Bat-Rep DA vs DA 1000pts

[TA]Typher

Greatings Brothers,

Ok... I played two games last friday. I've already posted my battle vs the Tau. I had used MSPaint to diagram it, but with some suggestions from you guys I've upgraded to Vassel. It's a little more laborious, but it looks nice. I didn't add a key to the actual pics, because it should be pretty self explanatory. I did however ad a turn counter in the upper right hand side.

Ok..

This was my third game I've played, so it wasn't perfect. In fact out of the two games I played this one wasn't as dynamic as the Tau battle, but with the idea of using vassal I thought I'd toss it on the forums anyway. Consider it a test run. My opponent was also very new to 6th edition and was a younger player. Bear with me. He also played Dark Angels, but in my over active imagination pictured him as some evil traitor astartes.

My List. (same as my game vs Tau)

Lvl 1 Lib: Eschiel - Term Armor, F. Staff

5x DW Knights

10x Tac Marines - Missiles Launcher, Plasma Gun

10x Tac Marines - Missile Launcher, Melta

Ven Dread (Brother-Dreadnought Nathanial) - Ass Cannon, Hvy Flamer

EDIT: Forgot to add these 2x Speeder Typhoons, Multi-Melta

His List

Master - P.Sword

5x Tac Marines

10xTac Marines - Plasma Cannon

Ven Dread - Ass Cannon, Drop Pod

5x Term Unit - Ass Cannon

5x Term Unit - Ass Cannon

As we started spreading out our Armies I noticed that he didn't seem to have that many troops. After checking his point values on my phone (BattleScribe rocks) I noticed that he was shy points. He thanked me and Ended up adding 5 more tac marines and a Plasma Cannon. He did his math wrong using pencil and paper.

We rolled for the mission with two objectives worth 3 points each (I don't have my book handy, so I forget what it's called.).

Deployment was Vanguard Strike.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/DAvDADeploy_zps07692c8b.jpg

Deployment

The X's are the objectives.

I held my DW Knights with my Librarian in Reserve.

He Held his two units of Terms and the Dread in a Pod in reserve.

Hopefully you can tell what is what with vassal. His Master was attached to his 5man tac unit.

We rolled and I got first turn.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/1DA0_zps5d06bd78.jpg

DA Turn 1

My Speeders zoomed to the west and launched some missiles at the advancing Traitor Marines, killing one unlucky git.

Both Tac units and Brother-Dreadnought Nathanial moved forward.

After my game with the space Wolves I've been semi-paranoid about deep striking/Drop pod units. I know the capabilities of two Term units and a dread so I chose to be over cautious and DS'd my Knights in my own deployment.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/1DA1_zpsfe66e44e.jpg

Traitor Marines Turn 1

On his turn his tac marines moved up toward his objective. His plasma cannon shot at Nathanial, but missed.

Pretty basic.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/2DA1_zps05d3da77.jpg

DA Turn 2

Without the assault of the enemy terminators the round was more of the same.

All my army moved up. One of my Tac squads too possession of my objective.

The Raven Wing Speeders shot at and killed a few marines.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/2DA2_zps3e809852.jpg

Traitor Marines Turn 2

The Traitor Plasma Cannon shot hitting Brother Nathainal, but he spin as the miniature star struck, causing it to fail to penetrate.

Behind my lines both terminator units materialized. The first shot into one of the tac units, killing several of the loyal Angels.

the Second Terminator unit shot at the DW Knights. With stormshield locked together the bolts found no purchase.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/3DA2_zpsdd0cd283.jpg

DA Turn 3

With gritted teeth the Dark Angels responded to the vile traitors.

Both tac units, Borther Nathanial and both speeders launched a devastating barrage into one of the Term units killing 2.

Librarian Eschiel led his Deathwing Knights into combat with the 2nd terminator units. With charged maces they killed 4, while only losing 1 of their number in return. Despite the carnage the traitors held fast.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/3DA3_zps34f7fda7.jpg

Traitor Turn 3

The Enemies Plasma Cannon fired again, but this time, with Brother Nathanial back turned he took a glancing hit.

The still unengaged Enemy Terminator unit charged my tac unit. Overwatch fire shot forth, killing one of the charging behemoths. (I was amazed too)

In close combat the Tac marines killed another Terminator, but lost two in return. With the Lion's name on their lips they stood their ground.

Combat between the other Terminators and Brother-Librarian Escheil's unit ended as expected. The smoking corpse of the vile traitor terminator slumped slowly to the ground at his feet. Winning me first blood.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/4DA3_zps48403de9.jpg

DA Turn 4

With my deployment area almost secure my speeders focused on the enemy tac units again. Missile streaked through the air, killing one of the enemies.

Unable to charge due to positioning the Knights watch as the last traitor Term was swarmed and killed by the Dark Angels Tac unit.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/4DA4_zps27b884fe.jpg

Traitor Turn 4

It struck the ground like a meteor, barely missing the tac unit holding my objective. Out of the Pod the husk of a traitor Dreadnought emerged. Raking fire onto my tac marines, 2 fell to the blighted bolts.

The plasma cannon reached out again hitting brother Nathanial, but failing to pen.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/5DA4_zps7c0645d6.jpg

DA Turn 5

Advancing forward Nathanial finally unleashed his wrath on the tac unit that had repeatedly fired at him, but was unable to kill only of the cowering marines.

The enemy Dreadnought was met with a devastating torrent of fire from both tac units and the speeders. It exploded in a giant fireball. (My plasma Marine killed himself while firing :( )

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/5DA5_zpsfa2021bf.jpg

Traitor Turn 5

Again the enemies plasma cannon bellowed out, but again Brother Nathanial resisted it's molten touch.

With that the game was over. Hand shaken.

DA 4

Traitors 3

All and all it was a long game. Both of us re-checking rules. It was a fun game, but not as fulfilling as a game against a non-DA player.

Anyway That was my Vassal Batrep.

What do you think? was it clear enough? How was vassal? Better than MSPaint?

****** Mission Log ******

The blinding aura from Eschiel's hand dimmed as the traitor Terminator slumped to the ground, smoke still coming from the massive hole in the side of his head. The once loyalist marine inside the thick ceramite was now a burn corpse. Sent on his way to the new Gods that he had turned to.

The Fire Skulls they were called now. Wretched and twisted, the once loyalist Imperial Astartes had somehow changed overnight. A dozen worlds had fallen to them in as many weeks. Each was left a chard wreck. That rampage was ending now.

Light and pressure struck, the taciturn Librarian from behind. He didn't need to turn to see what had happened. His warpsight allowing him to sense the ripples of the dead marine in the enemy Dreadnought as it was ripped into the warp.

"Brother Librarian The objective is secure", Came a Sergeant's report on the comm channel.

Several meters away the rage in Brother-Dreadnough Nathainial's Assault Cannon was unleashed at the distant enemies.

Turning, Eschiel could see the lumbering juggernaught pressing forward toward the second objective. With the comms channel open he whispered one word, "Advance".

******* End Log *********

p.s.

I didn't proof read this. (you can tell)

EDIT: Fixed list mistake.

Well played! Seems like your opponent has yet to learn the subtleties of DSing Termies, which is surprisingly hard to manage correctly IMO. Good call on castling up I think, which helped encourage that.

You say in your opponent's first turn that both tac squads advanced... and then shot a Plasma Cannon shot at the Dreadnought. This is actually illegal, as if the squad moved, the PC can't fire, because it's a Blast weapon and therefore cannot fire snap shots. On the other hand I may have misunderstood, so if so ignore me!

Well played! Seems like your opponent has yet to learn the subtleties of DSing Termies, which is surprisingly hard to manage correctly IMO. Good call on castling up I think, which helped encourage that.

You say in your opponent's first turn that both tac squads advanced... and then shot a Plasma Cannon shot at the Dreadnought. This is actually illegal, as if the squad moved, the PC can't fire, because it's a Blast weapon and therefore cannot fire snap shots. On the other hand I may have misunderstood, so if so ignore me!

Nope you are correct in retrospect. It really didn't matter though, it was seemingly useless throughout the game.

good batrep 

just one thing, shouldnt his podded dread come down turn 1 , due to droppod assault? not on turn 4...

and  couldnt find speeders in either list...

You are right about the speeder. I totally forgot to add them to my list. Oops. I fixed it.

The Dreadnought doesn't have "Deathwing Assault", so unless I'm missing something it has to follow the normal reserve rules.

good batrep 

just one thing, shouldnt his podded dread come down turn 1 , due to droppod assault? not on turn 4...

You are right about the speeder. I totally forgot to add them to my list. Oops. I fixed it.

The Dreadnought doesn't have "Deathwing Assault", so unless I'm missing something it has to follow the normal reserve rules.

By virtue of taking a Drop Pod as a DT it gains Drop Pod Aassault, in which 50% of your drop pods come down on T1.

good batrep 

By virtue of taking a Drop Pod as a DT it gains Drop Pod Aassault, in which 50% of your drop pods come down on T1.

I just rechecked and you are correct! Where were you last friday when us nubs were playing? Lol.

In hindsight I don't think it would have made a game changing difference.

good batrep 

I just rechecked and you are correct! Where were you last friday when us nubs were playing? Lol.

In hindsight I don't think it would have made a game changing difference.

Hahahaha. Nah, probably not. It'll always take a while to get things down - I'm still constantly getting stuff wrong or forgetting things.

Nice work brother; honours for you.

I personally think the shooty terminators would've been more successful DS'ing much further away, and only to benefit from twin-linked weapons. After that, march and shoot, march and shoot. To arrive so close to the Deathwing Knights and rapid fire range is inviting disaster, which is what subsequently occured. Also, the Typhoon's need to die first. ;)

On another note, can anyone tell me how/where to make those action pictures?

Many thanks.

Many thanks.

Vassal with the 40k Mod. Its a nifty program that lets you play board games online. Or makes a super awesome bat rep picture!

Also I'm probably going to steal this idea until all my stuff is painted tongue.png

Many thanks.

Vassal with the 40k Mod. Its a nifty program that lets you play board games online. Or makes a super awesome bat rep picture!

Also I'm probably going to steal this idea until all my stuff is painted tongue.png

Thank you!

How I made this report. Broken down for window lickers like me :)

I didn't see a screenshot option in the vassal controls, and trying to spread the map window so it covers your whole screen isn't perfect.

SO.. ..

What I did was I made the pic as large as I wanted it for the Batrep, so I wouldn't have to resize it later (Basically not a full screen).

then I copied the screen by clicking ALT + Prt Scr. This copies your screen. Then opening MSPaint I pasted it, by ALT + V

From there you select the just the map pic, excluding all the other parts of the program and copy it again (ALT+C).

Open a new project in MSPaint and past it (ALT+V again). Save it as something you'll recognize as whatever turn the pic is.

I then upload the pics to photobucket. There are a lot of image hosters out there, but I happen to use photobucket.

And that's it. Pretty simple.

As we started spreading out our Armies I noticed that he didn't seem to have that many troops. After checking his point values on my phone (BattleScribe rocks) I noticed that he was shy points. He thanked me and Ended up adding 5 more tac marines and a Plasma Cannon. He did his math wrong using pencil and paper.

Props again for a victory with fair play! I will also join everyone else in saying the presentation of this batrep was most excellent. smile.png

Archived