XXI cohort of the VIII night lords legion

Punk possum

Hi I am shiny and new to B&C and Though not new to 40K it has been about 20 years since I last had anything much to do with the "Dark millenium".

About 2 years ago I go back into WFB (mostly thanks to my children) but now my Dark elves have topped 6000 points I decided I needed something new to keep my interest. then the new edition of 40K came out and I thought what the hell. I have gone back to my second ever wargames army the Night lords now they have changed a bit from those days (I did the first incarnation of the 21st in 1989!).  

So first I got a copy of Lord of the night and the Soul hunter trilogy. Having got the feel I wanted the army to have set in my mind I then started. 

This led to this:

http://s23.beta.photobucket.com/user/tasciovanous/media/008.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10#/user/tasciovanous/media/008.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10&_suid=1363536386397007357440861395464

Then Halo4 came out and I got Skyrim and did nothing (constructive) for 3 months!

at the start of feb I decided to pull my finger out and get painting this lead to these guys:

http://s23.beta.photobucket.com/user/tasciovanous/media/018.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/tasciovanous/media/017.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=136353651568307965861639364381

The terminators are obviously just made "out of the box" but they are a stop gap measure till I can afford to get some of the FW Cataphractii my plans for the bulk of my force are a bit more ambitious, I will be mostly kit basing with the odd little conversion.

Any comments/ constructive crit is very welcome.

Having just seen what Dark ven is doing with night lords I will  have to raise my game just to avoid looking like the ham fisted Night lord wanna be   

Fear the giant mound of gray.  I always recommend that you buy units only as fast as you finish them. 

But anyway, the paintjob isn't bad.  It's a bit dark, and could definitely use some of those bright lightning bolts to make it pop.

Fear the giant mound of gray. I always recommend that you buy units only as fast as you finish them.

But anyway, the paintjob isn't bad. It's a bit dark, and could definitely use some of those bright lightning bolts to make it pop.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look. The giant mound of grey is actually strangly motivating, I need to get some models done before my wife realises how much I have spent on my toysno.gif

I'm not sure if the paint job is too dark or not I tried lighter and didnt like the results, just didnt say "midnight clad enought to me. Its also possible that my very third rate photography skills are responsible for making them look darker than they are. Thank you for offering your opinion I asked for Comments and constructive crit and you did just that.

so now I have my first claw of ten ccw dudes mostly made and I have a day off work on friday so I'll try to take some better photos of them then in the meanwhile two of them that I mocked up last week:

The champion demonstating one of his fav tactics, decapitating an enemy and then throwing his grenade filled head back to his unfortunate buddys.

022NL csm champion

And a chap all eager to get to grips with his foe.

NL csm2

Hopefully I have managed to get the images to apper in the post rather that as links now...

These two still have some finishing up to do at the point the photo was taken, things like a sling for ccw dude's bolter a bit of greens stuffing to suggest the neck stump in the helmet and deciding which way the champion should be looking.

to the right as he is now?

to the left sizing up a potential target for his nasty gift?

or down a bit concentrating on what he is doing?

As always comments and criticism welcome.

Edit: spotted glaring spelling mistake felt the need to correct

The skull bomb is...disturbing. Sadistic, twisted, unnecessarily vindictive and perversely comical.

That's pretty much Night Lords in a nutshell, so kudos.

As for the nader's head pose, I think down would look best...'cept maybe not with that wingy head. Down is an awkward angle with that huge of a crown. But anyway, right or left will make him look like a generic bolter marine at a glance, and draw away from the macabre joke of the model. I think he should look as amused at the idea as anyone, so yeah, looking down.

Ok its Friday and I have mostly finished 2nd Claw (my chosen are 1st claw) and as promised I've once more brought my bad photography skills to the party.

So first up the champion now looking down:

NL Champion (now looking down)

I like him a bit more now thanks Firepower great suggestion.

Now a bunch of his minions:

NL CCW marine 6

NL CCW marine 5

NL CCW marine 4

NL CCW marine 3

NL CCW marine 2

002NL CCW marine 1

NL csm2 altimage1

The squad also has two melta gunners, after all if one is good two must be better.

melta guy 1 I like to think that he is about to chuk that grenade into the tank he has just melted a hole in, you know just to be sure.

NL melta marine 1

Melta guy 2 is just in a hurry to melt some stuff before his brothers have chopped them all up.

NL melta marine 2

Half the squad is now in primer and I'll be getting some paint on them soon I hope.

Over the course of this week I have learned some things:

1: Adding greenstuff detail isnt as easy as I thought and there is no way my phone will be ringing because GW needs a new sculpter.

2: Sharp knives make many things easier. 

3: In this hobby repeatabillity is every thing.

4: After many hours of screwing up, swearing and being on the point of giving up it is well worth having a look at the tutorial section of B&C, there are lots of clever people out there who are willing to show you how to do the previously impossible thing. 

5: Dont get carried away when you finally manage to do something and rush off to proudly show your wife. Having someone peer at the results of your labour and then say "Oh thats nice, I thought you were doing somthing a bit more impressive for the last 2hours" is deflating to say the least. 

Well time for a small update. 

As I had the day off work today I managed to get a bit done.

the first member of 2nd claw to get paint:

1st Csm in paint alt veiw

1st Csm in paint alt veiw

1st Csm in paint

I'm mostly happy with him, following previous comments I've tried a slightly lighter colour by adding another stage of highlights.

The second member of 2nd claw in paint:

2nd Csm in paint alt veiw

2nd Csm in paint

I'm not as content with him, there are things that could/should be better I rushed things a bit and I think some of the blending is a bit clumsy still I guess it'll pass muster on the tabletop.

The last terminator is now done too:

Reaper A/C Terminator

Finally my first attempt at adding greenstuff sculpted detail:

csm with green stuffed legs

The blobby green things on his legs are meant to be bat wings...
I'm hoping that I can rescue things a bit with paint, I was worried that he was looking a bit too "loyalist" so thought how hard can it be to put some bat wings on his greeves? the answer was a damned sight harder that I thought. Still with practice I hope to get a bit closer to competance.

Sadly real life has got in the way of progress this week, but I have managed to do a bit more:

the 3rd CSM to see paint

and the 4th:

Any comments very welcome.

Once again this week has seen me learning.

1, Dan the demon... simply amazing I urge anyone who hasnt seen his work to seek it out. 45 pages of unending inspiration, just brilliant.

2, I need to make a plan for what this force will end up looking like.

3, The Soul Hunter trilogy has changed the landscape for Night Lord forces, I'm not as immune to it as I thought. 

4, Cheap brushes are a waste of money, one good brush is worth any number of crappy ones.

5, Hobbies are more fun than earning the money to persue the hobbies.   

• 2 weeks later...

So all has been a bit quiet on the 21st front of late, but I have been keeping on keeping on.  

So:

First off the Champion,

Skull bomb champion

Skull bomb Champion Alt veiw

After a lot of umming and ahhing I settled on Imperial fists as the victim for a cople of reasons.1. Given the history between Curze and Dorn I'm guessing the sons of the Haunter have a special hatred for the sons of Dorn.2. The yellow contrasts nicely with dark blue and makes the whole skull bomb stand out a bit. 3. James the guy that runs my Local GW store plays Imperial Fists...   
and the rest of his squad now in paint.

CCW CSM

CCW CSM

Melta CSM

Bolter & Chainsword

Melta CSM2

This means one claw done.

!st claw

and I've started on my Raptor lord

Raptor lord WIP

Raptor lord WIP

I still have some finishing up to do on him and as I'm sure you can see I've not done his jump pack yet.

So a bit more progress and I now have a plan...

I'm aiming to enter the Throne of skulls event at the end of july this means I need 1500pts of Nightlords done by then.

My list is as follows

1 Lord with jump pack and lightning claws. (now done see below)

10 CSM's with close combat weapons and 2 melta guns (done see above)

9 CSM's with CCW and flamer (mocked up but thats all folks)

10 CSM's with heavy bolter and plasma gun (still a theoretical construct)

5 Raptors (still on sprues)

5 Terminators (done see above but subject to change now I have some Cataphractii)

5 Havocs with 2 auto cannons and 2 missile launchers (got the bits and a Champion mocked up but no more than that)

1 Predator (demios pattern still in forge words moulds!)

1 Landraider (also yet to buy)

1 deamon prince just in case...(also still to buy)

So I have 13ish weeks to buy/paint/make most of this list and just to add spice I havn't played a game of 40K since it was called Rogue trader and the army lists were pages cut out of White Dwarf! So in all honesty I dont know if my list is going to be even close to competative, that said it was written to fit a thematic vision of the battered and frayed remnents of the 8th so no deamonic stuff, I'm hoping to never roll up a 65-66 on the boon table and so on. I will post my background/fluff soon to introduce the dramatis personae of the XXI and hopefull better illustrate what I mean by a thematic vision, but I think enough words for now.

My Raptor Lord.

Raptor lord

Raptor lord

Raptor lord

And lastly with his giant space cat of doom, err or somthing like that.

Raptor lord (with giant chaos space cat)

As always any comments very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

First off thank you Battle Brother Ludovic very kind.

now on to an update:

the mocked up 2nd squad.

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

5th claw CSM

champion 2

The Champion I'm not sure about, he just doesnt fit with the rest of his chaps some how. The more I look at him the more I think he looks like more of a Havok...  

In truth a few of these chaps are already in paint but I havnt quite got the round to it to take photos and I got a bit distracted this week and now have 10 Dark angel tacticals and 3 raven wing bikes.  

Hi Possum!

I can't believe I've missed this plog up until now! When you mentioned that you'd have to step up your game to keep up with DarkVen, I knew I'd found a kindred Nightlord spirit.

As for your work, you're showing some hella creativity so far and your painting is clean and effective. The helmet grenade is absolute sadistic genious, especially with your added bonus of spiting the owner of your FLGS. Extra spite makes it feel all the more Nightlordy. Plus I was starting to think I was the only person who still used the awesome old Nightlords' bat helmets.

If I had a single criticism, it would be that your chosen flesh tones are pretty ruddy for a race of people that hail from a nightbound planet. Maybe an extra, whiter highlight to pale it up a bit? I *really* loathe unhelmeted space marine heads, but that is more a matter of my own warped personal preference.

If you're still having trouble with sculpting batwings, I've found a good beginner's trick is to press a little (dime-sized) blop of greenstuff onto one of those resin NL shoulderpads. Then when you pull it off, you have winged skull in reverse, which gives a pretty good template to work off of, at about the correct size.

Come check out my NL WiPlog if you have a free bit. I'll totally be following yours.

Hi.

Flint 13 nice to have you on board! I like where you are going with your N.L.s. Keep on.

I have now finished my second claw (5th claw technically but thats just for fluffy reasons)

CSM's from 2nd Claw in paint

Champion from 2nd claw

Champion from 2nd claw

Those that have been following along will note that I've changed my mind on the Champion sorry there are no real wips of him but he just sort of happened and I forgot to take photos...

but this means that I have now reached a sort of milestone 1000pts of Night Lords Woo Hoo

1000pts of night lords

Now not to get too carried away I have no intention of fielding this force but its nice to know that I could if i wanted to.

This week I have been pondering a universal truth. The universe is constantly expanding, therefore it make sense that matter is being constantly created but why oh why has the universe chosen to creat matter as mould lines on my minis? It seems to be uniportant that I spend hours scraping the damn things off there are always more! and i swear some of them only appear when in the presance of paint!      

Hi every one,

I've not got any model updates as following an unfortunate sword based incident last weekend I am temporarily reduced to only having one working arm! Thankfully everything seems to be healing up and it is now only very painfull as opposed to almost unbearably so and I should regain use of my right arm in a few weeks and full strength in a couple of months or so.  

A while back I promised some fluff so here goes, I apologise in advance for any spelling or grammer errors, please be gentle I'm typing this one handed...  

Demi Lancer Hort Vessaal was not a happy man. 8 hours ago the Orbital auspex had registered a meteor shower, 2 minuets after that the long range had gone dead 5minutes later the orbital defence grid started reporting cascading system glithes. Then the planetary defence vox net shut down, next the millitary comms grid went silent.

Then things started to get really bad all defence cogitator banks locked themselves in a system purge loop, blurts of scrap code infected all millitary systems. Aircraft control systems started to make their own choices about what actions they would perform, several of the C.A.P. flights had just dissapeared and only the crews that had the forsight to bail out had survived. The machine spirits seemed to be in open rebellion.

Then the civil pict feed had started brobcasting a constant wailing scream accompined by what looked like pits full of twitching lumps of meat. But Hort knew those images didnt show artfully aranged slabs of grox meat made by a picter productions props deptment, and the bulidings in the background where undoubtably factorum from Wayland primaris forge on the 2nd continent. Against this background Master of Lances Fellorix expected him to reestablish contact with Millcomm and coordinate "the stratigic response".  What Fellorix actually ment Hort reflected was I'm terrified, I dont understand whats happening and I want to be sure to have my arse well covered on the off chance that we come out of this and someone comes asking questions about what we did.

Just then the scream stopped, some how the silence was worse. The pict feed hashed out in a harsh bust of static before resolving into a pair of glowing red eyes set in midnight blue.  Then in a sibbelent whisper "People of Wayland my name is Demiter and I would like to thank you on behalf of the 21st Cohort, you industrius efforts see us well supplied and my brothers well amused at the lovely way you scream and offer prayers of deliverance to a rotting false idol who denied divinty and burnt worlds for their worship" there was a pause followed by a soft chuckle "but of course some of you are dissapointed you missed out, we will return one night and come for you... please make every effort to defend yourself, the futillity makes the finall exruciating end that bit more piquant." the screen blanked.        

• 1 month later...

Oh my it has been quite sometime hasn't it?

But my arm has healed up nicely, I now just have another interesting scar to add to my collection (one of the side affects of spending every possible weekend playing war on reconstructed 15thCentury/Roman/17thC/18thC battle fields).

But I've now entered the ETL II and have a bunch of pent up hobby-ness to work out so.

My MKIIB Landraider for the vow:

Land raider

Just as a note of warning the forge world land raider side doors don't fit the MK2B sponsons and the Chaos track set proved to be a less than perfect fit that said the 2B is at least 70% cooler than the standard Landraider and went together with only a minimum of swearing whistlingW.gif
Also for my ETL one squad of havocs:

havok claw

As you may note I have recycled the champion that was planned for 5th claw I think he fits in better with the havocs, which is nice. I have included him again really just to prove that I'm not trying to pull a fast one on my vow by entering dudes that have already been painted.
a few closer images of the Havocs:

A/C Havoc 1

A/C Havoc 2

Missile Havoc 1

Missile Havoc 2

At the moment my favourite is the A/C Havoc with the bat head, he just seems a bit more menacing to me.
Any comments and Criticisms are very welcome.
Thanks for reading along now I have to paint these guys (and tank) then I have 10 more CSM's and 5 Raptors to do for my vow.
Who knows I might just do it and still get the predator bought, made and painted in time for Throne of Skulls...

Archived