IA: Stygian Angels "Sons of Perdition"

Ecritter

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/StygianAngelsPlateAngelsHeader_zps856b893b.png

Origins

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/StygianAngelsIcon2_zps14ec3806.png
In the time of the 9th Founding of Adeptus Astartes, the Storm Lords, carrying the geneseed of Jaghatai Khan, were given the great privilege of fathering a new chapter of Space Marines.  An honored few were chosen as a training cadre, and went forth and complete the task before them.

After receiving the precious geneseed and equipment from the Adeptus Mechanicus, the training cadre returned to a planet that was well known to their Commander, as the Storm Lords had found recruits there on several occasions.  They claimed it as their own, and there they began to recruit and train new Marines as was their duty to the Imperium and the Emperor.  After many years of building and training they earned the right to return to their beloved Chapter, their final duty was to turn over command to the new chapter's Master who christened them, the Stygian Angels.

Homeworld

The moon of Kirin, in orbit around the gas giant Maelon III, is the home of the Stygian Angels chapter.  Though not technically a planet, Kirin is classified as a "city-planet" type Hive World.  The great hive city covers a full 90 percent of the moon, with the remaining 10 percent a scorching wasteland.  The Angels' Fortress Monastery lies in the middle of this wasteland.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/StygianAngelsMarine_zpsde0bf041.jpg
The underhive of Kirin is ruled by roving gangs, too numerous to count.  Joining one of the countless gangs that dominate the underhive is the only way to survive the constant wars over territory, resources, and blood-feuds.  The cutthroat lifestyle and merciless environment of the underhive itself molds children into brutal warriors, and so the Angels have never lacked for raw recruits.

Following the example of Jaghatai Khan's combining the warring tribes of the steppes of Mundus Planus, the Angels combine recruits from different gangs into a single fighting force.  Their loyalties no longer to Kirin or its gangs, but now lie only with the Angels and the Emperor.

Beliefs

The Stygian Angels have a base belief that sets them apart from many of their fellow chapters.  To complete the goal of the Emperor as the Angels interpret it, they will do anything.  As the Angels see it, the Emperor's goal is to bring all of scattered remnants of mankind under the will of the Imperium, and to destroy all threats, those from within and without.

Anyone, or anything, that stands between them and that goal is to be destroyed.  No amount of brutality inflicted or sacrifices made can keep them from pushing forward, and everything is justified in the name of the Emperor.  In their eyes, the ends truly justifies the means. 

We Are Brothers

Like the gangs from which their initiates are recruited, the Angels practice a unique form of brotherhood within the chapter.   They set themselves apart from the rest of the Imperium, including other chapters of Space Marines.  The don't see themselves as one among many, but as a single force tasked to with a near impossible goal.

Upon becoming Scouts for the chapter, each new initiate is given a bike of their own.  Throughout their lives are marines, they will continually customize and personalize these bikes to reflect their own personalities.  A marine's bike is second only to his bolter in value to the Angels that ride them.

Upon becoming full Battle Brothers, each new marine is reborn with a new name given by the chapter's elders.  Their old names were a symbol of their old lives, and it no longer has a place within the new marine's heart.  No matter who or what he was before, now he is a brother in the Stygian Angels, and he will live and die for his brothers.  The names given represent the chapter's gang style of combat and life, names like the Skull Crusher and the Death Rider, and simpler names like Whitey and Bigfoot are common in the chapter.

Organization

The organization of the Stygian Angels reflects Kirin's gang structure.  The chapter only recruits from their "city-planet" home.  Only the best and most promising young warriors are chosen, with no regard for prior affiliations, to become Space Marines.

Recruits from different gangs, following the example set down by Jaghatai Khan, are mixed together in squads.  Each squad become part of a Brotherhood, equivalent to a standard Company.  Separate Brotherhoods are identified by their differing helmet colors.

Unlike other Codex Chapters, and even their parent chapter, the Stygian Angels are entirely a mounted force.  They use Bike Squadrons and Land Speeders, reflecting their preferred style of warfare.  The chapter is also completely devoid of Devastator Squads, replacing those slow heavy weapons squads with Attack Bike Squadrons instead.  Fighting on foot is abhorrent to the chapter and Veterans do not use Tactical Dreadnought Armor, but remain in Veteran Bike Squadrons.  Finally, they do not possess any Dreadnoughts, as those are seen as the epitome of slow "stand and fight" warfare that is completely opposed to the Angels combat style.

Combat Tactics

The Stygian Angels are a completely mobile force, specializing in savage urban warfare reflecting their gang-like lives.  They make use of Bike Squadrons, Land Speeders, Storm Talons and other fast vehicles exclusively.  Heavily armored forces are left behind as the Angels outmaneuver the enemy and attack them at their weakest points again and again.

Their vehicles allow the Angels to get in range to use their weapons quickly, withdrawal fast and reposition themselves quickly for another attack.  Smaller forces are easily overrun by the Angels, while larger forces are confused as they are struck by mass attacks at different points repeatedly.

If an enemy goes to ground, taking up positions in terrain inhospitable to the chapter's mobile assaults, then the Angels use sustained orbital bombardments and air strikes to drive them into the open.  Once in the open, the Angels' massed assaults tear through them with ease.

The Angels are merciless killers.  Anything standing between them and the enemy is quickly destroyed.  Their methods are nothing if not brutally efficient.  It may seem cold hearted to others, but to the Angels it's all necessary to achieve the goals of the Emperor.

Prior to battle, squads are assigned to gangs.  Each gang has its own hierarchy, its leader is responsible for for directing their attacks.  If the leader falls, the next in command automatically takes over the attack.  Squad members follow their leaders without question, and their complete lack of the need to communicate during battle confuses friend and foe alike.

Geneseed

The geneseed of the Emperor's 5th Legion, the White Scars, and their Primarch Jaghatai Khan was given to the Stygian Angels by their predecessors the Storm Lords.  It remains pure and they remain loyal to the Imperium.

Edited by Ecritter

If you roll with Dusk Devils, I'm going to be thinking of vacuum cleaners every time XD. I'd recommend Dawn or Twilight Devils. I like the scheme, dig the symbol, but am on edge about the silent killers/assassins premise. I believe it could work, but it would take a lot of effort to not seem gimmicky or over the top. I assume that's everything you've got for now? Looks like a solid start, I'd say.

Well, doesn't have to be Devils ... just set on the Dusk, Dawn or Twilight theme.  Dusk Angels works too.

Guess I should explain what I meant by Silent Killers and Assassins.  Really I meant the marines are silent ... no communication during actions, and Assassins ... well they are cold efficient killers, flat out.

Edited by Ecritter

Must be Twilight, Dawn or Dusk theme name

The Dawn Wraiths?

no communication during actions,

How will they receive and give orders? yes you can say meticulous planners but they still will need to react to changing circumstances or problems that arrive.

+++++++++++

Its hard to say much more cause of the lack of info, but it I have the time I'll try and stick around for future c&c. Just try not to turn them into an assassin's creed rip.  I like the colour scheme by the way. 

The Dawn Wraiths?

eh .. maybe.

How will they receive and give orders? yes you can say meticulous planners but they still will need to react to changing circumstances or problems that arrive.

When your only plan is to kill everything that moves its easy.  Really I'll need to think some more on that one.

Just try not to turn them into an assassin's creed rip.

Not gonna steal from any other game ... that I know of at least.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/DuskPlateOrigins_zpsde2f8ef1.png

How is that for the Banner style?

Edited by Ecritter

Yeah, unless silence is part of their belief system, it doesn't make much sense, since they can limit their communication to internal comms, effectively appearing silent.

edit: I don't see what a Space Marine Chapter could ever take from AC anyway.

Epic banner, though I would suggest a very light blur around the edges of the text and symbol, to help them blend into the banner. Right now they look very rendered.

Edited by Messor

Yeah, unless silence is part of their belief system, it doesn't make much sense, since they can limit their communication to internal comms, effectively appearing silent.

Yeah, I can go with no communications outside the Chapter ... so they'd appear silent to everyone else.

I have a hard time with the silent assassin sort of theme.  Space Marines are shock troops as a standard.  The closest to an assassin Chapter would be Raven Guard, I think.  They're sneaky, and aim for soft spots, but still very loud and very destructive when they hit.  Superpowered guerrillas rather than assassins, more or less.

Scouts, sure, silent assassins works just fine.  But as a Chapter wide theme...kinda iffy.  You'd have to be very clever about making that work.

Not speaking a word to anyone outside the Chapter is a catchy thought though. It teeters the line between creepy and bad ass quite well.

Dusk Guard

Dusk Wardens

Dusk Men

Duskwatch

Dawnwatch...

Also, I'm gonna have to pick your brain to discover how you do that photoshopping :tongue.:

Edited by Firepower

Epic banner, though I would suggest a very light blur around the edges of the text and symbol, to help them blend into the banner. Right now they look very rendered.

It may be hard to tell with the dark background, but those are all cutouts in the banner (symbol and words).  And don't forget, I stole the idea from you. :P

Ah, that is clearer now. In that case, I would suggest a simple drop shadow if possible, which'll make it clear and sort of highlight everything. Heh, I've hardly been more pleased to have an idea 'knicked'!

Like this?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/DuskPlateOrigins2_zps4cd6f6b9.png

Can't even see the shadow with this background.  How about this?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/DuskPlateOrigins3_zps7c2bddf1.png

Edited by Ecritter

Like others have said, silent killers is a hard theme to intertwine with the core themes of the Astartes - eight foot killing machines don't make for the most stealthy of operatives. That being said, it can be done if the idea is diluted to take into account more standard battles. Remember, the Imperium has assassins to do the role of assassins, so they don't need a chapter dedicated to the task. However, a chapter that takes a more stealthy approach to warfare, a little more brain than brawn. The opposite of many combat chapters, in which it is drop in and kill everything, your chapter could put more time into their approach. Not to self promote, I did that same thing with my version of the Black Guard, who are as close as I wanted to push the stealth aspect of Space Marines..

As for the silent theme, you could have them only use sign language in front of non-chapter members, and have a number of serfs whose job it is to translate. This could either be based on a belief that they are superior and others don't deserve to hear the voice of the Angels of the Emperor, or a sworn oath not to speak. It would need to be worked in, otherwise it would seem like a tacked on idea with no real roots in the chapter.

Stygian, good word.  Dramatic but not cheesy :)  I think Guard rolls of the tongue better than Angels, but keep playing with it.

On Ferrata's idea- I think having servitors with pre-arranged data wafers would be better than sign language.  The servitor only has a handful of responses available, and that's that, like even having a machine-slave speak to others is only done begrudgingly.  Though this wouldn't make quite as much sense if they were just sworn to silence in a monk-ish style, in which case, sign language.  Sure. :)

If you go down the route of sign language, you could use the Scouts as translators. As in, only upon attaining the rank of Battle-Brother do they take the vow of silence. I think the Sisters of Silence had a similar system. Just marks out full Brothers a little bit more.

Their prefered means of prosecuting the Emperor's wars could be to very quietly deploy behind enemy lines and patiently take possition.

Their Battle Barge could translate into a system way, way out in the Oort Cloud and drift its way into the system over the course of years with everything bar the most basic essentials switched off. As they drift past the planet, still at some considerable distance, they fire the drop-pods. The drop pods, although traveling quite quickly towards the planet, have no energy output except for the final moments of decent when its too close to detect in anycase. The Astartes are in suspended animation for all but the last few minuites of this trip to minimise their psy-signature. The world now has a company or two of marines on it and is in total ignorance of this fact.

Each squad then finds a target and they strike together. Then they all find another target and strike together.

Targets can be anything from a reble Govenour's entire extended family, friends and damn near the entire aristocracy to fusion reactors and comunications equipment.

By the time the guard turn up they are not going to be fighting a foe in top condition. They will be fighting a world fragmented into nation states suffering peasant rebelions all of whom are jumping at shadows and suffering infrastructure collapse.

Once the Guard show up the Astartes may revert back to more traditional roles.

Perhaps they have read history and see themselves as hopeful monsters. The things they do and need to do are monsterous and they have no illusions about that. They may be mind-wiped convicts, a death row harvest from half a sector as a means of recruitment. When Horus marched towards the holy land of Terra Astartes was his vanguard.

Been awhile for me, so I guess its time to get back to work on a new chapter.  Here's my thoughts so far.

Name

- Dusk Devils

- Must be Twilight, Dawn or Dusk theme name

Origins

- Pending, maybe that pre-heresy idea I had for the Bear Chapter 

- Founding Pending

Geneseed

- Pending, perhaps UMs but to me it doesn't matter

Combat Tactics

- Silent Killers

- Merciless

- Assassins

- Brutally efficient

- Cold

Images

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/sunrise2_zps507c5777.png

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/spacemarine-1_zps966c69ae.jpg

Thoughts anyone?

I'm going with Stygian Angels I guess (kinda gothic form of Hell's Angels :smile.: )

Silent, I'll have to work on to get the theme I wanted ... not really sign language.  I do know the Sisters of Silence talked up until taking the oath.  I think I'll go with silent to outsiders mostly.

Soddinnutter ... taking years to float into range to attack, well it really will go against the brutal efficiency I'm going for.

DER13 ... confused to say the least on your post.

Will be updating the first post in a few moments, with current thoughts .. the starting to work out the details over the next week.  And new banners too.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/StygianAngelsPlateOrigins_zps2b5f24cc.png

Edited by Ecritter

I take it you aren't gonna paint up any of these guys with a Chapter Emblem like that? :teehee:

I agree though, drifting in silence for years or even months is out of character for Space Marines in general, really.

You will bestow unto me the knowledge of bannercraft, or face my wrath!

But something I don't see just yet is a real theme or core idea to the Chapter.  Everything but the lack of speech is fairly common or downright generic.  The origins and to some extent gene-seed really are the bits that matter, because they define the Chapter's disposition, character, nature, perspective, and favorite ice cream flavors.  The Combat Doctrine doesn't define much of anything, and 2 (arguably 3) of the 4 you have already are pretty much modus operandi for any standard Chapter.  What you do have is a very cool Chapter name. :D

So yeah, theme.  Give us a theme, and we can start mangling...er, 'helping' your ideas along from there ;)

Okay Theme .... Hell's Angels biker gang.  There you go.  Going with WS geneseed (2nd hand for now, maybe 3rd or 4th later).

No ... not gonna paint up these guys, I already have my Sons army painted, no need for another.

Got a quote for you too.

"We only do two things, kick ass and chew gum ... and we're all outta gum."
Edited by Ecritter

Sooo, the theme is modeled after an gang/terrorist organization of drug running, arms trading, territorial thugs? Sounds like a hard thing to apply to Space Marines. :biggrin.:

Loyalist Spce Marines, anyway. A lot of that sounds fairly Night Lord-ish.

On foundings, it's like Messor said. Unless you want the Chapter to be created in response to a specific event(s), the only thoughts are old, young, Cursed or Dark.

It sounds more like it would fit a renegade chapter really, Drugs and arms trading doesnt really suit the traditional space marine theme...

i suppose if they were based on the same kind of backround as the night lords it would work for loyalists

anyway all sounds really cool so far