Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= The B&C Painters =][=

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

kamedake88

kamedake88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts

Will there ever be an Imperial knight painter?

Nope. Brother Argos is no longer making new painters. So unless some else takes up that particular mantle, it isn't going to happen.

What would it take to get these painters updated. I am not familiar with the coding needed but if getting a drive together or hell I'd even farm this out myself, to get it done, I volunteer to head an updating project. 

It's also quite funny to think that countless billions of pilgrims and Marines over the millennia stop at the Temple of Correction to worship at the feet of a giant Slannesh fish nugget. - kamedake88 

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,023 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors Legion (XCIII)

Well, I'd be willing to give you a hand kamedake88.

I was wondering if Brother Argos could give us a little tutorial on this ?

PS, I like your colour scheme Firebrethren ^^

For those that couldn't see it like me :

Spoiler

Brother Argos

Brother Argos

++ IGNUS GLADIUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 3,549 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamanders

One day I might be tempted to take advantage of the new technology in Google Chrome and rewrite the painter.

• Olis, Conn Eremon and Lord Thørn like this
Brother Argos

Brother Argos stepped forward into the reflected light of the schematic. The Techmarine went unhooded. The left portion of his face was framed with a steel plate, the snarling image of a Salamander seared into it as an honour marking. Burn scars from the Brander-Priests wreathed his skin in whorls and bands. A Bionic eye gleamed coldly in contrast to the burning red of his own.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and metallic.

- Heroes of the Space Marines - Fires of War : Pg 190

Iron Hands - A new beginning

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,293 posts

We all eagerly await that day. Well, I know I do. ^_^

• Conn Eremon likes this
gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

DrDemon6661

DrDemon6661

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

Not quite sure I'm doing this right. I get all the color plates in the correct spots and attempt to save the image, the JPEG file always states "Empty" and I have to redo it all over again. I also attempted to Email it to myself from the paint screen as well, no luck there either. Pls help!

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,023 posts

Not quite sure I'm doing this right. I get all the color plates in the correct spots and attempt to save the image, the JPEG file always states "Empty" and I have to redo it all over again. I also attempted to Email it to myself from the paint screen as well, no luck there either. Pls help!

I've never had too many problems with the Space Marine Painter, but you can always try copying and pasting in an photo editor software (the GIMP is a good freeware one), then saving it on your computer. That's what I do with the terminator painter for instance.

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,023 posts

Hiyah there ! I've done some work on a possibility for expanding the standard space marine painter, including most notably metallic lighting and different patterns (such as tiger stripes and lightning across the armour).

For the moment I've got a .xcf file, which can be edited in the free image editing software "The Gimp", and I'm planning on creating a plugin for it as well (the xcf file is quite unwieldy for the moment).

The aim is to provide the user with more options to represent special colour schemes, but probably not special equipment for the moment.

Further expansion would include adding more patterns (like camo-pattern), and especially a way of converting flat logos and emblems to be placed on shoulder pads.

REMOVED AS USING NON-OPEN MATERIAL

Edited by Lord Thørn, 30 September 2016 - 12:25 PM.

• Cpt_Reaper, Pcm979 and Father Mehman like this

Pcm979

Pcm979

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts

Well, I'm definitely interested! I've been hoping for a better way to previsualize metallics for years now.

Unfortunately, I still suck at using GIMP. Still, any port in a storm, as they say.

Edited by Pcm979, 06 January 2016 - 11:17 AM.

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,023 posts

REMOVED AS USING NON-OPEN MATERIAL

Edited by Lord Thørn, 30 September 2016 - 12:24 PM.

Pcm979

Pcm979

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts

Thanks, I'll give it a spin! It'll take me a while to figure it out- I don't even know how to remove the example colour scheme you've used, I really need to take some tutorials- but once I have, I'll give you feedback. smile.png

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,023 posts

Here's a simple enough looking tutorial on layers in the Gimp.

In fairness, once you get the hang of layers and the bucket tool, the manipulation isn't all that complicated. It can however be very time consuming...

Pcm979

Pcm979

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts

Thanks, that really helped. I think I'm getting the hang of it!

DavianCool

DavianCool

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens/Salamanders

Best. Tool. EVER.

• Dead Knight likes this

--

Where there is uncertainty, I shall bring light.
Where there is doubt, I shall sow faith.
Where there is shame, I shall point atonement.
Where there is rage, I shall show its course.
My word in the soul shall be as my bolter in the field.

KILL IT WITH FIRE SO IT CAN'T MAKE MORE THEN NUKE IT FROM ORBIT JUST TO BE SURE

Dead Knight

Dead Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts
  • Chapter Name: Gryphonean Marines

Best. Tool. EVER.

Aye!

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,315 posts
  • Chapter Name: Inkspillers

Are we likely to get in-browser painters for 30K marines and terminators at some point?

• Steel Company likes this

Mortal scrivener for the Brotherhood of the Lost project:
gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg

Tales of the Brotherhood

drakel

drakel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood angels
Anyone know when the librarian will be returning anyway?

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,278 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stoneburners
All, probably need to cool it on wants for the Painter, and on the use of art assets from it outside of the Painter itself.

Per Brother Argos:

@ Isinfer: As the person who wrote the software for the Painter in its entirety, I currently have no plans to resume work on it. To be clear, it is not a community developed or owned project and nor is it open source (although some libraries used by it might be). The artwork also is not open source either and specific agreements with its usage are in place with Games workshop (after having "discussed" it with their legal team a number of times). I know that sounds harsh, but I am trying to be honest. I have unreleased art and code for the painter which I may work upon if time allows (but this is not a commitment).

Make use of this fantastic tool as is, it's what we have currently, and I'm sure if Brother Argos does do some updates, he'll let us know.

Edited by Bryan Blaire, 30 September 2016 - 12:51 AM.

• Lord Thørn likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,023 posts

All, probably need to cool it on wants for the Painter, and on the use of art assets from it outside of the Painter itself.

Per Brother Argos:

@ Isinfer: As the person who wrote the software for the Painter in its entirety, I currently have no plans to resume work on it. To be clear, it is not a community developed or owned project and nor is it open source (although some libraries used by it might be). The artwork also is not open source either and specific agreements with its usage are in place with Games workshop (after having "discussed" it with their legal team a number of times). I know that sounds harsh, but I am trying to be honest. I have unreleased art and code for the painter which I may work upon if time allows (but this is not a commitment).

Make use of this fantastic tool as is, it's what we have currently, and I'm sure if Brother Argos does do some updates, he'll let us know.

Apologies for having used non-open material, I hadn't read this post atentively enough. I'll get rid of what I'd done with it.

Runesfuer

Runesfuer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Imperialis Primos Mobile Fortress Monastery "Winter"
  • Chapter Name: Imperialis Primos
I was wondering if there was ever going to be anything done with this again. If not. I'll go keep playing around with what we have. I'd just like to see more option, like one with terminator weapon options. Or chaos. Or stuff like that.
Or one for each of the playable races in the universe.

Edited by Runesfuer, 22 January 2017 - 01:14 AM.

Imperator primum, deinde imperio. Vívimus poenas etiam sic esse tuus [First for the Emperor, then for the Imperium. Our lives are forfeit, so should your be as well]

FOR THE IMPERIUM!!!

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,278 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stoneburners

I was wondering if there was ever going to be anything done with this again.

Per Brother Argos:

Edited by Bryan Blaire, 22 January 2017 - 02:38 AM.

• Shaughnn and Cajus like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shaughnn

Shaughnn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Fists

Does anyone know what happened to Brother Argos and his plans to include Heresy-era armor in the Space Marine Painter?  I saw a mock up of an Emperor's Children marine in Mark 4 armor from years ago, and it looked great!
If he's not interested in continuing  the project, does anyone know if he would be open to allowing someone else to carry his torch forward?
Thanks, from Seattle

Shaughnn

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,466 posts

Does anyone know what happened to Brother Argos and his plans to include Heresy-era armor in the Space Marine Painter?  [...] If he's not interested in continuing  the project, does anyone know if he would be open to allowing someone else to carry his torch forward?

Referring back to what Brother Argos said:

gallery_45765_13882_50260.pnggallery_45765_12908_1745.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_45765_5904_4405.png

"The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us. Fear our name, for it is vengeance."

Forum Rules | Imperial Fists (& Successors) | Tyranids (& Genestealer Cults) | Liber Astartes

Imperial Fists, first and foremost. (With a side-helping of Hive Fleet Behemoth. Om nom nom.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users