Hi all,

I don't know if you guys have had as many problems as I've had with removing paint from models, but I finally came up with what seems to be a workable solution and avoids using harsh paint-strippers.

I've written an update about the process on my blog in case it's useful to anyone:

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I stand behind nothing but Dettol Apple Flavoured Multi Action cleaner, slower than others (takes about 24-36hours) but does absolutely no damage on plastic or metal (never dunked finecast/resi) even after a week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay,i know people have had very good results with Dettol,but its not available in the US,what would be the absolute equivilent to it? I heard Hydrogen peroxide is the same,but haven't heard o fanyone using THAT to strip paint off miniatures

Okay,i know people have had very good results with Dettol,but its not available in the US,what would be the absolute equivilent to it? I heard Hydrogen peroxide is the same,but haven't heard o fanyone using THAT to strip paint off miniatures

For stripping plastic? I've heard rave reviews about something called Simple Green... ;)

I use Simple Green in Canada, I get it at Canadian Tire and I do believe you can get it at Walmart also. After a 24 hour nondilluted soak paint comes off fairly well, thou I found thou quiet abit of scrubbing was need with it. Thou it is atleast environmentally friendly.

Hiya

I'm not sure what the US equivalent of Dettol is, but one thing I can say with absolute certainty is that it's not Hydrogen Peroxide. 

You *can* get Dettol in the US (for example: http://www.amazon.com/Dettol-Antiseptic-Liquid-750ml-England/dp/B000JWK4H8 ) but the price being quoted there is 4- to 6-times the UK price.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

How impatient is impatient? At the end of the day all of the products mentioned above require soaking for at least 24 hours. You could probably do better with metal models and harsher products (from your local DIY store) but for plastic you need something more gentle to avoid damaging the model itself.

Other than "take the $1 bill back out of their boots and use it (and a whole bunch of its friends) to buy new minis" I don't know of a way of speeding any of this up safely. smile.png

I just put a couple of 1$ bills in their boots. They strip great.

In all seriousness, what if I am impatient for the stripping of paint. What do I use?

I don't see it right off but there was a thread up around Christmas time about using sonic cleaners.

• 3 months later...

This stuff right here. You can find it in the automotive section of your local Walmart:

gallery_23369_1806_576529.jpg

It's the bomb, and I've used it on metals, plastics, and Forgeworld resin with no issues. One Finecast model got a little soft after soaking for more than a day, but it hardened back up after I removed it and let it dry. The paint rinses right off with a little water and a soft toothbrush.

Valerian

Personally I use acetone free nail polish from superdrug, which takes most of the paint off after about 15 mins immersion, scrubbing at it with an old toothbrush. Don't leave it for extended periods of time though (like a week) as you lose some of the plastic detail. Works fine for metal and plastic, yet to test fine cast.

Hope his helps.

There's a great article over on Dakka about this topic:

www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

The US equivalent of Fairy Power Spray is Dawn Power Disolver, sold at Walmart and Home Home Depot.

I had mixed results with Simple Green on plastic minis so I'm going to give Power Disolver a try.

I've also heard good things about Super Clean.

• 2 months later...
I used power dissolver recently. Dumped it in a leftover food tub and did two rounds of overnight soaking. Most of the paint came off with a rinse, a light scrub with a toothbrush got the rest. The stuff was kind of icky looking after the first round, but the second round worked just as well. It doesn't seem to lose potency, at least not in two uses. I did 25 marines, 5 scouts, 5 terminators, and 3 bikes. Probably could have done a 3rd batch with it if I had more minis to strip.

• 4 weeks later...

I has some success in the past with using Acetone free nail polish remover on plastics, No acetone to ruin the detail. works just as well as acetone polish on plastics. Only problems I had in the past is that it takes a long time waiting before you can attempt to remove the paint and maybe because of my in experiecne with stripping paint I often get that little bit of slime stuck in detail that takes an age to remove.

I use Simple Green in Canada, I get it at Canadian Tire and I do believe you can get it at Walmart also. After a 24 hour nondilluted soak paint comes off fairly well, thou I found thou quiet abit of scrubbing was need with it. Thou it is atleast environmentally friendly.

Yep the big $10 bottle of Simple Green.  About the only thing I walk into Walmart for these days.  Worked great on darn near every second handle model I've gotten whether plastic or metal.  Only time it didn't get everything off after 24h and a wire brush was some termies I got online.  But the number of paint layers on those things were a tale in themselves.

Archived