Priming resin models...

Thanks WD. Ive primed it now... It looks Matte but one knee looks shiny, but the paint doesn't rub off. Im hoping this is just the primer and nothing else... lol

If the paint starts coming off i'm going to cry, this model was already a pretty appalling cast for the amount i paid at FW.

• 2 weeks later...

I have extensive experience in priming resin (LOTS of Forgeworld!) and nothing, for me, beat Dupli-color Automotive flat black primer. Actually, I use it for every model now. It's extremely fine and matte. It's also almost microscopically gritty, so paint adhere wonderfully. I understand that car primer has an incorporated "degreasing" agent that helps the primer stick to resin, even if not completely washed. Of course, a good overnight soak in water+dish soap and scrubbing with a toothbrush is always recommended (and don't forget to dry thoroughly with either a +cold+ hairdryer or leave it to dry 48 hours).

hmm....im a big fan of complicated resin preparations...  maybe due to working with multi source kits (including garage kits as well as mass produced stuff like forgeworld).   generally i start with a bath and scrub in diet coke of all things.  from there its a rinse and then a wash with dish soap...joy is great for this.  then dry.   once completely dry i tend to use my friendly can of mr. resin primer.  i find that this primer makes the work with other primers, sprays and general painting work much smoother...to me anyway

still...the forgeworld emperor dragon taught me this process doesnt always get the mould clearing solutions off the models completely...sometimes the folds are just too much.  in this case...or in any case when paint just doesnt stick like it should after cleaning and priming...well thats where your friendly white glue comes in.  mix a paint into the glue and you have a very 'bondy' paint that will stay where you put it and can hold other paints like a cleaned surface should.

you know...i almost sound too much like an advert here....

Archived