Sword Bearers and the Unforgiven (Updated 1/07/23: Angels Redeemed)

Spaced Hulk

• 1 month later...

The Sword Bearers Chapter

The Sword Bearers hail from the distant Edge-world of Mire, located on the northern frontier of the Ultima Segmentum and the very limit of Imperial space. It is a forsaken place of foetid swamps and marshes, desolate moorland and near perpetual mist and rain. For over five thousand years, the Chapter served as the custodians of the Fenspire, an ancient chapter keep of the First Space Marine Legion and a store house of dread and forbidden weaponry. From their inception, the Sword Bearers were tasked with safeguarding this hidden arsenal and patrolling the Imperium's borders against the terrors of the outer dark.

In the closing years of the 41st Millennium, the armouries and weapon vaults of the Fenspire erupted in nuclear fire, as the entire fortress was destroyed in a mysterious and cataclysmic explosion. Much of Mire's northern hemisphere was reduced to a devastated, irradiated wasteland, and over three quarters of the Sword Bearers perished. For almost a decade, the survivors roamed the surrounding star systems, scavenging and raiding enemy strongholds as they sought desperately to keep their brotherhood alive. Finally an Imperial Expeditionary fleet located the remnants amongst the Hothe asteroid fields, delivering much needed supplies, reinforcements and hope to the stricken Chapter.

Their numbers replenished with a new generation of Primaris warriors, the Sword Bearers returned once more to their ancestral home world. They began constructing a new base of operations from the ruined shell of their former flagship, the 'Forlorn Hope', which now lies in permanent high orbit around Mire. The Chapter now seeks to forge itself anew, crusading across the Imperium Nihilus in a relentless, perhaps even desperate quest for atonement.

Vid Capture: First Lieutenant Cathan Astean, 'The Hound', Sword Bearers Third Battle Host.

gallery_917_16631_802312.jpg

gallery_917_16631_872138.jpg

A former Primaris Grey Shield, Cathan Astean was originally meant to join the Disciples of Caliban Chapter, but was reassigned when the extent of the Sword Bearers losses became known. His convoluted origins have been incorporated into his personal heraldry, which he wears proudly on his left pauldron.

gallery_917_16631_893634.jpg

A strict traditionalist, Lieutenant Astean bears the symbol of his founding Legion upon his left knee pad. Note that following the Chapter's Reformation, Company insignia and identifiers are no longer in use within the Chapter.

gallery_917_16631_968885.jpg

gallery_917_16631_983185.jpg

gallery_917_16631_343462.jpg

gallery_917_16631_1052737.jpg

So my first post of 2021, and the new Sword Bearers get their first character/HQ. As most people know, converting Marine Characters is one of my favourite parts of the hobby, so he definitely won't be the last! :smile.: Only very minimal conversion this time though, as I really like the base model.

I also wrote a brief Chapter outline which is included at the start of this post. This is a pretty long thread now, and lore of the Sword Bearers has evolved and changed since I first started (although the basic tenets are pretty much still the same) so I thought a fluff summary might be useful. The inspiration was the Chapter descriptions included with the colour schemes in the new Codices, which provide some interesting and evocative nuggets of information about the various Successor Chapters.

My customary late replies:

@ Galloway: Cheers mate, yes the chainblade works really well in my opinion. They always seemed a bit too big on normal bolters, but the scale seems perfect on a bolt rifle. I'm imagining him using the whole weapon like a halbard or poleaxe, which fits the medieval feel/imagery I'm aiming for really well.

Healthwise I'm ok now thanks (fingers crossed) :smile.:.

@ deathspectresrg7: Cheers brother, I feel my painting has come a long way since you used to have to moan at me to do any! :biggrin.: Still lots of things I can improve upon though. Hope the fluff is still worth a read as well.

@ Interrogator Stobz: I may have to go and have a lie down in Cell 42! Stobz liking Primaris! Are we sure the Alpha Legion haven't infiltrated us (again). :biggrin.: Seriously though, I'm glad you like them brother, and thanks for the compliments. And as I also said to deathspectresrg7, thanks for all the encouragement to paint you've given me over the years. I've always been a reluctant painter, but I do actually enjoy it now, so the perseverance paid off in the end! :smile.:

@ Othniel's Blade: Cheers mate! Yeah I really like the asymmetrical Mark 3 helm too :smile.:.

As usual, thanks for reading, and stay safe and well.

Very much like the new Lieutenant. He looks ace! :tu:

Also:

The Sword Bearers Chapter

The Sword Bearers hail from the distant Edge-world of Mire, located on the northern frontier of the Ultima Segmentum and the very limit of Imperial space. It is a forsaken place of foetid swamps and marshes, desolate moorland and near perpetual mist and rain.

So..... England, but a planet? :lol:

Fantastic as always, glad to hear all going well (finger crossed). Looking forward to see what more you've got planned for these guys.

Cheers mate! I'm currently building some Primaris scale Tactical marines and Assault Intercessors to add to the army next Edited by Spaced Hulk

• 2 years later...

Hi there, it's been a long time. A very long time! My old account seems to be deactivated (or at least I don't have a clue what the log in details are) so I've had to start a new one.

I mainly post my hobby stuff on Instagram these days, but as I've recently finished painting a model that I originally converted and posted here on the B&C, it seemed appropriate to post it here as well.

This is Letholdus. Once a Revenant of the Sword Bearers Chapter, now High Interrogator and Chapter Master of the Sanctic Guard. large.20230423_135046.jpg.c09b47836582a120230423_134938.thumb.jpg.c6d4a0c3012088df69eb47c3af1a3330.jpg20230423_135016.thumb.jpg.9e918c8411963687a138b777ae5dd839.jpg20230423_135317.thumb.jpg.7614714c3bc184c1b71ca075bb8fdc51.jpg

13 minutes ago, spacedhulk said:

Hi there, it's been a long time. A very long time! My old account seems to be deactivated (or at least I don't have a clue what the log in details are) so I've had to start a new one.

I mainly post my hobby stuff on Instagram these days, but as I've recently finished painting a model that I originally converted and posted here on the B&C, it seemed appropriate to post it here as well.

This is Letholdus. Once a Revenant of the Sword Bearers Chapter, now High Interrogator and Chapter Master of the Sanctic Guard.

Excellent Chaplain my friend...

And of course welcome back you have been sorely missed.

2 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

Excellent Chaplain my friend...

And of course welcome back you have been sorely missed.

Thanks my friend! :smile:Not sure how active I'll be here yet, as most of my projects are non DA/Unforgiven these days. Might start a new topic in the WIP or Hall of Honour forums though.

2 minutes ago, spacedhulk said:

Thanks my friend! :smile:Not sure how active I'll be here yet, as most of my projects are non DA/Unforgiven these days. Might start a new topic in the WIP or Hall of Honour forums though.

Well when you do decide, tag me.

Always a fan of your work,

2 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Welcome Back Brother!

If a fine looking Interrogator is needed to bring you back, then that's awesome. :laugh:

Cheers mate, it's good to be back! :smile:

My old and new accounts have been merged now btw, so apologies for any confusion caused by my previous post :laugh:

• 2 months later...

THE ANGELS REDEEMED

20230701_105759.thumb.jpg.591ee736fe386a60336420a705a7b0f6.jpg

From their hidden asteroid base located within the depths of the Helix Nebula, the Angels Redeemed launch their Strike Fleets across the length and breadth of the Imperium. Clad in crimson and sable, the Redeemed mercilessly deliver the Emperor's judgement upon his enemies, wherever they may be found.

20230701_105919.thumb.jpg.f0672db142a59e6a4ee55fb3f873cdf5.jpg

20230701_105826.thumb.jpg.d69c35875b3a527c9cd8d7ef9dda43e2.jpg

Despite their reputation as staunch adherents of the Codex Astartes, the origins of the Angels Redeemed remain clouded and controversial. It is widely believed that they represent a deliberate attempt by the High Lords of Terra to create a more malleable and easily controlled Chapter from the First Legion's lineage. For although the Angels Redeemed undoubtedly display Lion El'Jonson's genetic markers, they remain completed ostracised and even reviled by the Dark Angels and their successors. Whilst the other Sons of the Lion foster incredibly close ties of brotherhood and mutual support, leading many to believe that they constitute a unified Legion in all but name, the Angels Redeemed do not appear to have ever been included amongst the ranks of the so called Unforgiven. The Dark Angels themselves have openly condemned the Redeemed as being 'unfit' to bear the Lion's genetic heritage, and have refused to fight alongside the Chapter on multiple occasions.

20230701_105843.thumb.jpg.92f6929eb8592ce229022d2dc0d1c0de.jpg

20230701_105937.thumb.jpg.d1a460d93a3d371226267866a9208971.jpg

However a growing number of Ordo Astartes Inquisitors believe that the Chapter's apparent isolation from their peers may actually be a deliberate ruse, a deception designed to free the Angels Redeemed from the scrutiny and suspicion faced by the Dark Angels and their Successors. If this is indeed the case, it poses many unanswered questions as to the true motives and agenda of both the Redeemed and the Unforgiven as a whole.

20230701_105949.thumb.jpg.b3bd70c82872c91720669a5503b18e1d.jpg

Edited by Spaced Hulk

25 minutes ago, Raziel-TX said:

Like the background angle you have going on with these guys.  Also, definitely a striking and non traditional color scheme-must be a nice change of pace for the usual dark and brooding greens and blacks usually associated with DAs. 

Thanks mate! They're actually an official GW Chapter from an old book of alternative colour schemes, but it only provided the name, scheme and Chapter badge. The lore is my own invention, but it seemed appropriate for them.

It's also a bit of a homage to Arkley's red Unforgiven Chapter as well! :smile:

Dang…I need to haze myself. I thought I was up to speed on all the DA off shoots. 

Are you calling your Sword Bearers complete at this point or did you just want a palate cleanse?