Sentinels: 2024! Technically my first Intercessor...

Hey folks!

Just figured I'd check in now that I've gotten nice and comfortable in my apartment, and my Diablo III sabbatical is over (and my Transistor sabbatical is coming to a close). What a time to get back into it! ETL vows ending soon, new edition, huge backlog of alerts to get through... Plus big changes on my end, with one of my best mates moving to LA and leaving me the equipment he uses for... shall we say... replication purposes. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with that, and his compressor is LOUD. Like, "people-on-the-floors-above-and-below-me-might-panic"-loud. I'm still mulling over whether I want to spend the time to learn to do all that stuff (he has left me a whole lot of silicon moulds though, so at least I don't have to learn to make those yet).

Many apologies to all for lack of updates (and general absence), especially to Arkhan, since I sort of left him hanging by telling him I would have something he would really like on my WiP page soon and then promptly falling off the face of the planet (well, burning my way through hordes of demons, but I digress).

So! Uh... Updates this weekend most likely. :biggrin.:

Also, I'm kind of amused that Forge World hasn't really released all that much during my two month break.

Oh man, I'd love to have a vacuum casting rig... I would probably use it for getting into scratch-building more than, er... Replication... 

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. Get cracking! I just moved as well and setting up my new hobby room has been fun (I still haven't started even painting my Knight yet, so don't feel too bad). 

Only a whole week overdue... :ohmy.:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_25.jpg

YMMV on the pose, but I've found that the forward lean makes him look much more aggressive and implies a bit more movement.

Some fluff:

Cale is a living reminder of the tragedy that can befall warriors who spend their lives in the Emperor’s service, a constant warning of the costs of faith and loyalty. Perhaps the oldest living Sentinel, Venerable-Paladin Cale, for all his skill and wrath, does not remember much of his life before being interred in his sarcophagus. Indeed, he is even beginning to forget much of his recent exploits. Recently having fallen into a lingering dark mood, he requested that the Master of the Forge remove all the scripts of accolade from his armour, reasoning that if he could not remember those deeds, and since no living Sentinel could, they might as well have never happened. This shocking request was denied, but Cale continued to make the request after every campaign and upon every awakening, culminating in a violent outburst that was only curtailed by the intervention of another entombed brother. With great sorrow, the Master of the Forge acquiesced and ordered the sanitisation of Cale’s armour. Though his armour has honours gained since then, Cale’s personal heraldry is all that remains of the greater part of his once-storied career, for it has become clear that Cale himself remembers less and less with each passing day.

Other stuff from me includes the new rotary tool I bought, which I can currently only think of maybe two things I want to use it on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/rotary_tool.jpg

And a quick photo of the equipment I inherited from my friend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/compressor_chamber.jpg

Compressor on the left, pressure chamber on the right. As mentioned, I know how to use them and how to use the moulds, but it's noisy as hell. Not pictured: all the silicon moulds, grip plates, clamps.

Anyway, with Cale being complete that brings +PENITENT TANGENT+ to a close!

Oh my. That thing's a behemoth. I'd love to make one/know how to do that... It looks like a pressure cooker. :D I'm looking at getting a new compressor for my airbrush. Maybe I should plan for the future and get a massive beast like that. 

So, figured I'd do a quick wrap-up of +PENITENT TANGENT+, mostly involving the little things I learnt during (because you know what happens when you stop learning... You die!).

• Painting interiors is NOT as fast or as easy as I originally thought.
  • The boiling water treatment is glorious on resin; it removes the release agent AND lets you fix warping. Also, you can still use it on parts after you've painted them, which is ace.
  • The boiling water treatment is INglorious on fingers. Cools off fast though!
  • Don’t knock the masking tape; as pointed out, it’s what the pros use.
  • The heat of a thousand burning, hateful suns cannot compare with the magnitude of my hatred for painting Astartes vehicle headlights.

What's next? I'm going to work on whatever takes my fancy. No catching up with backlogs, no feeling bad about leaving things unfinished; my whims shall be my master!

Okay, that could sound pretty sinister if taken out of context...

First thing on the cutting mat involves me getting familiar with using my rotary tool!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/Vigilant_Saviours_banner.jpg

Who are the Vigilant Saviours?
Various individual models I've always felt like doing (indeed, many have been in ziploc bags for a very long time, some have been like that for years!) but never got around to. Unlike +PENITENT TANGENT+, none of these models are currently included in any army list I use (though many are in lists I plan on trying out). In general, this project isn't going to stick to squads all that often, and probably not even sticking to any one Company like I normally would do.

Since I don't have to introduce the idea of one of these projects, let's get right into it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_01.jpg

That's a metal Sicarius and a metal Ultramarine Chapter Champion arm.

Holy crap, detaching that arm from Sicariius was a solid 3 hours of grinding with the rotary tool (I have a suspicion that my rotary tool doesn’t have a very strong motor), as well as abusing my poor fingers with rough metal and applying lots of force on a box-cutter. My hands tell me that it would have been totally worthwhile to fork out the $40 for a Finecast version of Sicarius and sell the metal one. Still, having all parts usable is worth it (sort of).

Next up is removing the actual arm from the shoulder pad, and smoothing off the pauldron details from the sword arm (as some of you know, the Sentinels have no Chapter insignia).

T-T-T-Triple Post!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_02.jpg

Metal shoulder pad isolated, and sword arm cleaned up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_03.jpg

And shoulder pad hollowed out. It's a little larger on the inside than a regular shoulder pad, but I'm pretty happy with it!

Something else I’ve learned: it might be worth investing in a clamp of some sort so you can hold the part being worked on without using your hands: it was jagged in spots, which, when combined with the vibrations it’s being subjected to, means that it can hurt… Also, the friction really does make the metal quite hot.

C-c-c-combo breaker! :lol:

Good progress so far. Ever thought about wearing gloves as you hold the bit that you're subjecting to the rotary tool?

Out of curiosity, who is this guy going to be when he's done?

Edited by Dragonkin Arenis

T-T-T-Triple Post!

LOL. I read in the voice of the announcer from that old Killer Instinct fighting game. I think Arenis should have started his post with "c-c-c-combo breaker!"

Also, seeing your last couple posts reminds me that I don't miss white metal. At all. Really, ever. Lead, maybe, but not pewter. 

T-T-T-Triple Post!

LOL. I read in the voice of the announcer from that old Killer Instinct fighting game. I think Arenis should have started his post with "c-c-c-combo breaker!"

I'm definitely going back to change that now! :lol:

Ever thought about wearing gloves as you hold the bit that you're subjecting to the rotary tool?

Out of curiosity, who is this guy going to be when he's done?

Yeah I considered getting gloves, but figured I'd just tough it out. Plus, I'll just avoid working with metal instead! :biggrin.:

This model is going to be Pursuit-Captain Huoka, Captain of Lance Company.

Also, seeing your last couple posts reminds me that I don't miss white metal. At all. Really, ever. Lead, maybe, but not pewter. 

Yeah, this was a good reminder as to why I avoid metal where I can unless it's absolutely necessary!

A thread full of some very awesome work. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks!

Today's update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_04.jpg

Huoka's grav pistol, using a Sanguinary Guard wrist mount. I haven't cut and rotated the shoulder joint yet though (I intend to use it as a right arm). I also need to dry fit it later with the shoulder pad on the actual arm, I suspect I may have to remove the knob on the back end of the pistol.

The torso I intend to use for Huoka:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_05.jpg

The plasticard strip is a collar, because I love me some collared power armour. Right after taking the photo, I realised I actually wouldn't assemble the torso parts yet, because I need to dry-fit the helm I want to use... and I don't have the helm yet.

As far as the helm goes, I want to use a Sons of Horus helm. I have two options to get the helmet I want:

Option 1: Sons of Horus Command

• Pro: Two unique torsos and legs, which are easy to re-consecrate.
  • Pro: Very unique banner which I'd use if I had it.
  • Pro: Power axes (good examples of hafted power weapons are hard to find).
  • Con: The unhelmed head is part of the torso, as is the hand holding the helmet.
  • Con: Power axes (I wouldn't use the heads those axes come with).

Option 2: Sons of Horus Helmet pack

• Pro: Cheaper!
  • Pro: Two other unique helmets.
  • Con: I wouldn't use the extra copies of each of the unique helmets.
  • Con: Feels like I'm getting a lot less for the money.

What say you all? I'm inclined toward the Command set at the moment.

What about just going on an auction site and looking for the head(s) you want to use for the conversion?

I actually did consider eBay, but I found that the head itself tended to be US$3 to US$7, and shipping to me would cost about as much as the bit itself.

And at that point, I might as well just order from Forge World!

There will be another update in a few hours' time, I've been focused and busy on Huoka!

Update!

The one where I reveal Huoka's preferred form of transport...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_06.jpg

SOMEONE (maybe even sometwo) is going to be pretty happy to see this!

As to why I detached the front spokes from the rest of the bike... The Outrider kit fits over the plastic Scout bike parts and not Marine bike parts, but I want the double-exhausts and bulkier chassis. This does create some issues with the Outrider kit's body kit as well, but that was easier to solve than trying to fit the Outrider front fairing on a regular bike kit.

Something's telling me it's going to kick some serious butt. Just saying...

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I am curious to see how this outrider/regular bike combination will pan out-- keep us updated.

As you wish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_07.jpg

So I still have a few things to do to the ‘infrastructure’ of the body, like a small plastic tab/spar in the area where the front spokes will attach to (for more strength) as well as working on the rear end a bit (that statement’s a dirty joke waiting to happen) so it can properly accommodate the Outrider body kit (that part of the regular bike has a slightly different shape to the Scout bike. Or at least the Ravenwing Black Knight bikes do, I haven’t checked the regular bike kit yet).

Currently, you can also see where my cutting got a little careless and I had to rebuild the surface with plasticard, though the sheet behind the seat is actually because the seat doesn't cover up the gaps in front of the Outrider kit.

I am curious to see how this outrider/regular bike combination will pan out-- keep us updated. 

Same this looks like its heading in the sweet ride direction! 

Sorry Disruptor I've run out of likes :(

Edited by Squeaky

Sorry Disruptor I've run out of likes :sad.:

Don't be! This post is much more deserving of your Like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/vigilant_saviours_08.jpg

The wonders of blu-tac! Torso is a placeholder (obvious to those of you who have been intently following Huoka’s progress), since I don’t want to start on the torso yet (need to dry fit the right arm to both the torso and the handlebars, which will be fiddly since the arm will be cut into three pieces and I have to check for collision with the fairing’s handguards). I was a little worried that the Iron Halo cradle/mount ruins the silhouette of the bike, but after leaving this mockup to sit on my desk for a day, it actually doesn’t bother me (and if you extrapolate the ‘line’ of the front fairing up and back, the cradle/mount only sticks out a little bit). Current worries are whether the bike is too ‘narrow’ (will know for sure once I mockup both the arms onto the model) and whether or not I want to prop up the rear wheel when I base the model (I’m inclined towards yes [ohoho! What a pun!], assuming I don’t prop it up too high).