This is my crusade, there are many like it, but this one...

Honda

...is mine.

I've just finished a major upgrade to my crusade, two Caestus Assault Rams. It is my hope that I'll be able to make it to Big Game III in Memphis next week in order to represent my chapter.

In the mean time, I offer these two for your comment and critique. I will also be posting the rest of my crusade, the Albigensian crusade, as it stands over the next short while now that I have enough to share. Additional details can be found in my crusade thread here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/253019-the-albigensian-crusade/?p=3070550

Cheers,

gallery_15184_7227_335594.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_177827.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_453769.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_618901.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_567062.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_650489.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_541527.jpg

Thnx for the feedback Brothers!

I agree with you regarding the aethetics of these beasts. Much like the SM ground vehicles, they tend to epitomise the blunt force trauma aspect of anything having to do with the Astartes and they don't look like some slapped together toy.

I must admit that it took me a while to warm to them, as my first thoughts were, "Um, what are you guys thinking?", but after thinking about them and just appreciating their  lines, I have come to think they were really on to something.

One aspect of their design that has me wondering though  is the wings. It would seem that any collision into a structure (ship or otherwise) would pretty much strip the wings off as the body continues its forward momentum. I don't know if that is intended to be part of the design, in that regardless of the collision result, it seems like the body could still lift up and  fly away, so then other than carrying missile pods, you sort of have to wonder what the purpose of the wings are other than aesthetics.

But I love how they look and I'm fairly happy with the overall scheme as I can envision it being an extension of the Templar Black/White with the vehicle body representing the initiate's body and the wings representing the shoulderpads.

Overall, it was a fairly straight forward build, even with my add on strengthening at various points. The real test now is really in the transportation aspect, ensuring that the wings stay where they are supposed to.

Cheers,

Caestus can be used either singularly or as a plural.

Back to the topic at hand- absolutely stunning pieces of work here brother, but I'm a little shocked there isn't more BT iconography on them.  Any reason why they are so blank?

Back to the topic at hand- absolutely stunning pieces of work here brother, but I'm a little shocked there isn't more BT iconography on them. Any reason why they are so blank?

That's a really good question and one that I admit I struggled with for a bit. So I considered a couple of points:

1. Given that they most likely travel at multiple Machs in atmosphere, like Thunderhawks, I knew I couldn't hang a bunch of banners on them.

2. So then it came down to how much to paint, keeping in mind that although I have a lot of script on the rest of my vehicles, I have not gone for an overly ornate level of decoration. So, I kept the ornamentation rather basic so that they would look like they belonged in my Crusade and added a fair amount of purity scripts to break up all the black. I know that may not come across very well and some of that can be attributed to my lack of photography skills.

That said, I realize that my approach to the Templar livery is not for everyone. I prefer softer contrasts in general and some of my favorite Templar armies are not a hard black and white. Instead they have taken steps to reduce the contrast level while keeping it very clear that you are still seeing black and white. My way of accomplishing

this is by using Vallejo German Grey (990) for my black, then mixing a 50/50 batch of 990 and 995 (lt. grey) to bring out some of the edging. This also means that my vehicles don't have edged highlights. It's a different way to look at the problem and it does seem to work for the most part.

All that said, the Caestus is an interesting model to paint because as much canvas as you feel you may have, I also felt like there were a lot of constraints. In the end, because I had some challenges visualizing the additional details to my satisfaction, I ended up taking a very conservative approach to them. They are too significant a model to mess up on.

So that's why I did what I did. smile.png

3. They are very blunt, brutal looking objects. I think that speaks volumes in and of itself.

4. Regarding what's next, well these guys are the wrong color, so I have to fix that.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9451.jpg

And to lift up the covers a tad more, here is Brother Aquila

gallery_15184_7227_223275.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_459653.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_465206.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_245525.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_421053.jpg

Many thanx for the feedback and comments, as you all know, that helps keep the muse working.

Cheers,

Hmm...the first attempt to respond zipped into the warp for some reason. Ok, long story short:

1. The Caestus and Ravens will most likely be the only fliers, though I would like to get a Strike Eagle because they look so cool. I do intend to add drop pods at some point. These will be scratched from PVC, though, not the GW model.

2. Having said that, I would dearly, dearly, dearly, dearly (have I said it enough) love a PLASTIC Thunderhawk. I don't think I have to say much more about that.

3. I like your characterization of Brother Aquila as "preying". I think that's very fitting and an interesting observation. If you don't mind, I'll use that the next time I need to describe him.

I should have some more posts before too long, which will continue to expand the overall look and feel of the crusade.

Cheers,

when the ram crashes into the side of an enemy ship, i think it would be unlikely that it carries on far. i would imagine it stopping with the hull a good few metres in, so that the back half of it would still be sticking out, opening the ramps, deploying the marines, closing the ramps and jamming it in reverse for a quick getaway.

although it would be wicked if the pilots did decide to see how far they could ram the ship up the other ships censored.gif

• 1 month later...

Brothers, I want to thank you for selecting Templar Air for your flight today. For those of you enrolled in our frequent flyer program, you will be earning approximately 50 miles on the inbound trip, unless we are required to make a deviation. However, given the fact that this is Templar Air, that's not very likely.

I would like to remind you that this flight is a "No Smoking" flight and if you should see any smoke in the cabin, then it is most likely the result of heretics, witches, and xenos scum attempting to degrade the structural integrity of our craft on our way in. Please feel free to eliminate this nuisance upon your arrival at your earliest convenience. There are three emergency exits on this craft, all equipped with the Exodus Mk. 5c Assault Ramp. If you should come into contact with any soft bodies upon your departure, they are most likely from the previously mentioned body of heretics, witches, and xenos scum. Consider this opportunity a blessing and do feel free to unleash your holy wrath upon the unbelievers.

As we are expecting a fair bit of turbulence on the way in, the Captain recommends that you leave your body straps on and tightened up snugly. As we enter the atmosphere of Fosdick III, our craft will be traveling at approximately Mach 30. As we get closer to the surface, the sonic and pressure wave generated by our craft will most likely puncture ear drums, eyes, and sinus cavities, placing anyone within 5 kilometers of our flight path in excruciating pain. Take comfort in this. Our in-flight movie stars our own Master of Sanctity Grimaldus in "Return to Helsreach".

Once again, thank you for choosing Templar Air and may your wrath go unabated.

gallery_15184_7227_460346.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_30537.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_185280.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_624050.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived