected.  I'm not happy with the way it's turning out so far but that's probably the lack of practice with this approach.  Normally I would achieve my whites using warm tones, layering up to pure white from my base technique for doing weathered bone.

-AE 

Ah...the thrill of the last minute push.  Almost another month gone by and only limited progress to show for it. 

-AE 

Oh I know that well. I finished 5 hours ago. A day and a half before deadline. I finished early this year...... Keep going and post your progress. I'll be cheering you on. And looking forward to seeing the results. :)

I've accepted that I won't complete in time this year.  A bitter pill but my own fault for not getting it done earlier.  Lost most of today due to a call from work and tomorrow will be a stretch with family Easter plans. 

There's a slim chance I'll manage to wrap everything up although I'm a slow painter and at the point where trying to rush is just going to mess up the detailed work done so far.  Will put up some of the other WIP pictures and the final results later - tomorrow if I finish in time, sometime during the week if I don't.

-AE 

Archived