Marines Adamant

Lysimachus

I disagree with the above. The "stark" shoulder pads are solid, especially if you're slapping the chapter badge / squad markings in there as a dark colour (black or dark green) because that will off-set the large plains of grey. I actually prefer the above scheme (probably because it brings more metal to the mix, haha!)

• 2 weeks later...

For most Marines, their focus is totally on war, with no interest in knowledge or learning of anything more. Such things are the province of the Wyrds, and are irrelevant to a warrior. They are equally as capable as the brothers of any Chapter to care for their weapons and armour to a basic standard, but this understanding, indoctrinated during process of becoming Astartes, is viewed as entirely mystical.  Relatively few care or wish to learn more, to understand why things are what they are or how they work; these few are quickly apprenticed to the Wyrds of their Household.

But where do you draw the line about what is and is not War? Tactics will involve knowledge of appropriate weapon systems/what is better against which targets and why (the why enables decisions about next-best when the optimal system is not available - or do your marines stand in a line letting rip with bolters against enemy landraiders and wonder why its not working?), as well as the basic capabilities of the various vehicles employed by their enemies (structural defects/weaknesses for targetting/mobility and capabilities for battlefield threat assessment) and themselves (or would your marines really know more about an Eldar falcon grav tank than their own Rhinos?), linguistics (every chapter will have various battle-languages to use amongst themselves to 'encrypt' if you will their combat communications, there will also be training on enemy battle-languages from intercepts - necessary in order to act upon any comms that are intercepted during combat situations or in theatre...

Just a few thoughts above, but the idea of focussing on War comes up every now and then but rarely actually seems to be thought through properly. War is probably one of the most intellectually challenging things to focus on, since it requires such a large knowledge base to do well, and marines cannot afford to not do it well.

Also, not quite sure about individual households being stationed at the Forge/hive world for a century at a time. Do they still undertake offensive actions during this time? Or do they stay in system? I'd suggest either making it clear that they still perform limited actions out-system, or drop the time period to at most 10 years (long enough for a new recruit to go through the entire organ implantation process) otherwise you end up with 100-year old marines who have never travelled to a foreign planet or fought without Navy/Skittarri/Ad MEch assistance...

Thanks for comments Leonaides!

But where do you draw the line about what is and is not War? Tactics will involve knowledge of appropriate weapon systems/what is better against which targets and why (the why enables decisions about next-best when the optimal system is not available - or do your marines stand in a line letting rip with bolters against enemy landraiders and wonder why its not working?), as well as the basic capabilities of the various vehicles employed by their enemies (structural defects/weaknesses for targetting/mobility and capabilities for battlefield threat assessment) and themselves (or would your marines really know more about an Eldar falcon grav tank than their own Rhinos?), linguistics (every chapter will have various battle-languages to use amongst themselves to 'encrypt' if you will their combat communications, there will also be training on enemy battle-languages from intercepts - necessary in order to act upon any comms that are intercepted during combat situations or in theatre...

Very true. I picture them as being able to strip down a bolter/understand modern weapons and tactics/even pilot a vehicle, but the point is that they know those things through indoctrination/hypnotics/etc rather than taking an active interest in learning it. It's all viewed as mystical stuff that the Wyrds have given them, the hows and whys don't matter. Those that do show an interest in a deeper understanding of tech eventually end up training as Wyrds (or those that are interested in larger strategy become squad leaders/Warleader).

Also, not quite sure about individual households being stationed at the Forge/hive world for a century at a time. Do they still undertake offensive actions during this time? Or do they stay in system? I'd suggest either making it clear that they still perform limited actions out-system, or drop the time period to at most 10 years (long enough for a new recruit to go through the entire organ implantation process) otherwise you end up with 100-year old marines who have never travelled to a foreign planet or fought without Navy/Skittarri/Ad MEch assistance...

Oh, they'd still operate alone as a Company at times, or sometimes split up to provide elite support for Explorator teams or Titan Legion battle groups, or bodyguard squads for important AdMech Magos', etc, etc.

Good points,thanks! I'll clarify next time I edit.

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

Very true. I picture them as being able to strip down a bolter/understand modern weapons and tactics/even pilot a vehicle, but the point is that they know those things through indoctrination/hypnotics/etc rather than taking an active interest in learning it. It's all viewed as mystical stuff that the Wyrds have given them, the hows and whys don't matter. Those that do show an interest in a deeper understanding of tech eventually end up training as Wyrds (or those that are interested in larger strategy become squad leaders/Warleader).

Have you got access to a copy of the early Ragnar books? I think it is the first one, where he recalls his induction to the SW's where a couple of the inductees blow their own brains out while cleaning bolt pistols because although they have the technical knowledge from the hypnotics - they lack the true awareness of what that knowledge means. An active interest in war as waged by Marines practically requires an active interest in learning these things, without that, when faced with a situation not explicitly covered by their indoctrination then they may become confused/unable to adapt other tactics to a new situation. Learning through hypnotherapy/etc is probably very efficient for a marine and I believe most chapters do do this (saves all the time turning pages and can be done in his 'rest period') but to a certain extent these guys must have a desire to learn things (even if it simply as a means to kill enemies better/more efficiently/greater kill-count for personal honour). 

Yep, it's one of my favourite Marine books, and the idea ties in with the bit you mentioned. Again, I'll try to clarify the main text to show that they're capable of assimilating/applying what they learn. What I'm really trying to get across is that even though they're IH Successors, they're not all mini-techmarines. Or artificers like the Sallies or artists like BA, the only thing they care about is war and power/glory within the Chapter.

when faced with a situation not explicitly covered by their indoctrination then they may become confused/unable to adapt other tactics to a new situation.

This is interesting, I could see that most brethren can assimilate what they're taught to the extent necessary to function on the battlefield/take on roles such as piloting, etc; and those who come to lead are generally those better able to innovate and adapt what they know. I hadn't considered the other side of the coin, those who are less able to apply their implanted knowledge and end up as line soldiers taking orders for all their lives. It may not come up in the IA but it's an interesting idea for possible future fiction.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, bit more done, trying to get them fairly set so once the Liber Campaign moves on to Act 2 they're ready to submit. Added some more quotes, pics and some formatting.

C+C still very welcome!

• 1 month later...

Hello all, bit more done, lost a couple of comments in the crash and been on hols for the last week so trying to work on things from memory! Any more C+C very welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, having read the Iron Hands bits in the new dex, I'm relieved to say it doesn't seem to have spoilt anything I've written. In fact, although most don't like the Chapter Master-type elected leader, this new fluff certainly fits with the Warleader/Warlord mechanic that the Marines Adamant follow.

All the Stronos rubbish can be safely ignored too, thankfully the MA were formed approximately 8,000 years before he was born. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

For fun, decided to mark up a star map for the Adamants' stomping grounds. Will probably add more worlds as I come up with more fluff, 

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/starmap2.jpg

Edit:

where it fits in the bigger map:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/wheremapis.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Some fluff to justify one day getting myself a Knight to paint/play with:

The Knights of House Malgor have a long and proud association with the forges of Gharant III. Since the days of the Horus Heresy, brave warriors of the House have piloted their mighty war machines in the defence of the Havilar Sector.

House Malgor was based on the Knight World of Basilax until the middle of the 37th Millenium. At that time, the expansion of several Ork empires brought the Knight World under attack, flooding it beneath a green tide. Most of the Knight Houses of Basilax were destroyed in the defence of their home but Malgor, who were at the time serving with elements of the Legio Mallei Argentum near the Cadian Gate, endured.

Now, joined by a handful of lone Knights from the other Houses who survived the death of Basilax, Malgor is based on Gharant III itself and is ably supported by the vast resources of its forges. Detachments of Knights commonly act as close support or in a flanking role for battle groups of the Silver Hammers, or occasionally as line breakers for Skitarii regiments or Marines Adamant Households.

Not sure on a colour scheme for House Malgor, though. Something that ties in with the MA but still stands out too. Brethren of the Liber Heraldry Dept, I need your help!:wink:

• 3 months later...

Sorry Teetengee, didn't see your post. Green will definitely feature, probably on one or two pieces of armour (a  knee or something) with the MA badge as an honour/campaign marking.

Brown, I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of. Was considering making House Malgor's colours largely similar to Gharant's Titan Legion as they've been based there for several millenia, so maybe primarily black armour, fairly dark metallic on the main body, with brighter (maybe even almost white?) silver markings and badges?

Someone needs to come up with a Knight Painter, the SMP has ruined my ability to work schemes out in my head!:tongue.:

• 1 month later...

Well, thanks to my awesome wife's anniversary present buying:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/imagejpg1.jpg

I HAVE A KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

So, ideas on colour scheme would be very welcome? I'm now thinking about making the Silver Hammers/House Malgor scheme a vertical split very dark blue/bone white. Head, tilt shield, and shoulder pads and possibly the shin guards would also be navy/bone (so looking from the front the colours on the shoulder pads would be the opposite of that side of the body - if that makes any sense?). Then Hammer badge in silver (obviously) on the blue, and imperium/AdMech badges in black on the bone.

Also need to work out a badge for House Malgor itself that will only feature in one or two places, representing how the House's own identity is being submerged into that of the Gharant Forge/Titan Legion since being forced to abandon their own home world. Thinking maybe an animal of some sort, possibly the Boar head from the Knight transfer sheet?

Anyway, had to share!!! All ideas very welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, well, downloaded a sketchpad to my ipad to try and do a 'test mini' in the scheme i was

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/imagejpg1-2.jpg

Very badly drawn, I know, but it's just to get a vague idea of which bits are which colour!

Edit: changed the tilt shield to be halved like all the other plates.

Thanks Teetengee, quartered sounds interesting, I'll have to colour another one up. As it is, the alternate shoulders are that way because the pads are halved the same way as the other plates so you only see the opposite colour i.e. the rear of his right pad would be blue and rear of his left would be bone.

• 7 months later...

Don't mind me, just adding this bit from Conn's ideas thread so I don't lose it!

Deck Officer Naton Lesat lay on his narrow bunk and tried desperately to fall asleep. The day had started so well! More than twelve years of hard work had led him to it; four years at one of Gharant V's prestigious naval acadamies, five serving as an Ensign on a patrol submersible and two more on a intrasystem Mechanicus cruiser. The last year had been spent at the Marines Adamant's own orbital facilities. He had excelled in the additional training provided there by an elderly Chapter serf, himself a product of Gharant V's proud Navy. Lesat's assignment to one of the Chapter's finest vessels, the Battle-barge Slaktare, came as no surprise to him.

The ship was a vast, brutal piece of machinery, yet beautiful in its stark, angular lethality. Naton's first view of its dark green hull emblazoned with the Chapter's white tower less than fourteen hours previously had taken his breath away. His delight at being given a place on one of the most powerful fighting vessels the Imperium had ever created, however, had quickly faded.

The Astartes who had allowed the occupants of Lesat's shuttle to board - a monstrous, shaggy bearded brute with a string of long, curved teeth hanging from his chest - had taken a lingering look at the dataslate the young officer had presented, looked Lesat up and down with a cold sneer and sent him on to find Brother Hjeldin without a word of welcome spoken. Lord Hjeldin, a grizzled Iron Wyrd, was the tech adept responsible for the running of the vast ship when none of the Chapter's commanders were aboard. Lesat had hoped for a warmer reception from the Iron Wyrd, but Hjeldin took his oath of fealty with utter indifference and mechanical precision. His many bionic components whirring softly, the aged Marine had handed Naton his first assignment, another dataslate intended for Warleader Isgrimnur himself.

The absolute master of the Marines Adamant 4th Household, Isgrimnur Ironheart had a fearsome reputation and Lesat was determined to make a good first impression. He had hurried to the main hangar where the Warleader was supervising the loading of his troops and vehicles. As Naton entered the massive space, he had been overcome by the sheer presence of more than a hundred Space Marines. Though the giants were no less efficient in their work than the servitors of Lesat's previous vessel, they were far, far louder. Squad sergeants roared curses at their men as they stowed weapons and other equipment, and armour-clad titans jostled and snarled at one another with barely concealed spite.

As the deck officer stepped out into the organised chaos, the Marines in his path had each paused to glare as he passed. Lesat had quailed inside at the cold anger in their eyes, the violent tension in their massive frames. A few had even let out deep, hate-filled growls as he crossed the hangar floor and approached the imposing figures of Waleader Isgrimnur and his bodyguards. When Naton moved within a few metres, one of the Terminator guards had abruptly stumped forwards, effortlessly and wordlessly lifting a huge powered axe in his massive fist and laying its wicked edge against Lesat's collarbone.

With a simple wave of his hand, the Warleader had allowed Lesat to approach and deliver the dataslate. Isgrimnur was a colossal warrior, even bigger than his guardians, clad in Tactical Dreadnought Armour covered in furs and decorated with stone charms and long, razor sharp teeth. Much of his body had been replaced with bionic augments and most of his grizzled face was covered by a thick, white beard tied in long braids. Unlike his followers, the master of the 4th Household had been civil, even cordial, and Lesat had started to feel better about his new post. Then he had momentarily caught the Warleader's one organic eye and had realised that the cold rage, the weighing of Lesat - or anyone else around him - as a potential threat to be crushed, was as present in Isgrimnur as it was in any of his men. It was simply better controlled.

Lesat had made his excuses and left as quickly as possible, retreating to one of the quieter secondary hangars until his duty shift ended. He'd then headed to the cramped cabin that he shared with twenty other junior officers where he found Gunnnery Officer Triaane, a Gharantian who had served for several years aboard the Slaktare. When Lesat had questioned him about the Astartes unfounded hostility, Cordelle had grinned tensely.

"Aye," he'd laughed tiredly, "the 'trust issues' the Chapter suffers with! Most of them would gut their own mothers if they gave them half a reason to doubt them! They don't even like each other much, although they won't fight, not now we're on campaign. It's part of their 'Code'."

Lesat had frowned, horrified by the lack of reason, so different to the air of calm and logic that had prevailed on the system cruiser. He'd asked Triaane how they could possibly get the Marines to trust them? The gunnery officer had smiled and it was his answer that had left Lesat lying here on his bunk unable to relax enough to sleep.

"Trust us? Oh, that's simple. Do your job. Keep your head down." His smile had become somewhat forced. "And never make a mistake. Ever."