Sword Bearers and the Unforgiven (Updated 1/07/23: Angels Redeemed)

Spaced Hulk

• 2 weeks later...

Gilead looks fantastic, I especially like the candles and skull on the backpack, really injects some GrimDarkTM into the cleaner Primaris aesthetic. The body's one of Kromlech's new offerings? Is his name a reference to Gilead of Tor Anrok, the vengeful elf?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply!

@ Pearson73: Cheers brother, glad you liked my attempt to properly 'induct' the Primaris into the Unforgiven! Yes, it is a Kromlech body, they're really nice sculpts that I can't recommend highly enough. Afraid the name was just chosen in my usual way, eg: picking one at random from the Darkfortress name generator ☺

@ Helked: Thanks mate, glad you liked him! ☺

So, despite all my best intentions about painting models before building any more, I've done my usual trick, and made a new Captain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, new year, new direction. The Sword Bearers are going on hiatus (although I may continue to paint the occasional Revenant) while I work on a new army:

gallery_917_15127_1127314.jpg

It's been a very long time since I last painted a 40k Dark Angel, and I must say I've really enjoyed working on this combat squad. It's also quite satisfying to see how my painting has progressed since I first started this blog.

My new DA army will be largely Primaris, but I'll still be adding a few traditional elements. My thinking is that they'll be acting as observers, watching their new brethren to assess their combat ability and loyalty.

I'll continue posting updates here, although eventually I'll work towards a new thread in the Hall of Honour for just my 40k Dark Angels.

Thanks for looking, and happy new year!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks brothers! :thumbsup:

Bit more progress, this time on a DA Company Champion:

gallery_917_15155_999694.jpg

Still have all the highlighting to do, and also need to decide on which Company these DA are going to be (probably 3rd).

Also finished building the army's Warlord:

gallery_917_15155_622571.jpg

gallery_917_15155_569601.jpg

gallery_917_15155_177656.jpg

Thanks for looking! :smile.:

Edited by Spaced Hulk

• 2 weeks later...

Finished two more models for my fledgling DA army: the Third Company Champion and a Primaris Lieutenant with a stalker bolt rifle:

gallery_917_15127_961806.jpg

gallery_917_15127_479197.jpg

gallery_917_15127_412963.jpg

gallery_917_15127_380224.jpg

gallery_917_15127_997761.jpg

gallery_917_15127_767810.jpg

gallery_917_15127_264237.jpg

Really pleased with these two, as I feel they're probably the best models I've painted to date.

gallery_917_15127_31426.jpg

And finally here's the current status of my Dark Angels. Next up will either be some more Tacticals or an Intercessor Squad.

gallery_917_15127_1666952.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C are always welcome!

@ Pearson73: Thanks brother!

The size discrepancy really bothered me when Primaris were first released, but I'm ok with it now. Strangely, I went through a phase of initially hating Primaris, then learning to appreciate the models and better proportioned sculpts, to the point of losing interest in the classic marine range, but now I'm at the stage where I honestly enjoy working on both.

I think it helped (for me at least) to remember that Astartes aren't human any more, they're genetically engineered bio-weapons. So there's no reason why different types (and different sizes) shouldn't co-exist. We don't really question that the Primarchs dwarfed the Legionnaires they led into the Great Crusade, so I've just accepted that there are now different types of Space Marines.

Not criticising anyone who feels differently. Like I said, I felt the same way myself. Just trying to explain my choices for this army.

Of course, the size difference is even more pronounced with these models, as the Dark Vengeance marines are on 28mm bases, and the Primaris Lieutenant is on a raised 40mm base.

@ Galloway: Thanks very much brother! Shield was from Anvil Industry, but sadly I think they might be out of production now.

So I decided that a bare bones Lieutenant/Master (chainsword & master crafted bolter loadout) would be useful addition to my DA force. Also decided that the chained shield on the company champion worked out well enough to try something similar. After a lot of swearing and gluing my fingers together, this was the result:

gallery_917_15155_972116.jpg

gallery_917_15155_838403.jpg

gallery_917_15155_20594.jpg