New Scheme Testing

Messor

So as the slates are rubbed clean and outlines laid down to make way for new IAs, the new schemes are coming to me first.

The first is under the working title 'Ash Ravens'. While I'm going for something a little more heraldic, and I kinda like the blue/orange combo(reminds me of Frozen Synapse), I'm only sure about keeping the orange and the 'Ash' in the name. I plan to bring the Chapter a healthy Thai influence, with an appreciation for sacrifice and martyrdom.

gallery_57008_7672_42888.jpg

The second is scheme is more solid on the colors, but up in the air on the layout. The main color is meant to be bronze-ish, and the soft armor will be kind of iridescent. The Chapter is the Bronze Besouros. They'll be loud, noble, theatrical types, likely with one or two intense psychoses. Hope to favor DA/cloaked models and mark vi greaves where possible.

gallery_57008_7672_12727.jpg

gallery_57008_7672_24666.jpg

gallery_57008_7672_47446.jpg

So opinions/suggestions from the Liber are welcome, especially the Heraldry department if any of you are around!

Dear god, man. Leave some IAs for the rest of us. tongue.png

Bsouros is...not a very good name for a chapter, not least because it's not in English. Or Latin. And why in the world do you want green soft armor?

I feel as though something called an ash raven should be more...ashy.  If you're hell bent on orange, an Orange and gray quarted or halfed cheme could work,  You could also have them be largely orange, with ash hand prints streaked across random splotches of their armor.  For some reason I like the image of that.  Like the marines spread the ashes of their cremated brethren on their armor, that the dead may still savor the glory of war....something like that.

But a bright blue body would be sort of fancy and pretty for that kind of motif. 

Not gonna sugar coat it, the second one is hideous.  But for a practical point, if you just have green soft armor, it will look like odd patina rather than a different color.  Green and Bronze can go together, but you have to be particular in the tint.  I would recommend a much darker shade.

Dear god, man. Leave some IAs for the rest of us. tongue.png

Bsouros is...not a very good name for a chapter, not least because it's not in English. Or Latin. And why in the world do you want green soft armor?

I honestly can't help myself. The Ash folk were meant to be the last ones, but in the middle of brain storming for them an idea from the DIY concpet thread came rushing back and refused to get out of my head. So with any luck, these will be the last ones for a while(not including two or three more Partialus entries)

I realize the Besouros' name will be an issue, and for a little while I was content with Beetles, as completely ridiculous as that sounds. Besouros has more meaning to me, though, and Beetles won't really add anything for anyone else. I might take the opportunity to tie up some Brazilian influences in the Chapter, but Besouros they'll remain.

The green definitely gives me pause, too. I was interested in trying to recreate that sort of iridescent green under a wing casing, the soft but functional part beneath the armor. If, by popular opinion, it doesn't fly, I'll look for an alternative.

I feel like the word Ravens does not bring to mind blue armor that reminds of the UMs. I like the colors, but would find something other than ravens.

That's funny, because I thought the blue would clash more with the Ash part of the name, but I see what you mean. I honestly just wanted some undiluted blue to paint. All I have right now are the Sons of Unity, which are half grey.

The Ash Ravens scheme is alright, not a big fan of the bronze ones (the last one is alright though - pretty close to Minotaurs).

The last one will be much closer to what I'm aiming for in the end, very festooned with tabards, capes, maybe robes and other ornaments. The top one was more experimenting with places to throw in the black, and I'm a little curious about trying a halved scheme.

I feel as though something called an ash raven should be more...ashy. If you're hell bent on orange, an Orange and gray quarted or halfed cheme could work, You could also have them be largely orange, with ash hand prints streaked across random splotches of their armor. For some reason I like the image of that. Like the marines spread the ashes of their cremated brethren on their armor, that the dead may still savor the glory of war....something like that.

But a bright blue body would be sort of fancy and pretty for that kind of motif.

Not gonna sugar coat it, the second one is hideous. But for a practical point, if you just have green soft armor, it will look like odd patina rather than a different color. Green and Bronze can go together, but you have to be particular in the tint. I would recommend a much darker shade.

All fair points. I am stuck on the orange(though I like it better as trim), and have considered gray, but my Tau and Sons of Unity also use a lot of gray, which is somewhat of a deterrent. As epic as the ash handprints sound, that would be hell to freehand...might work for terminators, though.

Please tell me the hideousness is caused by the green. I agree, it definitely need to be darker, though, if it stays.

Ah! I remember seeing that paint job, though I didn't remember it being here on B&C. I'll hop over and check out the feasibility, because the concept was genius.

Could work if it's a much darker green, maybe. I like the concept. Might be easier to recreate as part of the main armor, though - iridescent green with a thick dark varnish over it.

Interesting thought. I may be getting ahead of myself, still a couple other Chapter's waiting for paint, but I want to try that out, at least on a backpack. Possibly swap the bronze for trim.

gallery_38474_6917_27384.jpg

My recommended changes for the Ash Ravens. To really nail the theme, use weathering powder or an equivelant technique to work ashy-gray (same as the tabard) into the recesses of the arms and legs, growing into a near-solid coat at the hands and feet. I would have photoshopped this..but I didn't. :P

The blue is obviously darker.

Orange is used for very select trimmings and iconography. Be sparing if it's meant to be a highlight color.

If nothing else, don't paint the backpack orange.

Very impressive, Firepower. The darker blue is just as appealing, and much more fitting, and the ashen tabard will look great. Fortunately I have too many plans to make more than probably one of these marines, otherwise I would be forced to start hoarding tabard marines. Nah, the backpack was just testing places for the orange, it is definitely better in blue.

The tabard was mostly just to show the shade of gray to use for ash effects, though it does add a nice touch.  If you just had a couple per unit I think it would work well enough.  But if you're only going to make one of them you may as well go all out.

Archived