Sentinels: 2024! Technically my first Intercessor...

Hey everybody! Hopefully someone is still watching this thread (or would just like to chime in, the more the merrier really!)...

I'm sure you're all aware of Primaris Astartes by now. I figured I'd commit to writing all (or at least, as many as possible) of the thought swirling in my head at the moment. I realise there are threads dedicated to it and its impact on the hobby, but none of those threads are going to deal with how exactly these new Astartes (both their rules AND their models) will affect my Space Marines.

So let's talk about this.

I think the new models are fantastic. They look amazing, I like every aspect of them (except for their uniformity; I suspect this will be addressed as the line grows). I also think that anyone who thinks the Primaris Astartes aren't going to replace current Space Marines from a business perspective is being willfully naive. There will come a time when our current models will no longer be available, and you'll have to resort to eBay and the grey market if you want to find them. And that's fine.

Trust me, it took a lot to even say that to myself. But it is fine. We're getting beautiful new models, and all good things come to an end. We'll celebrate the passing of the current line, and we'll occasionally surprise someone by showing up with drop pods full of old Sternguard (remember when we only had basic Veteran squads?)

The fluff isn't great. It's not bad either. It just is, and it's not the most heavy-handed shoehorning I've come across in this shared universe of ours. And frankly, I think having 'new' Astartes is fine. The (potential) conflict between the old guard and the new hotness can be interesting, though I won't be going down this path. My Sentinels? Well, they weren't around for the Great Crusade. They venerate their Primarch as much as any other Chapter does, but the only Sentinel to ever interact with him was probably the very first Chapter Master, and only briefly at that. They're more attached to the Imperium they know than any grandiose vision the Emperor may have had for mankind. But more importantly, the parallels between the advent of the Astartes Primaris and the actual early history of the Sentinels is fortuitous. What history? Yeah, okay, you got me, it doesn't exist outside of a Google doc that I haven't actually touched in a while (and even that is in notated form). But I did write an early history of the Sentinels, and it involved a Warp anomaly and a Company stranded for decades, away from support and allies. They eventually rejoined the Chapter (or rather, the Chapter finally managed to get back to them), and the Chapter as a whole has since been defined by this separation-followed-by-reunion.

That's what the Sentinels are going to see when Guilliman comes around with the Primaris Astartes. Brothers they may have never met before, but brothers nonetheless. They may have less experience (a lot less, in fact), but that doesn't matter. All that matters is their commitment to fighting the good fight, their willingness to lay their lives on the line for the Imperium and the Chapter. Of course the Sentinels will be suspicious at first. Of course there will be a period of turmoil as the Chapter tries to figure out what to do with the Primaris Astartes (a blatant parallel to my own mindset right now). But at the end of the day, new replaces old. Such is the way of things.

Rules-wise, the Primaris Astartes are just slightly tougher, slightly punchier Marines. Still close enough to the basic Marine that I have no issue incorporating them into my existing lists (other than the Intercessor squad being a tad boring). Though the 'bolt rifle' is clearly Cawl pulling a lowest-bidder move in throwing Kraken rounds into boltguns and slapping a new sticker on the side. I already have an idea to use the Intercessor Sergeant's profile to represent a heroic Veteran leading a squad of the new warriors (those of you who remember the most basic statline of the Force Commander from 3rd edition will know that this profile is very similar).

So what does all this mean for the Sentinels? For now, not much. Lance Company is still gong to be bike-heavy. 20+ bikes, if I manage to get through them all (pics to come this week! I have unfortunately been really busy and - less fortunately - drained by work). The Skyhammer Annihilation Force that I was planning to make a part of the Company is likely changing to something else completely (luckily, one of the Assault squads I put together for this formation has no Company markings and are thus free to be used somewhere else). Most importantly, I'm leaving some room in the plan for Primaris bike squads (which I hope we will see sooner rather than later).

Anyway, thanks for reading! Leave your thoughts on... well, any of the above, really. I don't mind. I can almost guarantee some good ideas will come from the conversation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow progress, but I've finished the base for my Storm Talon, as well as the above Storm Raven engine and the second engine as well. Also using Imgur for the first time.

http://i.imgur.com/yOZmxyn.jpg

Still trying to settle on a final scheme for the markings on the Storm Raven itself, and then I have to figure out a way that allows me to place and remove a Dreadnought in it's clamps. Possibly using magnets? Or maybe just a sliding slot system of some kind. Definitely keen to hear peoples' ideas about what can be/has been done on that topic!

Edited by Disruptor_fe404

This looks like it's coming along quite nicely. Good to see you're still alive and kicking, mate. Always loved your Sentinels. 

Thanks mate, much appreciated! Definitely still around, this Company isn't going to build itself!

It's been fairly slow going, but I've also managed to finalise all the models I'm planning build for this full Company project... And it's pretty substantial!

• 4 weeks later...

Remember these guys?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/project_lance_co_13_etl5.jpg

Well, as it turns out, 8th edition has made flamers less useful (useless, in fact) when deep striking. And has vastly reduced the cost of plasma pistols. Which means the five fellows in front are getting revamped. When I'm (re)done, there will be three plasma pistols between the five of them. And the guy pointing will probably end up used elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I, Disruptor_fe404, vow on the honour of the Sentinels to fully paint at least one (1) Tactical Squad with one (1) lascannon & one (1) storm bolter & one (1) chainsword from Codex: Space Marines, and worth 92 points by Saturday 7th January 2018. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Dorn and the Emperor by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

Ave Imperator!

XdiCB97.jpg

• 2 months later...

Lascannon-toter complete!

9P25Feq.jpg

I'm way behind schedule because of Destiny 2... And I'm about to spend two weeks in Japan! I'm going to continue my travel tradition of taking something to paint to every new country I visit though!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

vIEzZ2c.jpg

So a bit of background; technically this rhino was the first non-dreadnought vehicle I ever painted, but I've never really used it on the table, so it's been repurposed as this squad's razorback! With that in mind, I've masked it up to get some stripes going on it.

Great to see you still working on these! At what stage of the project are you now? You must have quite a few models finished, time for a(nother) group photo? :smile.:

I reckon when the razorback is finished, I'll be at about 7% of Lance Company finished? I am actually looking to take a group photo sometime soon, just looking at getting some terrain and a good backdrop together.

Very nice work on your latest squad:thumbsup: I especially like the storm bolter wielding sergeant and the heavy weapon marine with  the shoulder mounted lascannon. All very good work!

Thanks dude!