so why do sisters and black templars hate each other?

Yes, but that was never explained either.

Sure it was. I recall a design note circa it's release whereing the author noted that the tactic chamber militant was the first choice for reinforcement with inquisitors being reluctant to invoke the ancient pacts and honour debts required to get the marines involved in their own petty agendas. Marines are more autonomous and even harder to control and predict than battle sisters with potentially less compassion for ordinary imperial subjects. Essentially, marines only got called in if the sororita couldn't or wouldn't answer the call in time.

I always thought the animosity came about because the Sisters, an awesome army has a scrub WD Codex while the BT a completely lame army that should be relegated to a footnote in the SM Codex somehow scored a 'Dex of their own. But that's just my opinion and I could be totally wrong.

Word, bratty.

Although the Black Heretics did get a minidex in that old Armageddon campaign booklet.

Along with the Salamanders.

Who didn't get their own codex first.

i was under the impression that the templars worshipped the emperor more than almost any other space marines? might be me getting things mixed up i suppose

Um, no. Templars pride themselves as Marines who fought Heresy atop Imperial Palace defending the Emperor. If there is Chapter with traditions describing him firsthand, it's them. Chaplains are not priests - they are more like political officers, watching for signs of corruption, preaching propaganda of their Chapter, commanding detachments, and giving BBs someone impartial to talk to in doubt.

but as i said earlier, take the example of the wolves, they are basically pagan barbarians who have gone to war against the inquisition and the ecclesiarchy on multiple occasions, but they still get to be allies of convenience with them

A lot of this is obfuscating stupidity - and even Wolves do not believe Emperor is a god. What they have is nature-worshipping shamans who of course never ever even touch the power of the warp ermm.gif

They fought =I= and Church on several occasions, but it was always unauthorised operation of several Inquisitors/Bishops, and as such was always quietly swept under a rug. Templars and Sisters fought outright war of annihilation, some even feeling all Daughters (proto-SoB) should be executed for their role in the whole fiasco, not be let off on technicality.

But in reality, the Witch Hunter codex was the Inqusition codex. Sisters of Battle were just some the units Inqusitors could take sad.png

It always struck me more as an Ecclesiarchy codex. Really, Inquisition inclusion in it made little sense, as Witch Hunters were supposed to be watchdogs over Church and (borderline illegal) Sisters. To me, they're people who (outside a handful of radicals) still think SoB should not exist, men or women at arms issue nothwistanding. I was glad GK were given their own Codex with just inclusion of various Inquisitors, hope Sisters have their own, too ph34r.png

The Space Wolves and Black Templars are atheists. Uh-huh.

"When we die, the Allfather gathers us to his mighty army fight at last battle in the Woftime. But we *only* revere him as a great man. It's not a religion or anything."

"We meditate before every battle until one of us is granted a vision by the all knowing Emperor, who will judge us in death by the evil we destroyed in his name. In a completely secular and non religious way, of course."

And here I thought I would never see anything sillier than the Black Templars trusting the Eldar as much as they do the Grey Knights.

As for the non Codex compliant thing...can I have a source on the idea that every Imperial faction regards the Codex as this grand holy document that *must* be followed?

Because the Imperial Guard, the Tech Guard, the Sisters themselves, and the Grey Knights also don't follow Guilliman's dictates.

Ye know, I do seem to recall reading somewhere in a GeeDub publication, like ten years ago, that the Black Templar were unusual amongst astartes because they held the belief that the Emperor was divine.

Nowhere in the BT codex says that the Templars believe in deities or regard the emperor as a god, do they praise him more than other chapters? sure, is he a god? thats heresy, prepare for the orbital bombardment.

If you have any doubt that the templars crusade spreading His word of Holy anthropocentric atheism than look at the emperor's champion model, inscribed upon its sword are the words 'IMPERATOR REX' on one side and 'DEI CASTIGATOR' on the other.

"We meditate before every battle until one of us is granted a vision by the all knowing Emperor, who will judge us in death by the evil we destroyed in his name. In a completely secular and non religious way, of course." 

The Emperor is still alive, he can judge all his servants if He finds them wanting, or do you not have faith in His glorious power?

Nowhere in the BT codex says that the Templars believe in deities or regard the emperor as a god, do they praise him more than other chapters? sure, is he a god? thats heresy, prepare for the orbital bombardment.

If you have any doubt that the templars crusade spreading His word of Holy anthropocentric atheism than look at the emperor's champion model, inscribed upon its sword are the words 'IMPERATOR REX' on one side and 'DEI CASTIGATOR' on the other.

The Emperor is still alive, he can judge all his servants if He finds them wanting, or do you not have faith in His glorious power?

Yep. Gathering their souls upon death for judgement. Definitely the defining trait of your average revered athestically as a paragon and inspiration but totally not worshipped as a god because that would be silly personages.

By the way: that Sigismund gentleman and Euphrati Keeler of the Lectio Divinatus? BFFs during the Heresy. It's in"Crimson Fist".

Nowhere in the BT codex says that the Templars believe in deities or regard the emperor as a god, ...

What may or may not have been retconned in the new codex does not change what I vaguely recall reading over a decade ago.

This is the real reason for the hatred:

(originally posted by bittick on Warseer)

The secret history of the fighting between the Black Templars and the
Sisters of Battle started on a message board in M32.542398. It began
with Brother Melchizedek telling Canoness Magdelene that she was being
"rediculous" with her interpretation of the holy scripture. She said he
"obviously wasn't smart enough to understand". He told her to bring
him a sandwich and she said she only does that for men with functioning
testicles. This continued for 4000 pages of responses and now the two
sides hate each other.

There was poor board moderation in the early days of the Imperium.

sides hate each other.

And I got called bratty for my post? biggrin.png haha.

sides hate each other.

And I got called bratty for my post? biggrin.png haha.

They had Adepta Sororitas back in M32? o.0

Not as far as the galaxy at large is concerned, but we really have no idea when the Daughters were founded on San Leor. The Adepta Sororitas itself wasn't founded until M.35 however.

• 3 weeks later...

...As for the non Codex compliant thing...can I have a source on the idea that every Imperial faction regards the Codex as this grand holy document that *must* be followed?

Because the Imperial Guard, the Tech Guard, the Sisters themselves, and the Grey Knights also don't follow Guilliman's dictates.

But that's because IG, Tech Guard, and Sororitas are not ASTARTES. It's the "Codex Astartes," not the "Codex Whole Famn Damly." As for GK, hell if I know. They're supposedly completely incorruptible to a man anyway, yet let's not forget that Khornate GK incident where they butchered a bunch of Sisters and bathed in their blood for "protection" against "daemons."

Pffffft.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has run its course and I've had to invis some recent posts that contributed nothing other than flame-fuel, so it's time to permanently put it to bed.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

Archived