new codex

jester262

I think we desperately need a new codex. We are spent as a competitive force I'm afraid sad.png

i have to disagree there have been several tournament wins by Space wolf lists including some Major tournaments

UK or US?

And could you point me in the direction of the lists so we don't derail this thread?

And to everyone else, get off your bloody high horses gits. Everyone plays for different reasons. I've played the army for 12 years and love the models, background and imagery. I own every GW book which even fleetingly features wolves. But I also like to be able to compete at tournaments. That doesn't make me wrong and you right.

Chill out. No one insulted you. Most people will disagree with you (especially the strong tone of your original post) because generally SW are still an extremely strong army. If you can't handle disagreement with your own views then I don't know what to say, except that it seems ironic to call others snobs, to say the least.

For what it's worth I also enjoy winning games, and have managed to win a fair few with my counts-as-SW so far, and have yet to really feel that we're an underpar army. What I tend to find is that we win ground wars but tend to suffer when the enemy can synergise flyer/ground units well. Having said that, a Storm Eagle/Aegis defence line/allied Stormraven/allied Hydras solves that problem just fine ;)

I believe our Codex is still strong. Is it as strong as it was in 5th? No but we still nothing to dismiss. The last 3 local tournaments I played my Wolves in I finished in the top 5 with at least 14+ players & I don't count myself as a really good player(more of a Fluff player). Our biggest hang up right now is our challenge dealing with flyers which could easily be fixed with an erratta to give us Flak missiles. But that fact the several people here appearently take Wolves to Tournies & do decent speaks volumes to our codex basic strength. We just need to be  a little more crafty on how we play. Anyways, my 2 cents.

forte, sorry but hobby snobs irritate me.

I don't think it's snobbish to find your position lacking in good sense or rationality. SW codex still does quite well, and compared to other codices still in use, is not outdated. It's not to say that Wolves don't deserve a new dex, or even that they aren't due in the near-ish future for one, but you're analysis is wrong.

As for my original 'snobbish' comment, yes, as a Templar player, I find that whining about your supposed obsolescence sounds spoiled. smile.png

And also, I thought you lot rode high wolves, not high horses. Hm. teehee.gif

I'm kind of in-between on a new codex. It would be awesome to see some real flyer solutions that don't involve taking allies or defenses, not to mention a Wolves specific warlord table, but it seems to me this Codex (I'm still very much a bloodclaw, but in my humble opinion) packs a lot of punch. I've only lost a few of a decent many games I've played with / against friends. There may have been some times I got knocked out, but what I did allowed my allies to finish the match and win it. All and all, I'd really just like to see some eratta'd flakk missiles and I'd be a happy pup.

Updates: And while it would be just plain overpowered, seeing skyfire added to long fangs is a scary thought

And I am fully sympathetic to that :) But now is not back then...or something

My point wasn't to whine about how neglected we are (there's enough of that back in our own subforum), but rather to point out that the SW dex is not so out of date, just as many others have pointed out that it is still quite competitive. No QQing just because it's no longer a point and win level of competitive :P

@Firepower: I fully agree, and enough of our Wolves have chimed in with how out of touch the poster seems to be.

the only thing I dislike about our Codex comes not from the codex, but from the rulebook: the changes of axes. My Wolf army has alot of axes and I refuse to change them.

WLK

I'm almost scared for a new Wolves codex (if it weren't for the fact that I shall know no fear). We are pretty strong as is, might have taken some hits, but not much, and the only thing we flounder against, as has been said (a lot) is air defense (accursed Heldrake!), which I've so far gotten around with ADL, Icarus Lascannon, and a Master of Runes Rune Priest with a Chooser of the Slain. On one hand, I want anti-air (not necessarily flyers), artifacts, and awesome Fenrisian Warlord traits. On the other hand, I don't want my TWC to be taken away, and I want to continue fielding Lone Wolves and ThunderLords. I feel like Grey Hunters will be knocked down to par in the next 'dex. They've gotten away with being one of, if not the, best troop choice in the game for a few years now. 

I'm divided on a new codex for the Wolves. Still, I've made it a point to face down people with new codexes and destroy their shiny new lists. Can't let them be getting too sure of themselves when the Wolves are out hunting... Though I don't think my footslogging army will be doing well against the new Tau. 

I have to agree that the start of next year codices just seems a little like wish listing to me.

On the other hand, It seems to be a trend with GW at the moment that they are focussing on the codices that don't have anti-air/flyers to bring them up to scratch. Out of all the armies that didn't have some sort of flyer (bar eldar who are probably being released soon) we are the ones who have been left hanging. That's not to say i'm whining about it because i've found ways around that with allies and FW products. I'm merely pointing out, they will probably have something very special heading in our direction. I still want my Sky Krakken ! wallbash.gif

I'm also a mixture of feelings for a new codex. On one hand i'm scared that we will get a heavy handed slap down to our style of play but on the other hand i'm excited to see what they can come up with for us. Most of all, i can't wait for our warlord table.

We are still an extremely strong codex, if played right. I for one love the fact that my swift claws are even more potent than they once were.

really, all GW has to do is say we can use the Storn Eagle and Storm Talon and everything will be just fine, IMO

Except we can.

An SM psyker for HQ (since apparently no one takes SW powers anymore) and a squad of scouts for Troops. Minimal allied force and wallah, access to fliers.

I agree with Gaffy. Some named characters are too expensive (Njal, bjorn, Lukas, etc.).  It is hard to deal with fliers without allies (although allies is part of the game now). Bloodclaws should come down in points.  Or fix WS3. Ork boyz should not be hitting my Astartes on 3's.

My wishlist would be to expand on Wulfen. Models would be great.  Give us some anti-flier (flakk) or a flier. I dont think we will get a new dex until the development team has made us a flier.

What I think would happen- GH/LF more expensive. Flier. 

I dont see a new dex coming anytime soon though. I am happy with what we have for the most part. I like that we are an economical choice with lots of flexibility. I did wish we had more flavor than just GH as practical troops.

As for the rumours, mention of a giant wolf sounds terribly cliched to me but possible given GWs recent trend towards big models (riptide, dreadknight). I would hope we go more down the route of the Rout than the Space Vikings tho as its far less cheestastic. And god only knows why we didn't get access to the stormraven and storm talon through skies of blood, that is very strange and I would expect that to be rectified in the new codex although I wouldn't expect us to get our own dedicated flyer.

I just hope Phil Kelly writes our new codex!

Tony kopach won nova intivtational and nova open with SW list Probably the biggest tournament in the US

eyeslikethunder, no idea why US or UK, just the first 2 which sprung to mind tbh. Agree that Poland or Germany are probably equally as competitive along with Australia possibly

Glad to here we are on GW radar codex wise. I dont feel we need a update desparately but would not want to go 10 years without again.

Some flyers would be nice it feels a shame to have include allies to use them when space wolves seem to use flyers regularly in the books without issue.

As a man with the old Wulfen models it would good to be able use the to the full rather the odd MOtW guy here and there.

An even bigger wolf does not really excite me

You can be more inventive than that GW

I'm suspicious of claims that GW will release Wulfen again.

Given their likely inclusion in the HH rules in due course, a FW release seems more likely.

That would be sweet. Especially seeing as GW prices are way over the top in NZ, while FW are merely at the exchange rate. FW isn't actually THAT much more pricy!

I'm still waiting for Bran Redmaw though...

i would have to disagree with peoples views of us not having anything to deal with fliers, My rune priest w/ prescience/chooser/MoR and 6 long fang 3ML/2LC have claimed many fliers in my battle. As WOLVES we can take 4 rune priest but with only 3 long fang squads available taking 3 is enough for the hunt cool.png

As for the big wolf thing, i dont know what to make of it, from all the books we know MOST if not all wulfen arent some huge monsterous creature and are like us except with crazy amount of steriods and fur. BUT Forgeworld wolf lord Bran Redmaw turns into a wulfen Monsterous Creature so... AND since we already have thunderwolf cav ( riding the largest fenrisian wolf type known) this *New* wolf sound kinda sketchy

maybe the big wolf will be some sort of lame battle suit type thing, not sure which would be worse, a giant wolf the size of a dreadknight or a giant mechanical wolf suit.

personally i hope it will just be a bran redmaw werewolf type model, that would be fairly cool

personally i think the only things we really need are a flier or flier defence, and a change to the accute senses rule. all our models have it but the only ones that can use it are 2 hq options if they take a certain saga

Archived