Sword Bearers and the Unforgiven (Updated 1/07/23: Angels Redeemed)

Spaced Hulk

I’m leaning towards standard DA green for your master. Only because it’s the DA, and besides the obvious RW and DW colour schemes, the DA tend to stay away from flashy ornamentation and different colour schemes amongst their power armour brethren. Usually distinctions are made with robes and such, right? But it’s your model Hulk, and I have no doubt whichever you choose you’ll do a fantastic job brother.

I know what you mean mate, and obviously a DA green scheme would tie in better with the rest of the army. However, I also have two Primaris Captains (so far

I'm hoping I'll be able to paint both. The conversion of the Dark Vengeance Chaplain will be in Sword Bearers colours (so steel armour, green arms/pauldron/power pack, white robes & tabard).

The other Master (beard, two handed sword) will be for my Dark Angels. He's the one who will probably get the white armour like Lostrael's captain.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Lieutenant! :thumbsup: I'm trying to get hold of some Contrast Apothecary White (without much success at the moment, to be honest) to try out on that Firstborn Master, which is why I've vowed a couple of Primaris Masters for my second vow.

I've finally managed to finish off quite a few models that have been languishing in the WIP phase for a while. Be warned, lots of pics incoming:

Revenant Lieutenant Ajax, Commander of the Shadow Guards

gallery_917_15127_1341849.jpg

gallery_917_15127_622624.jpg

gallery_917_15127_278283.jpg

gallery_917_15127_1143559.jpg

Dark Angels 3rd Company Primaris Master in Mark X artificer armour (as yet unnamed)

gallery_917_15127_889019.jpg

gallery_917_15127_330980.jpg

gallery_917_15127_372503.jpg

gallery_917_15127_1139305.jpg

Dark Angels Lieutenant-Commander (basically a mid level officer I can use as a cheap HQ, either as a Lieutenant or a Master)

gallery_917_15127_86430.jpg

gallery_917_15127_1229987.jpg

gallery_917_15127_7187.jpg

gallery_917_15127_436655.jpg

The second half of a DA Tactical Squad (no squad or company marking yet, as I'm still working out how to organise the army. They might end up part of the 6th Reserve Company):

gallery_917_15127_119704.jpg

And here's the complete Tac Squad:

gallery_917_15127_1014402.jpg

And finally here's a group shot of all my finished Dark Angels so far:

gallery_917_15127_1674342.jpg

I'm really pleased with how the Dark Angels are looking so far, and it's nice seeing how my painting has progressed since the earliest days of this thread. Obviously it's really character heavy at the moment (I do tend to build a lot of HQs, particularly Company Masters :whistling: ), so the next additions (apart from any characters I vow for the ETL :smile.: ) will be some Intercessors for the Sergeant to lead.

Thanks for looking!

Your painting is really improving Brother Hulk, loving Lt Ajax (despite the tall armour :P ) :tu:

And your conversions and bits use is at it's usual fantastic and inspiring standard.

Keep on sharing the goodness!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheers brothers! :thumbsup:

Well, it's been a bit of a manic month (which unfortunately always seems to happen during the ETL) so progress has been very slow. However, I have almost finished my second vow. Here's the Revenant Smash-Captain, complete except for his decals:

gallery_917_15155_1199280.jpg

gallery_917_15155_1018702.jpg

gallery_917_15155_866679.jpg

Just need to finish a couple more details on the Phobos Lieutenant and I'll be calling both models complete. Unfortunately, there's no way I'll have time to complete another vow, so that's going to be the end of my regrettably very limited contribution to the ETL this year.

In other news, I think I've decided to expand the Revenants into their own Chapter, basically as Successors of the Sword Bearers created in the aftermath of the Mire Cataclysm and the formation of the Great Rift. The fact that the new Marine Dex allows to create your own Successor Chapter (with rules) is, of course, purely coincidental :wink:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers brothers! :thumbsup:

@ jbaeza94: Yes mate, I post (occasionally, as I do here) in a couple of Facebook 40K groups :smile.: .

So I've finished the last bit of highlighting and have called my ETL vow complete:

gallery_917_15155_690021.jpg

gallery_917_15155_43206.jpg

gallery_917_15155_1154418.jpg

Still need to apply a few decals, but as I've said before, I do a whole batch of those at the same time.

So, what next? I'm sorry to say, but I think that after six years, this thread has just about run it's course. The main reason is that the Sword Bearers themselves are pretty much finished, and I can't realistically see myself working on them again. There's also too much disparity between my old models and the work I'm producing now, and I don't have the time (or enthusiasm) to strip the old stuff and repaint it. Honestly, I'd rather be working on new stuff. I've even considered selling off all my old Sword Bearers models and conversions, which to me says it's time to call it a day with this particular project/topic.

The Sword Bearers will live on, in a fashion at least. I intend to keep on working on the Revenants, but they'll now be a Primaris Successor Chapter of the Sword Bearers, rather than their Second Company. My Dark Angels will continue as well, as I feel I'm finally doing justice (with both conversions and painting) to the Chapter that caught my imagination all those years ago. However, I'm feeling that both these projects need a new home, and that this thread should, like a repentant Fallen Angel, be allowed to rest in peace.

With that said, I'd like to say a very heart felt thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic over the last six years. It's the advice, feedback and encouragement I've received which has kept this project going on so long, and which has helped me drastically improve my painting and modelling skills.

All the best brothers, and thank you.

Until the sword is reforged.

all things must be laid to rest eventually. your conversions are awesome, and i liked your sword bearers. Ill be sure to follow your new Revenants blog.

ive started rereading all the fluff you wrote, and all i can say is wow. i wish i had the ability to write that you do. it takes me forever to whip up a small piece, and here you were whipping them out constantly. the way you build atmosphere and mood really paints a picture in my head.

Edited by jbaeza94

Aw man, that’s some sad, sad news. Especially on a Monday morning hahaha. I’ve truly loved following this thread all these years. And it was your thread that finally got me out of my lurking bubble and got me to actually start posting and interacting on here!

I know whatever project you move on to next I’ll most definitely be following. I’ll always be a fan of your work Hulk :tu:

Ah that's sad - loved your work on Sword Bearers but I understand you. sometimes you have to move on and start sth new. Maybe after some break you will find again this enthusiasm that have driven you towards the sword bearers and you will return to them!

Also hope to see your other work soon :smile.:  

Edited by bevulf