Sentinels: 2024! Technically my first Intercessor...

I don't think it's too narrow... It just makes it look sleeker and faster. The way in which the wings on the statuary are arranged also enhances the sense of speed. This thing is really coming together. What bits did you use for that reliquary? Obviously some DA stuff, but what exactly? I can't make it all out. 

I don't think it's too narrow... It just makes it look sleeker and faster. The way in which the wings on the statuary are arranged also enhances the sense of speed. This thing is really coming together. What bits did you use for that reliquary? Obviously some DA stuff, but what exactly? I can't make it all out. 

Ah, I can't take much credit for the reliquary! The whole thing is available in the Ravenwing Black Knight / Command Squad box (a box I highly recommend). On a Ravenwing bike though, the reliquary sits much lower behind the rider (the halo would be right behind the rider's head, but a quick eyeball of it told me that unless the rider was sitting facing perfectly straight forward, there would be some collision between backpack and halo).

Also, pictureless update: did a bit of dry-fitting after taking those photos. Looks like my plan to have a wrist-mounted grav pistol might not pan out, as the outrider's fairing gets in the way. Though, mechanically-speaking, the fairing looks like it pivots on the same axis as, and along with, the handlebars; which means that cutting out some of the handguard may actually be a practical solution, both in-universe and modelling-wise. I'm going to think on it some more.

I'd vote to mod the fairing. I think that's a good and realistic solution. 

As for the Ravenwing kit, I just might have to do that. I don't play DA but I bought the RW box with bikes and a speeder and I use the bits a lot. My bikers all have the wings on back and the winged fairing on front. The newer Dark Vengeance style bikes look different, but maybe I could use them for character models (I'd love to get a biker chaplain, librarian, etc. some day) and then use the bits for all kinds of stuff. Good call! 

I'd vote to mod the fairing. I think that's a good and realistic solution. 

I haven't ruled out modding the fairing yet, but I had a bit of a think earlier, and I'm considering an alternative...

An over-the-shoulder backpack mount!

This would also give rise to the way Huoka would fight while dismounted; he would lift the Iron Halo from it's mount, using it in tandem with his sword as a shield and as a weapon itself a la the disks in Tron, all the while thought-firing the grav pistol and cutting down anything foolish enough to approach him.

I'll think on it some more though! I do like that the wrist-mounted pistol would give him a more 'natural' upper body profile.

Hope you all like updates!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_09.jpg

Fairly self-explanatory, this one. The pistol and the hand need a bit more dry-fitting before I finalise them (gut says the pistol will be slightly more forward-oriented).

Some upper body work next.

Cool. Haven´t you invented a chapter symbol for your fgreat army? A Sentinel Chapter is mentioned in the great "Deathwatch"-short-story by The Black Library. Have you seen(read it?

Thanks!

I have not read that short story! However, as far as official canon goes, I'm aware of the definite existence of a Chapter called the Sentinels...

They were one of the Chapters involved in the Abyssal Crusade, and became the Corpus Brethren. I found out about the official version long after I started on my Chapter (that fluff is from the most recent Codex: Chaos Space Marines), so I added an entry in my Chapter's timeline (in an IA that no one but me has seen yet) to point out that, owing to the monolithic bureaucracy of the Imperium, for a period of time, there really were two Chapters called the Sentinels serving the Imperium... Until they came across each other. They quickly came to blows, and my Sentinels outnumbered them, hounding them for a little while... Before notifying the Inquisition and the High Lords, causing the other Sentinels to come under investigation as per the fluff. Effectively, my Sentinels are responsible for sending the other Sentinels on the Abyssal Crusade, and their subsequent corruption by Chaos.

As for Chapter symbol, owing to a very important event in their early history (again, in an IA that no one but me has seen!), the Sentinels have never had one, and chose not to adopt one. In a nutshell, the very first major conflict the Sentinels were involved in (which served to secure their homeworld for them) saw the Chapter lose almost half their battle-brothers. The survivors could not fathom adopting a Chapter symbol after so many had died without one, and thus continue to leave the appropriate pauldron blank to honour their loss.

So... The bike fairing looks perfect to me but now I'm all distracted. Where is this secret IA, brother? Are you planning on letting us have a go at some point? Also, are you popping it into our patented Disruptibbs Pattern format yet? :smile.:

At some point, yes! The issue is that if I'm at home... I'd rather be working on my models. Which means that I write that stuff up while I'm at work, between tasks and during quiet periods. And it's been pretty busy lately! Mind you, I've also been hitting a few walls on writing it up, which I guess is what our +LA+ forum is for... And trust me, the commentary of the man who came up with the Eagle Eyes will very much be appreciated (though let's wait till you're done with the Fanthology, hmm?).

And of course I will! Can't very well have something with my name in it and not use it!

Anyway, update!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_10.jpg

Dry-fitting of control handle, arm, and pistol. The blu-tac adds a tiny bit of space, so I'll need to be careful when I glue it together, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out as of these photos. Once I stick these parts together, I think I'll have completed the most fiddly parts of the model... Emphasis on 'I think'.

So, wrist-mounted plus modded fairing: yea or nay?

Not that voting nay at this point would change much... :tongue.:

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, apologies for not updating in almost two months; I got heavily sidetracked by Payday 2. I may get heavily sidetracked again when Wasteland 2 hits (though I doubt it'll be as much of a distraction, since I don't need to keep up with anyone in that game).

Rest assured, Huoka has not fallen by the wayside (though I may need to spend a little time getting back into the swing of things).

I shall return soon with an update.

• 4 months later...

Right, so...

First, I'm still here!

Second, nothing much has happened on the hobby side of things since that last post. I blame Warlords of Draenor.

Third, I'm going to get going on this because four months is a bit much to not have done anything 40k-related!

It may have taken a week, but have an update!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_11.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how everything's turning out so far, so at least I can safely say that six months without painting still comes back pretty quickly.

I'm going to finish up the legs as soon as I decide on how I want to paint the wings on the greaves; either gold claw and arm with white feathers, or straight gold everything. Probably the latter, given that the rest of the fabric on the legs is going to be white.

• 2 weeks later...

Really busy week, but I got something done at least!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_14.jpg

Huoka's reliquary has his own personal heraldry on it. I think it looks enough like what I want it to be that you can tell it's a stylised flame, but just in case... It's a stylised flame. The astutely multilingual amongst you might have noticed that 'Huoka' is made up of huo (Mandarin for 'fire' in the burning sense) and ka (Japanese for 'fire' in the elemental sense).

Thanks! I do actually have a 4-day weekend at the end of this week, but there's various things going on. I definitely intend to get cracking on more of Huoka though.

Speaking of finishing this model, can anyone tell me if one of the heads on the left here:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/large/soh-heads.jpg

Is available in the Sons of Horus Legion command set? I see that the standard bearer has it, but I can't tell if it's part of the body or a separate piece.

Well, the weekend was more hectic than I would have liked, so I didn't get as much done in the way of painting as I wanted to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_15.jpg

As I'm fond of saying, progress is progress...

Also, is anyone able to answer my question regarding the Sons of Horus helm above? Google doesn't turn up a whole lot of helpful images...