Sentinels: 2024! Technically my first Intercessor...

The whole squad together looks badass. I think you should take some closer-up pics of the two demi-squads it breaks down into as well as the one larger 'group shot', gives people a better view of how they all mesh together. Well done on getting some cheap storage material, I'm trying to find ways to transport my bikes around at the minute and I refuse to pay ludicrous Battlefoam prices, so will likely be raiding the local computer stores soon :P How'd the game with them go? Are you running them under SM or DW rules?

The Terminators look great together.Had the same problem with my Tartaros plus acouple miscast bolters.

The termies all look sound as a pound, Disruptor_fe404 - and well done on swiping those foam trays. Thoroughly envious.

Thanks gents! I had a couple of bolter miscasts as well actually, but they were easy to fix, and as it turns out I only used one Tigrus storm bolter anyway... But yeah those inner shoulder plates... A couple even came off during the game! Annoying, but easily remedied.

And I fully recommend foam trays!

The whole squad together looks badass. I think you should take some closer-up pics of the two demi-squads it breaks down into as well as the one larger 'group shot', gives people a better view of how they all mesh together. Well done on getting some cheap storage material, I'm trying to find ways to transport my bikes around at the minute and I refuse to pay ludicrous Battlefoam prices, so will likely be raiding the local computer stores soon :tongue.: How'd the game with them go? Are you running them under SM or DW rules?

Sure, I can wrangle another couple of shots of demi-squads together. If you don't get any foam from the computer places, or just don't get enough of them, I also recommend checking into your local hardware store. I bought a toolbox with pick n' pluck foam in it for about NZ$40, and it was just the right size to also take 6 GW trays, so it's a pretty good deal. And if that still doesn't appeal, here in New Zealand we have a chain called Para Rubber that sells all kinds of rubber and plastic products. They carry things like welcome mats and mattress lining and stuff... and sheets of foam of varying texture, size, and... Squishiness? Shock absorption? Whatever, but you can buy those and cut them into the right size too. Around here you can get a square metre at about an inch thick for about three bucks, and a thinner sheet at about a buck fifty (for the 'backing').

I run a pure Deathwing list. Lost my game with them. Funny thing about pure Deathwing lists; they go real well until you have a little bit of bad luck and fail one armour save too many. These ten handsome fellows were definitely kicking up a fuss in the 'Nid half of the table. I deep strike them with Belial (no scatter) and an Epistolary in TDA (always trying for Gate of Infinity with one of the rolls, and falling back on Prescience if I don't get it). They managed to get quite a few kills, and forced the 'Nid player to commit more models than he normally would to his side of the table. The Majestic Twelve (Deus Ex/conspiracy theory reference for you who know what I'm talking about) then split up: 'Belial' charged the Doom of Malantai, the Epistolary charged a brood of Hive Guard to tie them up, and the squad itself went for a Trygon who was by that point crapping itself.

And here's where the bad luck comes in: Belial only caused one wound to the Doom with his thunder hammer, which the Doom saved. The Epistolary didn't do enough to the Hive Guard to cause them to fail their Morale (they're Leadership 6! 6! Come on...) because Shadows of the Warp means he's failing the force weapon check pretty much all the time. And the squad rolled snake eyes on the charge distance against the Trygon.

The next turn saw Belial lose two wounds to the Doom's leeching aura and then get crushed under the weight of the Trygon (literally, he failed his armour save against the Trygon's Hammer of Wrath, which I have to admit was hilarious!), the Terminators lost half their number to the Doom's leeching aura (rolling high isn't always good!), and the Librarian got charged by bonesword/lash whip Warriors, who promptly took him apart since he was all by himself (I was expecting quite a few consolidation moves at the end of my turn you see, which is why I wasn't sweating the Warriors).

All this while the flying Hive Tyrant with Iron Arm flew right past them and used volume of fire to whittle away my backfield scoring unit. It was fun, because there were so many moments where I could have actually just won. I just seem to have terrible luck with the list...

Groupshot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/tart-term-wip15.jpg

Might need to work on my placement when I'm taking photos. Also the shot's not the best, lightbox isn't done yet.

And a quick note for anyone reading this and who might be working with the Tartaros kit: the only issue I had with the models is the inner shoulder pad. On every single Tartaros, I had to trim the inside upper edge of the inner shoulder pad, otherwise it would get in the way of placement and would not sit flush with the shoulder joint.

Anyway, hope everybody enjoys the squad, I'll be taking a break from Terminators for a while and work on the backlog instead. I have something decently cool in mind for the Christmas period, just as a way of motivating myself...

EDIT: Thanks geektom! Pretty high praise from someone who paints as well as you!

This group shot is extra sweet- it really shows off the extra care you put into make each terminator and individual. I will do my best to meet this same standard when I do my first terminator squad- inspiring!

I run a pure Deathwing list. Lost my game with them. Funny thing about pure Deathwing lists; they go real well until you have a little bit of bad luck and fail one armour save too many. These ten handsome fellows were definitely kicking up a fuss in the 'Nid half of the table. I deep strike them with Belial (no scatter) and an Epistolary in TDA (always trying for Gate of Infinity with one of the rolls, and falling back on Prescience if I don't get it). They managed to get quite a few kills, and forced the 'Nid player to commit more models than he normally would to his side of the table. The Majestic Twelve (Deus Ex/conspiracy theory reference for you who know what I'm talking about) then split up: 'Belial' charged the Doom of Malantai, the Epistolary charged a brood of Hive Guard to tie them up, and the squad itself went for a Trygon who was by that point crapping itself.

And here's where the bad luck comes in: Belial only caused one wound to the Doom with his thunder hammer, which the Doom saved. The Epistolary didn't do enough to the Hive Guard to cause them to fail their Morale (they're Leadership 6! 6! Come on...) because Shadows of the Warp means he's failing the force weapon check pretty much all the time. And the squad rolled snake eyes on the charge distance against the Trygon.

The next turn saw Belial lose two wounds to the Doom's leeching aura and then get crushed under the weight of the Trygon (literally, he failed his armour save against the Trygon's Hammer of Wrath, which I have to admit was hilarious!), the Terminators lost half their number to the Doom's leeching aura (rolling high isn't always good!), and the Librarian got charged by bonesword/lash whip Warriors, who promptly took him apart since he was all by himself (I was expecting quite a few consolidation moves at the end of my turn you see, which is why I wasn't sweating the Warriors).

All this while the flying Hive Tyrant with Iron Arm flew right past them and used volume of fire to whittle away my backfield scoring unit. It was fun, because there were so many moments where I could have actually just won. I just seem to have terrible luck with the list...

Commiserations on that one. I've played a fair few games now against Terminator-heavy armies and I gotta say Deathwing is not an easy army to play right, by any means. It's an army that really has to pick its battles to do well, and with deep striking that's never going to be an easy proposition. Are you running Darius as Belial, btw? I'm not really happy with how Terminators have got the hefty shaft of -10 Awesomeness this edition, particularly thanks to the rise of gravguns (says the guy who just won a tourney with 15 of them) and ever-present AP2 weaponry, but what can you do. Still looking at building a Loganwing force at some point.

What's next on the creative agenda? Dare I say the B word (by which I mean bikes)?

This group shot is extra sweet- it really shows off the extra care you put into make each terminator and individual. I will do my best to meet this same standard when I do my first terminator squad- inspiring!

Oooh, I don't get called inspiring often! Thanks! Be on the lookout for when I post better photos, as per BrotherCaptainArkhan's request earlier...

Commiserations on that one. I've played a fair few games now against Terminator-heavy armies and I gotta say Deathwing is not an easy army to play right, by any means. It's an army that really has to pick its battles to do well, and with deep striking that's never going to be an easy proposition. Are you running Darius as Belial, btw? I'm not really happy with how Terminators have got the hefty shaft of -10 Awesomeness this edition, particularly thanks to the rise of gravguns (says the guy who just won a tourney with 15 of them) and ever-present AP2 weaponry, but what can you do. Still looking at building a Loganwing force at some point.

What's next on the creative agenda? Dare I say the B word (by which I mean bikes)?

Pure Deathwing is not easy to play, no. But so very rewarding, even the losses. I can honestly say I've enjoyed every single game with them so far. I mean, I know I'd be better-served by including some Land Raiders, but putting 27 Terminators on the table is a very unique feeling.

Nah, 'Belial' isn't Darius, it's Sovereign-Captain Thanon, the Annihilator-Prince. Luckily, I don't play against AP 2/1 armies very often. Just a Vindicator and some lascannons from my Chaos-playing mate, the Riptide from my Tau-playing mate, and the boneswords and Doom and MCs from my 'Nid-playing mate... Okay, actually, that's quite a lot of AP 2/1... Whatever, I don't really notice it.

Loganwing would be cool! The novelty of Terminators with combi-weapons and not-powerfists cannot be denied.

Why do I get the feeling you really want me to do some bikes? :tongue.:

Well, I did just receive two Contemptor bodies and a set of Legion Outriders from Forgeworld... But the next few updates are going to be all over the place. Though I probably will have the time to put together a bike as a proof of concept while I wait on a few other things to fall into place.

Actually, yeah, I can do a bike soon. Probably not before Christmas, but just after the New Year seems likely.

EDIT: So many typos...

Edited by Disruptor_fe404

Demi Squad 1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/tart-term-demi1.jpg

Demi Squad 2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/tart-term-demi2.jpg

Slightly washed out by my Photoshop filtering, but it's good enough I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/Penitent_Tangent_banner.jpg

What’s a Penitent Tangent?
I’m sure everyone’s had that moment when you realised that you’ve had quite a few projects on the back burner that eventually end up being neglected. This happens to me fairly often (the ‘Tangent’). Though I’ve been fairly focused recently, it just means that some of my really old stuff that should be done just straight-up hasn’t been. So, before I continue on with the rest of my Deathwing list, I figured I’d take a break from Tactical Dreadnought Armour and work on finishing some old projects (me being ‘Penitent’), which is a good thing, because you really don’t want to stagnate when you’re working on things. It’s a sort of ‘self-challenge’ for me to do these to a (hidden from view) schedule, since that’s actually really good motivation. Expect a couple updates a week. I intend to tackle a few more vehicles than I usually do (so maybe two), since those are the parts of my old lists that I’m least happy with or just plain haven’t done. It’s worth noting that my list isn’t the entirety of my backlog; it’s 50% low hanging fruit and 50% stuff I want to actually tackle at my current standard. Plus, I might be waiting on parts at various stages, so I’ll actually have room for other a few proof-of-concept models for future projects. More tangent!

What’s with the banner?
I used to work with Photoshop and Illustrator at work fairly often - even though I’m not a graphic designer at all - but I hardly ever use them for fun (well, Illustrator sometimes) and I haven’t pushed my skills with either very much recently, so I figured I might as well do it for fun and try out a few new things. Uniting each of my Projects under one banner (ho ho ho!) seemed like a good way to do slightly different hobby-related stuff.

Why the wall of text?
It helps me organise my thoughts, so I figure I’ll treat you chaps like some kind of mute yes-man. So there.

+ PENITENT TANGENT +

Task 1: Targets of Opportunity; Sword Company Command Squad

From page 1, we have Sword Company's Command Squad, with unfinished bases:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/sword-command-wip.jpg

This is the aforementioned 'low-hanging fruit'. I'm not sure why I never did their bases earlier, but there you have it. Along the way, I also need to do the banner, add some lettering, and clean up some poor painting (this last part is not very visible from the photo).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_01.jpg

Oh, and while I'm at it, I've decided to replace the plasma gunslinger's torso. It was one of my old recycled torsos, and there was dry glue showing from where it overflowed under the torso and above the waist. Gross. I grabbed the Mk III torso I had lying around and sprayed it (along with a number of other things that I'll need further down the track for +PT+).

As mentioned earlier, right now this is more to keep myself motivated than to show off anything new or fancy that I've done, so apologies for the fairly boring update! 

wow dude your sentinels are great

simple and effective paint scheme, and neat too. which really helps the conversions "blend in"

its not something I would have considered myself, I find it very refreshing.

I think your bog standard troops are my favourite. almost elegant (but you know, a violent kind of elegance)

I am envious of you ability to paint all your bits separately like that, I lose a lot of momentum there.

next time I will read all the words, its late here atm

keep up the great work

Not going as fast as I'd like to be, but it's the weekend and progress is progress!

Sad and boring update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_02.jpg

I'm also cleaning up some of the painting on the squad itself, it appears I was a little less careful with the brush three years ago.

Thanks! It even opened the floodgates!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_03.jpg

After touch ups. Plus replacement torso for plasma gunslinger. I cannot stress how happy I am with the lettering on Arkad's shield. It took me hours to do!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_04.jpg

And the banner. I think I'll try to put a skull somewhere, it's a little plain right now. And possibly some writing in red across the bottom under the sword.

I noobed up the last step of the banner, so I have been forced to blank parts of it again, taking it back to a black basecoat. Will be reapplying white and then repainting the affected areas... :wallbash: :censored: :down: :cry:

As you can see, I added a little more to it. But then I got careless...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_06.jpg

Did up some smoke launchers for the next item as well, but I'm pretty fumed about messing up the banner right now... Best not paint while angry though.

My banner painting odyssey is finally at an end!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/penitent_tangent_07.jpg

I think I did pretty well, considering how much I had to correct. And some of that white paint is THICK in places...

Anyway, next up, this guy needs a base:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Disruptor_fe404/40K%20WiPs/Cale-wip.jpg

I believe I also have a solution for Arkhan's (constructive!) criticism: 

Specifically, his 'shoulders' and the top of his chassis were what stood out to me.

Wow, that was a long time ago! Anyway, the solution is actually just those smoke launchers in a previous photo. Actually, I'll be freehanding something onto the VenDread's banner too.

I'm glad it was taken as constructive criticism, it certainly was a minor point. I think the smoke launchers will break up the silver nicely though. Keen to see what you do with the base.

Well done on the banner - don't think I've said it yet but the command squad looks really great. Keen to see a completed picture of them with the banner ;) Who is their HQ again?